• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Lucid Dreaming App - Open Beta!

Ev

Lucid Dreaming App - Open Beta!

After furiously coding the app for the past 2 weeks, I'm proud to present the Lucid Dreaming App: The world's first mobile app to try to induce lucid dreaming through actigraphy. I'd like to thank TeaSea for his inspiration, feedback and help with testing the app.

Please give it a try:

It works on Android phones. Here's a brief overview of the principle of operation:

1) You download the app
      2) It calibrates the accelerometer for 15-120 min
      3) You record your voice reminder and store it in SDCard/Recordings folder
      4) You customize how the app will deliver the reminder (how long you have to be asleep for) - roughly corresponds to sleep cycles
      4) Start the app when you go to sleep, put the phone on your mattress
      5) The app monitors your sleep and plays your reminder in REM.
      6) You can mark the dreams/lucid dreams/awakenings using gestures

When the night is over, you get a graph of your sleep cycles, along with your markers. Here's an example from last night - I had insomnia, but it paid off as I had lucid dreams towards the end. Triangles are dreams, squares are lucid dreams. This is real data.

Regular sleep cycles(old layout, no lucid dreams)

And a sleep statistics:

Feedback is greatly appreciated!
      Last edited by Ev; 04-13-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Tagger First Class Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      4 ish a week
      D: I wish this was on ipod!
      From my rotting body,
      flowers shall grow
      and I am in them
      and that is eternity.
      -Edvard Munch

United Kingdom
      This is such a brilliant app, so much potential. Definitely recommend this for people to test
      TeaSea

"No... my avatar isn't changing. You're changing."

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by erible View Post
      D: I wish this was on ipod!
      There is a lucid dream app from the "unexplainable store" but it costs 9.00$.

LD Count
      Baltimore
      Very cool. Will definitely download once I get my Droid phone this week.

Member Achievements:
      5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

Looks amazing. Got my download!

Lurker
      DJ Entries
      Does not work on my desire HD. When i try to start it i get an error message and it closes down

LD Count
      not enough
      United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Please please I beg of you... Can this app be developed for iPhone?? It's exactly what I have been looking for
      When the Knock of the Spirit sounds we follow or perish ~ Don Juan Matus

Member Achievements:
      5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

Quote Originally Posted by sendude View Post
      Does not work on my desire HD. When i try to start it i get an error message and it closes down
      Works fine on my HTC Inspire, the att equiv of the DHD...what ROM are you running?

Lurker
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by berryman13 View Post
      Works fine on my HTC Inspire, the att equiv of the DHD...what ROM are you running?
      I have no idea actually. Bought it in sweden right before christmas and haven't changed anything in the rom on purpose since then.

Ev
      About the app - I'm a Java Developer, from what I understand, IPhone runs some other OS, and it's not as easy to develop for an iPhone I intend to make the app open source community project once it picks up a bit more momentum. Then someone would be able to port it to Iphone. That's a few months away. I waited for 5 years to get a development medium as flexible as Android.

One thing is for sure - the app will keep getting better and better. The next big update is going to happen on May 1st, or so and will include an exciting smart timer feature based on this discovery . With the current simulations the app is able to detect REM 10 minutes before I wake up and record a dream. This is a good window to fine tune the reminder delivery time.

About the crash - I got another report of the same issue on HTC desire. Yet the only bug report that i got from Android Market that looks similar was dated April 23rd. I fixed that, and the fix is coming with next update. Android market had some serious issues with updating their statistics in the past few days, so chances are it did not capture your crash report. Would you please run the app 3 more times, so the market would be able to capture the bug report?

[Update] I got a couple more reports about this crash from the Android Market. Thank you if you persisted in running the app The good news is that this is the same bug that I saw on the 23rd, and I fixed it for the upcoming update.

I use HTC HD2 with HTC desire image(SuperRam Froyo ver 1.7 Android 2.2.1) it works great. HTC Desire runs Android 2.2 stock. If you go to your phone's preferences and find "about phone", you will be able to see your Android OS version.
      Last edited by Ev; 04-28-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Ev
      Since I cannot edit either of my posts after 1440 minutes, I have to add a new one. Behold the prettiness of the lucid dreaming app (graphics courtesy of Fabio Leone) !
      [/URL]

sleep history feature - you can see time in bed, total restful sleep duration and awakening time. Useful for noticing insomnia and other factors reducing sleep quality. Upon reaching a certain number of restful sleep minutes you may wake up naturally. I certainly do: all awakenings here are natural.

History of dreams to help estimate REM episodes. This busy graph shows suspected REM episodes (red line segments) because there's a history of dream events ocuring a few minutes after that time. Red and Yellow Xs show when the app would've played a reminder on that day with current settings.

Here's a list that I use to estimate REM. It is the foundation of the app's smart timer feature. This timer automatically adjusts itself to play sound in the next REM cycle, even if you got up and went to the bathroom or wrote in a dream journal.

The app delivers reminders very close to dreams or causing awakening from REM, resulting in dream recall. Here I report 3 dreams, 1 lucid dream and remember 2 more dreams.

The prettiness continues with a clock with customizeable colors(available in the next update), it also supports gestures for ease of interaction

Finally there's a "cognition enhancement" tool, my hypothesis that doing some activity with digital clock may help increase cognitive abilities in dreams . This feature is currently under testing and will be available in the next release
      TeaSea and Wolf2 like this.

What it says on the tin.. Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class
      UK
      DJ Entries
      Great. Thanks. OSS + Android + skill + creativity =

I have been using this on my Motorola Dext (2.1.5) and it works great when I am in bed by myself, but my partner is a very light sleeper.

I was hoping it would be versatile enough for me to set it up to use in a shared bed - I think it could be done by putting it close to your pillow in flight mode and adjusting the prefs over time. My partner, she moves a LOT in her sleep though (I have discovered thanks to this app) so I may have to be happy with the timer settings.

Maybe if I strap it to my face.......

Still, love the app.

One thing that would be great is a way of setting and configuring more than 1 audio reminder possibly even randomly pick from files in a folder - I find that "you are asleep", "this is a dream", and "do a reality check now" are three that work well, but they need to be varied or they stop working.

Thanks again.

Mop,
      "Just as there is room in the sky for a thunderstorm, so there is room in the vast space of our mind for a few painful feelings. And just as a storm has no power to destroy the sky, unpleasant feelings have no power to destroy our mind." - Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

The First Lightbender Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      I love how the "2" in the binary acts as a dream sign and wakes up the droid! Very cool.
      zhineTech and XxNamExX like this.

Ev
      Hey, thanks for loving the app

Major body movements by a partner are indeed a big problem in Actigraphy! There's simply no way to easily cancel them out, because they are ...well... major!

You can still use the app to mark your dreams and use that information to configure the Smart Timer.
      By the way, does your partner mind the reminders?

Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      What IDE did you use to write it?

Ev
      It's written in Eclipse Helios Enterprise using Android SDK.

By the way, I'll be adding WBTB feature soon. The user would be able to set the app to awaken the user before predicted REM episode, and show a list of lucid dreaming related articles, videos or audio files. To wake up the user, the phone may play a reminder or vibrate every minute until the user is awake enough to do WBTB.

I'm also adding a WILD feature - a set of custom timers you can use to set the phone to play reminders at certain intervals, like 4,8, etc minutes. This will be a one gesture action - draw the WILD gesture to start the timer sequence, draw the gesture again to stop it if you want to sleep. There's a google api that does morse code with vibration, it sounds very distinct, I wander what it does for the dreaming, or if is enough to wake the person up.

Up until now, my WILDs required quite a lot of time, because they were performed after awakening from a dream or due to a bathroom break, etc. Maybe waking up before REM episode and using fairly long timers (ex: 8,8,16 minutes) would keep the induction time short enough for me to try WILDing again.
      Last edited by Ev; 05-06-2011 at 05:00 AM.

Thanks! I am getting started on Android and just download Eclipse and NetBeans and IntelliJ - will see which one works best for me.

Those features sound very promising - I think you will trigger the most lucids with the WILD feature!

What it says on the tin.. Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class
      UK
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Ev View Post
      Hey, thanks for loving the app

Major body movements by a partner are indeed a big problem in Actigraphy! There's simply no way to easily cancel them out, because they are ...well... major!

You can still use the app to mark your dreams and use that information to configure the Smart Timer.
      By the way, does your partner mind the reminders?
      The app is excellent enough at collecting and presenting data that I can use the information to customize timed alerts. I am still learning how best to make use of the information.
      I use recorded audio alerts through in-ear headphones (earbuds?) so my partner is not bothered.
      The ability to be able to choose which audio reminder to use, depending on something simple like nth reminder or nth awakening, or nth hour asleep would really make this app for me.
      I used to use an audio track that I put together with cues and binaurals and state-inducing ambient sounds that worked for me - If only I had had access to this app then it would have taken much less trial and error to produce it.
      As it is - even if the ability to have more configurable audio cues is not implemented I will be able to use the data from this app to make a much better track.

Thanks again.
      "Just as there is room in the sky for a thunderstorm, so there is room in the vast space of our mind for a few painful feelings. And just as a storm has no power to destroy the sky, unpleasant feelings have no power to destroy our mind." - Geshe Kelsang Gyatso

LD Count
      WA State
      I tried this app last night. I use a Samsung Moment (M900). I opened up the data screen to see results this morning, I caught a glimpse of it, but then it completely turned off my phone and rebooted it. I lost all data from the night. Is there something I should know?

New Zealand
      Right so finally used this app for the first time last night. Firstly great app and thanks for making it!

Was woken up at about 3am by a pretty huge aftershock (Christchurch, NZ so not that uncommon atm) and checked it and it was working fine. Went back to sleep, woke up again at 9 and it said it had stopped responding (ideos 8510). But luckily it had saved the data up until just after 4am so it was interesting to see the quake on it (awake graph pretty much hit the bottom).

Now I do have a couple questions

1) None of my voice reminders played? I had it set up, turned on etc. Do I need to configure smart timer? IF so how do I do that because it didn't make much sense to me.

2) What causes the lucid dream part of the graph to move? Twice it had jumped a little but I didn't have any lucid dreams.

3) Can you turn the screen off (ie lock the phone) when you start the app, or do you need to leave it on all night?

4) I'm still not 100% sure how to read the graph, but are the "blocks" (rectangles, light blue I think?) the REM periods? So each block is a REM period, is that right?

Other than oddly having a couple of short dreams about the app (lol?) and it sadly crashing (wifi wasn't on, so couldn't send a report sorry) and the voice reminders not playing, it seems great. Was skeptical that it would actually work, but there must be some serious science behind it. Though I did have to wonder how accurate it was when I woke up lying on where I had my phone and seeing my phone down the bed head haha.

Please keep up the good work

Ev
      Thank you for the feedback guys! I know the app is not what it should be right now. I'm still learning how to develop apps, and Android has quite a few quirks that I have to get used to. One thing is certain - I want this app to work just as much as you guys do!

The next update will attempt to separate the app into many small activities, which should provide better performance for slower phones. Additionally, I'm moving data collection to separate service, so it may be able to run in the background. It doesn't want to do so reliably on my development phone yet.

One thing that still has to be solved is the phone compatibility. Some phones deliver accelerometer events in a different way, something that I cannot replicate easily on my development phone. This is why some people have trouble calibrating the app. Resolving this issue will require me to touch the very core of the app, and I don't really have a timeframe on when this may be fixed :/

@madeofparts : Multiple reminders - thank you for this great idea! I was thinking of how to implement WBTB, and this really helped. I'll add wake up behaviors to the REM events - wake up before(WBTB), wake up after movement(DEILD/DILD) or wake up at the end (for dream recall). Additionally, I'll add a custom reminder for each REM event. This way, if you want to hear something different, you can. This feature will be available in the next update within a few days.

@317 : The app should automatically save data every 10 minutes to SDCard. If the app did save data, you should be able to press the menu hard button on the splash screen (2 androids talking) to bring up the menu. From that menu, pick "view data", then "load graph". Here are the screenshots Lucid Dreaming App Feature Quick Reference » Lucid Dreaming App . If your data was not saved, the app has a built-in sample graph. Can you see the sample graph?

@Wolf2 1) I have to re-install app for testing several times, and this point also trips me. By default, none of the Smart Timer REM events are turned on. If you touch them on the configure smart timer screen, they become active. I just noticed that the detailed instruction page on how to customize the smart timer is broken. I've restored it, here's some info on how to configure the smart timer: Configure Smart Timer » Lucid Dreaming App . Did this help? If so, maybe I should change to enable all of them by default. If this did not help, do you hear the sound if you press "play current reminder" from the preferences menu?

2) There's a red line on the graph, this is the sleep score, it gets higher when more activity is detected. When sleep score is greater than 1, the user is considered awake. Lucid dreams are entered manually using the "lucid dream" gesture (default - 5pointed star). Lucid dreams are displayed as red squares, normal dreams as teal triangles. The graph only has shades of 5 colors by default, other colors I have to add manually. I'll add other colors for user events in the future.

3) I'm working on this now by rewriting the data collection to take place as a background service. In theory this should enable the screen to be turned off, while the app still works. This requires a few design changes, and will likely be the next big update.

4) Each blue block is a period when the user is asleep, because there's no movement detected. It could be any sleep stage, although longer light blue blocks may indicate deeper sleep. REM sleep is most likely towards the end of the blue block, before a user reports a dream.

Those of you experiencing crashes after several hours, do you use a custom ROM on your phone? I do, and it helps if I reboot the phone before starting the app for the night.

I'm also working on making data processing less resource intensive, especially for slower devices.

The app is also being translated to Italian!
      Last edited by Ev; 05-10-2011 at 05:27 AM.
      Wolf2 likes this.

New Zealand
      Right since you seem so helpful (thank you for your answers) I'm definitely going to help you as much as I can.

I do have a custom ROM and I will try rebooting the phone before starting tonight.

The Smart Timer makes more sense now. I did go into it and make the default active after I made that post. Now this might just be me being extremely lazy (either way I don't have a complete graph of my sleep yet anyway) but is there a way for the app to take one of your graphs and interpret the best times for the smart timer? I'll try it with the default until like I said I have a full graph to put my own numbers in, but just an idea. And yes I can hear my recording if I press the play recording button. Although that suggested recording programme didn't work on my phone so I had to record on pc and transfer to phone.

And I must've read the graph wrong, the line along the bottom is the sleep score, not the lucid dream (my mistake). Also seeing as the graph is hard to read on my phone without zooming a heap and then scrolling, is there an easy way to send them to email/pc? I notice you have screenshots of yours or at least the one in your last post but I don't have the software for that. I know they are saved so I could probably just take them off the SD card.

And I remember seeing a "send data anonymously" note somewhere, how do I do that? I'd be happy to supply my graphs if it'll help (I'll try to remember to post my first full graph when I get it)

Also, having that clock displayed (due in next update?) when the app is working would make up for not being able to turn the screen off imo (or at least in the meantime).

Either way, and especially for a beta, this is one amazing app and I look forward to the next update(s) but I know for sure I will continue using it each night. Anything I (we?) can do to help just say.
      Last edited by Wolf2; 05-10-2011 at 05:56 AM.

Ev
      It's great to hear such supportive words

The Smart Timer is not smart enough to analyze data automatically, maybe when I have more data I would be able to find a way to do this. Right now there are just too many randomness to take into account. Here's how it works right now: How Smart Timer Works » Lucid Dreaming App

The graph data is saved as data only form. The built-in web page on the phone displays that data. The good part is that it is possible to create the same kind of webpage to display data on the computer. However, my knowledge of PHP is not enough to do this right now, even though it should be very easy for someone with PHP knowledge. There's like 20 lines of code that have to be changed. A file has to be uploaded and its contents passed to a javascript enabled page. After that you should be able to view your graphs through the website, they would support larger screens and even have real zooming mode (with axis scaling).

You can send data to bugreport at luciddreamingapp.com . The option to upload data anonymously is not active right now. The analysis screen still mentions it.

[Update] The current Android firmware stops accelerometer when the screen is powered off. I got the app running in the background, but it does not receive any accelerometer data. Apparently there are workarounds for select phones, but it is not universal. So the best option right now is to use the clock screen.

LD Count
      WA State
      EV,

Thank you for your response. It seem it was my fault. I had 2 additional questions for you if you'd be so kind.

1.) Is there a way to transfer the data to a windows OS in it's complete format as shown on the phone ie: table with graph/legend? I always though gzip was a linux compression engine, and when decompressed it would output text. Is that right?

2.) When I load graph, it says "File selection cancelled" though I am still able to select my data files in the "Select file" screen. Is this something I should be worried about or an error that would affect data collection at all?

Thanks again, please add Samsung Moment (M900) to your confirmed device support list, works great so far!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast