• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

    View Poll Results: Is catholic school brainwashing, And did it work on you?

    Voters
    65. You may not vote on this poll
    • I went to catholic school, but it's not brainwashing

      11 16.92%
    • I went to catholic school, and they were definetly trying to wash something(mostly my brain)

      15 23.08%
    • I didn't go to catholic shcool, but catholic school isn't brainwaishing, your just paranoid, man

      8 12.31%
    • I din't go to catholic school, but yes, it is brainwahing

      31 47.69%
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 50
    1. #1
      DEATH TO FANATICS! Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      StonedApe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      toledo,OH
      Posts
      2,269
      Likes
      414
      DJ Entries
      61

      Is catholic school brainwashing?

      I went to catholic school and I felt like it was a rather strange experience. They make you wear a uniform. They make you go to mass. They tell you what to believe and don't encourage you to come up with your own beliefs.

      Now granted, not all people will respond to this conditioning. But there were a lot of people at my school who just ate that shit up. They firmly believed that catholicism was right. There were also some people(and this was probably the majority) who didn't care that much about religion, but still beleived in the catholic version of God and heaven and hell because of what they were taught.

      I'm also curious as to weather or not people who went to catholic school are still catholic. I'm not.
      I messed up the poll, but it's alright.
      Last edited by StonedApe; 12-04-2008 at 05:25 PM.
      157 is a prime number. The next prime is 163 and the previous prime is 151, which with 157 form a sexy prime triplet. Taking the arithmetic mean of those primes yields 157, thus it is a balanced prime.

      Women and rhythm section first - Jaco Pastorious

    2. #2
      Previously Pensive Patrick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Gender
      Location
      Manchester, UK
      Posts
      1,783
      Likes
      825
      I went to a catholic primary school, and I think that forcing beliefs on a child, who is not old enough to decide for themselves yet, is totally wrong, and yes, it is brainwashing.

      Saying that, I'm a hardcore athiest, so it obviously doesn't work on everyone.

      I think a much more serious problem is religious parents enforcing their religion on their children, because children look up to their parents a lot more than the authority at their school. Only 1 in 12 children stray from the religion of their parents (source: The God Delusion).

    3. #3
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      2,119
      Likes
      1
      No, I didn't go.
      Yes, it's brainwashing.

    4. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Posts
      6
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Pensive Patrick View Post
      I went to a catholic primary school, and I think that forcing beliefs on a child, who is not old enough to decide for themselves yet, is totally wrong, and yes, it is brainwashing.

      Saying that, I'm a hardcore athiest, so it obviously doesn't work on everyone.

      I think a much more serious problem is religious parents enforcing their religion on their children, because children look up to their parents a lot more than the authority at their school. Only 1 in 12 children stray from the religion of their parents (source: The God Delusion).
      I agree, Get them while their young seems to be the Catholic moto...

      But also it's more then likely their parents influence.... e.g. My parents aren't practicing and don't know what to believe.... but I wen't to a catholic primary and secondary school and I'm like "Woah, slow down there I don't give a crap about mass"... I guess I'm athesist till proven wrong... which will probably never happen!

      I think it's a mixture of parenting, peer presure and background... Mainly parenting though as patrick quite rightly pointed out...

    5. #5
      just another dreamer Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran Second Class
      Kael Seoras's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      651
      Likes
      7
      My sister went to Episcopalian school kindergarten thru 8th grade, but to Catholic school for high school...maybe it would have made a difference if she went to Catholic school her whole life...all I know is I went to public school my whole life and I'm pretty sure we have similar beliefs...although she ended up getting into the cheezy contemporary religious music *facepalms*

    6. #6
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran Second Class 1000 Hall Points
      Photolysis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,274
      Likes
      315
      Yes, it is brainwashing, especially as it comes at a time where people are more likely to believe in what authority figures say without question.

      Saying that, I'm a hardcore athiest, so it obviously doesn't work on everyone.
      Yet sadly many intelligent people are not immune to the grasp of indoctrination.

    7. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Posts
      6
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Photolysis View Post
      Yes, it is brainwashing, especially as it comes at a time where people are more likely to believe in what authority figures say without question.



      Yet sadly many intelligent people are not immune to the grasp of indoctrination.
      To be fair, I believe the majority are less likely to believe in authority nowdays if they live in a devleloped country, for example Muslims who have migrated to the UK, their children will more then likely think more about their religion than if they were brought up in a less developed country...

      There are mainly factors in people "believing" in religion, but as I said I think it's mainly parenting, peer pressure (schools, friends etc) and background (LEDC's etc)

    8. #8
      Purple Dinosaur ClassyElf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      175
      Likes
      0
      I went to a baptist private school, not a catholic one. It sounds like the same deal though.

      I know the school was extremely strict and fucked me up socially, but I don't think it was brainwashing. They were just teaching what they thought to be true under a stricter-than usual environment.

      It's only brainwashing in the same way that military school is brainwashing.
      I live in your philosophy and religion forums.

    9. #9
      FreeSpirit RooJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      679
      Likes
      57
      I currently work in a catholic school and wouldnt say there's too much brainwashing going on.

      Pupils do go to mass occasionaly, make the sign of the cross before assembly, have religiously focused trips out etc.. but they also have normal science lessons completely devoid of religion, science lessons in which they learn about natural selection, evolution, the big bang theory and the like. I also notice at least some effort being made in encouraging pupils to think for themselves. I noted pupils work up on the walls in an RE classroom some weeks back for example, in which the kids were tasked with arguing both for and against the likelihood of the resurrection story being true.
      We also have many atheist teachers throughout the school, one in particular who has a classroom next to my office persists in displaying Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion" book on a shelf for all to see as they enter her classroom .

      I may be wrong but id imagine the US would be a little more.. "hardcore".. on the religious side of things when it comes to Catholic schools, but not so much here, at least for this school.

      I will add that children do tend to look up to people such as teachers in positions of authority for guidance and examples, and i can see how damaging to freedom of thought a repressive religious system would be. In fact id go so far as to say its almost criminal and constitutes child abuse as far as im concerned, schools should be more about fostering inquisitive, bright and empathetic minds who can find their own way without relying on the dusty dogma of past generations.

    10. #10
      DEATH TO FANATICS! Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      StonedApe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      toledo,OH
      Posts
      2,269
      Likes
      414
      DJ Entries
      61
      I agree with people on the parents thing. I mean the parents have to be the ones who pay for it and send their kids there. I just don't get why catholics baptize kids who can't speak, then tell young impressionable children that if they sin there going to hell.

      Anyone who understands spirituality well enough to teach it knows you have to be at leaast in your teens to really understand any of it, in my opinion.

      But I'm glad I went through catholic school. It made me think about the beliefs, which showed me how ridiculous they are. I just don't think thats the experience most people have. Sometimes I feel bad, then I think "I used to be catholic" makes me smile every time.
      157 is a prime number. The next prime is 163 and the previous prime is 151, which with 157 form a sexy prime triplet. Taking the arithmetic mean of those primes yields 157, thus it is a balanced prime.

      Women and rhythm section first - Jaco Pastorious

    11. #11
      I WANT A LUCID DREAM!!!!! Rai Saix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      379
      Likes
      1
      Yes. Further more, I consider it a new form of child abuse. They promote hate, ignorance, and censorship of ideas. I know many people who went to Catholic school. And I have come to the conclusion the Catholic School is probably the leading cause of atheism or conversion to other religions.

      I am a Christian, but Catholic School is fucked up.

    12. #12
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      2,505
      Likes
      218
      I went to a catholic school. Catholic elementary school, and catholic high school. And I really didn't feel too brainwashed. Sure, some teachers would have a moment of silence at the start of class, or they would pray and stuff, but it's not like they were trying to completely brainwash us. I wasn't rebellious about the religious teachings, though. I was fairly detached. It was all an exercise in memorization, so it made me good at it, and hell, I don't remember any of the religious teachings (memorization is never the right answer if you want to actually learn stuff).

      I'd go into the office of our religion teacher and just talk to him about sects and stuff, since the topic interested me, and he was one of the good ones. I asked him what he thought about "hell", and you know what? He didn't say anything like the bullshit you might hear in the typical bible belt sunday schools. All in all, the experience has allowed me to think critically about it for myself, and I ended up where I am now (definitely not religious).

      I hated high school for many reasons, but religious brainwashing wasn't one of them.

    13. #13
      Member SpecialInterests's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Pangea Ultima
      Posts
      349
      Likes
      29
      I went to a catholic school, but didn't even have any beliefs towards any type of gods. It didn't strike me as brainwashing only because I was capable of coming up with and forming my own beliefs and opinions. To some less intelligent kids that are easily lead - yes I'd definitely consider it brainwashing.

    14. #14
      of dreaming dreamingofdreaming's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      LD Count
      6 WILD 29 DILD
      Gender
      Location
      My Brain and sometimes the Pac-NW
      Posts
      517
      Likes
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by Replicon View Post
      I went to a catholic school. Catholic elementary school, and catholic high school. And I really didn't feel too brainwashed. Sure, some teachers would have a moment of silence at the start of class, or they would pray and stuff, but it's not like they were trying to completely brainwash us. I wasn't rebellious about the religious teachings, though. I was fairly detached. It was all an exercise in memorization, so it made me good at it, and hell, I don't remember any of the religious teachings (memorization is never the right answer if you want to actually learn stuff).

      I'd go into the office of our religion teacher and just talk to him about sects and stuff, since the topic interested me, and he was one of the good ones. I asked him what he thought about "hell", and you know what? He didn't say anything like the bullshit you might hear in the typical bible belt sunday schools. All in all, the experience has allowed me to think critically about it for myself, and I ended up where I am now (definitely not religious).

      I hated high school for many reasons, but religious brainwashing wasn't one of them.

      Yeah, I went to Catholic school from pre-k to Senior year in High School. I am by no means brainwashed (ofcourse, a true branwashee would not truely know). We had weekly masses, we took theology classes, I had uniforms until 8th grade and then free dress with a strict dress code. I think with all the pressures of what to wear, havin uniforms is great, it takes that whole aspect of social life out of the equation.

      The educational value is much higher than public schools and from my experience Catholic/Private schools encourage a lot more thinking and discussion. In theology we discussed several topics, including Darwinism versus Adam and Eve...

      There was no pressure to remain Catholic, and we were encouraged to explore other beliefs. I now consider myself more of a Buddhist but I am very glad I got the fundamental Catholic values instilled in me. My parents were supportive and simply wanted us to believe in something...

      Maybe Catholic/Private school 40 years ago had more of a brainwashing element but so did most public schools with the whole corporal punishment factor...

      I also think you can't really have much of a educated opinion on this matter unless you are very familar with the Catholic education system....

      for Seattle

    15. #15
      Banned
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Big Village, North America
      Posts
      1,956
      Likes
      85
      I went to catholic school. They have a standardized curriculum like every other school and teach evolution, physics, chemistry, math etc. No it is not brainwashing. Only difference is that you needed a few 'religion credits' which you got by going to religion class. Grade 9 they mostly teach Catholicism, grade 10 is all about world religions, and grade 11 and 12 is basically a philosophy class. There was also a school mass once a month, but you got to miss some class so it was all good.

    16. #16
      Sleeping Dragon Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      juroara's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Posts
      3,800
      Likes
      1057
      DJ Entries
      133
      I went to public, remained christian

      everyone I know who went to catholic school, came out atheist. so...I wouldn't say brainwashing or no one would have come out atheist, but definitely the experience must have been sour

      ive also been told it makes homosexuals

    17. #17
      Theoretically Impossible Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      Idolfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Dark Side of the Moon
      Posts
      1,091
      Likes
      30
      I don't care whether it's brainwashing or not, it's still Catholic and religious schooling to some degree.

      There's a Catholic school on the way to my own which we drive past. If I had it me own way I'd smash the windows in and spread faecal matter all over the walls.

      Catholicism is probably the worst mainstream religion bar Islam.
      The starz...
      The planets...
      The intricate and dynamic machinery of nature...
      Are you saying,
      that all of this was created,
      BY A MONKEY??????

    18. #18
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Belgrade
      Posts
      255
      Likes
      2
      There are no catholic schools here. We barely have catholics at all.

      There are no religion schools here, however, we have theology in all schools. It's completely optional and you don't get grades from it. However, it's one of the most interesting classes, if you have the right professor that is.
      adopted by Walms
      LDs (good ones): 8 (3)
      WILDs: 1 (1); DILDs: 4 (0); DEILDs: 3 (2)
      Dream goals: find the dream car (two-story dolly-beetle) []; use dream car to switch surroundings []; meet []; dance with []; meet personifications of different parts of my personality []; buy the damn jersey! []
      member of the Official Dreamviews Fit Club

    19. #19
      of dreaming dreamingofdreaming's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      LD Count
      6 WILD 29 DILD
      Gender
      Location
      My Brain and sometimes the Pac-NW
      Posts
      517
      Likes
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by Idolfan View Post
      I don't care whether it's brainwashing or not, it's still Catholic and religious schooling to some degree.

      There's a Catholic school on the way to my own which we drive past. If I had it me own way I'd smash the windows in and spread faecal matter all over the walls.

      Catholicism is probably the worst mainstream religion bar Islam.
      Pretty violent thoughts you got there about Catholicism.... Can you enlighten us a little more as to why you feel this way about Catholic Schools?

      I really hope you never act out that threat, these schools are not state funded, they are a non profit private organization that get money from donors and attendees, it would be very expensive for them to clean your mess. Typing out random threats with no back up defeats the whole purpose of posting anything.....

    20. #20
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      90
      Likes
      0
      I went to a Catholic school!
      It was terrible.
      The way they tried to indoctrinate us was disgusting.

      I recommend it for anyone who wants their kid to grow up to be a close minded prick.

    21. #21
      Banned
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Big Village, North America
      Posts
      1,956
      Likes
      85
      A lot of people seem to have an irrational distrust for Catholicism on this forum. I lived as a catholic for the better part of my life, and I personally think I'm a better person because of it. Perhaps I got lucky and found the one Catholic school that wasn't a brainwashing facility...

      I find it funny that the people who didn't go to Catholic school seem to have the strongest opinions. 21 votes and counting for "I didn't go to Catholic School, but yes it is brainwashing." And I haven't seen anyone post a strong argument for it.

    22. #22
      of dreaming dreamingofdreaming's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      LD Count
      6 WILD 29 DILD
      Gender
      Location
      My Brain and sometimes the Pac-NW
      Posts
      517
      Likes
      5
      Yah I laughed out loud when I saw that 62% didn't go to catholic school but thought "yes it is brainwashing" lol

      I guess ignorance is truely bliss for some

    23. #23
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      90
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by grasshoppa View Post
      A lot of people seem to have an irrational distrust for Catholicism on this forum. I lived as a catholic for the better part of my life, and I personally think I'm a better person because of it. Perhaps I got lucky and found the one Catholic school that wasn't a brainwashing facility...

      I find it funny that the people who didn't go to Catholic school seem to have the strongest opinions. 21 votes and counting for "I didn't go to Catholic School, but yes it is brainwashing." And I haven't seen anyone post a strong argument for it.
      I am guessing I have the strongest anti-catholic school opinion, and I went to catholic school.

      Teaching a young child a religion is brainwashing. They do not have the capacity to fully understand the concept religion and the do not have the knowledge of other religions and philosophies to compare to what they are being taught. Young children do not have the capacity for complex thinking and religion is a complex subject.

      Is that a strong enough argument for you?

    24. #24
      of dreaming dreamingofdreaming's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      LD Count
      6 WILD 29 DILD
      Gender
      Location
      My Brain and sometimes the Pac-NW
      Posts
      517
      Likes
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by plg6067 View Post
      I am guessing I have the strongest anti-catholic school opinion, and I went to catholic school.

      Teaching a young child a religion is brainwashing. They do not have the capacity to fully understand the concept religion and the do not have the knowledge of other religions and philosophies to compare to what they are being taught. Young children do not have the capacity for complex thinking and religion is a complex subject.

      Is that a strong enough argument for you?
      An argument, yes, a strong one, no. Define what you exactly mean by "complex"? Catholicism teaches the basic principals of love, kindness to others, fairness, compassion, not to steal, not to swear etc... They teach small children in the form of story books with animals as characters.

      Perhaps love and kindess are to complex for some to understand....

      Society itself is it's own "brainwashing" machine, telling people to get a job, go to school, don't steal, don't cheat, don't swear, drinking is bad, smoking is bad, stop on red, go on green..... eerily the same to what Catholicism calls for it's practicioners wouldn't you say?

      I am intersted in hearing a valid example or argument which makes a direct link to how someone who went to Catholic school became brainwashed because of it.

    25. #25
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      90
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by dreamingofdreaming View Post
      An argument, yes, a strong one, no. Define what you exactly mean by "complex"? Catholicism teaches the basic principals of love, kindness to others, fairness, compassion, not to steal, not to swear etc... They teach small children in the form of story books with animals as characters.

      Perhaps love and kindess are to complex for some to understand....

      Society itself is it's own "brainwashing" machine, telling people to get a job, go to school, don't steal, don't cheat, don't swear, drinking is bad, smoking is bad, stop on red, go on green..... eerily the same to what Catholicism calls for it's practicioners wouldn't you say?

      I am intersted in hearing a valid example or argument which makes a direct link to how someone who went to Catholic school became brainwashed because of it.
      I am talking about god, afterlife, son of god on earth, prayer, heaven and hell.
      Sure, you can talk about these things in kiddie terms, but that does not make them simple subjects.

      These are not subjects that should be dumbed down and spouted to our developing minds.


      Religion class did not just teach me about being a good boy... Jesus died for our sins and shit like that is what shouldn't be taught to a kid. They need to decide they believe that for themselves when they are older.

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •