• 1 Post By Shift

Thread: Fed up of Sleep Paralysis.

The New Achievements:
      1 year registered Referrer Silver Veteran First Class 1000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      LVL 99
      Beersheva

Fed up of Sleep Paralysis.

So I've been getting Sleep paralysis every single night for the last past few weeks. It doesn't seem to matter what time I go to bed, be it late or early, I still manage to fall into it.

It occurs when I'm trying to get to sleep and happens at least 4-6 times until it finally passes and I'm able to fall asleep naturally. I usually wake up from one episode of Sleep Paralysis only to fall again into the next after closing my eyes again and relaxing.

Since I hate Sleep Paralysis and I don't like WILDing, I would rather not allow myself to fall asleep and dream during the Sleep Paralysis and instead would prefer it if it didn't occur altogether.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has similar problems and/or has any advice to stop this.

For some background info: I'm 18, male, an average night has me falling alseep around 1am after reading for an hour and waking up at 7am, I don't usually have trouble falling asleep and I find that I'm able to wake up at any time I want without needing an alarm, I'm not particularly stressed but my mind is always busy, I fall asleep on my sides, either on my stomach or arm.

Bringer of Jollity Fattoxthegreat's Avatar
      Indiana
      I'm sorry this doesn't address your issue, but I have to ask a question. Do you enjoy roller coasters? If so, I can't see why would hate SP, as it can frequently seem like a roller coaster...I enjoy it.
      You give me a point in the 7th dimension, and I'll show a Bigfoot with purple fur baking, with molten air, a cake of cocaine topped with perpetual, flaming icing in an ice kitchen that's part of a hovering ice condominium society that orbits a volcano made of pound cake that spews kittens made of rainbows, consisting of 87 distinct colors, and bananas...

The New Achievements:
      LD Count
      LVL 99
      Beersheva
      Quote Originally Posted by Fattoxthegreat View Post
      I'm sorry this doesn't address your issue, but I have to ask a question. Do you enjoy roller coasters? If so, I can't see why would hate SP, as it can frequently seem like a roller coaster...I enjoy it.
      Because what one person experiences during SP is not the same as what another person experiences.com

Member Achievements:
      Veteran Second Class 1 year registered 1000 Hall Points
      I sympathize with your situation since I was plagued with SP in the mid 90's, sometimes having episodes 4 or 5 times in one night. They were always scary shit - I got of course huge vibrations, crazy sounds, insane laughter, hands grabbing and pulling my legs, and even visuals, thou most nights I'd have my eyes tightly shut in fear. That was before I realized what SP is. Now I am trying like crazy to induce it!

I suspect this phase will end for you at some point on its own, so be patient. At least you know what it is and that it can't hurt you. I know you may not want to hear this, but why not try working with it? Let it flow through you like an ocean wave. It is a most coveted state for those wishing to have an OBE and ultimately might be a great gift for you. When I get it now it is much, much more mellow, gentle even - no crazy voices (still lots of strange sounds though) and the movements my body goes through are actually fun.

For the time being it looks like you'll have to live with it...unless you try to stop sleeping.

Bringer of Jollity Fattoxthegreat's Avatar
      Indiana
      Quote Originally Posted by HyperNova View Post
      Because what one person experiences during SP is not the same as what another person experiences.com
      Yes, I know this. And I'm sorry if I offended you. I just assumed that since all the SP I've ever experienced was always radically different every single time, maybe the same could be true with you, wherein if you were in my shoes, you'd be right at home....

I, only after posting my words, realized that perhaps even being different can be different in the minds and in sleep paralysis...
      You give me a point in the 7th dimension, and I'll show a Bigfoot with purple fur baking, with molten air, a cake of cocaine topped with perpetual, flaming icing in an ice kitchen that's part of a hovering ice condominium society that orbits a volcano made of pound cake that spews kittens made of rainbows, consisting of 87 distinct colors, and bananas...

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by BeenThere View Post
      For the time being it looks like you'll have to live with it...unless you try to stop sleeping.
      Which I've read makes it much, much worse so I wouldn't recommend that

*cough*melatonin!*cough*

Member Achievements:
      Veteran Second Class 1 year registered 1000 Hall Points
      Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
      Which I've read makes it much, much worse so I wouldn't recommend that

*cough*melatonin!*cough*
      Yeah, I was just kidding..."a man's gotta sleep"

The New Achievements:
      LD Count
      LVL 99
      Beersheva
      Meh, it seems that my long sleep-ins of recent have been helping and so far SP has been at bay.
      Last edited by HyperNova; 10-28-2009 at 03:31 AM.

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by BeenThere View Post
      Yeah, I was just kidding..."a man's gotta sleep"
      Well I know HN probably is aware enough to know that, but it's pretty common for people to be afraid to go to sleep (esp when they don't know what SP is) and try to stay up for long periods of time, making it worse

Quote Originally Posted by HyperNova View Post
      Meh, it seems that my long sleepings of recent have been helping and so far SP has been at bay.
      yay, glad to hear that

Abundant Dreamer Bizarre Jester's Avatar
      East Coast
      yea some people find SP to be uncomfortable, it can scare the shit out of people who don't know what it is, and just happened to experience it. Just stay still and don't try to fight it. Focus mentally on your dream. If wilds not for you do mild instead.

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      Shaking my head has never failed to break out of SP.

Credo ut intelligam Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Lucidology 101 has lot's of good points on sleep paralysis, and LD induction. According to the lucidology blog:

Quote Originally Posted by The lucidology blog
      The only way your body knows for sure if your mind is awake is if you move. This is a problem when you’re in 100% sleep paralysis which is preventing you from moving. Luckily paralysis is limited to your voluntary muscle system like your arms and legs. Your breathing is semi-involuntary so you still have control over it even in deep paralysis.

If you enter sleep paralysis and decide you want break free and wake up, simply change your breathing pattern to something other than the sleep breathing pattern your body is in. The most effective way I have found to do this is to begin breathing deeply and slowly.

After 10 or 15 seconds your body will notice the change and bring you out of paralysis. Not many things are 100% reliable in lucid dreaming but this has worked for me every single time.
      Original blog post

Geneva
      Breathing works for me when i want to jerk myself out, it doesn't usually work alone for me, but it helps free up my voluntary muscles to jerk my head to wake up.

UK
      I have seen a TV programme recently where someone suffering from bad SP was prescribed anti-depressants.

From my own experience, on occasions when I've forgotten to take my pills I've experienced a Rem-rebound.
      Last edited by TheWeirdnessSymposium; 11-21-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by TheWeirdnessSymposium View Post
      Some anti-depressants kill REM sleep. You could see a doctor about those.

If you, at a later time, become inclinded towards LDing then stopping the pills for a night or two can give you a big rem-rebound.
      This is ridiculously stupid advice, I recommend that no one screw around with medicines like that.
      Karlitaki likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeirdnessSymposium View Post
      Some anti-depressants kill REM sleep. You could see a doctor about those.

If you, at a later time, become inclinded towards LDing then stopping the pills for a night or two can give you a big rem-rebound.
      Oh man! My dad went to medical school for years. If he saw this post....

Don't listen to this anyone!

I second what Shift said.

UK
      With respect guys, if I've made an error in a post I'm more than happy to have my error pointed out to me in a polite way and be told the facts.

I'll edit my post to make it more a more "my personal experience" point of view rather than look as though I was giving advice.

You can't just advise someone to quit his/her medication like that.

For the sake of a lucid dream?? The effects could be bad, and you can't know everybodies personal health.

Just, don't do it. It's bad business.

Earth
      I'll trade you positions? I cannot get to complete SP for the life of me!
      Spoiler for Lucidity Secrets:

The New Achievements:
      LD Count
      LVL 99
      Beersheva
      Quote Originally Posted by Noogah View Post
      Lucidology 101 has lot's of good points on sleep paralysis, and LD induction. According to the lucidology blog:

Original blog post
      I tried this a couple of nights ago when I had some eps of SP. It worked almost flawelessly.. I don't know whether it was purely psychological or it actually had the affect it was supposed to.. but it seemed to work. It was a little strange adjusting breathing patterns.. feels as though you're forcing your body to do something it doesn't want to.. but it wasn't that bad.

Thank you for that.

No prob. Happy to help!