• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

UK

The physical experience of Sleep Paralysis.

Seems to me that there are a few stages as we progress to SP, and it would be good to chart them out so people know what they might expect. So here's my (Second) attempt at setting them out:-

1st stage is getting numb. When I say this I don't mean "absence of feeling". I mean numb like when you have a dead arm, or your mouth after having been to the dentist. That pins and needles feeling. You may be very relaxed and getting that “lead blanket” feeling where it seems difficult to move (but you’re not actually paralysed).

2nd stage is a warm tingling wave that tends to rise across your body from head to toe (some describe it as a mild electric shock). A fairly gentle transitional experience, but not the main event. This I think is SP “switching on”.

Heres an extract form one of the tutorials...

5. With time may you notice mild vibrations and that your body becomes paralyzed. At that point will you notice that you no longer have any problem concentrating, everything becomes clear, stop concentrating on your breathing and just be aware of your surroundings. Some time later will you begin to experience “second vibrations.” If you begin to loose consciousness, start paying attention to any light in your vision or any internal sound.
      3rd stage which is the vibrations or feeling of movement. caused by your bodies switching from external stimuli (touch, hearing, sight) to internally generated stimuli. You might hear noises or see hallucinations which aren’t real.

Some also describe what seems like a difficulty in breathing. I'm not sure, but this seems to be to describe your body switching to an automatic reflex. In reality your getting more than enough air, it just feels like your breathing quicker and shallower than you would during the day.

There may also be a pressure in the chest and head. A lot of people describe the feeling of their heart beat quickening. This may be excitement, but has been described as just another illusion created in the change from awake to dream mode.

It would be great to here comments and experiences of others.
      So what do you think guys?
      Last edited by moonshine; 12-16-2008 at 07:49 PM.
      Lucid Dreams:-
      MILD/DILD: 79
      WILD: 13
      DEILD:13
      (TOTAL: 108 )

with the power of 28!! seeker28's Avatar
      Idaho, USA; the back end of nowhere.
      It is important to point out that each person's experience of SP can be diffrent. Many individuals will have very diffrent sensations with SP each time they have it. Some feel vibrations, shocks, hot or cold, rippling sensations, like they are floating, like they are falling, like they are being dragged off the bed, pressure, difficulty breathing, etc. So many noobs freak out when their experience of SP is not exactly as described in the tutorials.
      LD tasks of the month completed: 16
      Read some of my writing:
      http://dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=52477

Visit my deviantart gallery:
      http://seeker28.deviantart.com/

For me, that electric shock happens at the end of the experience, before being thrown into a LD, and its like a REAL electric shock,
      not some tingling.
      I mean my body is shaking and pins and needles full throb, for like 10-20 secs, with knocking on the wall and sounds like a earthquake.
      Everything before that is just lightly waves and subtle changes.
      IMO that fierce shock and knocking is SP, the rest is leading up to it.
      Hence, my SP lasts about 10-20 seconds.
      Last edited by DreamChaser; 12-18-2008 at 07:53 PM.
      REALITY CHECK

UK
      Quote Originally Posted by seeker28 View Post
      It is important to point out that each person's experience of SP can be diffrent. Many individuals will have very diffrent sensations with SP each time they have it. Some feel vibrations, shocks, hot or cold, rippling sensations, like they are floating, like they are falling, like they are being dragged off the bed, pressure, difficulty breathing, etc. So many noobs freak out when their experience of SP is not exactly as described in the tutorials.
      True. Some may not notice it at all.
      The feelings you describe, would they be stage 3?
      Is the stage 2 wave in advance of the same quite common?

Not trying to cause trouble, but...
      Sleep "Paralysis".
      Meaning paralised.
      So why is all the visualisations, HI, tingling etc called SP.
      Paralysis means you are paralised yes?
      So hence the paralysis part, is the SP (where your body is paralised - can't move)

Otherwise I will call closing my eyes part of SP, because its leading up to it.
      REALITY CHECK

UK
      Quote Originally Posted by DreamChaser View Post
      Not trying to cause trouble, but...
      Sleep "Paralysis".
      Meaning paralised.
      So why is all the visualisations, HI, tingling etc called SP.
      Paralysis means you are paralised yes?
      So hence the paralysis part, is the SP (where your body is paralised - can't move)
      Otherwise I will call closing my eyes part of SP, because its leading up to it.
      Don't disagree with you Dreamchaser.
      Here's the first sentence of my original post...
      Quote Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
      Seems to me that there are a few stages as we progress to SP...

Don't disagree with you Dreamchaser.
      Here's the first sentence of my original post...
      Ok, so these are 3 stages leading up to SP, and then there is real SP?
      Your title is "The physical experience of Sleep Paralysis", and you have discussed then the stages up to SP.
      Since SP is far more than those, hence heavy shocking, heavy vibrations, strong muscle clenching for some etc, however you did mention halucinations.
      I am a bit confused from your title then.
      Have you ever had SP? I know people have diff effects, but if the 3rd stage is SP, I welcome it every night.

Maybe "Stages leading to SP" may have been a better title?

It would be great to here comments and experiences of others.
      So what do you think guys?
      Last edited by DreamChaser; 12-20-2008 at 07:44 PM.
      REALITY CHECK

UK
      Ok, so these are 3 stages leading up to SP, and then there is real SP?
      Your title is "The physical experience of Sleep Paralysis", and you have discussed then the stages up to SP.
      Since SP is far more than those, hence heavy shocking, heavy vibrations, strong muscle clenching for some etc, however you did mention halucinations.
      I am a bit confused from your title then.
      Have you ever had SP? I know people have diff effects, but if the 3rd stage is SP, I welcome it every night.

Maybe "Stages leading to SP" may have been a better title?
      Maybe. I'll just need to let the post do the talking.

I experienced the same, and I think I've gone into sleep paralysis.
      But it was at the start of the night so there was no dream.

south UK
      DJ Entries
      NO NO NO NO. this will not turn into another, 'what is the actual definition of sleep paralysis' discussion.
      the same thing happened last time moonshine presented the exact same question. it turned into a termonology rant.

iv found that iv experienced the first 2 stages of what moonshine said, but at the second stage, i think i get to excited and the whole thing stops.
      i suppose the ultimate solution to stop this excitment is to keep trying it over and over again until i get used to the feelings/ sensations, and can stay calm

Quote Originally Posted by pond weed View Post
      NO NO NO NO. this will not turn into another, 'what is the actual definition of sleep paralysis' discussion.
      the same thing happened last time moonshine presented the exact same question. it turned into a termonology rant.

iv found that iv experienced the first 2 stages of what moonshine said, but at the second stage, i think i get to excited and the whole thing stops.
      i suppose the ultimate solution to stop this excitment is to keep trying it over and over again until i get used to the feelings/ sensations, and can stay calm
      I think it's a good debate.
      It is good discussion, just shouldn't get too heated.
      I have no personal grievances here.
      Lets face it, SP and all its lead up stages are both scary and cool.
      We all want to achieve it, so why not talk about it.
      REALITY CHECK

south UK
      DJ Entries
      im sure if you ask moonshine, he'll post up to thread for when he asked the same question and there were about 5 pages of a termonology debate about the "true" definition of REM and sleep paralysis which had completely nothing to do with moonshines question.
      i spent a good half an hour reading through it to try and find the answere to his question, which he ended up posting up himself.

also, is it possible to be 'too' aware of the body. i experience what moonshine talks about, and am VERY aware of it, can one be to much aware of the body to enter SP, that could be my problem, i dunno

Here's a quote from the Lucid Dreamers Manual:

"...that is very similar to sleep paralysis there is plenty of
      fear to overcome as well as the occasional sensing of another presence in the room combined with the
      hallucinatory visuals and sounds. It seems to be an overwhelming fear of the unknown that fuels the fire
      and puts you in a rather unique mindset. A huge adrenaline rush courses through your body along with an
      accompanying wave of vibrations that ripples intensely throughout your body. In the hundreds of lucid
      dreams I have had, I have rarely experienced anything so bizarrely intense as this pulsating electrical
      wave."

It describes exactly what I experience, and shows the strength that the onslought of SP exerts.
      REALITY CHECK

UK
      Here's a quote from the Lucid Dreamers Manual:

"...that is very similar to sleep paralysis there is plenty of
      fear to overcome as well as the occasional sensing of another presence in the room combined with the
      hallucinatory visuals and sounds. It seems to be an overwhelming fear of the unknown that fuels the fire
      and puts you in a rather unique mindset. A huge adrenaline rush courses through your body along with an
      accompanying wave of vibrations that ripples intensely throughout your body. In the hundreds of lucid
      dreams I have had, I have rarely experienced anything so bizarrely intense as this pulsating electrical
      wave."

It describes exactly what I experience, and shows the strength that the onslought of SP exerts.
      There is definately no mistaking it.

One of the main reasons I asked this question was because of the number of times I read the simple statement "if you can move your not in SP" to other peoples experiences.Now this may well be true, but it always seemed unhelpful and very dismissive of what people were actually experiencing. For example the 2nd stage wave is a very strange and unusual experience, but isn't full SP. You might however be mistaken for thinking it was.

All I really want to do is see if we can't broadly set out the general physical/physiological aspects of the process.

One of the coolest things about DV is the commonality of our respective experiences in Lucid dreaming.

Thanks Pondweed for making your point on semantics.
      I don't think Dreamchaser has any particular axe to grind.
      Thanks to dreamchaser for taking the time to respond.

Do you guys try to get into SP at the start of sleep, or in the middle of WBTB?

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Dogood View Post
      Do you guys try to get into SP at the start of sleep, or in the middle of WBTB?
      Keeping it simple:
      At going to bed, it is very hard to go into SP, as you go from conscious to a non-REM stage.
      Remember SP is a paralysis to stop your body moving during REM.
      At a WBTB, you hopefully have awoken in between REM stages and in going back to bed, hopefully you go to the beginning of the next REM stage.
      REM periods in the morning are strongest and longest too.
      Only people well rehearsed in Meditation, WILDing and/or hit REM very early in their sleep cycles can ever pull off a WILD (With an SP start) at going to bed at night.
      It is very rare. So all those trying from going to bed at night to WILD (or hit SP), maybe try a WBTB. There is no easy out.
      I, for example, start dreaming lightly from around 2.30am. I know this from extensive testing of waking and seeing if I have dreampt yet.
      Go with the proven odds. Your chances are a lot higher in the early morning, and if you dont WBTB and get up vertical, it will be hard not to fall asleep towards SP too.
      IMO only.
      Last edited by DreamChaser; 12-22-2008 at 12:01 AM.
      REALITY CHECK