• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Like Tree7Likes
    • 7 Post By spellbee2

Thread: New Lifeboat IRC Chat

Moderator Achievements:
      3 years registered Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Tagger Second Class Populated Wall Vivid Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      Like a lot
      Florida
      DJ Entries

New Lifeboat IRC Chat

Greetings, everyone!

As you may know, the forum had an extended downtime on March 26, which caused many of the features of the forum to stop working. One of these features that was broken was the forum's user database connection with the IRC chat. As such, any user registered after March 26 is unable to join the chat, and any username/password changes made on the forum are not reflected in the chat.

As a temporary workaround, we have set up a "Lifeboat Chat", to be used until the official chat is fixed. I have tried my best to make it as similar to the current chat as possible, including using qwebirc for a webchat client for easy access. However, without a forum login database connection, we had to get a bit "creative" with the user verification process. Don't worry, we've tried our best to make this as easy for you as possible, with the help of a bit of automation and a whole lotta mlem. Just use the following steps:

TL;DR Current chat is still borked, here's how to access the new temporary chat:

1. Send a Private Message to MlemBot with the subject IRC Request. The body of the message can be anything, but the subject must be IRC Request, with nothing else.
      2. Soon after sending the PM, you should receive a reply from MlemBot with your randomly-generated password, and instructions to access the webchat client. This usually takes about 5-10 minutes, but can sometimes take up to an hour. If you do not receive this PM within 24 hours, please PM me, and I will fix it for you when I can.
      3. To access the webchat, click here: Lifeboat IRC Chat, and sign in with the username and password provided by MlemBot (the link to the chat is also in the PM from MlemBot). Do not use the "Chat" button on the forum navigation bar - that will take you to the original, currently-broken chat.
      4. If you wish to use an IRC client instead of the webchat, you can follow our IRC Client Tutorials, substituting 34.210.42.212 instead of irc.dreamviews.com, and your password from MlemBot instead of your DV password.
      5. Eat, chat, and be merry!

Remember that normal chat rules still apply to the Lifeboat Chat (you can view those here). Also, keep in mind that this chat will only be used until the forum connection for the official DreamViews IRC chat is re-established. Once the official IRC is fixed, the Lifeboat chat will be disconnected, and the party will move back to the normal chat.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Sweet dreams,
      spellbee2
      Last edited by spellbee2; 09-11-2017 at 07:49 AM.
      anderj101, Mismagius, gab and 4 others like this.
      "Going through life worrying about the little things is like cooking with motor oil instead of cooking oil. Sure, you can still probably pull it off, but it'll leave a bad taste in your mouth in retrospect." - Me, apparently

2015: 101 LDs, 2016: 114 LDs

DreamViews IRC Chat!