• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

DJ Entries

Movie -Inception- *SLIGHT SPOILER* *Won't ruin movie*

well I just watched it and I was shocked at how they did their shared dreams it was the same way I thought of to have shared dreams get the dreamers to connect to each other with a wire *mine was to monitor the brain waves that is the dream and link them together to form one complete dream sequence* and thats what they did but it was at their wrists, it was amazing in the end they had like 6 dreams in one they went deeper and deeper just to implant a notion, and the act of doing that s inception it was amazing I learned/made up a new reality check a totem a unique object that is simply unique to you like the main characters is a spin top and for him he spins it if it topples then he isn't dreaming if it doesn't then he is omg, If u haven't seen this movie you must.

Just got back from seeing it. The movie was amazing and I kept thinking about lucid dreaming throughout the whole film. It was the best movie I've seen that portrays lucid dreams so accurately. I suggest everyone see it.

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

LD Count
      a number
      Illinois
      It was a really good movie, although I wouldn't go as far to say it was all that accurate. They added ideas and constraints on things that aren't really true especially TIME, but they were part of continueing the plot.
      Spoiler for Favorite Scene:
      Marge: [in the future, praising technology] "It's great! We can do *anything* now that Science has invented Magic. "

DJ Entries
      i absolutely loved the movie! it has restored my faith in the entire movie industry..that good, original movies can still be made. it's not a stupid remake or made from book deal...it comes off completely fresh and new. i also thought about lucid dreaming the whole time, and yes i can tell that some things weren't quite accurate...it still made a spectacular film

for me at least it has helped respire my interest in lucid dreaming!
      'What I have shown you is reality. What you remember... that is the illusion.'
      Sephiroth *cue screaming fan girls*

check out my warped brain...u know u want to O_o

Kentucky
      I'm a witness as well. Awesome movie.
      08/14/05 I stumbled upon www.dreamviews.com
      10/14/05 7:30AM First lucid. First dream control by wilding.
      Number of lucids this month of April: 1
      Total Lucids: 7

Winthrop, Maine
      This thread is so relevant to my interests... I just saw it yesterday, it was amazing! I couldn't stop thinking about lucid dreaming and I thought the "kick" explained a lot about waking up while falling in dreams.
      http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg181/walfe/MarioSig.jpg

LD Count
      Tons
      Bay Area, California
      DJ Entries
      I really want to see this movie. I was going to ask if it was any good. Thanks, guys

The Inceptor Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by EVIL JOE View Post
      It was the best movie I've seen that portrays lucid dreams so accurately.
      I wouldn't say its a really accurate representation of lucid dreaming but it does present many of the ideals behind lucidity. For a lucid dreamer, it's a must see for sure. In fact, if you read the Inception comic prologue on the official website it does literally say 'lucid dreaming' on one part.

Anyway, this movie is epic... Christopher Nolan is the filmmaker of the 21st century hands down. An awesome mindf*ck and honestly, didn't really understand it all (yet), but the way I like it, the perfect movie for me. Must-see again for me, or more like 3 or 4+ times over. Goodbye Matrix from being my top movie, hello Inception.
      An Idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities. An idea can transform the world and rewrite all the rules.

DEILD: 3
      DILD: 1

Dream Walker
      United Kingdom
      Loved Inception.

As a film production student it was nice to see something so original yet so old (the fact that lucid dreaming has been around a LONG time), and how Christopher Nolan was able to portray dreaming and lucid dreaming very well (obviously with keeping to the plot as well as the audiences understanding). The space of the environments, the colouring, the whole concept, the way they went about sharing dreams. It was imagination, inspired by dreaming, where the best creativity lies.
      I came home and just wanted to go to sleep, to dream. I instantly wanted to start my lucid dreaming training again and I shall thanks to this movie.

Like Secret Neo said, bye bye Matrix, hello Inception.

Just a fabulous film!

Go see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Neo View Post
      I wouldn't say its a really accurate representation of lucid dreaming but it does present many of the ideals behind lucidity. For a lucid dreamer, it's a must see for sure. In fact, if you read the Inception comic prologue on the official website it does literally say 'lucid dreaming' on one part.
      Obviously it's not 100% accurate what with the time distortion and the injuries-always-hurt and the dying-in-dreams-always-wakes-you-up and the changing-things-in-familiar-places-makes-DCs-try-to-kill-you, but what I'm saying is that it is the most accurate portrayal of lucid dreaming that I've seen in a movie.

I really like how they talk about not knowing how you got to where you are now to prove that you're dreaming, because while that applies to dreams, it also sort of applies to the transition of scenes in the movie itself.

I might see it again today if other people are up for it.

The Inceptor Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by EVIL JOE View Post
      I really like how they talk about not knowing how you got to where you are now to prove that you're dreaming, because while that applies to dreams, it also sort of applies to the transition of scenes in the movie itself.
      Agreed. One of my favorite parts was when Ariadne first realized she was in a dream.

By the way, I just found this. Good explanation of a few things.
      Last edited by Secret Neo; 07-20-2010 at 02:05 AM.
      An Idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities. An idea can transform the world and rewrite all the rules.

DEILD: 3
      DILD: 1

Inception: Unimaginative Gunho Fetish

I thought this movie had an interesting concept, but it got infected by a culture obsessed with violence. It felt like the majority of the movie was based on guns, reloading guns, shooting, finding guns, and punching. Even with violence, it didin't have much variety of it (i. e. the matrix). It lacked greatly in creativity. This was a chance for the filmakers to really use their imagination, seeing that it is a movie based on dreams (and we all know the creative power of dreams) and they used a very narrow part of the artworks produced in dreams. Sure, it had a few creative sparks to it, but barely any that are new from the recycled trashcan monotony put on by mainstream media. It seemed real similar to some mediocre action movie, only different in that they were in different layers of a dream. I thought I might be inspired after watching it, but no...It really felt like a shotgun to my imagination, I was real disappointed.

Though, I recently watched, "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus," which in my opinion is a way better portrayal of dreaming elements and imaginative, enjoyable film making. That was an original and inspiring movie, not inception.

The more I hear about this movie, the less I like it.

LD Count
      The Netherlands
      DJ Entries
      Seen it a few weeks ago, I think it is awesome.
      Ofcourse it isn't all fact based and true.

But it was my reason to get back to lucid dreaming again.
      Dream goals: Not completed / Tried / Completed
      Summon the Sword of Lucidity / Gravity Shifting(Walking on walls)

LD Count
      Not enough
      Corona, CA
      DJ Entries
      THe GF and I saw it today. I thought it was pretty good. however i was looking for more dream actions in the beginning, like extra fingers, or not walking, but floating/ just being whee they needed to be, just like in a dream, but the movie never really had that kind of stuff and mostly made sense (unlike dreams where upon waking you realize that the world you were in made little sense, lol)

The shared dreaming thing was a little far fetched for me, but w/e, was still a cool movie
      Dreams Recalled since 10-31-09: 776
      Best Recall in One Night: 8 (12-25-10).
      DILDs: 8 (2-26-11); MILDs: 4 (7-28-10)

Goal: Play Calvinball [ ]

Oregon
      DJ Entries

"O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Central Florida
      DJ Entries
      I loved the movie.

And while I understand some people's gripes about there not being more "dreamy" elements in it, I see this as a little biased (and kind of cliche) view of dreams, in general.

Even the most fantastical dreamers have mundane dreams. That there weren't any unicorns or dragons or people with extra fingers is actually integral to the plot. Don't forget that the dreams were designed by the team. They weren't just going into Fischer's (the mark) mind. They were creating dreams that he is intended to believe are his own. Remember, the initial goal of their mission relied heavily on the mark not knowing he was dreaming. So, when designing the levels of the dreams, it was crucial to make them mundane, everyday atmospheres that a young CEO of one of the most powerful energy companies in the world would experience - the city he works in, a hotel, and some remote snowbound getaway.

And we cannot say that the movie was completely devoid of dream imagery. A train driving down the middle of a city street, knocking cars out of the way, is very surreal - as was the way Ariadne built the bridge that went across the road, when Cobb was teaching her to build. Building sandcastles that formed entire, life-sized, building complexes and then knocking them down with a brush of their hand? That was pretty surreal, don't you think? They houses that sat on water, in the middle of Cobb and Mal's city? The entire, other city which folded up on top of itself? The zero gravity fighting? Considering that this movie is a more of a psychological piece than a straight out action movie, I think they didn't go overboard on the action (except for maybe the snow fortress dream, which seemed drawn out. However, I understand that this was done to highlight the fact that they were 3 levels down, and time was passing by much more quickly. They were down on that level for about an hour, fighting that battle, so it wouldn't have done the idea justice to have a 5-minute firefight).

All in all, I thought the movie was fantastic. As someone who is "mildly" obsessed with action movies, I can say, with all confidence, that this isn't just another mindless shoot-em-up.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

LD Count
      Tucson, AZ, USA
      DJ Entries
      Secret Neo, Zanwolf, that honestly makes me really sad to hear. The Matrix is still number one for me; it's probably the reason I became interested in lucid dreaming to begin with.
      I saw Inception yesterday, I was really impressed by it. I agree with several things said already: It was visually stunning- It looked like a dream. It wasn't super accurate, (though much of that could be caused by the machine they used) but was generally faithful to LD.
      It's definitely the reason I logged on here today.
      Since seeing it, I've had my pocketwatch in my pocket as a sort of totem- when I notice it, I do a RC. We'll see if it helps.
      "Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?" -Morpheus
      Recorded dreams: 28
      DILD: 10+