• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Like Tree38Likes
    • 30 Post By Mancon
    • 1 Post By Nexi
    • 5 Post By Zoth
    • 2 Post By Abra

Thread: Common Mistakes That Prevent People From Getting Lucid

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Referrer Gold Tagger First Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries

Common Mistakes That Prevent People From Getting Lucid

1.) Time

I often see people picking a technique, trying it for just a few days, and then giving up because it "doesn't work". Most techniques aren't meant to work in just a few days! It requires a bit of time and effort, just like most skills. Once you pick a technique, stick with it.

How long will it take to work? Well that depends on the person. For some people, a technique can take just a few weeks to work. Others, a few months. Give it some time and you will be rewarded. If you really don't feel like the technique is working for you, then switch techniques. Just give it a chance first.

2.) Confidence

I often see people say "That sounds Hard.." or "I don't think I can do that" or "I can't lucid dream!" or "Lucid Dreaming is just hard for me..". That is not the case! In my opinion, your attitude is one of the biggest factors to getting lucid. If you believe it's easy, it will be. Visualize yourself easily becoming lucid. Tell yourself that, that is how it will be for you soon.

If something doesn't work, don't worry! That's life. Be confident and tell yourself it'll work the next time. When it comes to lucid dreaming, be an optimist! Stay on the positive side of things. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING.

3.) Not Spending Enough Time and Effort On It

Say someone decided to try to WILD. Okay, sure! They get up in the middle of the night to attempt it. They lay still in their bed for three minutes and give up because it "didn't work." Some things require more time and effort than others! If you aren't working hard on a technique that requires hard work..it won't work! Don't expect getting lucid to be easy if you don't do anything. Just like most other skills, it requires some time and effort.

4.) Focusing Too Much On Getting Lucid

So you're really excited about becoming lucid and want to be lucid fast. So you spend every five minutes doing a reality check, read about lucid dreaming all day, and are trying a million techniques at once. Just slow down..and take a break. You don't want to overdo it and cram you're mind with a million different techniques. Just take it slowly. First focus on dream recall, then techniques, then dream control, etc. Not all at once!

5.)Not Choosing The Right Technique

A lot of people choose an induction technique because it sounds cool but don't think about how it will fit in with their life. Say someone decided to WILD but don't have time to wake up in the middle of the night to try it, or someone wants to try DILD but can never remember to do reality checks. That won't end up working out. So before you choose a technique look at my guide to choosing the right technique.

6.) Not Doing Something Right

I remember the first time I wanted to try to WILD. I quickly read over the tutorial and went to try it. I laid down and stayed still with my eyes wide open expecting something to happen. Of course, I didn't know your eyes were supposed to be closed while WILDing! If something isn't working for you read over multiple tutorials and guides carefully just to make sure you are doing it right.

So hopefully I helped a bit! If any of you guys see a mistake or have ANYTHING else to add, please say so! If I think of anything else, I will add it on later. Thank you!

LD Count
      2013: 2
      Pallet Town
      DJ Entries
      Thank you for this Now I bet I can finally convince my friend to lucid dream. He doesn't bother even trying anymore because he thinks he will never become lucid Thank you again.
      Mancon likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Tagger Second Class 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Lost in the World
      DJ Entries
      Nice tutorial, I enjoyed especially point 4): some times people try to hard to get lucid, that they induce stress onto themselves (omg I forgot to do a reality check, wtf I didn't wake up for WBTB). That really can cause more harm than good. Some stuff I'm thinking of:

- Remember that it's not the technique that gives your lucidity, it's your mindset. Some people think they got a MILD because they followed every single step of some tutorial, but the deal is that they found a good way to make themselves confident on their skills. This is probably why some people have more troubles having lucids after their first ones: at first, they are clueless about the "info" and they just strike for lucidity without many notions. Later, people think that the fact that you haven't practiced seriously means you can't get lucid.

- Small effort is still effort. The deal isn't so much about performing 5 WBTBs per night, or to do 100 reality checks during the day. The goal is to create an habit, a routine that makes your brain get used to your goal of becoming lucid. This is why many regular lucid dreamers don't suffer if they "slack" once in a while. They took ages to prepare themselves mentally and to include lucid dreaming in their lives. So it's okay to keep a slow pace, as long it's steady. Sometimes taking the time to record a dream with 3 images is as valuable as a big one: convince yourself of your intent!

-Discipline and motivation: do you really think you're going to get lucid if you make yourself annoyed with so many exercises? On the other hand, watching movies, reading fantasy books, reading other people's dream journals, google images or redecorate your room are great ways to keep yourself relaxed and amused with lucid dreaming. This will not only give you a nice feeling of motivation, but is also a good way to get into the "spirit" of lucid dreaming.

Anyway, thanks for posting mancon, and that picture is great I'm gonna save it in my computer and this tutorial going for my archive as well
      Quote Originally Posted by nito89 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by zoth00 View Post
      You have to face lucid dreams as cooking:
      Stick it in the microwave and hope for the best?
      MMR (Mental Map Recall)- A whole new way of Recalling and Journaling your dreams
      Trying out MILD? This is how you become skilled at it.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Referrer Gold Tagger First Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Thank you Good tips zoth!

Next-Level EpicOneironaut Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Epic
      DJ Entries
      Love it! Great job putting it together. I was actually going to make a thread like this in a few days, but I might need to reconsider. It might not be necessary anymore

DJ Entries
      You didn't think you needed to close your eyes? XD
      Woodstock and Mancon like this.
      Abraxas

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      You didn't think you needed to close your eyes? XD
      Yeah, I wasn't thinking XD but I had my eyes open the first two time I tired it >.>

DJ Entries
      someone linked me here, awesome guide Mancon.
      I am free

Focus is like a dream.
      DJ (School 2)

XIII Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      200+
      Las Vegas
      It's funny because once I stopped focusing so much on becoming lucid, I had my first DILD the next day
      DILD: 150 | DEILD: 8 | WILD: 20

LD Count
      Hampshire, Britain
      DJ Entries
      Really great guide,
      Thanks a lot Mancon
      Object number one for lucid dreaming:
      Take over the world with an army of rubber ducks
      Object number two:
      Go back in time and be personally responsible for the extinction of unicorns
      Object number three:
      Master TK, get the subtle knife from his dark materials, get a Dragon, get a Harry Potter wand.

Banned
      USA
      DJ Entries
      Nice post. 2.) Confidence and 5.)Not Choosing The Right Technique are in my top two. If something works for one individual this does not necessarily mean it will work for another. I use visualization exclusively. It works for me.

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class

LD Count
      vOv
      This is a great guide, neatly wraps up a lot of different stumbling blocks. Unfortunately, your link to your guide on picking a technique doesn't work for me. I found it through a search, but you might want to take a look at the link.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Keris View Post
      This is a great guide, neatly wraps up a lot of different stumbling blocks. Unfortunately, your link to your guide on picking a technique doesn't work for me. I found it through a search, but you might want to take a look at the link.
      Thanks! I'll fix that.

LD Count
      47@ 6 Months
      Behind my Eyes
      DJ Entries
      hmm sounds good to me.

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      This guide was short, and to the point. I enjoyed it!

DJ Entries
      thank you

LD Count
      100+
      Flossmoor
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Azul View Post
      It's funny because once I stopped focusing so much on becoming lucid, I had my first DILD the next day
      thats happens to me alot

Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Huge Dream Journal Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

LD Count
      The Astral Realm
      DJ Entries
      Awesome guide and very well said
      Click the door... and welcome to my dream world!

Lucid Dreaming: Natural - Lucid Dreamer since I was a kid.
      Astral Projection ~ Farthest reached: The Pleiades Star System.

Official Dreamviews Toty 7 Lucid Tasks Challenges