• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Mastering Your Dreams

Explorer Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      Florida, USA

Post Mastering Your Dreams

The knowledge I'm about to impart upon you took me around three years, and hundreds of lucid dreams to acquire.
      To be perfectly blunt, I perceive the information your about to read as being the most important I've ever written on the subject of dream control. Indeed, other than to expand upon the following info/explain it better, I shouldn't ever have to write another tutorial on this subject again. I think you'll agree once you finish, its quite comprehensive.

This is the second of two tutorials I've written to try and simplify lucid dreaming in general. You can find the first: "How to Lucid Dream," here.

_________

Mastering Your Dreams

"Mastering Your Dreams," doesn't that title evoke the most awe-inspiring imagery? The Hobbit standing high, gripping tight at the reigns of his hulking, blazing dragon; the amputee flinging his body over the last icy boulder at the tip of Everest...
      Mastering Your Dreams! What a monumental feat that would be. An occasion worthy of song!
      ...Right?

We the community of Dreamviews.com have made an enemy of our biggest ally. In our minds we have depicted the place of dreams as being a wasteland of cheap thrills and half experiences. In our collective unconsciousness dreamland is an illusionary, fragile, half-assed place where we must compromise and compromise so that we don't offend our all knowing, all powerful "subconscious."

I have come to the conclusion that we are addicted to challenge. We are given the most powerful gift any being could ever be given: our own private rule-free universe, and what do we do with it? We make up a bunch of "laws" that are "very hard" to get around. We limit ourselves so that we will have something to work towards overcoming.
      Some examples:
      • "Sex makes your LDs super unstable!"
      • "Lucidity makes dreams less stable!"
      • "You can't flip a light switch!"
      • "Don't close your eyes! You'll wake up!"

This is crazy! A gross misinterpretation has been made of the dreamstate at large. We have created mythical beings: "Our subconscious, our dream guides, Angels, Demons..." for the sole purpose of limiting ourselves. We have let our imaginations go wild: ignorantly making up insane fantasies and canons where none should exist.

Why must we limit ourselves in this incredible world? Isn't it enough that we have to eat, drink, sleep, live, and die in real life?
      Leave your sense of competition in the shower, lucid dreaming should be about adventure and enjoyment, not an epic struggle against forces unknown (if you want to compete with DCs in your LDs have at it, but you should never have to fight an invisible foe: your "subconscious" for things like lucidity or dream length).

In order I will be going over:
      • Dream Formation
      • Lucid Dream Formation
      • Dream Control
      Please don't skip any of the sections,
      they were written to be read in order.

Wouldn't it just be beautiful if our dreams all had hidden messages in them that we could just "read" and better ourselves with?
      Well, they do... Kind of.

Normal dreams are created by our brains using a very essential psychological function known as schemata. Sc
      hemata dictate how we view the world on the most primitive level. They are our unconscious mind; our expectations.
      "Unconscious mind?"
      To be honest, I'm not too well versed in the terminology of psychology. I say unconscious, because the word itself is fitting. Your schemata are your basic principles for reality, or, your biases.

An example of a schema (Schema= singular form of schemata) that I have is that a bird has wings.
      You don't even have to think about whether a bird has wings or not, you just unconsciously know they do. This is a schema in action.

__

So how does this relate to dreams?
      With each real-life experience you have your schemata are modified. The outer world is objective, just because you think something is true doesn't mean it is. Your schemata are ever being updated to allow you to live closer to reality.
      For example, a person that has only experienced unacceptance from others may unconsciously believe that everyone is always judging him. If that same person experiences more of life, their schemata will be modified to take into account that some people are actually pretty cool and like him for who he is. He will unconsciously believe that he is ok how he is, and will thus not automatically assume that people are judging him.

Again, how does this effect dreams?
      Your dreams are the outcome of rampant, unchecked schemata (expectations) building on top of one another. All dreams start as seeds. The seed is an image, just some random image that is vomited out of your collective memories. Here's an example of a dream going from seed to imaginative story:
      1. You see a grayish outline
      2. Schemata: "That outline looks like a boulder"
      3. The outline becomes a boulder
      4. Schemata: "Boulders must mean a mountain"
      5. Your now standing on a mountain
      6. Schemata: "Mountains have sheep"
      7. There are sheep all around you
      8. Schemata: "Sheep need a shepherd"
      9. Theres a shepherd standing beside you
      10. Schemata: Shepherds were in that story in the bible
      11. Angels appear and begin to sing
      That is extremely overly simplified. Your schemata are consulted about everything in the dream, from what color a rock is, to what shape a rock is, to the light levels of mountains that you've seen similar rocks on... Everything.

The only "intelligence" behind your dreams is schemata. Schemata do not think, they are billions of little rules that you have cached into the massive data storage unit of your brain.
      The reason you can study your dreams to improve yourself is because they are a direct link to the little rulebook inside of your head. They show you your most basic beliefs on reality and what is possible, allowing you to change these as you please.

___

Keep in mind that schemata are also being created every time you watch a movie. They say: "magic is real in special cases, the Matrix is a real place, women like to have sex on the kitchen counter," etc etc.
      When your watching a fantasy movie your not steadily thinking about how impossible it is to do magic, your schemata are in effect saying: "this is possible in this circumstance." In the same way, when your in a dream your not thinking about why your able to throw balls of energy, you just do it.

Expectations become dreams.
      I have told you how normal dreams are formed for a reason. Very similar laws apply when lucid, except things become a bit more like reality.

Lucid Dream Formation

In the same way schemata direct everything about non-lucid dreams, they have an equally large impact on lucids.

Though the fundamental laws of the dreamstate don't suddenly change when lucidity is achieved, they are slightly altered.
      The change is the same as when you suddenly snap out of the illusion of watching a movie. One second your sitting there completely immersed, the next your back in your body, having realized that you really need a bathroom break.
      The illusion of the movie was broken. Suddenly you stopped passively taking in the stream of shit it was pumping into your brain and came back to reality. You were able to objectively think: "My god, thats not how it would be in real life at all!."
      In short, you were able to switch from one set of schemata to another, from the set of "action movie," to that of "reality." You were able to consciously manipulate your expectations.

The same thing happens in lucid dreams.
      When you become lucid, your able to take a step back and say: "wait a second, monsters don't exist in real life, why should I have to put up with them here?" Then your dream will change to be like real life.

This is how we control our dreams; we manipulate our expectations, which manipulates our schemata, which manipulates the dreams on the most direct level.

Dream Control

If you believe something, be it: "To fly in LDs you have to wear a cape," or "When you orgasm in a dream you automatically wake up," you are creating rules for your lucid dreams.
      Beliefs are schemata, and schemata are the fabric of lucid dreams.

From the moment you logged onto dreamviews your mind's collection of schemata on "what a lucid dream should be like" has been growing. Law after law has been pounded into your brain, from not being able to read, to not being able to properly use a lightswitch. Your schemata grew and grew, then you had a lucid dream.
      In that lucid dream, there was no objective reality, you were in an altered state of consciousness that ran totally on schemata -- no outside forces effected your dream.

In your lucid dream you tried the things that you believed to be very hard and guess what happened? You failed.
      The next day what did you do? You logged on to Dreamviews.com and posted about how you had tried that in a lucid dream, and it really is as hard as everyone made it out to be, thus planting that schema in another unsuspecting noobs noggin.

___

Well I'm here to spawn only one schema: lucid dreams are limitless. They don't have to be blurry, they don't have to be short, they don't have to be scary, unrealistic, or illogical.
      If you wanted, all of your lucid dreams could be near perfect imitations of reality. No more having to stabilize, no more having to focus on your hands for clarity, no more placebo, and no more fighting.

Your dreams are yours for the taking. There is only one "law" that exists in lucid dreams, they don't last forever.

To achieve anything in your lucid dreams, all you must do is realize that nothing is hard to get in lucid dreams. In the world of LDing, all you need to do is know that something will happen, and it will.
      That is how you master your lucid dreams: realize that all you must master is your own belief that dreams have rules.

Last edited by BillyBob; 12-06-2007 at 01:06 PM.

Explorer Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      Florida, USA
      This tutorial was written differently than others I have written in the past.
      Please tell me what you thought of it. If it gets a bad reception I'll just rewrite it

And yeah, this is very similar to this thread.
      That thread was crappily written and I could find no way to salvage it without totally rewriting and destroying its essence .
      Believe it or not, this tutorial and that one are actually quite different

I'm planning on editing the one I just linked to get rid of repeated information later. It and this one should work together for a more comprehensive effect.
      Last edited by BillyBob; 12-06-2007 at 03:04 AM.
      SilverBullet and Nikkonic like this.

Very good, even if it is much like the Universe one (which is hardly a bad thing). I can see you've read ETWOLD (especially the expectation bit), but I should have expected someone like you to have.

Anyhow, great tutorial, most of which I agree with. People too often don't look beyond the surfaces of their dreams and are all too eager to believe what they read as fact. I have also never understood why people so strongly believe Lucidity or excitement destroys the stability of dreams, I've never had a problem with it. Same thing with dream sex. Although I never knew the bit about the light switch; I had always thought that was an accepted reality check that light switches don't work in dreams.

Like I said, great tutorial. Keep up the good work.
      "Of course it is all happening inside your head...but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

~Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Revd Sir Stephen, Ph.D StephenT's Avatar
      Texas
      Sweet! Another BillyBob tutorial.

Reading it now.

Explorer Achievements:
      Florida, USA
      Quote Originally Posted by Stephent91 View Post
      Sweet! Another BillyBob tutorial.

Reading it now.
      Doh

This tutorial is more for people that have never read the infinite universes one.
      This tut and infinite universes are going to linked together. That way You'll read this first (thus seeing that anything is possible), then you'll read infinite universes.
      Having read about and fully understood the properties of the dreamworld, you'll be able to more easily implement mass dream control.

This tutorial explains to you why anything is possible, then I'll have a bunch of links at the end to other tutorials I've written on actual ways of using this knowledge to get the most out of your LDs (real tutorials that tell you: "do this" etc)
      Last edited by BillyBob; 12-06-2007 at 03:52 AM.
      SilverBullet likes this.

Cleveland, Tennessee
      The tutorial is excellent... I think schema got the best of me today. Thank you... you've changed my perspective on the dream world in less than fifteen minutes.
      littlepooky04 likes this.

Texas
      Ahh I see.

Well, I just got done, I liked it very much! It did kind of reiterate the Infinite Universes one like you just said, but it's insightful!

I actually am reading Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming right now, and I just clicked on here to see if anything new was ebing discussed. What I'm reading in EWOLD and this go hand in hand in every way, so this was very good for me! Especially putting it in terms of schemata.

The differences I got out of this and Infinite Universes was that this one is about how LD's are limitless, and Infinite Universes, though has the same point, it teaches you kind of how to impliment rules necissary for the schemata. Like the Middle Earth examples in Universes.

I'm excited though! This seems to be the next piece of the puzzle for me. I can't wait to put this controlled thinking into further use in my next lucid dream!

Explorer Achievements:
      Florida, USA
      Thanks for all the comments guys/gals.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephent91 View Post
      I actually am reading Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming right now, and I just clicked on here to see if anything new was ebing discussed. What I'm reading in EWOLD and this go hand in hand in every way, so this was very good for me! Especially putting it in terms of schemata.

I'm excited though! This seems to be the next piece of the puzzle for me. I can't wait to put this controlled thinking into further use in my next lucid dream!
      Yes, people don't give Stephen enough credit. That guy had/has many incredible ideas that many overlook.
      Not saying everything he says is hands down truth, but a good deal of it is

It took me two years after reading his book to fully understand the implications of schemata on dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Will N Vance View Post
      The tutorial is excellent... I think schema got the best of me today. Thank you... you've changed my perspective on the dream world in less than fifteen minutes.
      Wow, thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TaNK View Post
      Anyhow, great tutorial, most of which I agree with. People too often don't look beyond the surfaces of their dreams and are all too eager to believe what they read as fact. I have also never understood why people so strongly believe Lucidity or excitement destroys the stability of dreams, I've never had a problem with it. Same thing with dream sex. Although I never knew the bit about the light switch; I had always thought that was an accepted reality check that light switches don't work in dreams.
      Thanks

Yeah, new people are very impressionable. They know absolutely nothing about the subject, so they soak up any and all information they can get their hands on.
      Which is pretty much the worst possible approach to lucid dreaming
      Last edited by BillyBob; 12-06-2007 at 04:30 AM.
      SilverBullet likes this.

Texas
      I don't really know how much credit he gets, but Stephen is pretty much the DaVince or the Shakespear of dreams it seems to me.

He did so many science based experiments to prove the scientific concepts of dreams and lucidity, but he also has all these philosophical ideas and topics. You're right that he has all of these overlooked ideas.

I'm going to bed though... great new tutorial!

Good night!

Just gotta go post that I'm going to have a lucid dream tonight in the thread real quick.

LD Count
      i/0
      Canada
      I'm on to your plan.

You're gonna make so many tuts that will turn everyone into such good dreams that they won't pay attention to real life anymore thus making it easy for you to secure world domination.

Good ol' placebo tho =)

with the power of 28!! seeker28's Avatar
      Idaho, USA; the back end of nowhere.
      THANK YOU!!

This is exactly my philosophy on lucid dreaming, only much more clear than I've ever managed to say it! You are my hero!
      LD tasks of the month completed: 16
      Read some of my writing:
      http://dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=52477

Visit my deviantart gallery:
      http://seeker28.deviantart.com/

A dark desert highway
      DJ Entries
      Though this is similar to the universes one as has been mentioned, it's still a bit different and awesome either way. Thank you. (And is there a way to get some of these put in the tutorials section? It's worth it.)

somewhere out there...
      dude. that is some insightful shizzle!

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Heya,

Very nicely written. You manage to effectively and clearly summarize a very difficult concept there, that has huge implications on one's dreamlife indeed. Excellently done!

In my experience though, realising your dreams are formed by these schemata (or associations, to use the psychoanalytical term) is just the first step. The hard part is, to me at least, is reshaping them. The mind doesn't easily let go of the things it believes in

-Redrivertears-

inside my head, most of the time

... by request

Seriously, though, it's a good post.
      Last edited by beorn; 01-25-2008 at 09:44 PM.
      The Turtle Moves!
      ʃoɯuıo, ɘɹɡʘ ʃʊɯ

Explorer Achievements:
      Florida, USA
      Quote Originally Posted by beorn View Post

... by request

Seriously, though, it's a good post.
      Argh,
      If you want it done right...

SilverBullet likes this.

italy
      DJ Entries
      you're great, and your infinite universes thread helped me a lot

just one doubt: if being"addicted to challenge"brings fun, why throw it away?
      Monkey Is BACK!

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Holy crap - everything you wrote makes complete sense in the most amazing and eye opening ways ever! DUDE... THANK YOU for this post its awesome

DJ Entries
      I totally agree with your statement, and from the beginning when I found DV, I took everything with a grain of salt ,because some laws didn't apply to my previous dreams at all, and therefore learned anything is possible. Some people find flying, teleporting or spawning etc hard and think they'll have to have extreme concentration to achieve such things, but it's just because they think they do, that they'll have to.
      All experiences portrayed in this game are for entertainment purposes only.
      In the real world refrain from using superpowers, obey the laws of physics and be sure to always wear your seatbelt.

DJ Entries
      Great job on this tutorial BillyBob! Everything is very clear and concise.

LD Count
      Multiverse constuct 7.3 x 10^317, Virgo Supercluster, Local Cluster,Milky Way Glxy, Sol system,Earth
      DJ Entries
      This should be required reading for all new DV members.

"My body may be bound by gravity, but my imagination knows no limits." -Me
      -start date: 3/31/10, current LD count: 131
      Goals: [X] successfully stabalize a LD, explore dream world, and learn to fly
      [ ] Discover the source of consciousness, find my spirit guide, experience absolute cosmic unity

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by MatrixMaster92 View Post
      This should be required reading for all new DV members.
      Yes, totally! This really changed my views on things. People need to stop making laws for themselves. I think just by reading this my dream control got a huge boost .
      Thanks for that.

LD Count
      a lot
      everywhere, twice
      DJ Entries
      at the start when you say we dont have to fight our subconscious is like an ld i had i almost forgot to stabilize my dream and a DC said: "arent you forgetting something?" i instantly remembered i needed to stabilize. It's like my subconscious was help me stay lucid
      let's live our lives heroically
      let's live them with style

dreaming now!!! Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Ohio, United States
      thankyou, very helpful!
      LD Goals: [x]=succeed [-]=working on or almost
      sex[x] flying[x] meeting Justin Bieber[-] go to space[x] hallucinate[-] be an air bender with Aang[ ] become a transformer and be able to instantly change into an autobot[ ] fly to the moon[x] fight master chief[ ] Be an animal going to a people zoo[ ] Go to a theater in the 1920's and watch the premiere of a silent Charlie Chaplin film[ ] Meet Albert Hoffman and consume a huge dose of LSD with him[ ] Be rolling while DJing massive rave[-]

I've Returned Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class 10000 Hall Points
      USA
      Very quickly after I read this I got a MASSIVE amount of control in my dreams. Just gotta hold them up and I will be able to do lots of stuff...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast