• 1 Post By Puffin
    • 2 Post By Zoth
    • 1 Post By Sensei
    • 4 Post By Sensei
    • 1 Post By LifeIstheDream
    • 5 Post By gab
    • 1 Post By NyxCC
    • 1 Post By DreamyBear

Thread: Find out What Technique is Right for You!

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Referrer Gold Tagger First Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries

Find out What Technique is Right for You!

Don't know which technique to choose? Can't decide? Hopefully this thread will help!

First of all, if you don't know what all the main techniques for lucid dreaming are click here. It will describe all the main techniques. When you look these over ask yourself: does any technique stand out? You should choose a technique that appeals to you the most and works best with your lifestyle.

DILD- If you don't feel like waking up in the middle of the night for lucid dreaming this might be a good technique for you. This technique involves doing reality checks/being aware throughout the day so that the checks/awareness carry down into your dreams and make you lucid!

Are you good at reminding yourself to do certain things during the day? Are you generally aware of things around you and you wouldn't be bothered by doing reality checks (like pinching your nose) in public. If you said yes to all of the above, DILD would be a good technique for you.

Do you have a common object/person/theme that always appears in your dream? This is called a dream sign. People that have a lot of dream signs or one specific dream sign would also like DILDing.

DILD Guides to Check Out:

-All Day Awareness by KingYoshi
      -DILD Wiki Guide

WILD- If you are the kind of person that randomly wakes up in the middle of the night/doesn't mind getting up in the middle of the night you might like WILDing. WILDing is good for people who can easily be relaxed, can stay still, and are patient. V-WILD is another variation of WILDing. If you are good at visualization and can imagine things easily, check out my VILD guide below!

WILDing is best with a WBTB, but can also be attempted while napping. So if you are a person that naps during the day...WILD!

WILD Guides to Check Out

-Mancon's In Depth WILD Guide
      -Yoshi's WILD Technique
      Mancon's VILD Guide
      -Wiki WILD Guide
      -Jeff777's Guide

MILD- MILDing is good for people with a busy lifestyle. It only requires a few minutes before going to sleep. If you are confident, good at autosuggestion, and can remember your dreams well - MILD!

MILD Guides to Check Out

-Naiya's MILD Guide
      -Wiki MILD Guide

Things You Should be Aware of:

-Don't expect a technique you choose to start working right away. It can take a few months or even a year to have your first lucid dream. It really just depends on the person. DO NOT give up after just a couple weeks of trying a technique. You have to stick with it!

-There is no technique that is "the best". Different techniques work better for different people. It all just depends on you.

-A lot of newbies tend to choose to WILD when they first start out. This is fine, but when you WILD you need patience. It doesn't work right away and you need to keep practicing to get better at it. WILDing is often recommended for people who are more experienced.

Just a quick little thread I put together in the darkness of the night Thanks for reading!
      Last edited by Erii; 08-05-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Changes made, Mancon requested

First to Dream Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Good job on this! I think this is a nice guide to those who are having a hard time trying to figure out why technique that they should do.
      Marine Recon
      Swift, Silent, Deadly
      DILD-14 WILD -5 FA-6

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Referrer Gold Tagger First Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Thanks!

First to Dream Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      No problem, it's a great guide!
      Marine Recon
      Swift, Silent, Deadly
      DILD-14 WILD -5 FA-6

Bird Brain Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal
      LD Count
      Lost count.
      DJ Entries
      Great job Mancon, I'm sure this will help a lot of people!

Mind if I add a link to this page in the Beginner's Guide?
      Mancon likes this.
      We all live in a kind of continuous dream. When we wake, it is because something,
      some event, some pinprick even, disturbs the edges of what we have taken as reality.

Vandermeer

SAT (Sporadic Awareness Technique) Guide
      Have questions about lucid dreaming? DM me.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
      Great job Mancon, I'm sure this will help a lot of people!

Mind if I add a link to this page in the Beginner's Guide?
      Not at all

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Tagger Second Class 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Lost in the World
      DJ Entries
      I found the "Things You Should be Aware of" especially useful. I know there are skilled people out there, but imo WILD is really not the easiest way to begin lucid dreaming with :p Just in the sense it requires a huge control and patience, and can lead to a loss of sleep in the first times :p

And thanks for taking the time to post links to guides, should make much easier to people who read about it find all the info they need

ps: Awesome picture (my pc only loaded like 1minute later xD)
      Sageous and Mancon like this.
      Quote Originally Posted by nito89 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by zoth00 View Post
      You have to face lucid dreams as cooking:
      Stick it in the microwave and hope for the best?
      MMR (Mental Map Recall)- A whole new way of Recalling and Journaling your dreams
      Trying out MILD? This is how you become skilled at it.

Lurker
      DJ Entries
      The link to the first WILD tutorial is broken. There is a <br /> tag in it that shouldn't be there.
      Great post though, very helpful!

Chief of Lucidness Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points 1 year registered 3 years registered

LD Count
      Texas
      DJ Entries
      Very nice guide! Since I started with WILD (First LD was a WILD) should I stick with it or practice with easier techniques?
      Lucid Dreams - 5 WILD:1 MILD:1 DEILD:1 DILD:2

Lucid Dream Check List - A = Attempted X = Completed

Fly[] Throw Fire[A] Teleport[A] Transform[] Command a Spaceship[] Explore the Universe[]

Dream Count as of March 27'th; Non-Lucid Dreams - 2 Lucid Dreams - 0

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by DeathTopping View Post
      Very nice guide! Since I started with WILD (First LD was a WILD) should I stick with it or practice with easier techniques?
      Whatever you are most comfortable with and what you want to do. WILD is a great technique and comes with many benefits but it does take time for most people to master and achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityPillow View Post
      The link to the first WILD tutorial is broken. There is a <br /> tag in it that shouldn't be there.
      Great post though, very helpful!
      Thank you! Fixing that now.

Chief of Lucidness Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points 1 year registered 3 years registered

LD Count
      Texas
      DJ Entries
      Okay, thanks!
      Lucid Dreams - 5 WILD:1 MILD:1 DEILD:1 DILD:2

Lucid Dream Check List - A = Attempted X = Completed

Fly[] Throw Fire[A] Teleport[A] Transform[] Command a Spaceship[] Explore the Universe[]

Dream Count as of March 27'th; Non-Lucid Dreams - 2 Lucid Dreams - 0

Upside down Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      ~40
      DJ Entries
      I really like MILD because autosuggestion works for me. I can just tell myself "I'm waking up at 4:00" and it will happen. However, when I say "I'm lucid dreaming" or any other LD related mantra it just doesn't have any effect. :/

LD Count
      The Dream World
      Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
      However, when I say "I'm lucid dreaming" or any other LD related mantra it just doesn't have any effect. :/
      I'm the same way. I love the idea of MILD, as I do have a very busy lifestyle, and I have a great prospective memory, but I'm having the same problem you are.
      One of my first lucid dreams was a MILD, but I haven't been successful with that technique for a very long time. I think it would be the best technique for me, but I just cannot remember to tell myself I'm dreaming.

Does anyone know the reason why we can remember to remember many things in our daily lives, but not that we will be dreaming?

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class Referrer Gold
      The Depths
      DJ Entries
      When we are dreaming the frontal cortex (i think that is what it is called) is shut off and we don't reason things out.

I use MILD and I think that "I'm dreaming" is a lot more effective, but it doesn't matter what words you say when using a mantra, it matters the meaning and the feelings you put into it. Really the same way everything works, but saying the same thing mindlessly over and over doesn't do anything.

LD Count
      The Dream World
      Yeah, I've noticed the repitition before sleep doesn't really work for me. It's more the intense statement that I tell myself. That's what worked the first time, I just told myself I'd remember and I really, really meant it. I think that's considered autosuggestion though, isn't it?
      I'm just having trouble because this technique doesn't seem to work consistently.

Dream Guide Achievements:
      5000 Hall Points Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      A great review of techniques! I've been doing RCs for 3 to 7 times a day (not enough I know!) for the past couple of months. I hadn't made a single RC in a dream, with the exception of once when I was flying. However, the number of lucid dreams had increased from 1-2 a month to 4-5 a month. My plan is to repeat my dream signs till I finally become lucid upon encountering them, not just by chance. I also find DEILD a good technique to practice as I really do wake a number of times during the night and it is somewhat less demanding than WILD.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class Referrer Gold
      The Depths
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by LifeIstheDream View Post
      Yeah, I've noticed the repitition before sleep doesn't really work for me. It's more the intense statement that I tell myself. That's what worked the first time, I just told myself I'd remember and I really, really meant it. I think that's considered autosuggestion though, isn't it?
      I'm just having trouble because this technique doesn't seem to work consistently.
      Yeah, it doesn't matter how much you say it either. Saying it with meaning is normally easier, but everyone is different. You need to find what works for you.

Think of practicing the auto suggestion as sports. You need to practice the correct form. You start shooting threes and you make the first one. Yay! Using the correct form and everything! Then you miss the next 10 shots. Still using the right form. crap! you then start trying different techniques for shooting. Doesn't work that way does it? That is how people approach LDing. When you take the shot you need to practice the same shot from the same distance with the same form, just switching up minor things so that you can get it right.

I hope this analogy makes sense. Using any technique takes practice. You will get better at it with time. If it worked once, you can make it work again.

LD Count
      The Dream World
      It was a great analogy BrandonBoss! Thanks a lot! I just need to keep working at it, and it'll come eventually. I'm sure this is the method that will work best for me. Thanks for the motivation!
      Sensei likes this.

gab
      Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      What really works for me is adding strong emotions when I RC. I ask myself "wow, what if this is a dream, I just didn't notice". I try to recall a happy/startling feeling. You know, like when you wake up in the morning after Christmas and you know something really good happened yesterday, but for a second you don't recall what it was. But you have this happy feeling in pit of your stomach. Then you remember all those toys you got the day before.

Or any other happy/expectation/surprise feeling you can recall from your past. If you had LD before, you can think of that startling/happy feeling as when you first time realized you are dreaming.

Then this jolt/startling feeling transfers into my dreams and I go "wait a minute, am i dreaming?". And byt the end of that question I'm already lucid.

Dream Guide Achievements:
      5000 Hall Points Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      DJ Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gab View Post
      What really works for me is adding strong emotions when I RC... If you had LD before, you can think of that startling/happy feeling as when you first time realized you are dreaming.

Then this jolt/startling feeling transfers into my dreams and I go "wait a minute, am i dreaming?". And byt the end of that question I'm already lucid.
      gab, this is a brilliant idea! I must admit that I do some RCs quite absentmindedly. Combining RCs with an emotion like the LD happy feeling would add much more awareness to it. Will definately try to do RCs this way.
      gab likes this.

Banned
      In a dream.
      DJ Entries
      Mine is obviously the WILD technique. Thanks.

Slayer Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger Second Class 1 year registered Veteran Second Class 1000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      1 short one :(
      Near Chicago
      Thank you dude, Im going with DILD for busy week days.

This is a dream Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      LD Count
      ?
      In my mind
      Quote Originally Posted by gab View Post
      What really works for me is adding strong emotions when I RC. I ask myself "wow, what if this is a dream, I just didn't notice". I try to recall a happy/startling feeling. You know, like when you wake up in the morning after Christmas and you know something really good happened yesterday, but for a second you don't recall what it was. But you have this happy feeling in pit of your stomach. Then you remember all those toys you got the day before.

Or any other happy/expectation/surprise feeling you can recall from your past. If you had LD before, you can think of that startling/happy feeling as when you first time realized you are dreaming.

This reminds me of the time when I just had this excited feeling before going to bed. That I was so certain about that I would have a lucid dream, that I later that night got one. But when I was that excited before I went to bed, I told myself to remember to calm myself down as soon as I would realize that I was dreaming within the dream. And in the moment I got lucid in my dream, I was perfectly calm. I remember how surprised I was over myself in the dream for being so calm.

So dont forget to remind yourself that you will remain calm when you get lucid.
      Sensei likes this.

DJ Entries
      hello i've been trying LD and astral travel for some time and found ur post quite helpful. and im new here