• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By <span style='color: #9900CC'>~Dreamer~</span>

Thread: Have on radio/music all night

Dreamer Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Sweden again
      DJ Entries

Have on radio/music all night

In my family we've often on radio 24/7 in the dining room (which is right outside my room), even on night time. I haven't had any problems falling asleep the past 10 years and I can't feel any effect from noise, in fact I find it easier to fall asleep when there's some noise, either from a fan that I use in the warm summer or with a radio.

The past weeks I've been listening to online radio station from other countries using my ipad that I place under my bed. I don't have very high volume, enough volume to hear what song it is and what they talk about while room is total quiet.
      I've before heard from my mum for example that sleeping with radio on aren't good, it interrupting the sleep or something like that. But I can't feel any effects from that really. No idea though if I lose sleep or so with radio/music on(?).
      I been googling around some on internet and some says it doesn't interrupt and some says it does.

Anyway, how many hear does listen to radio/TV/music or other noises while they falling asleep or/and during night?

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      300+
      Indiana
      It depends. Depending on how heavy of a sleeper you are, it can cause you to wake up or have disturbed sleep many times throughout the night and you will not even remember that it happens or be aware of it. However, this isn't true for everybody. If you feel rested when you wake up in the morning, have at it.

Student Oneironaut Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

DJ Entries
      I remember reading a medical study that said that having noise that you can hear disturbs your sleep even if it is not loud enought to wake you up, and therefore it is potentially dangerous for your health. But I don't have personal experience on that topic really, nor remember where I read it

Member <span style='color: #9900CC'>~Dreamer~</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      Australia
      DJ Entries
      I occasionally listen to music when I'm falling asleep, but I have it on a sleep timer so it turns off after an hour.
      There have been times where I've left the music playing all night by accident, and I felt less rested on those occasions, but I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence.

I've definitely noticed a significant difference in my dream recall when I've woken up with music playing.
      If music is the first thing I hear upon waking, my attention is immediately drawn to what song is playing, and thoughts of the waking world begin to flood my mind. This makes it a lot harder for me to hold onto dream memories, and they tend to fade away before I'm able to focus on recalling them.

I used to listen to music all night when I was at school, and I remember the music would often cross over into my dreams just before I woke up, so it was already on my mind before I was even fully awake.

I sometimes listen to white/brown noise all night, and that doesn't cause the same distractions upon waking.
      Tihiti likes this.

Raised by: PercyLucid ✦ Adopted: lucidmats ✦ Dreaming Partner: CanisLucidus

LD Count
      40 plus years
      DJ Entries
      Hi, I find noise messes up my REM cycle only (not deep sleep), cause I'm a very light sleeper. Sometimes I even wear earplugs. On the other hand, my son loves to sleep with the radio on. He often sets it to come on early in the morning to help with his sleep. It often wakes me up. lol I bet that was a lot of help!

LD Count
      >100...?
      Houston, TX
      In recent months I've been using episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on Youtube to fall asleep to...it relaxes/amuses me, and only lasts for so long. If the movie itself is too much of a downer for me to relax to, I'll just switch to another one. So far, no dream effects noted.

One weekend I was trying to do some things in my room while watching a marathon of Mythbusters on cable. I got really sleepy, but I knew if I took a substantial nap, I'd never finish what I was trying to do. So I turned the TV in my bedroom up loud enough to (I hoped) keep me from going any deeper than a light doze.

Well, I was apparently too tired for that trick to work. I fell asleep...and promptly started dreaming that I was in a house where every room had a television that was playing Mythbusters at an uncomfortable volume. I couldn't turn the volume down, couldn't turn the TV sets off, and couldn't find a room where it wasn't playing. I remember saying to a friend in the dream, "Man, I love the Mythbusters, but they just never shut up!"