• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How come every single european nation prospered by but only 1 african nation prospered.

How come every single european nation prospered by but only 1 african nation prospered.

How come every single european nation has prospered yet only a single african nation every propered, that being south africa. What caused this?

I can't say I am an expert on the subject but I will take a guess. I think perhaps the reason is because there was never a great empire that unified the African nations. When you think about it, there was several empires In Europe, the middle east and in Asia. Things like the Roman Empire, the Ottoman Empire, the Mongols, and even China has big wars to unify it into a single country, and there was many more as well.

Some would say war help to spur advancement, but that may only be part of the story. Tribal warfare probably doesn't do very much, but just get people killed. However when groups combine into large groups for very organized efforts of war, progress does come a lot faster. Then afterwards the large empire absorbs the cultures of the different groups and combine them, and people learn many things from each other. Education and knowledge is also then spread out from the strongest parts of the empire to the weaker parts(the ones that were conquered).

Africa never had any large driving forces to unify everyone, and so they didn't experience a lot of things that came with large nation building. Perhaps one of the biggest things the Roman empire did was build roads all across Europe. The roads all across help to connect the people and spread information and wealth across the entire area.

Africa still doesn't have a very good road system. If all of Africa was interconnected with a effective road system, they might be far better off today.

Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Da Aina
      The question in the title is what the book Guns, Germs and Steel is about.

Creationists and other "Humanities" types will call it "environmental determinism".

But that's just a lazy way of admitting that Jared Diamond is right without looking bad.
      BLUELINE976 and Supernova like this.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Da Aina
      Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
      I think perhaps the reason is because there was never a great empire that unified the African nations.
      Why wasn't there a great empire to unify the African nations?
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Diamond's documentary on his thesis is on Netflix if you care to watch it, Thatperson. Or anybody else for that matter.

We went over it last semester in my World History class. Seemed reasonable enough.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

Wololo Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Spiral out, keep going.
      DJ Entries
      Ironically, European nations.

No, really. Colonialism pretty well fucked Africa.
      tommo likes this.

Texas
      Isn't the colonial period pretty largely attributed to the state of affairs in Africa? I tend to think they had their own version of prosperity before that, but it just looked quite a bit different.

edit: Supernova ninja'd me I see.
      Last edited by IndieAnthias; 01-19-2012 at 12:26 AM.

What was there in africa before colonialism?

San Antonio, TX
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Thatperson View Post
      What was there in africa before colonialism?
      Rich diverse cultures that placed emphasis on celebrating the human spirit, family, community and gratitude for all the small things (by way of ritualizing even mundane tasks). Versus the imperialistic cultures that placed emphasis on profit and technological advancements.

Had colonialism never happened, Africas cultures could have proven to be the most sustainable of all.

There are so many horrifying stories of how women, children and the sick are abused in Africa - rape, neglect, abondonment - that people naively assume Africa was always this way.

But this is the result of suddenly injecting (racist) capitalism into communal cultures: the values that held everything together fall apart in a world where money is everything. I say racist capitalism because the capitalism imperialism brought to Africa wasn't the American dream that anyone can be a star - no originally the capitalism brought to Africa was to be cheap labor. And those were the good days after slavery.

It also needs to be understood, African nations (many times throughout history) that wanted to remain as independent as possible from the imperialists, were driven out to the most barren, driest inhospitable lands. This displacement, and war over natural resources, continues in Africa today.

D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      3D
      DJ Entries
      Europe is more seasonal. By their nature, seasonal cultures are more future/past oriented while equatorial cultures are more present oriented. The result is that seasonal societies get more shit done. This is a cultural generality.
      Last edited by Omnis Dei; 01-19-2012 at 11:09 AM.
      Marvo likes this.

Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.

Xei
      Banned
      Let me guess; it was because of melanin, right?

Melbourne
      DJ Entries
      Diamonds. Some people gots rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      Let me guess; it was because of melanin, right?
      I very much doubt melanin alone contributed.

Is there any evidence of a prosperous pre-colonial africa? While colonialism was immoral, It did anything but harm their properity. It wasn't like sudan was some powerhouse that was destroyed by colonists.
      Last edited by Thatperson; 01-19-2012 at 12:47 PM.

├┼┼┼┼┤
      Equestria
      DJ Entries
      How come every single european nation has prospered yet only a single african nation every propered, that being south africa. What caused this?
      black people are dumb

This is the answer you want, right?

---------
      Lost count of how many lucid dreams I've had
      ---------

Xei
      Banned
      Is there any evidence of a prosperous pre-colonial africa?
      Is there any evidence of a prosperous pre-renaissance Britain?

Texas
      I very much doubt melanin alone contributed.

Is there any evidence of a prosperous pre-colonial africa? While colonialism was immoral, It did anything but harm their properity. It wasn't like sudan was some powerhouse that was destroyed by colonists.
      That really depends on how you define prosperity. I think many people see it as requiring some sort of hegemonic civilization that would make a noticeable blip on the historical radar. My personal view of prosperity is quite different. I think that all prosperity really requires is a healthy community, which can be achieved at the tribal level.

But I suppose you're defining prosperity as rising above tribalism, like that step is an indispensable benchmark for any type of success for a human culture. Is this more or less correct? I think colonialism destroyed African prosperity, but to follow me on this, you have to accept that the African and European definition of prosperity differ.
      Last edited by IndieAnthias; 01-19-2012 at 01:23 PM.

I agree that prosperity does not require one to rise above tribalism, and I should have should a better word than 'prosperous', yes what I did mean was rising above the tribalism benchmark to a civilisation and the technological advancments that come with it.

Xei, there was the bronze age and many other periods, perhaps not a full industrial revolution for quite a while, but a civilisation with technology and economic prosperity yes.

Xei
      Banned
      There wasn't a civilisation, there were isolated groups of tribes with primitive beliefs and technology and frequent skirmishes. The Egyptians were far more advanced, far before.

Texas
      Egypt? you mean the one in Africa?

├┼┼┼┼┤
      Equestria
      DJ Entries
      Egypt is somewhat isolated from what most people perceive as Africa.

---------
      Lost count of how many lucid dreams I've had
      ---------

Xei
      Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by IndieAnthias View Post
      Egypt? you mean the one in Africa?
      Yes, Egypt and the Nile are unequivocally in North-eastern Africa.

Texas
      Quote Originally Posted by Marvo View Post
      Egypt is somewhat isolated from what most people perceive as Africa.
      Sir, certainly you do not mean to suggest that generalizations are ever of limited utility.
      Last edited by IndieAnthias; 01-19-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Well egypt did prosper, but today it has regressed to 2nd world status. Every single european nation is prosperous now, and only South africa comes anywhere near prosperity. The thing is the romans introduced technology to other european areas, and they maintained that technology, the colonialist introduced concepts and technology to africa, yet since the colonialists left it has begun to regress again. Haiti is a perfect example of a colonial territory regressing once the colonialists have left.

Xei
      Banned
      Brown people did the whole civilisation and technology thing first. British people just sat around and sucked for thousands of fucking years. I'm declaring this a win for the brown peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      Brown people did the whole civilisation and technology thing first. British people just sat around and sucked for thousands of fucking years. I'm declaring this a win for the brown peeps.
      British people may have 'sat around and sucked for thousands of fucking years' but eventually all european nations prospered, along with a few non european nations, but africa still to this day hasn't, apart from south africa which is now regressing backwards.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast