• 2 Post By DreamyBear

Thread: Afterlife

LD Count
      Thunderclan Territory
      DJ Entries

Angry Afterlife

Is the Afterlife real?
      Is it Fake?
      Will we LD for our Afterlife? But what if the Brain is Destroyed? Do we have a Spirt Brain/Concious?
      I mean most scientists belive in ghosts...
      How can I even comprehend having no Concious I mean seriously.
      There's gotta be a GOoD afterlife not some messed up afterlife.
      Maybe, when we get eaten by worms our consious somehow gets turned into a baby which's memory is wiped and eated by some bird you turn into a bird.........blah blah blah....get eaten by Human fuse with Sperm boom you're a Human. I dunno guys...

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      <span class='glow_9400D3'>OneUp</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      1+ Every Night
      Here
      DJ Entries
      I like to approach this kind of stuff with the mindset that anything is possible- of course to a reasonable extent haha. I'm almost positive that no one knows for sure whats after this life, but one day we will all find out As far as conscious and spirituality goes, I believe that we all have a spirit that has its own consciousness, as for if we keep our memories when we die- I doubt it. But hey I could be wrong, I'm only guessing.

"If we doubted our fears instead of doubting our dreams, imagine how much in life we'd accomplish." ~Joel Brown
      "Your background and circumstances may have influenced who you are, but you are responsible for who you become." ~Darren Hardy

Goals:
      -Become Lucid in every dream every night
      -Perfect the time dilation watch
      -Continue to have a dream plan for most of my lucid dreams

contemporary stardust... Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      LD Count
      Need More!!!!
      fish
      I have no clue what happens when we die(execpt being buried of course!)
      kadie likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Netherlands
      Always an interesting question! I agree with 1^ that most likely, nobody really knows what will happen after death. I do find that people who look at humans as a machine, come with very interesting theories. It does seem the most logical to me that there would be nothing after death. Though, it would also seem arrogant to me to assume that my idea would be the correct one. Therefor I am an agnostic I don't think anyone really knows what will happen. I am open to anyone who disagrees though
      Lucid Dream Goal:
      A perfect week!

One week with at least 1 Lucid Dream in every night.

Member Achievements:
      Vivid Dream Journal Tagger First Class Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by blazingnyancat View Post
      Is the Afterlife real?
      Is it Fake?
      Will we LD for our Afterlife? But what if the Brain is Destroyed? Do we have a Spirt Brain/Concious?
      Maybe, when we get eaten by worms our consious somehow gets turned into a baby which's memory is wiped and eated by some bird you turn into a bird.........blah blah blah....get eaten by Human fuse with Sperm boom you're a Human. I dunno guys...
      I agree as most people have stated here that no one can be fully certain that they have a direct answer for this concept.

I never heard or seen any real scientist claiming that they believe in a ghost, most that I know if they call themselves real scientist follow the scientific method which would directly go against a claim like ghost with no solid evidence that they can follow up on.

That's the thing, you can't comprehend having no conscious since it's gone. If mainstream science is correct about consciousness not being separated from the brain since the only reason we experience this Reality is through the major lobes that the brain has develop.

I can't say I know there is a good afterlife because like the process of natural selection things don't seem to be in are control in that area So seeing how here naturally works may suggest that it's up to your personal view to look at the after life (if there is one) as a good or crappy one as you do with this life we're experiencing.

I never consider philosophy to be apart of who I truly am because right now in a rational sense it appears to be impossible to be certain that there's more than just Reality. Because if I am wrong about a belief I chose to have then I would have wasted a lot of time thinking about something I could not understand. That's why in my own opinion I think it's best to work toward what you want right now instead of trying to sum up what is. If you desire a good afterlife then try to your hardest to find a way to experience that goal( Assuming that is one of your goals) . I don't plan on waiting to see if I was right or wrong on what I truly wanted . I think it's best to go after your goals now so that you wouldn't have to rely on chance
      Aristocles likes this.
      DILD: 342| WILD: 13 | DEILD: 10 | FILD: 2 | MILD: 13 | OBE: 6 |

San Antonio, TX
      DJ Entries
      If you're curious you can always read near death experiences (NDE's). Who better to tell us what's on the otherside than those who've nearly been there? That is, if you're willing to entertain the NDE long enough, you might get something interesting out of it.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV 3 years registered
      DJ Entries
      I have been thinking about this for a while now. Im sure everyone has after all its one of those questions man has pondered since the beginning of mankind.
      I have had Jehova's witnesses come to my door and ask me if I missed my loved ones that had passed and "don't you want to see them again in heaven or paradise?', or the Mormons who have a history of a vast number of people in their records so that those who were not Mormon and saved upon their deaths could be post humorously saved. I have heard the reincarnation stories from the non Christian "religions" but in truth, when I die, I don't care if I meet my past loved ones again. I'm too busy trying to survive now and when my time comes, I will just be dead. That's my take anyway. Not speaking for anyone else.

LD Count
      Virginia
      DJ Entries
      I guess this question is linked to do you believe in God. This universe to me does not make sense. We can not even comprehend what happened before the Big Bang because time started with the big bang. I guess I can kind of relate it to the 4th dimension. Carl Sagan explained it this way, that if we lived in a 2 dimensional world, we would only know forward, back, left, and right. We would never be able to understand what up and down is, because we have never seen it or able to experience it. But if a 3 dimensional being wished to visit the 2 dimensional world it would not make sense to a 2 dimensional object while it was passing through or tried to speak to it, as it would just go through in sections. And if the 2 dimensional object were to get swept off and float through 3 dimensions, if he tried to explain it to his friends they would think he was crazy. He would try to say well i floated through this 3 dimensional space and I saw all sorts of crazy objects. But he would never be able to tell them what up and down is, because he has no way of showing them or describing it. They would not believe him. In this way I feel like we might leave this dimension after we die.

I also feel like the general consensus around most religions in history is that if you are a good person and try your best to make the world a better place you will be rewarded in the afterlife, and if you act selfishly or lie, cheat, steal, kill, etc. you will be punished in the afterlife. So I might be inclined to believe heaven and hell are real, even if there is no proof.

The reason people like to believe that being good gets them rewarded, and that being bad gets one punished is because of psychological reasons. It isn't that hard to see why a person would think good should be reward and bad punished, so it is easy to tell why the religions were created that way. There is no reason to actually believe such things. The world doesn't work like that. Good or bad is irrelevant. The only time those things effect anything at all is when humans try to enforce them. For example, killing a person doesn't result in any punishment what so ever, unless another human makes a rule saying it isn't allowed and is willingly to enforce that rule

Back to the main question though, the chances of an afterlife seem pretty slim. There are a few real, scientific possibilities that could result in an after life being real. For example, if we are in an extremely advanced simulation of the universe, it is possible all that information can be backed up and saved. In which case, there is a possibility that the owner of the simulation can use your data in other ways, and thus have you continue your life some where else. That is pretty out there, but theoretically possible.
      Neo Neo likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      I've lost count
      omicron persei 8
      DJ Entries
      For those who think quantum immortality is true, like me, either there is an afterlife and its eternal (or has an after afterlife, and, so on) or I'm guaranteed to live forever. Also, (and I apologize if I'm butchering mathematics here), because, given an infinite amount of time (which would be necessary, otherwise quantum immortality isn't true), all non-zero probabilities (at least) will become true, even if I'm sent to hell, I will almost surely get a prolonged taste of heaven, as well (assuming they exist). As for God, he doesn't necessarily have to exist, but if he does, then so long as he obeys the laws of quantum mechanics, then all's good. If he transcends them (which would make sense, given that he's allegedly the creator of said laws), then I might be in trouble.

Wi
      I'm not sure what I believe in as far as souls go, but I believe that something will happen to a person if that person believes that something is what happens after death. To make that less confusing, let me give you an example:

If I believe that my soul will leave my body at the time of death and will then be able to freely explore the astral realm and choose the next life where and when I want to, then that is what will happen when I die.
      However, if someone believes they will go to heaven when they die, then that is what will happen to them.
      On the flip side, if someone believes they will seize to exist consciously after death and the only thing that will happen is their body will decompose, then that'll happen to them.

Idk just my thoughts.
      Neo Neo likes this.

Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophilia View Post
      I'm not sure what I believe in as far as souls go, but I believe that something will happen to a person if that person believes that something is what happens after death. To make that less confusing, let me give you an example:

If I believe that my soul will leave my body at the time of death and will then be able to freely explore the astral realm and choose the next life where and when I want to, then that is what will happen when I die.
      However, if someone believes they will go to heaven when they die, then that is what will happen to them.
      On the flip side, if someone believes they will seize to exist consciously after death and the only thing that will happen is their body will decompose, then that'll happen to them.

Idk just my thoughts.
      I don't see how it follows that X will happen if a person merely believes it will.
      StephL likes this.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

LD Count
      several
      Japan
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by juroara View Post
      If you're curious you can always read near death experiences (NDE's). Who better to tell us what's on the otherside than those who've nearly been there? That is, if you're willing to entertain the NDE long enough, you might get something interesting out of it.
      While I think these experiences can be subjective, I think this is a strong area which gives credibility to the afterlife. What's really interesting is that people will report similar things, across different cultures and personalities. They might be having an out of body experience and viewing their surroundings as paramedics report them gone, or they will describe places of love and light, as well as coming in to contact with passed on family members.

I also think that the mystery of the afterlife ties in the mystery of our life/universe as well. I don't think the two can be separated. I feel we are all connected, both as humanity and as souls. It could be said that everything is of one mind and one body, as we live in a fractal world and there are guiding forces. Kind of like animism. This view is biased though, and I realize this, but I'm explaining it in this way to get to my next point. If we are a part of everything, and God is everything, then we are already embedded in the fractal nature of God/the universe. In fact we really would have God literally within us, and life itself would be an entheogenic process.

So how's this relate to the afterlife? If we are a integral part of everything in our own universe, then at a higher level of consciousness we are that "being", we are "everything" at the highest (or deepest, however you look at it) level of reality. So when we individually pass over into the afterlife, this should call for even more questions. Do we merge with the hive mind, enter into another stage of cosmic development, or does it all just end and the red curtains close?

Last thing, I was thinking lately that there really has to be a inner and external balance when treading in these waters. Thinking and experiencing this far out should probably be balanced with just as much grounding and connection to the Earth. But that's just me

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

LD Count
      in the Hundreds
      Ontario
      A recent scientific UK study of patients who suffered cardiac arrest (one of the largest on this topic) has concluded that consciousness can continue after clinical death. It is known that the brain shuts down approximately 30 seconds after the heart stops but the study found that consciousness continued for some time afterwards, they're just not sure how long it continues.

I for one like the theory of the holographic universe, where our word is simply a projection from a level of reality far beyond our own. It has been shown that consciousness impact reality at the quantum level, so how much of this also occurs at our level. Is a higher consciousness behind our reality? Do we not merge back with that consciousness after death?

Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by AmicusSomniatus View Post
      A recent scientific UK study of patients who suffered cardiac arrest (one of the largest on this topic) has concluded that consciousness can continue after clinical death. It is known that the brain shuts down approximately 30 seconds after the heart stops but the study found that consciousness continued for some time afterwards, they're just not sure how long it continues.
      The AWARE study? It ended up being a bunch of junk.
      snoop and StephL like this.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

LD Count
      in the Hundreds
      Ontario
      Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE976 View Post
      The AWARE study? It ended up being a bunch of junk.
      Thanks for the Link Blueline, I didn't see that one. It's always good to get the other side of the story

Wi
      Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE976 View Post
      I don't see how it follows that X will happen if a person merely believes it will.

Honestly, I haven't really figured that out yet, either. What I'd like to think is that we each have our own perception of reality, and our reality carries on after death.
      My reality is that I've experienced the astral realm, and it's a place where people's souls can go whether the physical body is alive or dead. I'm not sure if that really clears things up for you. I don't really know how to use my words .-.

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by blazingnyancat View Post
      Is the Afterlife real?
      Is it Fake?
      We are all destined to live electrically.

Death is just your consciousness moving on.

If you are a non-believer, you will see death as the total end of all you can be and know. You may not be interested in this thread.

A believer will think the opposite and see consciousness as moving on somehow. But to where?

If believers are correct, then consciousness must be able to be sentient apart from our bodies. Movement of consciousness is usually power given to the archetypal soul. It would be within the telepathic realm. I see this realm as natural but many will see it as supernatural.

I believe, thanks to my apotheosis, in a cosmic consciousness. I would like to ask you if you think that there is anything viable in the notion that our consciousness could be a part of the, --- as yet unproven, --- cosmic consciousness, --- that this research theorizes is out there?

Through The Wormhole - Is There A Sixth Sense PART 2/2 on Vimeo

Could this universal or cosmic consciousness that seems to reside in our magnetic shield be our next evolutionary destination?

Are we all going to end as subatomic particles buzzzzzzing around the earth electrically?

Regards
      DL

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
      The reason people like to believe that being good gets them rewarded, and that being bad gets one punished is because of psychological reasons. It isn't that hard to see why a person would think good should be reward and bad punished, so it is easy to tell why the religions were created that way. There is no reason to actually believe such things. The world doesn't work like that. Good or bad is irrelevant. The only time those things effect anything at all is when humans try to enforce them. For example, killing a person doesn't result in any punishment what so ever, unless another human makes a rule saying it isn't allowed and is willingly to enforce that rule

Back to the main question though, the chances of an afterlife seem pretty slim. There are a few real, scientific possibilities that could result in an after life being real. For example, if we are in an extremely advanced simulation of the universe, it is possible all that information can be backed up and saved. In which case, there is a possibility that the owner of the simulation can use your data in other ways, and thus have you continue your life some where else. That is pretty out there, but theoretically possible.
      I agree with you - but I would want to add the possibility of automatic self-punishment, when your empathy systems kick in, maybe after the deed.
      Of course this is in no way guaranteed, but I think we humans as social animals have some restraints, some "morals" programmed into us, including self-punishment and reward triggered in our psyche, and executed on the level of neurotransmitters and hormones.
      When you act kindly, help another human being - that sets in motion positive feelings, doesn't it? And hurting somebody tends to hurt yourself to some degree, if not overshadowed by strong negative emotions towards that being, or when your restraints have been overridden by getting used to it, like in wars, but one can't completely rid oneself of it, normally. Would the denomination psychopath fit somebody who can?
      But generally - I think, people need to adapt to being a soldier and killing people, need to somehow short-circuit this reaction not to go mad.
      Seems the so called mirror neurons play a crucial role here: Mirror neuron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Whatever - there is no conceivable possibility for an afterlife as it is, except you follow this simulation idea. Maybe one day it could be possible, if consciousness functioned like that, that a person's "mind" with memories and personality and everything could be transferred onto another medium, and one could live on there in a virtual reality, not unlike dreams. Depends, if such a thing is theoretically possible, and we're far from being able to answer this question at the moment.
      Consciousness without a matrix - how can one expect that to be possible?
      What do you think, we need this extremely complicated brain of ours for?
      How come you "believers" are aware, that damage to the brain robs us of crucial functions, including consciousness itself, but you believe that complete loss of it wouldn't result in complete disintegration?
      It's unreasonable wishful thinking, that's all it is in my eyes.

This is a dream Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      LD Count
      ?
      In my mind
      Consciousness without a matrix - how can one expect that to be possible?
      What do you think, we need this extremely complicated brain of ours for?
      According to science research, what we percieve as solid matter. Is 99% empty space. But empty space is of course energy itself, so what we percieve out of that 1% that we call real or solid matter, could be called more like a mere illusion that our individual brains are tuned into. And this would obviously mean that our brains them self, are 1% solid matter in this "real" reality. So our life could much likely be in the matrix right now, with everyone thinking that all we see infront of us are so very very real that it couldnt be in another way after the 1% dissolves. Or rather when the 1% merges back into the rest of the 99% empty space .
      Dthoughts and Neo Neo like this.
      You are not your thoughts...

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      300+
      Indiana
      The after life, does it exist? In way. Imagine this. Suppose you were to die tomorrow, and you woke up another person. Could such a thing really be possible? Was the previous life you just encountered all a dream? A result of what could have been, but hadn't already happened? Or had it? There is life beyond ours, beyond what we can conceive. Sleep easy knowing the stuff of fantasy is reality, a waking dream. You must realize that, because you think, you are. you exist, therefore you have always existed and will always exist for time unending. You can watch yourself live too, if we figure out how to travel faster than light. We can see it it all, we can watch the tiniest ripples ebb and flow through the cosmos, ride the wave all the way back where we came from. We exist now and forever, and as a testament to ourselves we write songs, create poetry and art. Sleep easy my friend, and peace be with you.