• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Like Tree248Likes

Thread: RAISE YOUR HAND!! - Intro Class Q&A

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal 3 years registered
      DJ Entries
      Thanks CanisLucidus, that clears it up. I didn't think it counted as a lucid dream, but I now know what to do next time this happens. I'll check out the podcast when I have time.
      CanisLucidus likes this.

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by CanisLucidus View Post
      Hey GTom! Setting an intention certainly can't hurt. In particular, I'd recommend some visualization pre-bed or during WBTB, if that's your thing. Picture what flying will be like for you as a form of practice for the "real thing" when the time comes.

As for how I learned to fly, I actually started off by performing "Hulk jumps" around the dreamworld. This is one of those jumps where you just leap hundreds of feet into the air, sort of like The Incredible Hulk. For whatever reason, this was intuitive and easy for me. It's something I just naturally believed that I could do.

What I'd advise is just think about what style of flight sounds most natural and comfortable to you. What could you see yourself doing? If you visualize yourself flying, how do you look?

I'd say to just use this style of flight first. Next lucid dream, just start flying. Believe that you are rising up into the air and flying. Not that you will do it, but that it's happening to you right now. If you encounter glitches or hang-ups in your flight, just deny that they're happening. Seriously. Just keep thinking about how well it's going, that your flying is just fine, etc.

Confidence and intent is everything! And never underestimate how much confidence can be generated via simple denial. Good luck... you are going to love flying!
      Thanks a lot! I'll try that tonight
      CanisLucidus likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by GTom View Post
      Thanks a lot! I'll try that tonight
      Oh, I thought of another flying tip! If you have trouble getting moving, pick a destination or "target" spot and focus on it. Imagine yourself getting closer to it or zooming in on it. I did this in one of my lucids from this morning and I realized that I had not mentioned it!
      GTom likes this.

Dreaming Partner: Dreamer

Professional Nose-Booper Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Stickie King Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall 50000 Hall Points
      DJ Entries
      Hey guys, I just got back from moving, and waiting a week to get my internet back! So I'll be catching up in here as well as overdue PM replies. Just letting y'all know.

Glad to see y'all were in very good hands though. Thank you CanisLucidus for keeping this ship afloat, as usual <3
      CanisLucidus likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      DJ Entries
      I could use some advice on something.
      When you're just a beginner, what are good goals or actions to perform when you hit lucidity the first few times?

I've been focusing on one specific goal for a while, but I either forget it or fail to achieve it.
      What are nice easy to achieve goals to perform, you know, to get the doubt and insecurity out of the way.

And welcome back Ophelia
      CanisLucidus likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Booney View Post
      When you're just a beginner, what are good goals or actions to perform when you hit lucidity the first few times?

I've been focusing on one specific goal for a while, but I either forget it or fail to achieve it.
      What are nice easy to achieve goals to perform, you know, to get the doubt and insecurity out of the way.

And welcome back Ophelia
      I think that one goal that nearly everyone has is to fly. It's just that thing that can't happen in waking life, so we just want to do it when we're dreaming.

Otherwise, what are your goals. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to lucid dream, so you should listen to what you want to do. Maybe before you go to bed, think about why you want to lucid dream and what kind of stuff you want to do. You may say that you want to become a massive shark in a pool, eat everyone, then throw up potatos, or just tickle a dream character until their legs fall off. It's up to you. Perhaps for now, start with more simple things, and then work your way up as you become more confident. If you do find yourself in a position perfect for completing a goal you have, go for it! I'd create a list and keep it somewhere, then read it over every couple nights before you go to bed, and add things on as you come up with new goals

I also have a question. When I WBTB, will turning on a light in my room hurt the attempt at all? So, pretty much, Is it ok for me to wake up to WBTB, and turn on a light?
      Last edited by DragonMaster21; 08-25-2013 at 06:19 AM.
      CanisLucidus likes this.
      AKA: DragonMaster21

Member Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Booney View Post

And welcome back Ophelia
      I like both of DragonMaster21's suggestions below (flying as well as goals that motivate you.) These are great.

I'd add one more that I think is the perfect starter goal. As soon as you become lucid, make it your goal to fully drink in the vividness of the scene. Challenge yourself to examine something really, really closely and in great detail. Your hands are a good candidate, but anything in the environment will work. You will be astounded at how much detail your mind can generate. Take the time to really appreciate this.

I like this goal because it's both fun and mind-expanding. It helps you to learn that the dreaming mind is capable of vividness that rivals and and sometimes exceeds that of waking life. It will give you a new perspective on dreams. You'll understand better why NLDs are so good at fooling us. And you'll understand just how amazing your journey into lucid dreaming will be.

A great side effect is that it tends to dramatically raise the overall vividness of the scene. I've been trying it recently as a starter for my LDs and I'm loving the effects.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster21 View Post
      I also have a question. When I WBTB, will turning on a light in my room hurt the attempt at all? So, pretty much, Is it ok for me to wake up to WBTB, and turn on a light?
      I believe that the major risk with leaving lights on during a WBTB is that it could harm your chances of falling back to sleep. If this isn't a problem for you, I think that this should be fine.

Exposure to light will inhibit your melatonin production. That could make falling back asleep slightly more challenging. However, lower levels of melatonin allow your acetylcholine receptors to operate more efficiently. Without getting into too many details, I'll just say that this is generally a good thing for lucidity and dream recall.

I generally choose to leave the lights off because I'm always a bit worried about WBTB insomnia. A secondary reason is that I personally theorize that WBTB (or biphasic sleep) may be a very natural human sleep pattern, one that was common before the Industrial Revolution. Without artificial light, our ancestors would have done their natural "WBTB" in a condition of darkness or moonlight. It seems prudent to flow with that pattern.

Maybe I'll experiment with this, though! If you have the flexibility to try it out for yourself, give it a shot both ways. Pay particular attention to how long it takes you to fall asleep, as well as dream recall and how easy it is to achieve lucidity.
      DragonMaster21 likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class
      DJ Entries
      Oh yes, I do have a lot of flexibility. One of my problems is that, I'll admit it, I'm a bit afraid of the dark . I wake up, and I'm afraid of something that is not and will never be there. Maybe I just need to face my fear, wake myself up, and just sit there in the dark and just deal with it.

Another question, what are some things I could do during a WBTB? I also have a hard time staying awake for 10 minutes without getting bored and going to sleep. Also, when I wake up, I usually go to the bathroom, and the lights are on in there. Will < a minute of light exposure be the same as 20 minutes of light exposure or should I put up a night light so that it's dimmer.
      Last edited by DragonMaster21; 08-28-2013 at 02:04 AM.
      CanisLucidus likes this.
      AKA: DragonMaster21

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster21 View Post
      Oh yes, I do have a lot of flexibility. One of my problems is that, I'll admit it, I'm a bit afraid of the dark . I wake up, and I'm afraid of something that is not and will never be there. Maybe I just need to face my fear, wake myself up, and just sit there in the dark and just deal with it.

Another question, what are some things I could do during a WBTB? I also have a hard time staying awake for 10 minutes without getting bored and going to sleep. Also, when I wake up, I usually go to the bathroom, and the lights are on in there. Will < a minute of light exposure be the same as 20 minutes of light exposure or should I put up a night light so that it's dimmer.
      No worries on any of that. Personally, I somewhat doubt that light is a make-or-break issue for WBTB so long as you have no trouble getting back to sleep. In fact, Ophelia's main WBTB approach used to be to get up for a while during the daylight hours of morning, get the kids off to school, and then go back to sleep.

To me, that says that as long as you can get back to sleep, it's probably not going to be a big problem. Definitely don't let it stop you from attempting WBTB unless you get insomnia. WBTB is just so effective that you hate to pass it up if you don't have to.

As for things to do to alleviate boredom, definitely give yourself something to look forward to. I like the idea of reading about lucid dreaming. At various times I've read Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming and Are You Dreaming? during WBTB. Another thing I've enjoyed is playing a low-key adventure game like Myst. I talked about this a bit in the most recent podcast: http://www.dreamviews.com/dreamviews...eamworlds.html

If you have something fun you look forward to doing, you'll be much more motivated to actually do it. Just don't have so much fun you forget to go back to sleep.

Student Oneironaut Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

DJ Entries

How can I prevent and combat insomnia at WBTB?

I'm asking another question about WBTB:
      As you can see at the Competition #14 I'm becoming an expert on doing WBTB...with little results, he he, although I feel that's maybe because I rarely stay up for more that 15 minutes and I may need 30 minutes at least, so I need to work at that.
      Anyways, back to my question, I've always consider myself a heavy sleeper, but I'm experiencing some episodes of insomnia now when doing WBTB, which is something new for me. How can I prevent and combat insomnia at WBTB?
      Thanks in advance!
      OpheliaBlue likes this.

Lurker
      question where do i get my workbook? when should i do reality checks? and what should i do once i get lucid?
      OpheliaBlue likes this.

Professional Nose-Booper Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Stickie King Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall 50000 Hall Points
      DJ Entries
      Hey guys! Sorry for the delayed reply. You Lucid Titan, CanisLucidus, is away for a couple weeks.

To dreambh: Something I've been hearing more and more about with folks who say "Once I'm up, I'M UP." My boss for example, can't go back to sleep once she wakes up in the morning, regardless of how early. I'm the opposite, and I can sleep in and/or nap forever. I'm not sure if that's your case or not, but if WBTB is depriving you of sleep, then I'd definitely go with DILDs. At least until you sort out your insomnia if that's the case.

To lucidcastle99: Start your workbook here as a new thread: Intro Class
      Just click on the "+ Post New Thread" button on the upper-left of that page, and you're on your way! As for reality checks, do them as often as you remember to do them. The key is getting your brain used to remembering to do them more often, regardless if what reality check you use. Awareness!! Finally, what to do once you get lucid, have a pre-memorized set of goals. Maybe one easy one, and one difficult one (example for easy: pick a flower; example for hard: fly). Point is, that once you become lucid, it's nice to get goal-oriented right away so you can get your personal goals accomplished. Or, you can just sit back and watch a dream world unfold in front of you. You can have as little or as much control in the lucid dream as you want, choice is yours.
      CanisLucidus likes this.

Member Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      I've noticed something while attempting the DEILD technique - whenever I try to re-enter the dream I just had by thinking about it, it doesn't always work. So I give up and lie in bed daydreaming about something else completely, and then the daydream itself turns into a dream that could very easily become lucid. Sometimes a character will appear and start acting independently despite my daydream, or I will end up somewhere completely different from where I was trying to dream about.

Is it possible that I am trying too hard to re-enter the dream when I think about it, keeping me awake? Am I the only person who has noticed that daydreaming in bed can be more effective than the standard DEILD technique? I would love to hear anyone's feedback on this.
      CanisLucidus likes this.

Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by OpheliaBlue View Post
      To dreambh: Something I've been hearing more and more about with folks who say "Once I'm up, I'M UP." My boss for example, can't go back to sleep once she wakes up in the morning, regardless of how early. I'm the opposite, and I can sleep in and/or nap forever. I'm not sure if that's your case or not, but if WBTB is depriving you of sleep, then I'd definitely go with DILDs. At least until you sort out your insomnia if that's the case.
      Thanks for your reply OB, I could not read it until today because of a trip I was doing, but actually, circumstances made me forget about WBTB and I had two lucids on a week (which is a lot for me) so you were totally right! I'm not the "Once I'm up, I'm up" kind, but obviously not working too hard on WBTB did help a lot.
      OpheliaBlue and CanisLucidus like this.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickman View Post
      I've noticed something while attempting the DEILD technique - whenever I try to re-enter the dream I just had by thinking about it, it doesn't always work. So I give up and lie in bed daydreaming about something else completely, and then the daydream itself turns into a dream that could very easily become lucid. Sometimes a character will appear and start acting independently despite my daydream, or I will end up somewhere completely different from where I was trying to dream about.

Is it possible that I am trying too hard to re-enter the dream when I think about it, keeping me awake? Am I the only person who has noticed that daydreaming in bed can be more effective than the standard DEILD technique? I would love to hear anyone's feedback on this.
      Great question (and approach!) I'd say that very likely yes, by falling back to daydreaming, you just relax and let it happen. To DEILD or WILD, you have a) stay aware and b) fall asleep. If you get them both done, you are good to go. It sounds like you had a) nicely dialed in but being overly intentional with dreaming was messing up b).

Doing whatever you can to relax while still holding on to your awareness is the way to go. It sounds like you've found your sweet spot! Congratulations! Keep experimenting and practicing with DEILD. The more of it you do, the easier the relaxation piece becomes. It is challenging at first but you can get way better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by dreambh View Post
      Thanks for your reply OB, I could not read it until today because of a trip I was doing, but actually, circumstances made me forget about WBTB and I had two lucids on a week (which is a lot for me) so you were totally right! I'm not the "Once I'm up, I'm up" kind, but obviously not working too hard on WBTB did help a lot.
      Yeah, everything Ophelia said's good, so let me just add in the things that I do to avoid insomnia from WBTB.

First, I avoid excessive exposure to light. If I am going to have any lights on at all, I actually wear these crazy orange safety glasses that block out blue wavelengths of light. Do I look cool in these, you ask? As if you even need to ask.

Second, I move slowly, try to keep my heart rate low, and not get too amped up about anything. Reading is good, particularly if it's about lucid dreaming.

Third, when I return to bed, I just try to blissfully fall back into my MILD (or SSILD if I am doing that.) Think about nothing but dreaming. No waking life worries/concerns allowed, period. If there's a little trouble settling down my mind, I'll perform backwards counting while casually enjoying my hypnagogic imagery.

Fourth, I've gotten used to WBTB. It's normal for me to wake up at least once per night unless I'm sleep deprived. I'm very used to the pattern and more naturally fall back asleep now.

Fifth, sleep masks are pretty awesome. They make it super dark and you get boosted hypnagogic imagery. The kind I've got even has these shaped eye sockets so I can blink/open my eyes without my eyelashes touching it.

Good luck!
      Last edited by CanisLucidus; 09-12-2013 at 07:41 PM.
      OpheliaBlue and dreambh like this.

Member Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by CanisLucidus View Post
      Great question (and approach!) I'd say that very likely yes, by falling back to daydreaming, you just relax and let it happen. To DEILD or WILD, you have a) stay aware and b) fall asleep. If you get them both done, you are good to go. It sounds like you had a) nicely dialed in but being overly intentional with dreaming was messing up b).

Doing whatever you can to relax while still holding on to your awareness is the way to go. It sounds like you've found your sweet spot! Congratulations! Keep experimenting and practicing with DEILD. The more of it you do, the easier the relaxation piece becomes. It is challenging at first but you can get way better at it.
      Thanks for the reply, it's good to know that I'm on the right track. I guess I was so fixated on reentering the dream that I had just experienced, and I thought that having another dream completely would be making things too difficult.
      OpheliaBlue and CanisLucidus like this.

Sweden
      DJ Entries
      Hello! I wonder, has anyone else experienced DC's who you feel are out of place or context in your dream, not only by how they look or act but also by the feeling you get when you meet them? /K
      CanisLucidus likes this.

DJ Entries
      Hi guys!
      Just had a somewhat weird experience: I was in a normal dream, went to bed, had a FA within that dream scenario which I turned into a lucid, then woke up from the lucid in still the same normal dream (where I went to bed and had the FA), and journaled the lucid. Then woke up for real and was like "A dream perfectly nested within a dream, and on top of that, lucid??"
      Full dream: http://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/drea...n-dream-50953/
      I've tagged it as lucid, but I'm not 100% sure. What do you thing, Is that just a weird lucid, or something like "a normal dream about getting lucid"? (if that is even possible)
      CanisLucidus and Kactus like this.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Kactus View Post
      Hello! I wonder, has anyone else experienced DC's who you feel are out of place or context in your dream, not only by how they look or act but also by the feeling you get when you meet them? /K
      I've certainly gotten experiences where somewhat bizarre characters appear out of nowhere, but I get the sense that you're driving at more than that.

Were these perhaps especially intelligent-seeming/aware dream characters? I have a subset of DCs that appears to be incredibly smart, intelligent, and act like they're aware of me and what I am. I've taken to calling them "smart DCs". Was it anything like this?

I'd love to hear more about what you experienced! Tell us more. (If you're comfortable doing so.)

Quote Originally Posted by dreambh View Post
      Hi guys!
      Just had a somewhat weird experience: I was in a normal dream, went to bed, had a FA within that dream scenario which I turned into a lucid, then woke up from the lucid in still the same normal dream (where I went to bed and had the FA), and journaled the lucid. Then woke up for real and was like "A dream perfectly nested within a dream, and on top of that, lucid??"
      Full dream: http://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/drea...n-dream-50953/
      I've tagged it as lucid, but I'm not 100% sure. What do you thing, Is that just a weird lucid, or something like "a normal dream about getting lucid"? (if that is even possible)
      So cool... an incredible experience, but don't feel weird about it! The exact same thing has happened to me before. In my case it was from performing an in-dream WILD from a non-lucid dream, which I find usually works immediately to make me lucid. But the act of "waking up" sometimes robs me of lucidity.

When you think about it, it's very normal to have lucidity fall away in any false awakening. What's interesting here is that the location chosen for the false awakening was the same one that you entered the dream from. It makes sense that your mind would build in that expectation, so you can see how this could happen.

Here's a DJ entry from me that's a lot like what you described: Fooled - Dream Journals - Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Very cool, man!
      Kactus likes this.

Sweden
      DJ Entries
      Were these perhaps especially intelligent-seeming/aware dream characters? I have a subset of DCs that appears to be incredibly smart, intelligent, and act like they're aware of me and what I am. I've taken to calling them "smart DCs". Was it anything like this?

I think you hit it when you wrote that.
      I had the feeling that this particular DC was something more, an observer perhaps, 'she' knew, and was aware that I was there and what I was doing. What interests me was that, I'm Lucid, totally aware of this DC and yet absolutley knew her very well, even though she was a total stranger. There was no other interaction other than I could see 'her'

Perhaps I'm seeing part of myself or perhaps she 'exists' and Jedi mind tricked me It's a bit of a rabbit hole and really fascinating to think about.
      CanisLucidus likes this.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Kactus View Post
      I think you hit it when you wrote that.
      I had the feeling that this particular DC was something more, an observer perhaps, 'she' knew, and was aware that I was there and what I was doing. What interests me was that, I'm Lucid, totally aware of this DC and yet absolutley knew her very well, even though she was a total stranger. There was no other interaction other than I could see 'her'

Perhaps I'm seeing part of myself or perhaps she 'exists' and Jedi mind tricked me It's a bit of a rabbit hole and really fascinating to think about.
      I completely agree. These types of DCs are amazing. When you next get the opportunity, definitely take the time to talk with her/him and see where the conversation goes.

It's like the rest of the time you've been interacting with "extra" in your personal lucid movie and then suddenly you run into one of the A-list stars. I'm not sure when or why the dreaming mind calls up these kinds of DCs or what they represent, but the experience is great! One of my longer-term goals is to become good at consistently summoning this type of "smart DC".

Hey, if you have another such encounter, I'd definitely be interested in hearing about it!
      Kactus likes this.

Sweden
      DJ Entries
      Missed opportunity a few days back, very disappointed, found myself during a WILD attempt becoming conscious within a void of blackness, unable to move. Rather than turn this opportunity into something productive I succumb to fear and doubt, worried by the fact I couldn't move physically. It has happened before but this time it took me by surprise and so I wasn't mentally ready.

When it happens again I want to be ready, I have chosen to make a specific visualisation, maybe one object:
      question 1. (if this is possible in the void?), or some words to say when this happens, the idea is that it stops me instantly going into anxiety mode and helps me view the situation as something positive and almost as a gift from which I can launch a LD.

It wasn't an unpleasant state until my Brain got in the way and this will be a good practice for me to face a fear if (when) it happens again.

I'm sure someone else has experienced this void many times and I have read the Dreamviews Wiki explanations of what it is, but I would like to ask: Question 2. If others have a specific strategy or routine, something they do in order to transition into a LD from the void, is it just a matter of visualisation and immersion? If there is a forum link to some useful info It would be much appreciated K
      Last edited by Kactus; 10-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.
      CanisLucidus likes this.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Hey Kactus! I work from the void very, very frequently so I'd be happy to tell you what I do. The main thing is to not worry. Seriously, the void is an awesome place to work from once you get used to it. You're subject to very few schemas that could limit you and your imagination so it can often be a shortcut to your goals.

The first thing I suggest is to take for granted that you have a dream body. Just immediately start rubbing your hands together. If some sense of doubt makes you believe that you are immobilized... rub your hands together anyway.

Don't even go to the trouble of denying that you're stuck. Just act. Believe you are already rubbing your hands together. Ignore anything and everything else that distracts you from what you want to do and you'll succeed.

So step 1 of my playbook is to begin rubbing my hands together. After that I keep verbally reminding myself that I'm having a lucid dream, keeping those hands rubbing together all the while. I'll often imagine myself walking forward as well. Sometimes I'll reach out, expecting to grab onto something.

Typically, a scene will eventually emerge from out of the void and I'll become part of it. Sometimes you can simply think about the scene that you want and it will appear.

Another fun technique I've used is to stick my hand out and call for a DC to pull me out of the void. Sometimes I'll ask for help from a friend, a DC from a recent scene, or just nobody in particular. Most of the time this results in a DC grabbing my hand and yanking me into a new scene. Very fun when this one works out.

If you'd be interested in a few concrete examples, I tag my dream journal as "void" any time I work from there. Here's a list of my own void experiences:
      Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views - CanisLucidus - Dream Journals

Anyway, I hope some of that helps! Hey, would it be cool if we perhaps took on this question in a future podcast?
      Kactus likes this.

Sweden
      DJ Entries
      Thanks For the info CanisLucidus! That's absolutely what I was after. Something to focus on, now I have a strategy, I think this is going to really help. If I can get the whole rubbing hands and dream body thing going instead of that initial 'get me out of here reaction' I will be really pleased. Think I will postpone the hand out to DC until I'm a little more comfortable in there

It's also comforting to hear that you have experienced this void many times and turned it to your advantage, I look forward to getting stuck into your 'void' journal entries. On a side note I slipped into a DILD last night and tried out your rubbing hands together idea for the first time, Top Tip! Kept me Lucid for ages... Was a good one

thanks again and absolutely feel free to add the question in the podcast K
      CanisLucidus likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast