Night Stalker <span class='glow_000000'>Baron Samedi</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries

How to tell the difference between a DC and another dreamer

The Ignore Test
      DC's require your attention to exist.
      Other dreamers do not.

Therefore, a simple test is this: If you think a person in a dream may be real, as in another dreamer with their own mind, ignore them. Just turn you back on them, and if they are a DC, they will have vanished.

If it is another dreamer, they will still be there.

Traits of DC's vs. Dreamers

Intellect
      Another way to tell is DC's are kind of idiotic. They tend to talk in circles, nonsense, or even total gibberish. If they say anything intelligent, it sounds like something you would say, or something you would expect them to say.

Another dreamer (if they are inexperienced) will usually say, "This is my dream! Get out of my dream!" because they, like you, were raised with the silly silly notion that dreams are all in your head. I always laugh when they say that. Other dreamers will have conversations with you. They will often surprise you with their intellect. Another common thing they may say is, "No, you're not real, I'm real."

Energy

A real dreamer has a different feel. Imagine the energy of a character on a TV show. Now imagine someone is in the room with you. They are silent, but they are there.

Appearance

A dreamer may have a very detailed appearance. A DC will generally have a much more simple appearance.
      ya gwan fok wid de Baron? ye gotta nodda ting comin. (Formerly known as Baking Nomad.)

Spontaneously Combusting Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger Second Class Veteran First Class
      Australia
      DJ Entries
      do we always share dreams? or are there times when we are the only ones in our dreams?

LD Count
      In the sky
      DJ Entries
      Do you always have to be lucid to have a shared dream?
      Formerly known as: the dream Dragon

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by AustralianFire View Post
      do we always share dreams? or are there times when we are the only ones in our dreams?
      We often share dreams, but not always. In your Inner World, it may just be you and your DC's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid-Balloon View Post
      Do you always have to be lucid to have a shared dream?
      No.
      ya gwan fok wid de Baron? ye gotta nodda ting comin. (Formerly known as Baking Nomad.)

I've Returned Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class 10000 Hall Points
      USA
      you could have just said that in reply to the PM that I sent you earlier this month

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowboy View Post
      you could have just said that in reply to the PM that I sent you earlier this month
      I apologize if I missed your PM. The PM system here does not show if you have replied to a PM that you have received. It only shows if you read it.

I read all my email, but I sometimes forget who I replied to. I get a lot of PM's.

LD Count
      You said that sometimes your in a dream, with other dreamers, and other times your in your own dream world. Is there a way to choose between, like, a different technique to becoming lucid, or is it completely out of our control? + Sorry if its a stupid question, i'm only new.

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by AsLong View Post
      You said that sometimes your in a dream, with other dreamers, and other times your in your own dream world. Is there a way to choose between, like, a different technique to becoming lucid, or is it completely out of our control? + Sorry if its a stupid question, i'm only new.
      Is there a different technique to becoming lucid? other than what?

What does your question have to do with the first sentence?

Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class 10000 Hall Points
      USA
      No, that's not what I meant when I said
      . You had sent me something that made very little sense, yet you could have sent something that made a bit more sense. (I'm not mad, just noting it)

LD Count
      Sorry ill rephrase, is there a way to choose between your own dream world, and a dream world with other dreamers?

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by AsLong View Post
      Sorry ill rephrase, is there a way to choose between your own dream world, and a dream world with other dreamers?
      Think of your Inner World like your house.
      AsLong likes this.

San Antonio, TX
      DJ Entries
      I do have a lot of DCs that sorta fade away if I don't pay attention to them. Or sometimes when I become lucid, an entire DC cast will just disappear before my eyes!

But I also have a lot of DCs in my dream that seem intelligent and don't necessarily disappear. They remain fairly stable. I still consider them DCs though because of how they answer my questions, or their energy. Like sometimes they will come up to me and tell me that I'm dreaming, or they admit to being a DC. But they still seem conscious. Of course, maybe they're not DCs, but I actually don't want to consider that for too long

I guess what I'm saying is knowing the difference between a DC and another dreamer isn't so cut and dry for me. I've also had a DC once who told me that he was dreaming, inferring that I was his DC. But I can't remember if he was detailed or not!

Maybe my problem has to do with lucidity and dream stability. Being lucid first would probably help a lot

Amateur WILDer
      I tried the ignore test and 3 different dream characters and it failed every single time. I believe a lot has to do with your dream control. And my dream control is pretty bad...

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by blade5x View Post
      I tried the ignore test and 3 different dream characters and it failed every single time. I believe a lot has to do with your dream control. And my dream control is pretty bad...
      Really? Please post the dream.

A dream world
      DJ Entries
      The only problem with the ignore test is that, for example, say I travel to my dad, I find him in a dream, in order to see if he's real or not, I ignore him, likewise, he feels that I'm a DC, or otherwise that he shouldn't be near me, so he leaves, I turn back, he's gone. With certain people this is more likely, like my dad, who may or may not want me to go into his dreams, depending on the dream.

That, and the possibility that, and this is more of a posed question, if both dreamers ignored each other, would they not have a good chance of leaving the place where they were previously meeting at? Say I meet with you, and you think I'm a DC, and so you turn around and occupy yourself dreamscaping, I turn around and do an ignore test. It seems to me there would be a good chance of us leaving each other through even minor dreamscape changes.
      LD goals: Talk to a DC [X] Share a dream [X] Find my Dream guide [] Have an LD without a dream body, only images [] Dream share with my dad [X] Fight a one vs one against a self aware DC [] Free fall/stop an inch before the ground [X] Be fearless [X] Walk into a mirror [X] Use a portal to teleport [] Recall all dreams/3 dreams a night+ [] Master the four elements [] Fight with a "firebender" [] Easy and advanced TOTM in one LD [] Stop a vehicle/train with my bare hands []
      My dj: Adventures and experiments
      LD count since joining: 32
      MILD: 15 DILD: 10 WILD: 0 DEILD: 7

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by shiraniaori View Post
      The only problem with the ignore test is that, for example, say I travel to my dad, I find him in a dream, in order to see if he's real or not, I ignore him, likewise, he feels that I'm a DC, or otherwise that he shouldn't be near me, so he leaves, I turn back, he's gone. With certain people this is more likely, like my dad, who may or may not want me to go into his dreams, depending on the dream.

That, and the possibility that, and this is more of a posed question, if both dreamers ignored each other, would they not have a good chance of leaving the place where they were previously meeting at? Say I meet with you, and you think I'm a DC, and so you turn around and occupy yourself dreamscaping, I turn around and do an ignore test. It seems to me there would be a good chance of us leaving each other through even minor dreamscape changes.
      On the first scenario, yes that's a possibility.

On the second one, yes that's a possibility also.

Think of it this way: every RC can fail. So, so can the Ignore Test. There are a myriad of scenarios that one could think of.

In my experience, it works very well. Please try it and see what happens.

Banned
      One thing about the ignore test, If you are going to turn your back to the DC/Dreamer with the intend to ignore THEM. You aren't ignoring them you simply still think of them. Now if you your look up to see a beautiful dragon with big wings and claws that fly's really fast past your vision but you remember the sound of his wings moving the air around you as it passed. and then look in front of you, That is when you have ignored the being. Keep this in mind!

You maybe can achieve some result by just thinking you are ignoring them but the effect would be much stronger with scenario of the encounter with the dragon.

Also i am not stating that the TS have informed you wrong in any way i only say this because the interpenetration of this different depending on your personality.

LD Count
      20-30
      California
      DJ Entries
      Man, this makes me want to share a dream really bad...
      "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots. You see, reverend Maynard tomorrow is harvest day, and to them it is the holocaust."

<span class='glow_9400D3'>saltyseedog</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      eternally
      land of the lost pets
      DJ Entries
      I've had a couple dreams where my dog who died a few months ago randomly appeared at my side. As in I looked down and she was there without me expecting it.
      Wrighty likes this.

Reggie
      LD Count
      You can't share a dream?

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
      One thing about the ignore test, If you are going to turn your back to the DC/Dreamer with the intend to ignore THEM. You aren't ignoring them you simply still think of them. Now if you your look up to see a beautiful dragon with big wings and claws that fly's really fast past your vision but you remember the sound of his wings moving the air around you as it passed. and then look in front of you, That is when you have ignored the being. Keep this in mind!

You maybe can achieve some result by just thinking you are ignoring them but the effect would be much stronger with scenario of the encounter with the dragon.

Also i am not stating that the TS have informed you wrong in any way i only say this because the interpenetration of this different depending on your personality.
      Thanks for pointing that out. When you ignore someone, you most look at something else, and think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyseedog View Post
      I've had a couple dreams where my dog who died a few months ago randomly appeared at my side. As in I looked down and she was there without me expecting it.
      That's really cool.

USA
      I had a SD. I saw some people in my dream then saw them in real life... the dream is in my DJ.

It is the most recent entry. The people I saw were at the very end of my dream.
      WakingNomad likes this.

LD Count
      Lots
      Portsmouth, United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Love the post, but noticed that in the last year or two that along with suddenly being able to read/write in my dreams, that some of the DCs in my dream world (sphere) have started to display some major signs of intelligence/individuality. The only way I can be 100% sure if a DC isn't a real Dreamer is to use my 'will' to force them to say/do something. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to force a real dreamer to do anything, I had a clash with one once I think and couldn't get them to submit even though they seemed less than lucid.
      (Current) DREAM GOALS:
      1.Reach the Underverse as mentioned in the film 'The chronicals of Riddick' and gain 'soul rip' ability.
      2.Build a new and improved 'Lair of infinate evil' on the surface of the sun.
      3.Catch up with Satan and see if he has any work going for me

~~TARDIS = "I'm too lazy to walk..."
      SONIC SCREWDRIVER = "I'm too lazy to use logic and reason on this problem..."~~

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      yes
      DJ Entries
      the only thing i dont get with this is if you are purposefully ignoring them, then arent you somehow still giving them attention. like even if it is just a dc you may turn your back on them, but inside you may hope that they will still be there which may make them appear real?

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      DJ Entries
      I saw on a couple of Russian forums that people tend to check whether the person or a thing in front of them is real by confronting them and basically asking "what you really are?!" and even poking them or hitting slightly i don't know.

I actually used something like that even before I came across that - once in a dream I was watching a film with my brother and aunt and after becoming lucid I got really angry at them, because they seemed so fake. So I came closer to my aunt, took her face in my hands and looked at her attentively, strongly wishing she would show me her true nature - and then her face started morphing and she turned into this scary ugly green thing. My "brother" did the same.

But who knows, maybe that was real her anyway and my subconscious just revealed how I see her, because she's a true bitch X)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast