Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Tips on Lucid Living: Increasing Awareness in Waking Life

Night Stalker <span class='glow_000000'>Baron Samedi</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries

Tips on Lucid Living: Increasing Awareness in Waking Life

These ideas are based on different beliefs systems integrate lucid dreaming into their religion, some Don Juan ideas, and on personal experience.

These are things to do in Waking Life.

1) Ponder the illusory nature of life.

2) Consider how dreams are like waking life, and waking life like dreams.

3) Ponder the possibility of the dream world being a real place.

5) Wonder if you could be seeing other real people in dreams.

6) Visualize what you would do if you could do anything.

7) Do nothing and everything.

8) Maintain awareness. Turn off the autopilot, and do everything deliberately. Breathe, walk, eat, sit, stand, drink in awareness.

9) Force yourself to always have good posture. This is actually a great feat. This will give you amazing awareness.

10) Ponder how which laws in dreaming apply to waking life.

11) Be in the moment. Whatever you do, do just that one thing, and nothing else. This will give you amazing awareness and focus.

12) Do not be amazed, said Jesus. Remain calm. If you become too amazed, adrenaline will course through your veins, and you will wake up.

13) When you are listening, only listen. Focus on your awareness going to the back of your head.

14) Teach others about lucid dreaming. Teachers always learn more than students. When teaching focus your awareness to the third eye.

15) When neither teaching or listening, bring your awareness to your crown.

16) Take a full deep exhale and inhale with every breath. This is a great feet, and will amazingly increase your awareness.

17) Look at everything. Look at everything you see, but don't focus on one thing too much. This is will transfer over to lucid dreaming. This will also increase your awareness. You will begin to notice things you have never seen.

18) Listen to everything. Listen to as many conversations as you can simultaneously in a crowded room. Focus on one. Next make it all background noise. Listen to sounds far. Become so quiet, you can hear your own heartbeat.

19) Touch everything. It's best to do this in the forest so people won't think you're a nutjob. Touch everything, and notice the temperature, and texture.

20) Walk around with your eyes closed. This will increase the awareness of the other senses.

21) Don't watch TV.

22) Think about where you would go, if you could go anywhere, even if the place was not real.

23) When someone begins to argue with you, listen to them so hard, they are forced to quit arguing. This goes against your nature, and will increase awareness.

24) Do the thing that you are afraid to do in waking life.

25) Keep life new. Do new things. Try new foods. Meet new people. Always say yes if you can if someone invites you to do something new.

26) Do the most fun things in life as much as you can.

27) Meditate.

28) Be aware of others' energy. Learn how to avoid negative energy. Gravitate toward positive energy. This I call the "energy sense." Learn to cultivate it. Someone that gives you the creeps is negative energy. People that make you feel good without saying or doing anything have positive energy.

29) Ponder the possibility of everything and nothing being true.

30) Do a reality check every time you wake up, and every time you walk through a door. Every time you do an RC, say, I am dreaming.
      ya gwan fok wid de Baron? ye gotta nodda ting comin. (Formerly known as Baking Nomad.)

Intergalactic Psychonaut Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Referrer Bronze
      Couldn't resist a bit of sillyness...

1) Ponder the illusory nature of life.

Try and pretend the need to urinate is an illusion.
      Or the next time you have the flu is an illusion.
      You'll be amazed at how convincing the illusion of soggy trousers is!

2) Consider how dreams are like waking life, and waking life like dreams.

And consider why that would be, like say, maybe the brain is processing information from your daily experience.

3) Ponder the possibility of the dream world being a real place.

Then get cheesed off that that dream about winning the lottery happened.

5) Wonder if you could be seeing other real people in dreams.

Then worry about that dream where you got naked, covered yoruself in jelly and had sex with your neighbour.

6) Visualize what you would do if you could do anything.

Such as that mindless chocolate covered lesbian orgy you've always wanted.

7) Do nothing and everything.

Or in other words, be lazy but file it under "spiritual", that way you don't feel so bad

8) Maintain awareness. Turn off the autopilot, and do everything deliberately. Breathe, walk, eat, sit, stand, drink in awareness.

Wach in excrutiating boredom how seconds become hours, whilst you wait in line at the post office.

9) Force yourself to always have good posture. This is actually a great feat. This will give you amazing awareness.

Great awareness of all those muscles you never use straining under the new regime! :S

10) Ponder how which laws in dreaming apply to waking life.

Like the law of the ever expanding haddock, and the slow motion seagulls.

11) Be in the moment. Whatever you do, do just that one thing, and nothing else. This will give you amazing awareness and focus.

And if you were really being aware, you'll see this is exactly the same as number 8!

12) Do not be amazed, said Jesus. Remain calm. If you become too amazed, adrenaline will course through your veins, and you will wake up.

Jesus loved saying things like this, amazing he knew about adrenaline back then... he really should have wrote about that, would have been much more useful than all that wank in the bible.

13) When you are listening, only listen. Focus on your awareness going to the back of your head.

Don't do this in oncoming traffic... because, you may notice that your awareness in the back of your head, has become replaced by a gearstick or engine parts.

14) Teach others about lucid dreaming. Teachers always learn more than students. When teaching focus your awareness to the third eye.

Cross eyed teachers are best!

15) When neither teaching or listening, bring your awareness to your crown.

If you can't find your crown, it'll probably be in the drawer with all the little other bits and pieces from the christmas crackers.

16) Take a full deep exhale and inhale with every breath. This is a great feet, and will amazingly increase your awareness.

Don't do this whilst phoning female friends, as generally your number gets blocked, and you get a restraining order.

Also, for even greater feet, go for a manicure!

17) Look at everything. Look at everything you see, but don't focus on one thing too much. This is will transfer over to lucid dreaming. This will also increase your awareness. You will begin to notice things you have never seen.

Unless of course you are doing number 13, in which case you've really ballsed up. C'mon now, focus people!

18) Listen to everything. Listen to as many conversations as you can simultaneously in a crowded room. Focus on one. Next make it all background noise. Listen to sounds far. Become so quiet, you can hear your own heartbeat.

You'll notice just how much crap people really talk about... generally about shopping, people they fancy, and general comments about the weather. This will help increase your by now enflated ego, making you feel even more spiritual and "better" than everyone else.

19) Touch everything. It's best to do this in the forest so people won't think you're a nutjob. Touch everything, and notice the temperature, and texture.

If doing this in a swimming pool, be sure to be "aware" of exits, and security guards so after your quick grope, you can get out before the police arrive.

20) Walk around with your eyes closed. This will increase the awareness of the other senses.

This will also increase your chances of no longer having any senses when you walk in front of a bus.
      This is best combined with number 19 at the swimming pool, if done in the changing rooms, you can actually "astrally transport yourself" to what feels exactly like a sausage factory.

21) Don't watch TV.

Because it's a really bad idea to stay up to date with current affairs, news and science documentarys if you're trying to enflate your spiritual ego. It has a horrible way of pulling you back to the reality of the world we live in.

22) Think about where you would go, if you could go anywhere, even if the place was not real.

Like, disneyland.
      Wouldn't that be cool? you could teach donald duck about lucid dreaming whilst cross eyed!! woooo that'd be really wierd!

23) When someone begins to argue with you, listen to them so hard, they are forced to quit arguing. This goes against your nature, and will increase awareness.

People find it really hard to argue with people who look like they are constipated. Generally, they assume you are a bit "special" and walk away to talk to someone less worrying!

24) Do the thing that you are afraid to do in waking life.

You know, that thing with the gerbil and the lube.

25) Keep life new. Do new things. Try new foods. Meet new people. Always say yes if you can if someone invites you to do something new.

Drag queen base jumping is a growing sport and is always looking for new recruits!

26) Do the most fun things in life as much as you can.

Masturbation whilst eating ben and jerrys.

27) Meditate.

Another great way to do nothing whilst pretending to do something.

28) Be aware of others' energy. Learn how to avoid negative energy. Gravitate toward positive energy. This I call the "energy sense." Learn to cultivate it. Someone that gives you the creeps is negative energy. People that make you feel good without saying or doing anything have positive energy.

In other words, only hang out with people who agree with you. That way, you'll never have to evaluate your beliefs and always feel you are right.
      Avoid conflict, because if people argue with you, you can just dismiss it as "negative energy"... that way you're never wrong... well at least you'll never know you are. And hey! ignorance is bliss!!

29) Ponder the possibility of everything and nothing being true.

This way, you can once again never be wrong... you'll always have a water tight argument for being right.

30) Do a reality check every time you wake up, and every time you walk through a door. Every time you do an RC, say, I am dreaming.[/QUOTE]

Or you could just do one, when dreamlike things happen, and you could just say "Am I dreaming?"... kind of a bit more sensible that way.
      Jabre likes this.

Marin County, CA
      thank you, Waking Nomad.

Your DJ is incredible and i've wondered what you"do" -- or better said -- you you are, to create such amazing dreams.

and even why mine vary sometimes... and yet i can see that some days i live a far more aware life than others.

what you are saying, basically, is who you are in your waking life... is who you are in your dream life. aware in one, aware in the other.

i have been wondering, so much, how to bring more awareness to my dream life.
      what you say is simple, yet all-encompassing of one's waking life.

warmly,
      bg~~~

ps one question: no tv? at all? why is that? is it just that there are better things one can do with their time? etc. or do you feel tv is actually harmful, mind-numbing stuff?

sometimes i like to watch youtube, and living zen/yoga masters (etc) giving darshan, or chi gung, etc... is this in the same category as tv?

Skypedia
      Wow really good ideas there WakingNomad, I'm sure going to apply those to my life.. thanks a lot for sharing. I've been trying to figure out how to turn real life into a meditation and this is helping me alot!
      "Reject common sense to make the impossible possible." -Kamina

Nomad, you're the kind of person that keeps the world turning.

Also, I'd say I have one tip or another:

- Whatever may be your relationship with reality, keep in mind that every single unpleasant phenomenon is a potencial sign showing you where to go, if is it, that you want to make things better, for you and for others.

- Accept your horrendous dark side, let your shadow be true to you, once you are true with it.
      This makes it absurdly easier for you to grow well, being one with yourself and all that.

- Humans need reasons as fuel for their existence, there is no will to keep burning without something that you need for starters. Whatever cruelty may one do, it has a meaning, a root. It's not called "evilness", it is called "misshaped will" and misshaped will can be properly shaped, once you get the hang of it.

- It doesn't really matter if anything at all is real or not, if it is real for you, it affects you. You just have to let it affect you the right way.

- If a fact shows to be fixed in reality, remember that it is an interpreted law, it needs a view point to be there, it means that through the glasses of whoever said that, it was true, it doesn't means "Absolute truth".

And I am now currently out of creativity. Thank you for your time, whoever read this.
      Last edited by Corello; 10-13-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: I had something else to say.
      Erii likes this.
      "Always refreshing."

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      Space Explorer, I am not going to quote all that, but thank you. That was hilarious. Now I have to go drag queen base jumping in a dream! Thanks for the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl View Post
      thank you, Waking Nomad.

Your DJ is incredible and i've wondered what you"do" -- or better said -- you you are, to create such amazing dreams.

and even why mine vary sometimes... and yet i can see that some days i live a far more aware life than others.

what you are saying, basically, is who you are in your waking life... is who you are in your dream life. aware in one, aware in the other.

i have been wondering, so much, how to bring more awareness to my dream life.
      what you say is simple, yet all-encompassing of one's waking life.

warmly,
      bg~~~

ps one question: no tv? at all? why is that? is it just that there are better things one can do with their time? etc. or do you feel tv is actually harmful, mind-numbing stuff?

sometimes i like to watch youtube, and living zen/yoga masters (etc) giving darshan, or chi gung, etc... is this in the same category as tv?
      Well, it's mostly the commercials that are bad for your mind. Commercials are designed to create anxiety, to make you feel like you need the thing they are advertising. It's also mentally jarring because they interrupt what your mind was focusing on. I think it's much better to watch shows on DVD or the internet if you can commercial free. Usually when I watch TV it's just movies on AMC with no commercials. If you want to watch a show with commercials, I recommend muting them, and reading a book, or doodling or doing housework while the commercials are on, something, anything. Don't just sit there and watch something you are not interested in. That's a waste of time, which is a limited resource!

Now I have to look up darshan!

Quote Originally Posted by ChaybaChayba View Post
      Wow really good ideas there WakingNomad, I'm sure going to apply those to my life.. thanks a lot for sharing. I've been trying to figure out how to turn real life into a meditation and this is helping me alot!
      In many Eastern philosophies, everything is meditation, even things as simple as doing the dishes. You are welcome, but this is just a hodgepodge mashed together from different belief systems. None of it is new.

Quote Originally Posted by Corello View Post
      You are! Because it's love and joy, that keep the world turning. And, also the little green monkeys running on treadmills beneath the crust.
      ya gwan fok wid de Baron? ye gotta nodda ting comin. (Formerly known as Baking Nomad.)

He's also the kind of person who keeps deceased scientists turning in their graves.
      Hmm, maybe that's a bit mean... but, to be the devils advocate here:

It's remarkable how people so easily buy into open ended "meaningful" sounding statements. Like "Do nothing and everything." which is essentially saying absolutely nothing.

Or "When you are listening, only listen. Focus on your awareness going to the back of your head."

Which is basically saying: try and pay attention to what you are doing.
      Which is good advice, certainly, but it's also utterly common sense.
      Any of us could come up with a list of common sense ideas, then dress them up as "deep and meaningful" sayings.
      By putting "focus on your awareness going to the back of your head" at the end, again isn't really saying anything is it?

I'm all for living lightly and improving ones awareness, but that isn't a ticket to try and mystify what is really nothing other than common sense.

We can all play at being Zen masters, it's not hard...

"when sitting, just sit"

"When a thought comes to mind, consider the space in which it sits, then ask yourself... am i the space observing the thought, or the thought observing the space?..."

"A thought is like the moon reflected in a pond.. consider this, and observe how your attention is drawn to your third eye"

Personally, I find all this stuff when being stated like some kind of eternal truths, comes across with a kind of smug arrogance. Of course we all want to feel special and "spiritual", we want to feel we have meaning in this universe. But we should also be able to laugh at ourselves, and our smugness, not take ourselves too seriously. Because if we don't we are missing out on the awareness that we're just a few steps away from apes, grasping at a vast mysterious universe. It's far healthier to assume we know very little, and be humble in our approach, rather than put ourselves on a spiritual (and slightly selfserving) pedastal.

You can find a spiritual peace in accepting that the meaning of the universe is unfathomable to the human mind. That we are very small fish, in a very large ocean.
      Playing at being buddhas or Jedi Masters, on an online forum (or in day to day life for that matter), by pumping out smart little bits of common sense in flowery language, achieves nothing other than giving our egos a pat on the back, and pretending we are more important than we are.

Embrace not knowing and strive to find answers the hard way... not through sitting around navel gazing, but getting out there observing reality, experimenting, discussing, exploring. Even if those answers make our human existence seem even more meaningless and futile. Throw your spiritual ego in the bin, accept that the human race is barely out of the cradle and may have no special place in the universe, and become a part of the rational, scientific, mature generation that is helping us leave the cradle and take our first few baby steps into the universe.

Yeah it'd be great to be a Jedi Master,
      but in reality, its little more than a toddler putting on a superman costume and pretending he is something he is not. It's fun and reassuring, but it's not alligned with the reality we face.

It's late, and i'm rambling, and i mean no offence.
      But I think there is a real danger of falling into an ego trap if we get too carried away with our own spiritual self importance.
      I'd like to think Nomad would agree on this.
      Last edited by spaceexplorer; 10-13-2009 at 02:02 AM.
      menelvagor and pichulick like this.

The Universe
      Wow that's some really great advice there WakingNomad.
      "Sorrow is nothing but worn out joy."

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      He's also the kind of person who keeps deceased scientists turning in their graves.
      Hmm, maybe that's a bit mean... but, to be the devils advocate here:

It's remarkable how people so easily buy into open ended "meaningful" sounding statements. Like "Do nothing and everything." which is essentially saying absolutely nothing.

True.

Or "When you are listening, only listen. Focus on your awareness going to the back of your head."

Which is basically saying: try and pay attention to what you are doing.
      Which is good advice, certainly, but it's also utterly common sense.
      Any of us could come up with a list of common sense ideas, then dress them up as "deep and meaningful" sayings.

Yes!

By putting "focus on your awareness going to the back of your head" at the end, again isn't really saying anything is it?

You can move your awareness around in your body. Focusing on it going to to the back of your head is a way to draw in what the other person is saying.

I'm all for living lightly and improving ones awareness, but that isn't a ticket to try and mystify what is really nothing other than common sense.

We can all play at being Zen masters, it's not hard...

"when sitting, just sit"

That's actually really hard to with good posture at all times. There would be so many less back problems and carpal tunnel syndrome if people were more physically aware when they were sitting.

"When a thought comes to mind, consider the space in which it sits, then ask yourself... am i the space observing the thought, or the thought observing the space?..."

That's a great question. That's really funny that you said that, because I am reading a very interesting book right now, Entangled Minds by Dean Radin, and he asks that question.

"A thought is like the moon reflected in a pond.. consider this, and observe how your attention is drawn to your third eye"

Personally, I find all this stuff when being stated like some kind of eternal truths, comes across with a kind of smug arrogance.

That is a problem I have sometimes. Thanks for pointing that out. My best friend always used to tell me that I'm a smug bastard.

Of course we all want to feel special and "spiritual", we want to feel we have meaning in this universe. But we should also be able to laugh at ourselves, and our smugness, not take ourselves too seriously.

I think you and I should have a "smug battle." How about we try and dream about each other being smug, and see who can get an award I dub "The Smuggalicious Smuggetty Smugnugness Medal?

Because if we don't we are missing out on the awareness that we're just a few steps away from apes, grasping at a vast mysterious universe. It's far healthier to assume we know very little, and be humble in our approach, rather than put ourselves on a spiritual (and slightly selfserving) pedastal.

Hmm. Did my first post sound spiritual? I meant it to be about increasing physical awareness in waking life, so lucidity and awareness in dreams will increase. Maybe I need to rephrase some things.

I am self serving, true. My goal is to help as many people become advanced lucid dreamers so we can share dreams.

You can find a spiritual peace in accepting that the meaning of the universe is unfathomable to the human mind. That we are very small fish, in a very large ocean.

Is there a meaning to the universe? I always wonder about that.

Playing at being buddhas or Jedi Masters, on an online forum (or in day to day life for that matter), by pumping out smart little bits of common sense in flowery language, achieves nothing other than giving our egos a pat on the back, and pretending we are more important than we are.

I'm mostly just repeating things that other people said. As said the Zen Master we are all Buddha. As far as playing Jedi Masters, I only do that in dreams. Well, I am a Jedi Knight actually. I love those dreams!

Embrace not knowing and strive to find answers the hard way... not through sitting around navel gazing, but getting out there observing reality, experimenting, discussing, exploring.
      I agree. Every time I stare at my navel my back starts to hurt. I don't think I'll ever be able to achieve autofellatio. We should all experiment as much as possible.
      Even if those answers make our human existence seem even more meaningless and futile.
      You feel human existence is meaningless and futile?
      Throw your spiritual ego in the bin, accept that the human race is barely out of the cradle and may have no special place in the universe, and become a part of the rational, scientific, mature generation that is helping us leave the cradle and take our first few baby steps into the universe.
      I do think we are special, but not any more special than other sentient beings.
      Yeah it'd be great to be a Jedi Master,
      Dude, you should become a Jedi Master in dreams!
      but in reality, its little more than a toddler putting on a superman costume and pretending he is something he is not. It's fun and reassuring, but it's not alligned with the reality we face.

It's late, and i'm rambling, and i mean no offence.
      But I think there is a real danger of falling into an ego trap if we get too carried away with our own spiritual self importance.
      I'd like to think Nomad would agree on this.

Yeah.
      Erii and Electronium like this.

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by MrFantasy View Post
      Wow that's some really great advice there WakingNomad.
      Thanks for the nice compliments guys, but the last thing I need is my ego stroked. Like I said before, this is mostly stuff from Daoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and other Eastern religions, and also some stuff from Don Juan. I don't remember where I got each idea from, so I wasn't able to write a bibliography.

I knew that space explorer would get on my case about this if I didn't write a bibliography, but I didn't want to spend hours researching where I got everything from. Anyone can find these ideas by researching these belief systems.

Basically, what it comes down to is that everything in life can be a meditation. From pooping, to conversation, to hiking, to housework to sex.

Awareness is simply being aware of yourself, physically, emotionally, and mentally, and being aware of your surroundings.

LD Count
      honolulu, Hawaii
      DJ Entries

Also, I'd say I have one tip or another:

- Whatever may be your relationship with reality, keep in mind that every single unpleasant phenomenon is a potencial sign showing you where to go, if is it, that you want to make things better, for you and for others.

- Accept your horrendous dark side, let your shadow be true to you, once you are true with it.
      This makes it absurdly easier for you to grow well, being one with yourself and all that.

- Humans need reasons as fuel for their existence, there is no will to keep burning without something that you need for starters. Whatever cruelty may one do, it has a meaning, a root. It's not called "evilness", it is called "misshaped will" and misshaped will can be properly shaped, once you get the hang of it.

- It doesn't really matter if anything at all is real or not, if it is real for you, it affects you. You just have to let it affect you the right way.

- If a fact shows to be fixed in reality, remember that it is an interpreted law, it needs a view point to be there, it means that through the glasses of whoever said that, it was true, it doesn't means "Absolute truth".

And I am now currently out of creativity. Thank you for your time, whoever read this.
      Thanks for sharing. You gave me a lot to think about!

Lucid living here is a synonym for imagination, or so it seems. Pretend that you're lucid living, and there you are!

How about wearing only red socks? It's a new rule, guys, you must wear only red socks. And don't forget that you must open doors with the left hand from now on. Forgetting and opening with the right hand is equal to loss of lucidity, so watch that one closely. Easy to miss.

And remember, the most important thing is to keep believing. We aren't talking about being lucid here (whisper)... we're talking about planting a belief of being lucid deep inside of your fragile psyche! Don't worry it can take anything. Just do inanities and believe that you're cool. The feeling of coolness will carry you through, boosting your believing capabilities!

Spaceexplorer,

Paying attention to what you're doing is an example of common sense knowledge, it doesn't means it belongs to common sense, it means common sense has it in it's series of knowledges.

If you solely focus on an action, or a specific sense, you get a pretty much more detailed version of the situation, that improves your LD realistic graphics for example.

Another example is that it is an practice of focusing your attention, with it you obviously can build-up an improvement on your focusing. Which is very useful in my opinion to the everyday life.

(I know that's not what WakingNomad said, or meant, but) I'd give another meaning to "back of your head", as an expression, it can be one of those situations where you have "something going on on the back of your head", you know it's there, you may even know what's about, but you can't put it in words. In other words, you're thinking with the right side of your brain, your emotional/subconscious mind. Exercising non-linear way of thought is a good thing to do, it makes you get used to it (obviously). That being the way your unconscious mind talks to you in your dreams about your inner wills, which are very important for your grouth as a human being, I'd say it's useful to, for example, "Do Everything and Nothing." as a metaphor for the collective unconscious, by doing nothing consciously, relaxing your rational mind, your consciousness is directed to the other side, in which, deep down, there is the Collective Unconscious.

Lunch time here, I'm out.
      "Always refreshing."

for example, "Do Everything and Nothing." as a metaphor for the collective unconscious, by doing nothing consciously, relaxing your rational mind, your consciousness is directed to the other side, in which, deep down, there is the Collective Unconscious.
      So what you mean by "lucidity" is loss of consciousness! The very opposite of it.

Tell me if I forget how to use the fork, am I more lucid and aware? If I forget how to read letters, am I? Guys, I don't know where you get such wild notions.

According to this philosophy, the most lucid state ever is normal sleep. No rational mind there.

Quote Originally Posted by Arutad View Post
      So what you mean by "lucidity" is loss of consciousness! The very opposite of it.

Tell me if I forget how to use the fork, am I more lucid and aware? If I forget how to read letters, am I? Guys, I don't know where you get such wild notions.

According to this philosophy, the most lucid state ever is normal sleep. No rational mind there.
      Marry me

Skypedia
      Lol yeah you two would make a great couple ^^

It doesn't mean you don't get it that it doesn't make sense lol. It makes a lot of sense to me, everything you do is actually subconscious. Do you really think you know how to transform letters into words into sounds into meaning into pictures? Do you really honestly believe this is a rational process?

The conscious is the tip of the iceberg, the subconscious does all the work, the conscious is merely the guiding focal point. It does nothing at all. Please tell me what your conscious can do without the subconscious and how it does it, I'm all ears..

Arutad, you know, I get distracted a lot in my writings, sometimes they get confusing for someone other than me. Still, don't put words in my mouth, what you just said is an interpretation of my earlier post, pretty much far away from what I meant.

What I meant to say is that if you're used to imagery and simbolism-like communication, you can more easily decipher what your non-lucid dreams mean as messages form your subconscious, also, your subtile emotional responses in your waking life get less confusing once you get used to the language used in subject.

When I mentioned relaxing your rational mind, I didn't mean shutting it down, much less giving it up for working your daily life with only your emotional mind, that would be a disaster, if is it that such thing would be possible.

In deep medidation, or Gnosis for example, you are consciously experiencing it, but you're not making judgement of reality with your rational mind as you usually do, you're experiencing it with the other side of your mind.

Also, things you do in your daily life end up sinking down into your unconscious. If you cool down all your five senses in real life, laid on your bed, really deep, and then exercise your imaginary senses, as if you were somewhere doing something you didn't get the hang of in your LDs, like flying very high and fast for example. If you get to make it intense and vivid, that set of abilities may be passed down to your LDs. I know this because I do it. (Doing this in the alpha or Theta, if you can make it, state of consciousness is highly recommended.)
      "Always refreshing."

It makes a lot of sense to me, everything you do is actually subconscious. Do you really think you know how to transform letters into words into sounds into meaning into pictures? Do you really honestly believe this is a rational process?

The conscious is the tip of the iceberg, the subconscious does all the work, the conscious is merely the guiding focal point. It does nothing at all. Please tell me what your conscious can do without the subconscious and how it does it, I'm all ears..
      I never said anything about total refusal from the subconscious, or that it's possible to function without it. Only that functioning without the conscious is a silly idea, it's called deep sleep. When people associate lucidity or awareness with deep sleep, that's a wow. They basically want to fall asleep forever, without this "guiding focal point", totally unconscious, as if it puts them in touch with reality. It puts them in touch with their subjective feelings and sensations, not reality, but that's a matter of what you're focused on more (feelings and sensations), not the matter of trashing the conscious or anything else.

When I mentioned relaxing your rational mind, I didn't mean shutting it down, much less giving it up for working your daily life with only your emotional mind, that would be a disaster, if is it that such thing would be possible.
      Ok thanx for correcting me. That's great.

In deep medidation, or Gnosis for example, you are consciously experiencing it, but you're not making judgement of reality with your rational mind as you usually do, you're experiencing it with the other side of your mind.
      And this is something I can't agree with. Conscious mind is not what makes judgements, it merely frames them. But they reside somewhere else. Let's say that they're neither in the conscious or the subconscious fully. It's easy to prove on a dream forum: you make judgements in your dreams with ease, all the time. Moral judgements, predicting behavior, etc. Consciousness is not involved. And in awaken state it's a kind of interaction of the two parts of yourself, sometimes at war with each other.

So in my opinion if you want to purify your mind, for whatever reason, you should purify the subconscious, and the conscious will follow its wake. There's nothing to purify in the conscious, it's a tool that follows strict rules. It's a machine, and its functioning is the way of analyzing, making comparisons, evaluating, etc. Anything else is not coming from it.

But the poor rational mind always gets the blame. A traditional scapegoat.

Also, things you do in your daily life end up sinking down into your unconscious. If you cool down all your five senses in real life, laid on your bed, really deep, and then exercise your imaginary senses, as if you were somewhere doing something you didn't get the hang of in your LDs, like flying very high and fast for example. If you get to make it intense and vivid, that set of abilities may be passed down to your LDs. I know this because I do it. (Doing this in the alpha or Theta, if you can make it, state of consciousness is highly recommended.)
      I agree, but what did you want to prove with it?

The Universe
      Arutad, see "troll"....

If you really believe that we're talking about a bunch of bullshit, then why not just let us be happy and talk about our bullshit?

Arutad, see "troll"....

If you really believe that we're talking about a bunch of bullshit, then why not just let us be happy and talk about our bullshit?
      Auruad is not a Troll, she's a valuable member of the forum.
      Arguing against stupidity is not trolling.

As for why people feel the need to step in when people talk bullshit... it's because we are sick of bullshit taking over the world.
      It is bullshit, that when taken to the extreme, justifys things like people flying planes into buildings.
      Sure, thats an extreme, but it was fuelled by the same acceptance of bullshit at its very roots.

Skypedia
      Maybe you're the one talking bullshit... ever considered that? I'm just saying what if you were the one talking bullshit, then you would be the one taking over the world with your bullshit.. lol. I guess you didn't think that one out did you... I mean, you come in here ranting against spirituaity all the time, lol are you trying to save the world from people who believe in spirituality and are actively trying to change themself for the greater good? Wow how nice of you!

Even if spirituality is bullshit, the intent behind it is nothing but positive. How can you be against this positivity is beyond me... Actually, I think you are attracted to spirituality in the first place, or you wouldn't bother posting here. It's not the need to defend the world against bullshit, you can't erase all spirituality from the panet and you very much realize this. The true reason you come here is because feel major attraction...
      MariaIsabelPita likes this.

The Universe
      spaceexplorer, "Tips on Lucid Living" is the kind of bullshit that might cause people to crash planes into buildings?? Take the stick out of your butt, man.

You people need to grow up, the DreamViews forums are supposed to be about maturely discussing topics and promoting the art of lucid dreaming. Not that there's anything wrong with a healthy debate, but I get the feeling a lot of people on here just want someone to argue with. If that's the case, fine, but please go do it somewhere else and stop being such dicks to people who are honestly trying to have a good discussion. Besides, it's not like you're winning anyone over....
      MariaIsabelPita likes this.

Maybe you're the one talking bullshit... ever considered that? I'm just saying what if you were the one talking bullshit, then you would be the one taking over the world with your bullshit.. lol. I guess you didn't think that one out did you... I mean, you come in here ranting against spirituaity all the time, lol are you trying to save the world from people who believe in spirituality and are actively trying to change themself for the greater good? Wow how nice of you!

Even if spirituality is bullshit, the intent behind it is nothing but positive. How can you be against this positivity is beyond me... Actually, I think you are attracted to spirituality in the first place, or you wouldn't bother posting here. It's not the need to defend the world against bullshit, you can't erase all spirituality from the panet and you very much realize this. The true reason you come here is because feel major attraction...
      Yes I always consider if the things im studying are bullshit or not, I think that is a healthy way to be, question things, keep questioning, don't jump to easy conclusions. That is the foundation of critical thinking. So, whilst you may think you're making a clever insult, i don't take it as insulting, because it's a healthy way to be... Otherwise you end up believing in things like Auras, and not knowing what galvanic skin response but quoting it as if it backs up your argument.

I disagree, I dont think the intent behind spirituality is positive.
      I think it is self serving, a comfort blanket, a way to cocoon yourself away from reality to feel safe and secure.
      Being willfully ignorant, is not a positive force in the universe. Whilst it may solve some immediate fears and worries, it will in the long run line people up for being taken advantage of, both financially and mentally, and will also create a culture of ignorance.

Do we want a world full of people who shun facts in favour of unsubstantiated "happy feeling" beliefs?
      Where will that lead?

I am not attracted to spirituality, I've already wasted too much of my life chasing that rainbow, when i could have spent the time learning about the real world. I actually feel conned and ripped off, by people i trusted to share truths with me... only to discover they were simply passing on their own delusions (at best) or (at worst) knowingly misleading people for their own fame and financial gain.

That's why I stand up to it, because too few people do. They make weak arguments like your own that its foundations are "positive", when in reality its foundations are akin to "white lies" or "self delusion".

As Freud himself said: "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion. "

spaceexplorer, "Tips on Lucid Living" is the kind of bullshit that might cause people to crash planes into buildings?? Take the stick out of your butt, man.

If you can't understand the point I was making, then that in itself is worrying.
      The point is simple: if you have a world of people accepting lies because they make people happy, eventually someone will take advantage of that self imposed ignorance and make good people do bad things.
      9/11 would not have happened if people were more critical thinking, and didn't accept stupid religous ideas in the first place.
      And as will all religious thinking... it starts with simple ideas, simple lies, then grows.
      If you plant a seed of stupidy, eventually don't be suprised when you find yourself in a forest of bullshit.
      Last edited by spaceexplorer; 10-13-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Skypedia

You people need to grow up, the DreamViews forums are supposed to be about maturely discussing topics and promoting the art of lucid dreaming. Not that there's anything wrong with a healthy debate, but I get the feeling a lot of people on here just want someone to argue with. If that's the case, fine, but please go do it somewhere else and stop being such dicks to people who are honestly trying to have a good discussion. Besides, it's not like you're winning anyone over....
      Lol wow I think you nailed it down. Thanks for enlightening me...

Lol wow I think you nailed it down. Thanks for enlightening me...
      He nailed nothing, he completely sidestepped the point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast