• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Dream about/seeing afterlife???

Long story short... So I had a mental breakdown a few years back. Said I could talk to dead people, acted crazy (I'm schizophrenic), etc. Now the dream;

The dream started like this. I could see black/shadowy figures/people. And they were all mumbling. I couldn't hear what they were mumbling though, not a single one. But all of a sudden. I could hear this women crying and talking. Basically pleading/asking why she died, asking for forgiveness. I remember it was like she was talking to me. I just don't remember the words exactly. And then a door shaped, white light appeared. I could see her face and I woke up remembering who it was. You probably heard her song(s). Aaliyah, the deceased R-N-B singer who died in a plane crash.

I like to think to myself. Maybe the voices were her as a ghost. Sort of like haunting me. Since after the original voices, hers popped in my head. So obviously I was thinking of her. But I've googled. And nothing I found was remotely like my dream...

Anyone have a similar dream/experience? Discussion would be appreciated.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      A few
      DJ Entries
      Hey man, people say they have spoken to death people all the time.
      If there's a way of talking with the death dreaming certainly is a possibility. I looked into schizophreny a while ago and it said part of being schizophrenic is that you have dreams while you are awake. So that sums it up nicely.

A lot of tribes all around the world that do spiritual practice claim to gain wisdom from their ancestors trough means of ritual, psychoactive plants and dreaming. This is interesting because these tribes live completely away from society and any other tribes yet most of them report the same common thing.

By the way what i say is not the absolute truth. Just an observation.
      Last edited by Dthoughts; 03-14-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

Seattle, WA
      Well, it's possible that what you experienced was a real, spiritual experience, and it's possible that it's just plain old delusion/illusion/hallucination. The interesting question is, how would you know the difference between the two?

Dreamtime, Bardos
      DJ Entries
      Congratulations! You are on your way to being a psychopomp!

A few year ago my grandfather had a major heart attack. he actually died while at the hospital but they were able to revive him. during this time he said he saw some of his relatives that had past away including his parents. he wasn't able to talk to them but they talked to him. he said they told him how much they missed and loved him. I'm not sure if this was a hallucination or not.
      Live to fish, fish to live!

Florida
      Quote Originally Posted by davej View Post
      A few year ago my grandfather had a major heart attack. he actually died while at the hospital but they were able to revive him. during this time he said he saw some of his relatives that had past away including his parents. he wasn't able to talk to them but they talked to him. he said they told him how much they missed and loved him. I'm not sure if this was a hallucination or not.
      There is no reason to believe it wasn't a hallucination. After all, he was clinically dead; his heart stopped beating, which would rob his brain of oxygen.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      A few
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Nevik View Post
      There is no reason to believe it wasn't a hallucination. After all, he was clinically dead; his heart stopped beating, which would rob his brain of oxygen.
      Let's look into this. If the man was dead for a while and reported being in touch with dead people , isn't what ur saying a reason to believe it wasn't a hallucination?

Florida
      Quote Originally Posted by Dthoughts View Post
      Let's look into this. If the man was dead for a while and reported being in touch with dead people , isn't what ur saying a reason to believe it wasn't a hallucination?
      Lets apply Occam's Razor to this situation. Which is more likely?

A. The man's heart stopped beating and he stopped breathing (meaning he was clinically dead). As a result, his oxygen starved brain hallucinated an encounter with his dead relatives.

or.....

B. The man's soul drifted to some alternate realm where he communicated with the spirits of his dead relatives, only to be pulled back into his body.

Well?

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      A few
      DJ Entries
      In this case its most likely

C. The man's heart stopped beating and he stopped breathing (meaning he was clinically dead). As a result he got to see beyond the veil of death for a moment and then was revived by doctors in an attempt to keep his physical body alive.

But it could very well be B. !

Florida
      Quote Originally Posted by Dthoughts View Post
      In this case its most likely

C. The man's heart stopped beating and he stopped breathing (meaning he was clinically dead). As a result he got to see beyond the veil of death for a moment and then was revived by doctors in an attempt to keep his physical body alive.

But it could very well be B. !
      He saw "beyond the veil of death"? What is beyond the veil of death? Is there empirical evidence that there is anything beyond death? If not then why believe in it? Oh, I know, because he experienced it! We've already addressed personal experiences of the supernatural in the other thread.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      A few
      DJ Entries
      Then again, what if there are ways to experience afterlife but it's just not the kind of thing that can be proven in a labarotory. . Then by ur standard that no evidence means its not there you would have missed out on something big. Because if there's a way for me to see what it's like to be death before i die that would have a huge impact on my life.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

Seattle, WA
      The problem with Occam's razor is, people have different ideas about what the "simplest, most obvious thing" is, because what you would call a "new assumption," they've been assuming all along.

Banned
      I have a hard enough time talking with the living--course, I guess it does not matter if you piss off the quick or dead.

Dreamtime, Bardos
      DJ Entries
      Beyond the veil of Death seems like it means something immaterial. Since science has no way of observing anything immaterial, only the material or the material effects, Science is blind to beyond the realm of death. However, if a significant majority of people who return from being clinically dead all experience the same thing, chances are there is something to it that science had no way of approaching. If these people are all sure beyond a doubt of what they experienced, that it changed their whole life, and gave them peace and freedom of fear of death, and also, if they usually need to divorce their spouses if their spouses are don't believe them, if they reorient their whole life according to this xperience, there might be something to it. The best thing would probably be to admit that "I don't know, there might be something to it. I don't know because I've never had that experience. If there is something to it then I will experience it someday. But for now, I don't know." And give your wife or husband the benefit of the doubt if they have that experience, because by believing them and supporting them after their experience you will be helping them a whole lot, but by not supporting them you will be making it so much more hard for them. Of course, the fact is that Near Death Experience =/= Death.