• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

VirginiaBeach VA

Blasting headache after extended nap

Yah i had a super-great nap with an vivid dream so i guess i naturally refused to wake up. Well upon being "thrown" into reality, my head was pounding with each heartbeat and i was in immense pain. Why do you get headaches after having a long nap/sleeping in?
      R1ffyy--

Adopted by: Sloth.
      Adopted By: Goldney
      Adopted: Goldney!

LD's
      : 4
      DILD: 4
      FILD: 0
      WILD: 0
      Other: 0

3 Dilds in 30 min.

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by Riff View Post
      Yah i had a super-great nap with an vivid dream so i guess i naturally refused to wake up. Well upon being "thrown" into reality, my head was pounding with each heartbeat and i was in immense pain. Why do you get headaches after having a long nap/sleeping in?
      I don't know why - hope somebody answers your question. I get them too though, any time I over-sleep, whether napping or too long a night's sleep. I can trigger migraines if not careful.
      On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.
      --Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Raised and raised by Eligos
      Dream Journal
      The Fine Print: Unless otherwise stated, the views expressed are MINE.

Budapest
      Were you dehydrated? I often wake up from naps incredibly thirsty and feeling a bit spaced out.
      *............*............*

I had that exact same problem yesterday. When I got out of bed yesterday, I had the worst headache I ever had. No amount of aspirin helped and I've still got a bit of a headache today. I'd like to know why too...yesterday was unbearable.
      Click here to visit the #1 AMC website!

LDs since June 22nd: about 20...I stopped counting

My Dream Journal

Yeah I had a headache when I woke up this morning too (after sleeping about 10.5 hrs). And I was really thirsty. I think Goldney may be onto something - it's common knowledge that dehydration causes headaches, so that it a possible explanation.

pj
      I did some digging around on this on migraine and headache sites, and many of them concur that dehydration is a probably cause or at least a factor.

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      New Zea-la-land
      They say the optimum amount of time to nap is 20 minutes. Anything more does more harm than good.

Florida
      I posted this question too on another thread....after sleeping for an extended period of time I wake up with the worst migranes! I'm not sure if it's dehydration because I have woken up...gotten up had a glass of water or two sometimes and gone back to sleep for another four hours. And still wake up with horrible headaches.

But you can tell the difference between a headache and the one you get from oversleeping. It boggles me.

Not even asprin can make it go away.
      Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives.

To deny may be just as dangerous and misleading as to accept.

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by Gurrlly007 View Post
      Not even asprin can make it go away.
      Indeed. They are MIGRAINES. I know the difference.

I've been told there are meds that will knock them down now, but they all sound pretty heavy duty and as seldom as I get 'em it just doesn't seem worth messing with.

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

Florida
      lol I have MIGRAINES as well but still these feel different. It's like your brain is swollen. At least for me. I dunno I guess it feels different for everyone.

EIther way your right not something to mess with which is why as much as I love LD's I cut my nap time short from now on.
      Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives.

To deny may be just as dangerous and misleading as to accept.

For me, a nap always helps no matter how long I sleep. Whenever I do wake up with a migrane, it's usually when I get the least amount of sleep. So I usually end up falling asleep on the couch in the middle of the day. When I wake up, it's still there, but not as intense as it was. It makes it impossible to go to bed that night too.
      Click here to visit the #1 AMC website!

LDs since June 22nd: about 20...I stopped counting

My Dream Journal

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Created Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points
      Zagreb
      DJ Entries
      I have those headaches after a long sleep. But it goes away after drinking coffee.

Secret forum
      sertonin build up, you're brain also has to work very hard during REM and NREM, which causes headaches. Like if you lick a Ice cream and it hurts, brain freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by G007 View Post
      I'm not sure if it's dehydration because I have woken up...gotten up had a glass of water or two sometimes and gone back to sleep for another four hours. And still wake up with horrible headaches.
      Usually if you are dehydrated enough to get headaches, one or two glasses of water isn't enough to completely rehydrate you. Most people are chronically dehydrated.

Banned
      bummer

VirginiaBeach VA
      Quote Originally Posted by goldney View Post
      Were you dehydrated? I often wake up from naps incredibly thirsty and feeling a bit spaced out.
      I returned from an extremely hard work out.. so problem solved i guess. =D
      R1ffyy--

Adopted by: Sloth.
      Adopted By: Goldney
      Adopted: Goldney!

LD's
      : 4
      DILD: 4
      FILD: 0
      WILD: 0
      Other: 0

3 Dilds in 30 min.

Alexandria, VA
      Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
      Usually if you are dehydrated enough to get headaches, one or two glasses of water isn't enough to completely rehydrate you. Most people are chronically dehydrated.
      Yes indeed! Take it from someone who fits into that category. I have to constantly remind myself to drink.

My Music
      The Ear Is Always Correct - thoughts on music composition
      What Sky Saw - a lucid dreaming journal

Ontario, Canada
      oh god,thats me right now. I had a nap because I was boared and woke up with a bloody headache. And the light of the computer screen isn't helping.
      Don't have a reason for it, though I I believe what wendylove wrote.

USA
      I get tons of headaches, it is in my genes, my mom does too. Yet, I have yet to wake up with a terrible headache after an extended nap. I actually nap when I do have a headache, and it goes away. =)
      DREAM ON

Banned
      I have slept for the longest amount of times and never awoken with a headache.

A few things off the top of my head that could cause you to wake up with a headache are.

1) Dehydration.
      2) Hunger (Yeah if you don't eat for a while you get a headache and since you are sleeping a bit longer you may go longer without eating causing a headache).
      3) Sleeping on your neck weird (If your neck shifts or something it can cause some neck pain resulting in a headache they somewhat go hand-in-hand).

Those are three I can think of right now.

Banned
      I think why has been hit, here is the solution. It works one hundred percent of the time for me for everything except for sinus headaches, which are unrelated:

Between your thumb and you index finger on both hand there is a button. It's just under where the two bones come together, dig for a moment before you find the nerve ending. It will feel like a sharp pinch, but then quickly fade away. Rub it for fifteen seconds on one hand, then fifteen on the other. By then it should be gone, but might come back so repeat each hand one more time.

Advil: Half an hour, Accupressure: 60 seconds: I love it!

Of course this only treats the symptom, if you don't treat the problem it will come back. Use the accupressure to get rid of the headache, then get something to eat / drink so that it doesn't come back.

U.k
      DJ Entries
      I think it's when you have too much sleep. I always get them when I lie in too long in the morning

Lurker

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by ninja9578 View Post
      I think why has been hit, here is the solution. It works one hundred percent of the time for me for everything except for sinus headaches, which are unrelated:

Between your thumb and you index finger on both hand there is a button. It's just under where the two bones come together, dig for a moment before you find the nerve ending. It will feel like a sharp pinch, but then quickly fade away. Rub it for fifteen seconds on one hand, then fifteen on the other. By then it should be gone, but might come back so repeat each hand one more time.

Advil: Half an hour, Accupressure: 60 seconds: I love it!

Of course this only treats the symptom, if you don't treat the problem it will come back. Use the accupressure to get rid of the headache, then get something to eat / drink so that it doesn't come back.
      This worked so good!!!! I can't believe it, it felt so good when it relieved it!! The way that it made my headache/migraine go away just made me register for this site , in order to leave this post !! Although now I'm on this site I'm upset that I've lived this long without knowing about it !!! Thank you very much now I'm going back to school for acupuncture.