Thread: Task of the Year 2017

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made Friends on DV
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by gab View Post
      Did you remove the wheels?
      No, I kinda felt they were necessary

Also, please post pertinent part of the dream here as well. Thanksies.
      Sure, sorry I forgot about that
      I reach a racing track, with many cars at their starting positions. Thinking about dv TotY, I approach one car, open the hood, take the engine with both hands, pick it up and throw it away. For good meeasure, I also remove the exhaust pipe, and throw it away, too
      I sit in the car, turn the key, it makes no sound, but using the pedals make it move anyway. I pass a car on its right, and I hear the other car's engine at my left, moving from front to back; it's very convincing.
      I go on with the car race, follow some curves, pass more cars, but I don't recall completing the race

gab
      Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by GenghisKhan View Post
      No, I kinda felt they were necessary
      Haha, good point. But the task is to remove the engine and the wheels.

Car-Drive a car that has no tires and no engine
      I missed this detail myself, only noticed it after someone else said thay removed the tires, haha. I'm like why? Now I know : D

Member Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Haha, good point. But the task is to remove the engine and the wheels.
      Oh snap, I didn't read about wheels at all...

Moderator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Huge Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal Populated Wall
      LD Count
      WHY DO YOU CARE
      DJ Entries
      Here is the completed Ride a Dragon and Ride a Sled.
      TOTY Task = 5 stars.

Spoiler for Task of the Year- Ride a Sled:

Spoiler for Task of the Year- Ride a Dragon:
      Last edited by Lang; 08-16-2022 at 09:10 PM.
      gab, obfusc8 and Verre like this.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class Referrer Gold
      The Depths
      DJ Entries
      Gonna wait to do the rest for the competition.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      DJ Entries
      Did you remove the wheels? Also, please post pertinent part of the dream here as well. Thanksies.

You too, obfusc8

dangit, you too, sensei !

Link to DJ entry AND relevant part of the dream here in the thread, por favores.
      <PoshBritishAccent>Whoops so terribly sorry ma'am</PoshBritishAccent>

Spoiler for Car TOTY:

Car Toty DJ Entry
      gab likes this.

Member Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      This morning during WILD I properly do the engine-less, wheel-less car ride TotY, with Ferrari Testarossa

LINK TO DJ

Relevant part:
      Spoiler for Car ride TotY:

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class Referrer Gold
      The Depths
      DJ Entries
      Ride Car TOTY 2017 ★★★★☆ - Dream Journals - Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views
      link and relevant part

Spoiler for car!:

Intrepid Explorer Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      LD Count
      ~312
      DJ Entries

I misremembered the TOTY last night as 'drink fermented milk'!
      My dreaming mind is so weird.
      If you want to read it, (don't worry it's short),
      TOTY - fail (false memory) - Dream Journals - Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views
      gab, Sensei and Verre like this.
      Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

Member Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      This morning I succeed on the dragon ride TotY !

LINK TO DJ (WILD#1)

Relevant part
      Spoiler for Dragon ride TotY:

Member Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      I had trouble recalling tasks last night and tried riding a horse, and riding a train then causing a wreck, and contemplated riding on a flying crow. So yeah. Then eventually I recalled the saucer task, but didn't get to another planet. Well done, brain! (Gah!)

Spoiler for Flying saucer attempt:

DJ entry
      gab likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class Vivid Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      the Pacific Ocean
      DJ Entries
      I tried the dolphin task last night but I haven't been real good with teleporting lately. Obfusc8's failed attempt came to mind as the dolphin moved to dry land and started walking upright on its tail.

Spoiler for dolphin task fail:
      obfusc8, gab and Verre like this.

Member Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Well, I thought the dolphin task would have come easier to you, with such a forum nick and avatar

Member Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class Vivid Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      the Pacific Ocean
      DJ Entries
      I usually don't have any problems summoning or riding dolphins but teleporting on one is trickier for me. Maybe I just have to go really fast as Ibeauty did.
      Sensei and gab like this.

Member Achievements:
      The Depths
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
      I usually don't have any problems summoning or riding dolphins but teleporting on one is trickier for me. Maybe I just have to go really fast as Ibeauty did.
      Dolphin, have you tried "perspective" changing? you pretty much move based on perspective instead of 3 dimensions. Instead of chasing the dolphin, just set your foot on him from a long ways away.
      Best I can find on perspective is this old vine star.
      https://youtu.be/xRY-r9vcnwo

some of them are pretty bad, but some of them are good and fun dream control with perspective shifting.

Member Achievements:
      the Pacific Ocean
      DJ Entries
      Hmm... I think so. One time I teleported to outer space by looking down while jumping up and imagining the world was getting smaller. In another dream in space I flew past a moon by imagining the moon was flying past me rather than me flying past the moon.

I understand how looking at things in a different way could make dream control easier.

I was thinking to teleport while riding the dolphin, I could simply look down and expect to be in Atlantis when I look up.
      Sensei and gab like this.

Member Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      @dolphin - sorry my failed attempt screwed things up for you. We must have found uncooperative dolphins, but I'm sure there will be some helpful ones if we keep trying!

Spoiler for Saucer TOTY close-but no-cigar FAILURE:

DJ Entry of the above

Forgot to ask them to teach me something. Darn it.
      dolphin and gab like this.

gab
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
      Dolphin, have you tried "perspective" changing? you pretty much move based on perspective instead of 3 dimensions. Instead of chasing the dolphin, just set your foot on him from a long ways away.
      Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
      Hmm... I think so. One time I teleported to outer space by looking down while jumping up and imagining the world was getting smaller. In another dream in space I flew past a moon by imagining the moon was flying past me rather than me flying past the moon.
      I find this way of manipulating space or traveling interesting. It happened to me few times, without me doing it on purpose. I would look at something at distance with desire to see it in more detail, and my vision would "zoom in". As if I had binoculars. Then few times it actually teleported me, when again my vision would zoom in, and suddenly rest of my body followed.

Then I read in some OBE book about teleporting by stretching front of your body to the location and then pull rest of you there. I tried this on purpose and it was so weirdly wonderful. I will try this to go to the moon. I failed at this so many times, because in flight, I lose contact with the dream. So maybe keeping my feet on the ground while stretching and grabbing the moon would work.

Moderator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Huge Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal Populated Wall
      LD Count
      WHY DO YOU CARE
      DJ Entries
      Completed 6 of 7 TOTY Task. Fly a Plane.

Spoiler for Fly a Plane. Success completed:
      Last edited by Lang; 08-16-2022 at 09:09 PM.
      naturespirit and obfusc8 like this.

Member Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Yesterday Jan-10th success for Sled LINK TO DJ

Spoiler for Sled TotY:

Today Jan-11th success for Plane LINK TO DJ

Spoiler for Plane TotY:

Hope I didn't miss anything

Moderator Achievements:
      LD Count
      WHY DO YOU CARE
      DJ Entries
      Keep up the great work!!

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      377+
      DJ Entries

Completed Car-Drive Task

So i attempted this task two times. the one time i wasted most of the lucid looking for a specific room in a big building with a lot of floors. as i finally decided fuck this this makes no sense lets do the toty:

Spoiler for first attempt:

Spoiler for tonights attempt and completion:
      Sensei, gab and obfusc8 like this.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      never enough!
      DJ Entries
      Despite a botched attempt at a TOTM last night, I believe I did successfully pull off the "Elephant ride" TOTY... if not as stylishly as I had intended!

Full dream report here (at over 3500 words, possibly my longest screed ever! Sorry!): Fading Gift (WILD) and Elephant Ride (DILD)

And here, for your convenience, is the excerpt relevant to the task:

The dream felt reasonably stable, so I wondered if I might attempt one of the TOTYs. I recalled the "riding" theme, but unfortunately, I hadn't looked at the list lately and couldn't remember the specifics very well. There was a window here... maybe I could summon a bird and ride it through the night sky? That sounded fun, but I didn't think it was on the list. The only one I could clearly remember was the elephant ride, because my studies have given me such a distinct impression of how elephants were used in battle in pre-modern Siam. I had always planned to try that one, but how do I get from my dream bedroom to pre-modern Siam?

I tried to remember the transportation spell from Harry Potter, but the command wasn't coming to me. All I could recall was "flue" something, and anyway there were no fireplaces in this bedroom (unlike my WL bedroom, which does have one!) I decided my best bet was probably the window. I knew you needed to mount an elephant from someplace high, so if I could summon one over, I could probably just descend from the window directly to its back. Then once I was on the elephant, it would be easier to get to Siam. On the way to the window, I felt impelled to opened the middle drawer of the dresser as I walked past. It was nearly empty, with just a few stray pieces of clothing... but in the far right corner was the gleam of gold. It was a pile of chocolate coins! You know the ones, disks of chocolate wrapped in gold foil stamped like currency. These were a few different sizes. I realized these might come in handy if I ended up having to buy the elephant, so I grabbed a handful and put them in my pocket.

I opened the window and felt the cool night air. The window was on the second storey, as I had anticipated, but looking out, I actually recognized that this looked nothing like my house. To the left, I could see a garage door extending perpendicularly to the wall my window was in. The house appeared to be painted beige. Across the driveway, which ran next to this wall to meet the garage, there was a wide grassy yard bordered by trees. I looked up at the night sky above the trees to see if there were any familiar constellations, and immediate recognized Orion. Of course... it seems anywhere I go, I see Orion, even in a dream. He was at an angle, almost on his side, just over the treetops... but not exactly the same in WL. At first I counted four stars in his belt, instead of the usual three. The more I looked at it, the more stars accumulated, but only in certain areas, so pretty soon Orion appeared to be wearing not only a belt, but also a brassiere, which amused me, and a crown. The crown had spikes pointing upward, like the common representation of crowns in modern iconography, but matching spikes adorned the brassiere and belt. At this point the whole shape of the constellation was getting a bit thin and stretched, and while I'm sure these transformations could go on indefinitely, right now I needed an elephant.

I knew my husband was in the next room, probably working, and even though I suspected this was dream logic, I hesitated to shout lest I annoy him. (Though I suppose it is still reasonable not to want to annoy the dream husband.) So I tried to summon the elephant quietly. Nothing happened. After trying for a bit without results, I decided to take a more dramatic approach. I stepped through the window and jumped, setting my intention for there to be an elephant down there, so I could land on its back.

There wasn't. But the results were promising nonetheless... from unconstructed dream space, I managed to conjure something plausibly like the interior of a palace in Siam. It was a bit of a hack job, without much detail, and I confess the throne was far too low (must not have been the formal audience hall), but it was sufficient for my purposes. There were various ministers standing around (another embarrassingly inaccurate detail; no courtiers would stand in the presence of the king in early nineteenth-century Siam! Good gracious!) and the king was on the throne, but a bit vague. My initial impression was that he resembled the recently deceased Rama IX, but that troubled me because I was going for an earlier era. I tried to make him look more like Rama III, but it wasn't working very well, so in the end I just didn't look too closely. At any rate, the king was vague enough that he didn't quibble when I handed over my handful of chocolate coins and requested an elephant. I didn't feel like getting into complex negotiations; I just allowed myself assume the success of the transaction and walked away.

As I exited the interior of the palace and momentarily noticed the bright sunlight reflecting off the whitewashed arch of the doorway, I felt a flash of familiarity. Of course, I thought to myself, This must be the Grand Palace, I've been here a few times. I let my memory conjure something akin to the elephant-mounting station I remembered observing there, and walked over to it. There was no elephant there presently, so I waited for someone to bring it around... and started getting impatient. No one seemed to be doing much, or paying attention to my repeated request. They must not understand English, I considered. I'll have to try it in Thai.

"Chang!" I shouted, the Thai word for elephant. "Ma nee!" I realized how rude I must sound: while "ma nee" would probably be correctly understood as "come here," or, given the contextual clues, "bring it here" as I had intended, it was a terribly rough and simple way of speaking. It was the sort of thing you might say to call a dog. I hadn't even appended a perfunctory "kha" at the end. But then I started wondering what level of politeness would be proper in this situation. I was in the palace, which made things more difficult, because royal Thai is another ballgame altogether. But what was my own social standing here? In speaking roughly I was assuming a great deal of authority... maybe that was not so bad in this situation. Fortunately, I saw my elephant being brought around before I was able to go too deep down the rabbit hole of Thai honorifics.

It was a disappointing elephant, by any standards... not only small but kind of flabby and soft, a cartoonish cross between a real baby elephant and Dumbo. Moreover it was completely unadorned, with no harness or howdah. I momentarily wondered if the lack was due to an inadequate mental impression of what a howdah should look like? But no, I could picture it clearly enough in my imagination... it just wasn't on the elephant. I guess that's what I get for being rude to the staff. To add insult to injury, they didn't even properly lead the elephant to the mounting station—though it was probably too small to get on from there anyway—they just dumped it on the stairs, where it crumpled over weakly. On the bright side, this made it easy to clamber up on its neck, so I did so and prepared to forge on.

I knew I had to enter a battle, so we promptly exited the city. I had thought to do this properly on a magnificent war elephant with a howdah and a driver and four soldiers to guard the legs—I've seen plenty of paintings and movies of proper war elephants in action—but instead I was alone, bareback with no weapon, on the most pathetic elephant I've ever seen. But at least in dream there was no risk of actually falling in battle, so I figured I could make do.

We had barely gone past the city walls when I saw the invaders approaching from the jungle. That wasn't much of a stretch; it seemed like Ayutthaya was always under attack. (I had originally envisioned myself in Bangkok, but had already slipped back to an earlier era more appropriate for elephant combat). The invaders were on horseback, I noticed, and I was relieved to see that they were only coming in ones and twos, given that I was going to have to take them on alone. They had long black hair and Asian features, and naturally I assumed that they were Burmese... until I got close enough to swing at one and saw the pointed ears. Elves?! Last night I was playing Witcher II and Pillars of Eternity, and the portrait of Aloth in the latter game closely resembled these invaders, but I wasn't sure why they were showing up here. Also, I'm fond of elves and felt loathe to fight them. Fortunately, our combat was more play-acting than anything. I had a good mental image of the kind of long-handled glaive I should be wielding, but though I swung it toward the elves and they gamely mimed being struck, the weapon did not visibly appear in my hands—and I was thankful that it drew no blood.

So I marched forward on my pathetic elephant, going through the motions of bashing the elves (elves?!) with my invisible glaive, while they went through the motions of being knocked aside, until the jungle started to coalesce into a new kind of space, a kind of wide passage under an increasingly low ceiling. The texture of the ceiling interested me, and from my position atop the elephant I could reach up and just touch it. It was covered with a kind of thick cloth, like a yellowish patterned felt, and I reached into the seams between two pieces and felt something hard and smooth. I pulled it out and found an object streaked with yellow and brown that resembled a wild bird's egg, but it was too hard and irregular, so I thought it must be a stone. I slipped it into my pocket. The felt overhead was gaping at the seams so I grabbed it and tore it off, revealing a kind of wide hatch with a knob for a handle. I wondered what it might be concealing so I pulled it open... and found the dream space deconstructing, muffling me in a soft blankety texture. Instinctively I tried to protect myself by putting the stone I had just found in my mouth, but I was still being enveloped in the stuff. I tried to pull at it with my hands, and as my fingers sank into it I was struck by the familiarity of the texture, like coarse sheep's wool—not the clean feel of a fleece, but the dirty, oily texture it has when it is still on the sheep. That was the last thing I felt before waking.
      Lang, gab, RelaxAndDream and 1 others like this.
      "You have to play the game to find out why you're playing the game." —eXistenZ (1999)

gab
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Verre View Post
      Despite a botched attempt at a TOTM last night, I believe I did successfully pull off the "Elephant ride" TOTY... if not as stylishly as I had intended!

Full dream report here (at over 3500 words, possibly my longest screed ever! Sorry!): Fading Gift (WILD) and Elephant Ride (DILD)

And here, for your convenience, is the excerpt relevant to the task:
      WOW, that reads like an exciting novel. Well done!

Moderator Achievements:
      LD Count
      WHY DO YOU CARE
      DJ Entries
      Probably 3644 words- 19607 characters. Keep up the great work!
      Verre and RelaxAndDream like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast