• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Results 26 to 38 of 38
    Like Tree95Likes

    Thread: Dream Sharing Course (Suggestion)

    1. #26
      Shhh RedKali's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      LD Count
      Location
      'Merica
      Posts
      22
      Likes
      350
      DJ Entries
      286
      I was rushing to post (a bit excited to get out a basic thought before I had to leave the house) and was hoping I'd be able to edit before you read it. Looks like you read it before the edit... lol. Regardless, I just wanted to say I haven't had such complex discussions about dreaming in a painfully long time. This is very nice for me, I feel like a fat kid in a bakery.
      “Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.” ― Socrates

    2. #27
      Luminescent sun chaser Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Huge Dream Journal Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points
      AURON's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      400ish
      Gender
      Location
      The World That Never Was
      Posts
      4,169
      Likes
      3211
      DJ Entries
      764
      I'm a little late to the party, but if RedKali needs someone to vouch for her, I will. I've had several dream shares with her in the past, and she's very knowledgeable about the subject. When we initially started to try and share dreams, I was complete disbeliever of the practice, and thought it was nothing more than people making events up. I would often omit dream journal entries until after I've read hers to see how they would match up...or not match and over time I've learned that there is a huge gray area of what can occur (ie the Jack and Jill example). We've had conversations about various instances and events that have happened, and she was able to explain to me what was going and why it was happening and it was clearly obvious that it wasn't the ramblings of someone else. I have no doubt that she would be fully capable of delivering a solid shared dreaming class to her students; speaking as a former one of sorts.

      On a side note, everyone has made great discussion points, and I'm glad that you're all solidifying a subject that should be taught at DVA. As for side debates about the possibility or proof of a SD class, lets hope no one wastes time getting into a class and side tracking it with that can of worms. The students who attend should be ready to learn, not debate.

      *coughs* and someone merge that triple!

    3. #28
      DVA Teacher Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 3 years registered Huge Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points
      FryingMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      LD Count
      230
      Location
      The Present Moment
      Posts
      4,768
      Likes
      6096
      DJ Entries
      656
      The problem of course with the healthy diet analogy is that while not everyone may agree with what constitutes a healthy diet, the individual aspects of the particular nutritional components of foods are undisputed and objective and not subject to personal interpretation based on confounding desires or wishes. Additionally, while not everyone may agree on one particular definition, a particular definition may be made without argument about the objective definition itself, or the need for the definition to change over time based on the experience of those wishing to participate in a healthy diet. The practitioner of a healthy diet is not free to determine that a donut has the same contribution towards a healthy diet as a carrot because it "feels that way" or because "I want this to be what healthy diet means."
      Last edited by FryingMan; 09-03-2016 at 11:02 AM.
      Sageous and RedKali like this.
      FryingMan's Unified Theory of Lucid Dreaming: Pay Attention, Reflect, Recall -- Both Day and Night[link]
      FryingMan's Dream Recall Tips -- Awesome Links
      “May I awaken within this dream and grasp the fact that I am dreaming, so that all dreamlike beings may likewise awaken from the nightmare of illusory suffering and confusion.”
      "...develop stability in awareness and your dreams will change in extraordinary ways" -- TYoDaS

    4. #29
      high mileage oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Populated Wall Veteran Second Class Stickie King Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points
      Sageous's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      LD Count
      35+ Yrs' Worth
      Gender
      Location
      any quiet place
      Posts
      4,612
      Likes
      6316
      ^^ Oh, that's good!

      Quote Originally Posted by AURON View Post
      On a side note, everyone has made great discussion points, and I'm glad that you're all solidifying a subject that should be taught at DVA. As for side debates about the possibility or proof of a SD class, lets hope no one wastes time getting into a class and side tracking it with that can of worms. The students who attend should be ready to learn, not debate.
      You may have inadvertently indicated another unopened can of worms here, Auron.

      I must have answered more than a thousand questions on the assorted threads of my WILD class over the years, and I would guess that a good third of them were of the "How does it work?" variety. The students wish to have a feel for the physical process of the WILD transition so, for instance, they know what to look for, can better refine their own technique to best fit the known process (i.e., adjusting their WBTB to best catch a REM period), and above all to reassure themselves that the WILD transition is "real," and so must be doable. Answering this question is fairly simple, of course, because there is a wealth of information available for specifically how the WILD process physically works, making its "realness" obvious and acceptable. However:

      When that question is asked in the SD class, and it will, the best answer we can give is "Nobody has any idea, but trust me, it does." This answer might lead to debate of some sort as students wrestle with learning something that by pretty much every (known) physical measure cannot work -- giving the impression that SD may not be real at all, much less projecting that assuring sense of "realness" around which students need to wrap their efforts.

      So coming up with some answer to the "How does it work?" question beforehand might be a good idea, I think, just to avoid a potentially messy open can of worms. Just saying "It does because I say so" might not be enough for some.

      This is, of course, all still in the "aside" category, but worth mentioning, I think.
      AURON and RedKali like this.

    5. #30
      DVA Teacher Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 3 years registered Huge Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points
      FryingMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      LD Count
      230
      Location
      The Present Moment
      Posts
      4,768
      Likes
      6096
      DJ Entries
      656
      Quote Originally Posted by AURON View Post
      On a side note, everyone has made great discussion points, and I'm glad that you're all solidifying a subject that should be taught at DVA. As for side debates about the possibility or proof of a SD class, lets hope no one wastes time getting into a class and side tracking it with that can of worms. The students who attend should be ready to learn, not debate.
      The particulars of the syllabus do indeed look intriguing, I think for your last point, this can be avoided by carefully crafting a painstakingly clear, explicit, descriptive introduction that provides a workable solution to the problem that "shared dreaming" has as many meanings as there are people who utter that phrase. This need is unavoidable given the highly individual, subjective meaning inherent in the topic.
      AURON, ThreeCat and RedKali like this.
      FryingMan's Unified Theory of Lucid Dreaming: Pay Attention, Reflect, Recall -- Both Day and Night[link]
      FryingMan's Dream Recall Tips -- Awesome Links
      “May I awaken within this dream and grasp the fact that I am dreaming, so that all dreamlike beings may likewise awaken from the nightmare of illusory suffering and confusion.”
      "...develop stability in awareness and your dreams will change in extraordinary ways" -- TYoDaS

    6. #31
      Nine Lives in Theory ThreeCat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Gender
      Posts
      1,197
      Likes
      1833
      DJ Entries
      59
      As long as the course objective is specific, it will attract the kind of students who are interested in an experiential course (as opposed to theoretical discussion). I think people will more or less be open to shared dreaming, regardless if they understand the theoretical framework for how it works (because theoretical is as far as it will go). If they are taking a course on shared dreaming, and they want to have some shared dreams, then I would give students the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are there to do shared dreaming, and not merely talk about it. There is also the possibility of having an open thread for the theoretical discussion of shared dreaming, though I would suggest such a thing be grounded in the experience of those participating, as opposed to only intellectual guesswork.

      And if students show up who disbelieve the entire subject, and only want to argue as to why the phenomenon isn't real, why are they even taking the course?

      Also, are there going to be "course requirements?" Ways of measuring progress? Will there be ways to improve success rates? If all we can really say is, "No, that wasn't it," or "yeah, seems like you got it," then I think that is fine, too. When something is that experiential and subjective in nature, determining whether or not someone "got it," is going to be more or less impossible.
      RedKali likes this.

    7. #32
      high mileage oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Populated Wall Veteran Second Class Stickie King Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points
      Sageous's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      LD Count
      35+ Yrs' Worth
      Gender
      Location
      any quiet place
      Posts
      4,612
      Likes
      6316
      ^^ Again, and I'll shut up about it after this:

      I wasn't talking about discussing the theoretical framework of shared dreaming, its existence, belief about it, or anything else like that. What I was saying is that students will want to know, functionally, how the physical SD process works relative to their own efforts: what is going on during their SD attempt that they should attend to in order to make it work better for them.

      For instance, knowing that during WILD you need to fall asleep is not an acknowledgement of belief or exposition of theory, but simply understanding that one of the functions of a successful WILD is falling asleep. You'd be surprised, BTW, how many times I actually had to remind students that they needed to go to sleep in order to dream; they really thought WILD worked differently, somehow.

      So, yes, the students will certainly be of an open mind, and will be there to learn to SD, and not argue against it; but they may still want to know what is happening to them as it happens, perhaps from a feedback perspective, so it might be a good idea to have something prepared to give them.

      I hope that's clear this time; and promise I won't try again, because it really is an aside, and hardly critical to the class.

      As long as I'm here:

      Quote Originally Posted by ThreeCat View Post
      Also, are there going to be "course requirements?" Ways of measuring progress? Will there be ways to improve success rates? If all we can really say is, "No, that wasn't it," or "yeah, seems like you got it," then I think that is fine, too. When something is that experiential and subjective in nature, determining whether or not someone "got it," is going to be more or less impossible.
      That is definitely something well worth thinking about, and perhaps discussing.
      RedKali likes this.

    8. #33
      Dream Guide Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      NyxCC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      LD Count
      -190
      Posts
      2,780
      Likes
      5059
      DJ Entries
      194
      Sounds like an interesting class. Do you plan on making a single or multiple threads with the lessons and also have student workbooks? I suppose students will be given some exercises to perform to apply the knowledge. Also, it may be a good idea to set some rules regarding discussions about shared dreaming. For example, one thread could be dedicated to solely discussing the theory behind the whole matter and address related concerns people may have, while another thread or the workbooks could be dedicated to reporting one's experiences.
      AURON and RedKali like this.
      Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.



    9. #34
      Shhh RedKali's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      LD Count
      Location
      'Merica
      Posts
      22
      Likes
      350
      DJ Entries
      286
      Quote Originally Posted by ThreeCat View Post
      I agree with this. If we think about it, dream imagery is going to be more or less unstable in the majority of dreamers, and just because we are "sharing" a dream, does not mean we are going to see the same appearances. Even during our waking life, our perception of the world is so heavily influenced by our own hardware and software (sense consciousnesses and thinking--views, opinions, etc.) that we often don't "see" the same things as those around us, even though we are most certainly "sharing" the dream in waking life. In a dream, since we are disconnected from the stability of the sense faculties, we are relying entirely on our mental consciousness to "tell" us what it is we "see." The question is, can our mental consciousness and sense of self actually contact another entity, or are we just running the maze?
      . . .
      I'm interested. Let's start the show.
      Exactly. I think you'd be surprised by how extensive the differences really are. When using text to say, "A black cat crossed my path," some will envision a fat cat, some slim, clean, dirty, was the tail docked, misshapen, was all of it black or some of it, what about a collar?, any noise to go along with it? Was it dragging a foot behind it, have anything in its mouth? what about the path itself.....? In dreaming, everyone is given information but how that information is translated varies widely. It's definitely an important arena for consideration.

      I certainly think meeting another mind in dreaming is more dramatic than waking life. Just because the feels are so much more intense in dreaming, in my experience. One of the very basic objectives when trying to meet another mind in dreaming is to simply see the same way. Seeing (or perceiving) in the same way makes things a whole lot easier. I mean, this is why scientists from most of the world use the metric system (except for us pesky Americans....for some reasons we think counting feet is more appropriate than meters). If everyone is seeing the same thing, for what it is, then when we communicate our experiences those should be relatively accurate. Understanding the difference between objective and subjective reality is essential; difficulties here lead to basic communication issues.

      Lucidity can be helpful though it's not the only way to achieve a shared dream. For a basic example, you know students are often told to do reality checks while they're awake, in hopes of doing them while asleep? If a person is focused on finding another person during waking, then this desire can express itself in dreaming, without having to be lucid. Setting up a sort of cognitive autopilot for ourselves in dreaming is certainly achievable. We don't have to be lucid to have a shared dream, but it can be considerably helpful.
      Rigorous testing methods are appropriate for scientific research. What a class aims is not to meet those particular standards. My goal, if to teach this course, would be to help people have the experience of a shared dream. I have no desire to prove to anyone, other than the student, that shared dreaming is possible. I'm not out to produce a scientific article, I want to share the experience with others because a) it's mind blowing and b) if this field is to advance further, there needs to be more people having the experience. Therefore, if I want more scholarly research in this field, people must be having the experience (and yes, I think more research in this field would be amazing). Yeah, and partners may disagree on whether a dream was shared or not, and that's okay both ways. We can't correct people when they call an orange, an apple. If they think an orange is an apple, that's how they perceive things. Now, what we can do is define an orange and apple, then allow people to call things whatever they want. How people integrate knowledge is their responsibility; providing that knowledge is the responsibility of the instructor(s).

      I'm interested too! Lol. We're tailgating in the forums until it gets the go-ahead...I've responded to Ophelia's email soon after she sent it so she's likely dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's.

      Quote Originally Posted by AURON View Post
      I'm a little late to the party . . .
      *coughs* and someone merge that triple!
      I JUST figured out the forums have multi-quote capabilities (and only due to your mentioning the merging). Thanks for pointing that out.

      You said very kind things here, but I need to address just one thing. I've never seen you as a student (in any form), don't think that. Our exchanges have taught me how to be more accurate in my own dreaming because you've made yourself available to me. We're friends, friends share experiences and it's always a bonus when friends learn from one another

      Quote Originally Posted by FryingMan View Post
      The problem of course with the healthy diet analogy is that while not everyone may agree with what constitutes a healthy diet, the individual aspects of the particular nutritional components of foods are undisputed and objective and not subject to personal interpretation based on confounding desires or wishes. Additionally, while not everyone may agree on one particular definition, a particular definition may be made without argument about the objective definition itself, or the need for the definition to change over time based on the experience of those wishing to participate in a healthy diet. The practitioner of a healthy diet is not free to determine that a donut has the same contribution towards a healthy diet as a carrot because it "feels that way" or because "I want this to be what healthy diet means."
      I'd hate to go further into the diet and shared dreaming comparison, as not all things will translate equally...but...generally speaking:

      Every body responds differently to nutrients. Macro- and micro- nutrients are assimilated to varying degrees by the body. Some people respond very well to smaller amounts of protein, while others struggle to develop mass on a higher protein intake. It's not all about what is eaten, it's about other components within the diet, in addition to exercise, in addition to individual biology. So while, yes, most can agree what a healthy diet is, there's no guarantee that the "healthy diet" will be healthy for every body. Some people have allergies, limiting what they may consume, which may deviate from what is recommended as healthy. What is healthy for one person, or even the masses, is not healthy for all.

      Going back to shared dreaming, not everyone is suitable for shared dreaming. Shared dreaming requires allowing others access to personal mindspace. This availability can be threatening to people who have things about themselves they don't want revealed or spoken about. How we speak about others can be abrasive too, so being aware of the sensitivities of our dreaming partners should be addressed. It's important to feel relatively comfortable with oneself, before venturing into shared dreaming because people will perceive all sorts of things and then want to talk about those things. This has lead to many awkward conversations. I've been asked by a good friend recently, "Why did you look like you were on crack, tweaking out, and f*cking men behind restaurants in dreaming?" I laughed, because I have a pretty solid grasp on who I am and am comfortable enough to hear things which may seem like an unkind reflection on my character. It takes maturity to be able to hear others speak of us in ways which contradict our own sense of self. Too, I sometimes do prefer to engage in coitus in odd locations and I can see how she may perceive my attitude as being in a state of withdrawal or addiction. Having an awareness of others and ourselves supports honest communication. Those who lack that maturity may want to delay their shared dreaming exploration until they're more comfortable.

      What does this have to do with your concern? Well. For someone who isn't comfortable with themselves (a person who thinks eating donuts is healthy), merely taking the time to objectively write their dreams is a HUGE step in self-awareness. So this may be like going from a dozen donuts a day, to just three donuts a day. That would be healthy behavior for that person because it's supportive of better eating habits. Yes, there's room for further improvement but not everyone is capable of sudden changes; long-lasting changes generally involve small changes. As that person progresses, maybe they want to define shared dreaming differently than how most people define shared dreaming. That's fine, everyone has their own vision of what an experience should look like. We'll provide a standard definition and if people deviate from that to properly address their unique beliefs, the concept of shared dreaming won't be any worse for it.

      Defining the typical definition of shared dreaming is like the same as defining the typical definition of a healthy diet. However, everyone is different and responds differently depending on their unique circumstances. Therefore, everyone will have their own goals which are appropriate for them.

      I know you're saying it's important to not lead people to false beliefs as it sends a confusing message. What's I'm saying is we'll send a single message, but what people do with that message is beyond our control.

      Quote Originally Posted by Sageous View Post
      So coming up with some answer to the "How does it work?" question beforehand might be a good idea, I think, just to avoid a potentially messy open can of worms. Just saying "It does because I say so" might not be enough for some.

      This is, of course, all still in the "aside" category, but worth mentioning, I think.
      I know this was directed toward Auron, but I wanted to mention this since it was brought up. Personal experience is typically not helpful as the sole measure of proof or instruction. On the other hand, it is a good supplement to research. From the start, it should be obvious but I'll say it anyway. Shared dreaming won't happen for everyone. Reading literature on what it's like to be a compassionate person, both from the scientific and personal experience sides, will not equate to being compassionate. Not everyone can acquire and apply knowledge in a productive manner.

      Quote Originally Posted by ThreeCat View Post
      Also, are there going to be "course requirements?" Ways of measuring progress? Will there be ways to improve success rates? If all we can really say is, "No, that wasn't it," or "yeah, seems like you got it," then I think that is fine, too. When something is that experiential and subjective in nature, determining whether or not someone "got it," is going to be more or less impossible.
      Yeah, there will be something resembling course requirements. The only true requirement is the willingness to engage, but I'll mention the other features which are supportive of shared dreaming. To measure progress requires dreaming activities, which will be included, and the progress itself will depend on whatever the activity is designed to highlight. One thing to keep in mind is that measuring progress may be complex. Example: if a dreaming exercise is to find another person (imagined or real) and describe them objectively, and the waking description included subjective observations--that could be considered a failure of the exercise. Yet, when those failures are pointed out--and if that individual understands the failures and corrects them--then the failure becomes a success. It should be a fun experience and "getting it" or "not getting it" isn't so much a concern. There are ways to modify exercises to make them accessible to most.

      Quote Originally Posted by Sageous View Post
      ^^ Again, and I'll shut up about it after this:

      I wasn't talking about discussing the theoretical framework of shared dreaming, its existence, belief about it, or anything else like that. What I was saying is that students will want to know, functionally, how the physical SD process works relative to their own efforts: what is going on during their SD attempt that they should attend to in order to make it work better for them.
      Your reminders and suggestions are very helpful--I ask you NOT to shut up when you notice things that require the additional attention. If I ever don't seem to understand something, please mention it again, I don't mind the repetition especially when I'm missing something or misunderstood you. In fact, I'm using these discussions to improve upon what eventually winds up in the class.

      Yes, I agree--explaining what occurs at a physiological level is important. For example, select antipsycotic drugs are HELPFUL to lucidity, which can be indirectly helpful for shared dreaming. Definitely an aspect to be included.

      Quote Originally Posted by NyxCC View Post
      Sounds like an interesting class. Do you plan on making a single or multiple threads with the lessons and also have student workbooks? I suppose students will be given some exercises to perform to apply the knowledge. Also, it may be a good idea to set some rules regarding discussions about shared dreaming. For example, one thread could be dedicated to solely discussing the theory behind the whole matter and address related concerns people may have, while another thread or the workbooks could be dedicated to reporting one's experiences.
      Thanks, and I don't know how the class will be set-up. I'm still waiting on Ophelia to confirm I'm able to teach the class (alongside other instructors, ideally). I was planning on asking her if DVA has a preferred set-up for classes (to keep all the classes similar in functionality, creating a more user-friendly experience). If not, then I'll decide on a more detailed outline for the course and then create an environment supportive of what's to be taught. I love the idea of workbooks (and those seem to work well for the other courses) and there will have to be threads for theory and general inquiries that may not be related to lessons, but are general curiosities.

      Rules though? Heh, I've never been too excited about rules. Though, for the sake of the other learners, a decent environment will be necessary but the rules for the general forum will likely be all that's required.

      I'll plan to PM you about suggestions when I eventually have the go ahead and finalize the outline since you brought this up
      Last edited by RedKali; 09-04-2016 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Figured out how to multi-quote
      AURON, Sageous and Patience108 like this.
      “Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.” ― Socrates

    10. #35
      DVA Teacher Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 3 years registered Huge Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points
      FryingMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      LD Count
      230
      Location
      The Present Moment
      Posts
      4,768
      Likes
      6096
      DJ Entries
      656
      Quote Originally Posted by RedKali View Post
      I'd hate to go further into the diet and shared dreaming comparison, as not all things will translate equally...but...generally speaking:
      But it allows discussion of important points, so along those lines...
      Every body responds differently to nutrients. Macro- and micro- nutrients are assimilated to varying degrees by the body. Some people respond very well to smaller amounts of protein, while others struggle to develop mass on a higher protein intake. It's not all about what is eaten, it's about other components within the diet, in addition to exercise, in addition to individual biology. So while, yes, most can agree what a healthy diet is, there's no guarantee that the "healthy diet" will be healthy for every body. Some people have allergies, limiting what they may consume, which may deviate from what is recommended as healthy. What is healthy for one person, or even the masses, is not healthy for all.
      ...
      Of course one person's requirements may differ from another based on their specific situation, but what is important is that person's ability to accurately measure/evaluate experience and determine their progress towards an objective goal from that. A dozen donuts a day to 3 can only be seen as an improvement or progress if there is a stake in the ground somewhere that says "less donuts is better" for a healthy diet, and if a practitioner is even able at all to determine how many donuts a day they've eaten.

      Going back to shared dreaming, not everyone is suitable for shared dreaming. Shared dreaming requires allowing others access to personal mindspace. This availability can be threatening to people who have things about themselves they don't want revealed or spoken about. How we speak about others can be abrasive too, so being aware of the sensitivities of our dreaming partners should be addressed. It's important to feel relatively comfortable with oneself, before venturing into shared dreaming because people will perceive all sorts of things and then want to talk about those things. This has lead to many awkward conversations. I've been asked by a good friend recently, "Why did you look like you were on crack, tweaking out, and f*cking men behind restaurants in dreaming?" I laughed, because I have a pretty solid grasp on who I am and am comfortable enough to hear things which may seem like an unkind reflection on my character. It takes maturity to be able to hear others speak of us in ways which contradict our own sense of self. Too, I sometimes do prefer to engage in coitus in odd locations and I can see how she may perceive my attitude as being in a state of withdrawal or addiction. Having an awareness of others and ourselves supports honest communication. Those who lack that maturity may want to delay their shared dreaming exploration until they're more comfortable.
      This is orthogonal to allowing for clarity of measuring experience against an unambiguous goal (which is what I see as the point of the diet thing). But it is very important. This sounds like somewhat of a prerequisite (ala what ThreeCat requested), or at least, "what one should be prepared for" that I didn't see mentioned in your syllabus. What else are among the prereq's and "you should knows"? And is one's ability to detect a sharing experience determined by one's preparedness to hear what other's have seen?

      I'm curious, is belief in mind to mind communication required in order to experience shared dreaming? May a current skeptic or an agnostic follow your course, open to the possibility of proof by experience, and "see for themselves?" Or does a skeptical or agnostic point of view prevent the experience in your view?

      I see it somewhat analogous to lucid dreaming itself: many people disbelieve it is possible, but those who have experienced it themselves know the reality of it in their bones. LDing however has it relatively easy compared to shared dreaming, because while the experience itself of LDing may be subjective and lucidity itself is on a spectrum just like how you say the shared-ness of a dream may be, the goal post is unambiguous and easy to state: "know you're dreaming while in a dream." It is of course possible to have experiences that leave one semi-doubting, but there is inevitably (in those who persist) that "AHA!" dream where it all becomes clear. Also, a skeptic could read "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming," follow what LaBerge recommends, and subsequently very likely experience vivid dreams and quite probably eventually a LD for themselves, and thus become convinced through the experience. I'd hope the same would be true for this course you're proposing.

      I know you're saying it's important to not lead people to false beliefs as it sends a confusing message. What's I'm saying is we'll send a single message, but what people do with that message is beyond our control.
      It's that and giving people the ability to measure progress via feedback. I think that specifying concrete, but staged for experience, goals or definitions will allow for *less* student frustration rather than more, than if they were completely left to their own means to determine just what "shared" or "same" means.
      Sageous and RedKali like this.
      FryingMan's Unified Theory of Lucid Dreaming: Pay Attention, Reflect, Recall -- Both Day and Night[link]
      FryingMan's Dream Recall Tips -- Awesome Links
      “May I awaken within this dream and grasp the fact that I am dreaming, so that all dreamlike beings may likewise awaken from the nightmare of illusory suffering and confusion.”
      "...develop stability in awareness and your dreams will change in extraordinary ways" -- TYoDaS

    11. #36
      Shhh RedKali's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      LD Count
      Location
      'Merica
      Posts
      22
      Likes
      350
      DJ Entries
      286
      Quote Originally Posted by FryingMan View Post
      A dozen donuts a day to 3 can only be seen as an improvement or progress if there is a stake in the ground somewhere that says "less donuts is better" for a healthy diet, and if a practitioner is even able at all to determine how many donuts a day they've eaten.
      Sure, and the working definition Sageous offered does well in this regard. For a class, progress is determined with self-reporting; this is the same method the monthly tasks require before handing out those wings.

      Quote Originally Posted by FryingMan View Post
      This is orthogonal to allowing for clarity of measuring experience against an unambiguous goal (which is what I see as the point of the diet thing). But it is very important. This sounds like somewhat of a prerequisite (ala what ThreeCat requested), or at least, "what one should be prepared for" that I didn't see mentioned in your syllabus. What else are among the prereq's and "you should knows"? And is one's ability to detect a sharing experience determined by one's preparedness to hear what other's have seen?
      I haven't created the lesson plans yet, so I can't say for sure what the preqs will be or even the other "you should knows". First the class needs to be approved--then I'll devote hours to lesson plan creation. Briefly, there are a lot of things going into the "you should knows" and I'd like to avoid overwhelming people with information. I want to really sit down, plan it out in its entirety, then make adjustments and focus on the most important aspects. To address the basic concern, the goal is to experience a shared dream. Detecting shared dreams should be done by the individual, with feedback from the instructor(s). Example, a student doesn't think they had a shared dream, but the instructor does. The instructor points to specific events and brings those into focus. Events may meet the requirement for a shared dream, but if the student still doesn't agree, that's for them to decide. It was their dream. I cannot tell them what they did or did not experience as I wasn't the individual having the experience. I can reflect on their experience, but at the end of the day it's the student's responsibility to determine their experience. Detecting a shared experience can be related to how open an individual is to hearing what others have to say. This gets into the "Proof" portion of my outline. In the beginning students will likely need feedback from others. Once students gain confidence in recognizing shared experiences, then that feedback doesn't have to be a part of their experience. This confidence is achieved by having multiple shared dreams, so this is unlikely to come up within the scope of the class. At a basic level, yes, detecting shared dreams will require being receptive to feedback from others.

      Quote Originally Posted by FryingMan View Post
      I'm curious, is belief in mind to mind communication required in order to experience shared dreaming? May a current skeptic or an agnostic follow your course, open to the possibility of proof by experience, and "see for themselves?" Or does a skeptical or agnostic point of view prevent the experience in your view?
      Nah, no one needs to believe in shared dreaming to experience shared dreaming. Skeptics and agnostics certainly can follow the course and make a personal attempt to "see for themselves." I'm very open to have skeptics and non-believers come and experience for themselves. Forcing people to believe in something is always a terrible idea. I prefer to gently lead people in the direction and allow them to come to their own conclusions based on their personal experiences. I don't pressure people either, I want people to do what they're comfortable with and if this course causes distress, dysfunction, or places anyone in danger then the recommendation to stop will be made. Based on my personal experience, most of those I've had shared dreams with have been firm non-believers. The rest were already sharing dreams when I met them. This isn't a new concept xD it's just very strange and foreign. It's particularly exciting to see the excitement snowball for people when they have their first shared dream. Many curiosities are awakened by that first experience.

      Quote Originally Posted by FryingMan View Post
      I see it somewhat analogous to lucid dreaming itself: many people disbelieve it is possible, but those who have experienced it themselves know the reality of it in their bones. LDing however has it relatively easy compared to shared dreaming, because while the experience itself of LDing may be subjective and lucidity itself is on a spectrum just like how you say the shared-ness of a dream may be, the goal post is unambiguous and easy to state: "know you're dreaming while in a dream." It is of course possible to have experiences that leave one semi-doubting, but there is inevitably (in those who persist) that "AHA!" dream where it all becomes clear. Also, a skeptic could read "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming," follow what LaBerge recommends, and subsequently very likely experience vivid dreams and quite probably eventually a LD for themselves, and thus become convinced through the experience. I'd hope the same would be true for this course you're proposing.
      Yes, this is similarly true for the course I'm proposing. Obviously, lucid dreaming is much easier to achieve than shared dreaming. I don't know why that is exactly. Maybe because some people don't have interest in others. Being able to interact genuinely seems like an important feature of shared dreaming. Reaching that level of authenticity seems to be helpful for sharing dreams. Genuine and authentic desires to share in experiences with others. Some people really don't want to connect--it makes some uncomfortable to engage in that type of intimacy. I'm not saying the experiences which occur during shared dreaming are intimate; but the connection to make that communication possible, is intimate.


      Quote Originally Posted by FryingMan View Post
      It's that and giving people the ability to measure progress via feedback. I think that specifying concrete, but staged for experience, goals or definitions will allow for *less* student frustration rather than more, than if they were completely left to their own means to determine just what "shared" or "same" means.
      I agree. There will be a concrete definition and personal goal setting I want to make this as achievable as possible--because it's mind-blowing and people should really have their minds blown xD There's so much potential in this and I want as many intelligent and passionate people involved in the experience as possible.
      Sageous, FryingMan and Patience108 like this.
      “Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.” ― Socrates

    12. #37
      Shhh RedKali's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      LD Count
      Location
      'Merica
      Posts
      22
      Likes
      350
      DJ Entries
      286
      Update:

      I'm aware it has been awhile since this topic has been discussed. I've responded to Ophelia's PM and a couple afterward to follow-up, but haven't heard anything since the first request for more information. It seems there's no movement on the course and there are currently no plans or communication occurring on an administrative level; so I assume it's not going to happen anytime soon.

      I have received kind and creative requests to host a shared dreaming course via Skype or Google--and that may become a possibility, but I hesitate to do that because of the lack of support from others. I can't be a one-(wo)man show; there's just not enough time available for that sort of intense and complex discussion and instruction--I need the help from other instructors and shared dreamers and that's most easily achieved here in DV Academy.

      On the other hand, perhaps the admins are simply overwhelmed with other issues and they plan to approve it at their earliest convenience. I'll keep this thread updated should I hear anything new. I appreciate the interest and curiosity in the topic
      DreamCafe11 and Patience108 like this.
      “Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.” ― Socrates

    13. #38
      Long Time Lucid Explorer Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Huge Dream Journal 3 years registered Populated Wall Tagger First Class
      <span class='glow_FF1493'>DawnEye11</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Gender
      Location
      Venus
      Posts
      850
      Likes
      2335
      DJ Entries
      352
      Quote Originally Posted by RedKali View Post
      Update:

      I'm aware it has been awhile since this topic has been discussed. I've responded to Ophelia's PM and a couple afterward to follow-up, but haven't heard anything since the first request for more information. It seems there's no movement on the course and there are currently no plans or communication occurring on an administrative level; so I assume it's not going to happen anytime soon.

      I have received kind and creative requests to host a shared dreaming course via Skype or Google--and that may become a possibility, but I hesitate to do that because of the lack of support from others. I can't be a one-(wo)man show; there's just not enough time available for that sort of intense and complex discussion and instruction--I need the help from other instructors and shared dreamers and that's most easily achieved here in DV Academy.

      On the other hand, perhaps the admins are simply overwhelmed with other issues and they plan to approve it at their earliest convenience. I'll keep this thread updated should I hear anything new. I appreciate the interest and curiosity in the topic
      Glad to see you post an update. I was thinking about this thread recently. I doubt they would just leave it up in the air after the attention this thread gained. It's most likely that their busy or distracted by other things. Hopefully they will respond to you soon. I'm still interested in seeing it as a class and the results that might come from it. Also, I do think it would be better if the class was here than google too. I don't see a reason to keep it seperate if it could grow more with a group of knowledgeable dreamers.
      RedKali likes this.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

    Similar Threads

    1. Auto Suggestion to Stay With in a Dream
      By sivason in forum Dream Control
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 01-10-2014, 09:51 PM
    2. Lucid Dream Suggestion
      By Fky314 in forum Dream Control
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 08-07-2012, 02:30 AM
    3. Replies: 2
      Last Post: 01-19-2011, 11:30 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •