• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Sleep Paralysis Demystified

The i's are invisible. Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries

Sleep Paralysis Demystified

De-Orientaton
      If you’re like most DVers, you’ve probably read about a little condition called “SP.” You know: that thing that has something to do with flashing lights, crazy hallucinations, and not being able to move.

You probably know it happens to people every night as they're falling asleep and ten-odd other factoids.

Well, for the remainder of this guide, I need you to forget everything you think you know about “SP.”

Why?

Because most of that “knowledge” is either wrong or misconstrued. Harsh, but the truth hurts sometimes.

Most everything you’ve read is rhetoric passed down from LDer to LDer in a nice long game of telephone. And just like any game of telephone, things got muddled up along the way. Lucky for you, I’m here to help you wade through all the muck and make you understand what these sensations are all about.

So. . . with all that in mind, let’s start fresh.

Sleep Paralysis

What is sleep paralysis?
      The term sleep paralysis is used to describe a condition wherein a person is conscious during REM atonia.

Typical symptoms include full body paralysis, a sense of dread/fear, and flashing lights.

About a quarter of the world’s population has experienced sleep paralysis at least once in their lives. A much smaller percent suffers from chronic episodes.

When does sleep paralysis occur?
      Barring abnormalities, sleep paralysis occurs only during the REM phase of sleep.

As such, during a normal WILD attempt, you will not experience sleep paralysis. This is because REM atonia--a fancy way of referring to full-body paralysis during REM--only triggers after REM has begun. By that point, a dream will have already formed and you’ll have lost consciousness.

Why does sleep paralysis occur?
      As the REM stage begins, a certain set of neurotransmitters stop being released. As a result, the motor neurons cease passing along messages and you end up with full-body paralysis. This is pretty handy from an evolutionary standpoint, as it prevents you from acting out your dreams and potentially killing yourself.

That explains the REM atonia aspect. Unfortunately, I’m not entirely up to speed on causes for the flashing lights and sense of danger. If I had to hypothesize, I’d guess it has something to do with the reactivation or reduced function of certain areas of the brain. Particularly those responsible for base emotions like fear and 'higher' functions like vision.

The amygdala, for instance, shows decreased activity during sleep (according to various studies).

In contrast, the occipital lobes reveal drastically increased activity during REM.

Or you could throw all that science out the window and explain it with witchcraft or demonic possession like they did in the good ol' days. I won’t judge.

NREM Sleep ~ a.k.a. Lifting the Fog

If sleep paralysis doesn’t occur when WILDing, how do you account for all the strange experiences people report during WILD attempts?
      I wrote up a decent breakdown of a typical WILD progression. It’s a brief reference that details the stages of sleep and associates each with specific sensations.

Read over it to get a better understanding of how a WILD works and what conscious experiences you can expect.

If that’s the case, what’s a good replacement for the commonly used (and inherently confusing) term “SP”?
      Notice every sensation (HH, vibrations, sensory deprivation, etc.) except full-body paralysis occurs during NREM sleep.

As such, when you see folks “trying to reach SP”--and they make a big deal out of seeing HH or vibrations--it’s more accurate to say they are “trying to reach [or pass through] NREM.”

Therefore, “NREM” is an excellent alternative to the commonly used term “SP.” And I implore you to use it and spread the word to those still holing onto the old terminology.

Conclusion

It can be confusing trying to wrap your head around these ideas. If you’re already ingrained in the incorrect way of thinking about sleep paralysis and NREM, that makes it even harder.

Hopefully this guide has helped clear away the fog for you, but If you have any outstanding questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers.
      Last edited by Mzzkc; 05-04-2012 at 04:07 PM.

DJ Entries
      Ah, thanks for the clarification.

This might be a bit off-topic, but do you also know anything about NREM-dreams?
      Last edited by Sandyman; 05-03-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Veteran First Class
      Argentina
      DJ Entries
      It's nice to have this concept clarified. I sensed some things weird about this in many explanations people said. For example: a guy said that in order to achieve WILD we had to pass the NREM stage being conscious. In order to do that you have to lower your consciousness to the minimum and be totally relaxed and you will feel sleep paralysis. However in another site I read that during NREM stage people may experience sleepwalk since the body is doesn't paralyses, and if you think for a moment that is completely truth. Therefore that guy is wrong, which I realized and made my head to puzzle. But now you came with that explanation and clarified all. Thanks
      Last edited by Lichi; 05-04-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Lucid Elder God Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      non-Euclidean
      DJ Entries
      Thank you so much for trying to clear up the misconceptions surrounding WILD, this should be stickied at the very least.

For myself, I have never experienced 'SP' during WILD attempts, and I experience other symptoms that most DVers would associate with 'SP' very early on, things like illogical thoughts and dream imagery, while I rarely experience hypnagogic phosphenes and have never felt vibrations. People need to realise that everyone is different and there's no right way to WILD.
      My Lucid Dreaming Articles/Tutorials:
      Mindfulness - An Alternative Approach to ADA
      Intent in Lucid Dreaming; Break that Dry-Spell, Escape the Technique Rut

Always, no sometimes think it's me,
      But you know I know when it's a dream
      I think I know I mean a yes
      But it's all wrong
      That is I think I disagree

-John Lennon

Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      Thanks for the support guys. Glad you could appreciate the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyman View Post
      Ah, thanks for the clarification.

This might be a bit off-topic, but do you also know anything about NREM-dreams?
      No worries.

Dreams can happen during any stage of sleep, but I'm not sure on the actual distribution. NREM dreams tend to be less vivid than REM dreams, tending more toward the abstract.

They can pop up during WILDs and have the propensity for transitioning into REM dreams, so you might not even realize you've had one.

I haven't done a ton of research on NREM dreams outside of what's commonly known, so I'm not the best person to ask about those. But hopefully that helped a bit.

LD Count
      Småland
      Quote Originally Posted by Mzzkc View Post
      Barring abnormalities, sleep paralysis occurs only during the REM phase of sleep.

As such, during a normal WILD attempt, you will not experience sleep paralysis. This is because REM atonia--a fancy way of referring to full-body paralysis during REM--only triggers after REM has begun. By that point, a dream will have already formed and you’ll have lost consciousness.
      Maybe I am an abnormality, but according to my experiences with SP and WILDing, this is not true. I am definitely experiencing sleep paralysis right before I transition into WILDs. At first, I start to feel minor vibrations, without paralysis. These vibrations quickly intensify and become very strong, and at this point I am completely unable to move. This is without doubt SP, as I am aware during REM atonia. It then takes a few seconds for a dream to form, and I do not lose consciousness while in REM sleep until this happens.
      TheUncanny likes this.
      ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ WILD: 25 ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ DILD: 6 ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

LD Count
      Tons
      Bay Area, California
      DJ Entries
      during a normal WILD attempt, you will not experience sleep paralysis. This is because REM atonia--a fancy way of referring to full-body paralysis during REM--only triggers after REM has begun. By that point, a dream will have already formed and you’ll have lost consciousness.
      I think you are overlooking something crucial. When we WILD, we are intentionally maintaining awareness. In normal sleep, you will have lost consciousness by the time REM atonia happens. During WILD, you maintain awareness and consciousness through all stages of sleep, until a dream occurs. In cases where the dream starts in REM, you will experience sleep paralysis. It is abnormal, but that is the whole point of WILD. Since most vivid dreams happen during REM sleep, it makes sense that many people report experiencing sleep paralysis during the last stages of WILD.

REM and dreaming are not always synched up exactly. When REM hits before a dream begins, you may experience sleep paralysis. When you become overly aware of your body while already in a dream, you may bounce out into sleep paralysis.
      Last edited by Robot_Butler; 05-04-2012 at 07:44 PM.

high mileage oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King Populated Wall Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      40 + Yrs' Worth
      Here & Now
      Quote Originally Posted by OneiroMoon View Post
      Maybe I am an abnormality, but according to my experiences with SP and WILDing, this is not true. I am definitely experiencing sleep paralysis right before I transition into WILDs. At first, I start to feel minor vibrations, without paralysis. These vibrations quickly intensify and become very strong, and at this point I am completely unable to move. This is without doubt SP, as I am aware during REM atonia. It then takes a few seconds for a dream to form, and I do not lose consciousness while in REM sleep until this happens.
      Except that you're not "transitioning into WILDs." WILD is the action of initiating a LD. It is the entire thing you're doing, and has transitions within it, and not the other way around. If done correctly, you likely began your WILD long before you lay down, and certainly not long after. Semantics, maybe, but I think that might clarify why you're witnessing SP as your body physically succumbs to sleep. Also, as you progress through the stages you'll feel changes, but once in REM you're dreaming, and you should not notice REM atonia -- in REM your consciousness is no longer paying attention to the state of your physical body.
      Last edited by Sageous; 05-04-2012 at 08:11 PM.
      Ctharlhie likes this.

Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      non-Euclidean
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Sageous View Post
      Except that you're not "transitioning into WILDs." WILD is the action of initiating a LD. It is the entire thing you're doing, and has transitions within it, and not the other way around. If done correctly, you likely began your WILD long before you lay down, and certainly not long after. Semantics, maybe, but I think that might clarify why you're witnessing SP as your body physically succumbs to sleep. Also, as you progress through the stages you'll feel changes, but once in REM you're dreaming, and you should not notice REM atonia -- in REM your consciousness is no longer paying attention to the state of your physical body.
      I would even venture to guess that you begin dissociating from your body a while before REM. It's weird, I can lie down for an afternoon nap, lay drifting for say 20 minutes and experience all sort of hypnagogic sensations, including phosphene imagery, mind eye imagery, dream imagery, dissociation from my body and shutting off of external stimuli, and yet get up and feel basically awake.
      I don't even know where I am with WILD anymore.

But it's all wrong

-John Lennon

LD Count
      Småland
      Except that you're not "transitioning into WILDs." WILD is the action of initiating a LD. It is the entire thing you're doing, and has transitions within it, and not the other way around. If done correctly, you likely began your WILD long before you lay down, and certainly not long after. Semantics, maybe, but I think that might clarify why you're witnessing SP as your body physically succumbs to sleep.
      By "WILDs", I was referring to Wake Induced Lucid Dreams, i.e a type of lucid dreams. You can transition into a (Wake Induced) Lucid Dream. If you read my post carefully, you can see that I am describing the process of having a WILD as "WILDing".

Also, as you progress through the stages you'll feel changes, but once in REM you're dreaming, and you should not notice REM atonia -- in REM your consciousness is no longer paying attention to the state of your physical body.
      Read Robot_Butler's post. He too states that you can be in REM without immediately starting to dream, and that is the explanation to why I am experiencing sleep paralysis when I WILD.

I can certainly be paying attention to my body when I am in REM sleep/REM atonia, but it will stop me from transitioning. Therefore, it is entirely my own decision to redirect my attention away from my physical body.

Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King Populated Wall Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      40 + Yrs' Worth
      Here & Now
      By "WILDs", I was referring to Wake Induced Lucid Dreams, i.e a type of lucid dreams. You can transition into a (Wake Induced) Lucid Dream. If you read my post carefully, you can see that I am describing the process of having a WILD as "WILDing".
      Actually, the term is Wake Initiated Lucid Dreams, as coined by LaBerge, which is a technique for becoming lucid, and not the LD itself (though dreams resulting from WILD can differ from dreams resulting from, say DILD) . I too was talking about WILDing. And yes, I read your post as carefully as I could. If you are WILDing into an LD, it should be occupying all of your time, and is not a thing to which you transition.

Read Robot_Butler's post. He too states that you can be in REM without immediately starting to dream, and that is the explanation to why I am experiencing sleep paralysis when I WILD.

I can certainly be paying attention to my body when I am in REM sleep/REM atonia, but it will stop me from transitioning. Therefore, it is entirely my own decision to redirect my attention away from my physical body.
      Well, if Robot_Butler said it, it must be true! Seriously, though, keep in mind that REM stands for Rapid Eye Movement, and that movement is caused by your eyes' following the action of a dream. If you're experiencing REM before your dream, why are your eyes moving? And if you can pay attention to your body during REM state, then you are a unique individual indeed! Aside from "dreaming" of bathrooms when you have to pee or something similar, the connection between you and your sleeping body is nonexistant...normally.
      Last edited by Sageous; 05-04-2012 at 11:43 PM.

LD Count
      Tons
      Bay Area, California
      DJ Entries
      in REM your consciousness is no longer paying attention to the state of your physical body.
      Hopefully.... but not always. I can often still feel my body, even in vivid lucid dreams. When I take galantamine/choline, it is especially aggravating. From what I've heard from countless other people, this seems to be fairly common.

If you're experiencing REM before your dream, why are your eyes moving?
      Good example Tons of beginners report problems during the final stages of WILD because their eyes start moving as they enter REM. There must be two posts a week asking how to keep your eyes closed during WILD.

I agree that if you do everything correctly, your consciousness should be completely removed from your body by the time you hit REM. I'm just pointing out that it is not always the case. Most beginners do not do everything correctly. I don't like guides that encourage; "Don't move, and wait for sleep paralysis," either. I think sleep paralysis is a red herring. Worse, I think it makes WILD more difficult. We should be doing everything we can to avoid it. The smoothest transitions are those where we never notice any of the physical changes in our bodies.

It has always been a difficult subject. We want to give good advice (Don't focus on your body), but we also have to troubleshoot individuals who are confused by the symptoms of sleep paralysis. Too many squeaky wheels

While the "correct" way to WILD is to direct your attention away from your body, it is not the only way. Sleep paralysis is a commonly reported problem during WILD, and it would be silly to ignore it, or pretend it does not exist.
      Last edited by Robot_Butler; 05-05-2012 at 12:51 AM.
      TheUncanny, Mzzkc, Sageous and 1 others like this.

LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      @OneiroMoon & RobotButler:

You guys are right in your assertion that it's possible to experience sleep paralysis before a dream forms (there's a small number of reported cases). It's not the norm/average (hence the qualifier in the OP), but it can happen.

However, for the purposes of this guide, I wanted to make the differences between sleep paralysis and NREM experiences as distinct as possible. You're probably both well aware that most of the DV population lumps vibrations, hypnic jerks, and N1 stage HH into the "SP" terminology. They then wrongly postulate that fully body paralysis is the norm when WILDing.

What follows is hours of wasted effort trying to hit that elusive state of "SP" with its hundreds [sic] of crazy side-effects, when really they should be focusing on passing through multiple states of consciousness, i.e. NREM sleep.

These are dreams and wetware we're dealing with, so admittedly things aren't cut and dry. But we shouldn't force ambiguity on people who are trying to learn a subject for practical purposes.

I do appreciate the deeper discussion going on here, and I hope to address some specific points soon, but this was intended as a simple, clear guide for beginners and people who are unaware that intense fear, paralysis, and alien probing aren't the norm when WILDing.

_______

As an aside: I'm not convinced that reports of eye movements and having difficulty shutting the eyes can be linked to REM states. I've had those issues before and they don't tend to pop up anywhere near the REM state. What's more, I can usually trace them back to something self induced.

_______

Quote Originally Posted by RobotButler
      Sleep paralysis is a commonly reported problem during WILD, and it would be silly to ignore it, or pretend it does not exist.
      Not really. In all the years I've been here, and the hundreds of "SP threads" I've looked into, only a handful of them dealt with sleep paralysis. The large majority were people confused about why they could move, that they felt numbness and tingling, and a myriad of other issues that had absolutely nothing to do with sleep paralysis.

I constantly find myself trying to teach people the difference between "HOLY SHIT I CANNOT MOVE AND THERE ARE STROBE DEMONS EATING MY FEET!" and "Suddenly my body is vibrating all crazy-like and my senses are going super fuzzy. Oh look! Dream imagery!"

Hence why I put this thread together.

I don't write guides just for the sake of it; I write them to address common misconceptions or to teach something new that there isn't much/any reference material for.

A good friend of mine suffers from sleep paralysis regularly, and I've had a bought of it myself. It's a terrifying, intense experience, even if you know what's going on. Once you have first hand experience with full-blown sleep paralysis, it's trivial to pick out the difference between that and the common WILD experience.

_______

Quote Originally Posted by RobotButler
      Hopefully.... but not always. I can often still feel my body, even in vivid lucid dreams. When I take galantamine/choline, it is especially aggravating. From what I've heard from countless other people, this seems to be fairly common.
      I actually wanted to touch on this in the OP, but felt it might be somewhat extraneous. There are tons of reports out there of people being unable to move after they complete the transition and having difficulty breaking out of that. Those experiences alone are excellent examples of being intrinsically aware of the body's state while dreaming.

Plus they tie into the whole REM atonia discussion, and the fine-line between the onset of paralysis and dream formation.
      Last edited by Mzzkc; 05-05-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class

The times I've tried to wild on a nap I've been fully concious when the sp has hitten me and I didn't enter a dream.. Which means I did enter rem from reality-conciousness. My eyes started to move around like crazy and I felt, yea all these other SP characteristic feelings(though without any HH,HI)
      But as soon as my eyes started to move around uncontrollably I ofc snapped out of the state.

Existential Hero Achievements:
      25000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Huge Dream Journal Populated Wall Veteran First Class Referrer Gold
      <span class='glow_008000'>Linkzelda</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      210+
      Texas
      DJ Entries
      Bookmarked this, now I have more stuff to telephone in the Newbies thread when I'm bored and want to help .

Thanks for the effort you put into this, Mzzkc.

LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by daban View Post
      The times I've tried to wild on a nap I've been fully concious when the sp has hitten me and I didn't enter a dream.. Which means I did enter rem from reality-conciousness. My eyes started to move around like crazy and I felt, yea all these other SP characteristic feelings(though without any HH,HI)
      But as soon as my eyes started to move around uncontrollably I ofc snapped out of the state.
      Was it the most, or one of the most, terrifying experiences of your life?

'Cause if not, then it probably wasn't sleep paralysis. Especially if there was a lack of open-eyed HH/HI.

People need to keep in mind, when sleep paralysis hits, there isn't any snapping out of it. Your motor neurons aren't sending messages and you will not be able to move anything except your eyes. Diagnosing your experience as SP when it didn't involve extreme fear and intense hallucinations is really stretching it, since that's part of the broader definition.

This rapid eye movement thing is also a bit of a misnomer, as studies done on sleep paralysis show victims have full control of their eyes and eyelids. Really, the only way you can say for sure you were in a REM state is if you're hooked up to an EEG when those "involuntary" eye movements start to happen.
      Last edited by Mzzkc; 05-05-2012 at 09:42 PM.

LD Count
      Småland
      Mzzkc, I now understand what you mean. I thought that most people experience SP when WILDing, but it seems to be the other way around. From now on, I will tell people not to think about SP, as it is not always needed in order to WILD.

---------------------------------------------

Sageous, this is my last reply to our discussion.

Actually, the term is Wake Initiated Lucid Dreams, as coined by LaBerge, which is a technique for becoming lucid, and not the LD itself (though dreams resulting from WILD can differ from dreams resulting from, say DILD) . I too was talking about WILDing. And yes, I read your post as carefully as I could. If you are WILDing into an LD, it should be occupying all of your time, and is not a thing to which you transition.
      Sorry, I have seen both "Induced" and "Initiated" being used, so I assumed that both were correct. Though, I will continue to use "WILD" as a noun when I decide it is needed.

Well, if Robot_Butler said it, it must be true! Seriously, though, keep in mind that REM stands for Rapid Eye Movement, and that movement is caused by your eyes' following the action of a dream. If you're experiencing REM before your dream, why are your eyes moving? And if you can pay attention to your body during REM state, then you are a unique individual indeed! Aside from "dreaming" of bathrooms when you have to pee or something similar, the connection between you and your sleeping body is nonexistant...normally.
      I referred to his post, because he described what I meant much better than I did. Again, you can be in REM sleep without being dreaming. You are aware while in REM atonia, and this state is called sleep paralysis (which is hard not paying attention to). I already know what REM stands for, and why the eyes move during dreams. The REM sleep phase may be named after the eye movements that occur when dreaming, but that does not mean that you must be dreaming in order to be in REM sleep.

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class

'Cause if not, then it probably wasn't sleep paralysis. Especially if there was a lack of open-eyed HH/HI.

People need to keep in mind, when sleep paralysis hits, there isn't any snapping out of it. Your motor neurons aren't sending messages and you will not be able to move anything except your eyes. Diagnosing your experience as SP when it didn't involve extreme fear and intense hallucinations is really stretching it, since that's part of the broader definition.

This rapid eye movement thing is also a bit of a misnomer, as studies done on sleep paralysis show victims have full control of their eyes and eyelids. Really, the only way you can say for sure you were in a REM state is if you're hooked up to an EEG when those "involuntary" eye movements start to happen.
      Yea, ok I guess.
      No it wasn't so scary at all actually. Also I have been in real SP(waking up inside it) but it was before I knew anything about lucid dreaming or sleep paralysis. It was indeed the scariest thing that ever happened to me, I will not forget that night And what I explained to you that I got was not like it at all. But it's weird that I get these "involuntary" eye movements. It's like entering REM without sleep paralysis But I guess thats not possible. So I really don't know whats causing the vibrations+...Rapid eye movements.

LD Count
      40 + Yrs' Worth
      Here & Now

Sageous, this is my last reply to our discussion.
      Sorry I annoyed you, Oneiromoon; it was not intended. I guess I was being a bit snarky, and that wasn't fair. Or nice. I'll be more careful next time, should I find you in a different conversation I hope you'll be willing to discuss other things with me in the future.

I'm done with this thread anyway, as Mzzkc has a much better handle on this stuff than I do.
      gab likes this.

DJ Entries
      I feel like there is a lot of misinformation in this thread and I flat out disagree with some of the things being proclaimed here, but I'm too tired at the moment to attempt to clear any of it up. I'll try to come back later.

LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
      I feel like there is a lot of misinformation in this thread and I flat out disagree with some of the things being proclaimed here, but I'm too tired at the moment to attempt to clear any of it up. I'll try to come back later.

I'd be happy to address your concerns and point you to references if you'd like.

Dreamer Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      60+
      Austin
      DJ Entries

I suffered from chronic episodes of sleep paralysis for about ten years. When it first started, I would suddenly wake up in the middle of the night. Without reason, I would instantly be overcome with an overwhelming and visceral terror. I wanted to scream or jump out of bed, but would be completely unable make a sound or move anything but my eyes no matter how hard I tried. I would then look to my bedroom doorway and see a figure made of black shadows with red eyes standing at the doorway. Eventually, as the episodes became more frequent, the shadow figure would float above me and I would feel an intense pressure on my chest.

Although I believe lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis may be linked in the sense that sufferers of chronic episodes of sleep paralysis may be more likely to be lucid dreamers also, only once in my ten years of experiencing sleep paralysis did I have it link to a lucid dream. WILDs always occur at the onset of sleep, while SP (for me at least) would happen in the middle of a sleep period. It has always bothered me how people lump these two distinct phenomena into one term. I think when WILDing, what people are calling SP is body dissociation. Not being able to move because you can't feel your body is completely different from feeling your body and not being able to move.
      Last edited by hermine_hesse; 05-06-2012 at 06:11 AM.
      Mzzkc and zombiesarebad like this.

LD Count
      avg. 1 per week
      Sleep paralysis is not a perfect term to use, but it is not incorrect when used on this forum. If anyone is incorrect it's the people who think sleep paralysis must be accompanied by a sense of terror. Sleep paralysis as described by the people on the typical sleep/health forums is incorrect. Sleep paralysis as a medical term is incorrect. How many sleep health doctors have actually learned to induce sleep paralysis on purpose to study it first hand? Not very many. They rely on the descriptions given by patients who are even more ignorant than they are.

If what you say is true then every time I WILD I pass through a few seconds of NREM sleep. Even if I've already slept for nine hours? NREM should be completely finished by that point. After that much sleep I pass from waking straight into REM sleep. And I can still get all the sensations that you're describing as NREM. As well as the total paralysis that you say doesn't occur during NREM.

I too want to demystify sleep paralysis. But replacing a commonly used and misunderstood term with another commonly used and possibly misunderstood term does not seem like a step in the right direction. I'd rather teach people what sleep paralysis really is.

When we perform a WILD our brain is asleep, yet we are still aware of ourselves. That's what it's all about. And that's exactly what happens to a person when they experience sleep paralysis the old fashioned way. Their awareness of themselves is awake while the rest of their brain is still asleep. Just like a WILD. But the average person doesn't know what's happening and panics. They aren't aware that a little mental discipline can allow them to control the sensations or to simply return to sleep.
      intheworldofnim likes this.

LD Count
      non-Euclidean
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by dms111 View Post
      If what you say is true then every time I WILD I pass through a few seconds of NREM sleep. Even if I've already slept for nine hours? NREM should be completely finished by that point. After that much sleep I pass from waking straight into REM sleep. And I can still get all the sensations that you're describing as NREM. As well as the total paralysis that you say doesn't occur during NREM.
      Sorry but this is just false. Every time you go to sleep you go through NREM, that goes for after brief nighttime awakenings, too. As Mzzkc outlines in the OP, much of the phenomena associated with 'REM transitions' occurs in stage 1. It's a misnomer that by WILDing during WBTB you've 'gotten NREM out of the way' as NonREM occurs throughout the night, only stage 3 ceases after several sleep cycles.

the course of a sleep cycle could be seen as Wakefulness->stage 1->stage 2->stage 3->stage 2->REM->brief awakening->Stage 1... etc. etc.

I think probably a lot of Oneironauts do experience REM when they WILD, but most unsuccessful newbies trying to WILD are seeking to induce what amounts to a fiction created through an elaborate game of chinese whispers.
      Mzzkc and Sageous like this.

But it's all wrong

-John Lennon

LD Count
      avg. 1 per week
      Quote Originally Posted by Ctharlhie View Post
      Sorry but this is just false. Every time you go to sleep you go through NREM, that goes for after brief nighttime awakenings, too. As Mzzkc outlines in the OP, much of the phenomena associated with 'REM transitions' occurs in stage 1. It's a misnomer that by WILDing during WBTB you've 'gotten NREM out of the way' as NonREM occurs throughout the night, only stage 3 ceases after several sleep cycles.
      I wasn't talking about a WBTB. I was talking about sleeping for nine hours, waking and immediately returning to sleep. I can feel SP take hold, I am very much paralyzed, and a dream begins to form immediately and after a few seconds I'm totally immersed in a dream. So where is the NREM?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast