• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Reality Breaker Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      Incomprehensible
      DJ Entries

How do I become more conscious when my alarm rings?

I've been trying to WBTB, but every time my alarm rings, I'm so groggy, I unconsciously turn off my alarm and go back to sleep. Sometimes, I don't even hear my alarm at all. What should I do so I am conscious enough to actually initiate WBTB-based techniques?

"I'm back for 1 year on Dreamviews!"
      "And you get a balloon. And you get a balloon. And you get a balloon..."

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Hey there,

Make sure you have enough sleep. If your body is too tired it may sleep straight through alarm noises. Also, place the alarm out of reach, preferably in a spot where you'd have to get out of bed to turn it off. That would force your body into activity and all but ensure you can't 'unconsciously' turn the alarm off.

If you have the means, it may be interesting to experiment with different types of alarms too (sound, vibration, light). Certain people respond better to certain types of alarms.

Lastly, don't give up too easily. Our bodies are often conditioned by routine sleep patterns and rhythmes. It can take a while to re-condition it to a new pattern, but with some persistance you can usually manage.

Just some thoughts,

-Redrivertears-

high mileage oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King Populated Wall Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      40 + Yrs' Worth
      Here & Now
      Also: You might try going to sleep with the intention of waking up to the alarm. Think about how you're going to wake up at the time to which the alarm is set, and really know that you will get up on time for your WBTB. Do this well enough, and you might just find yourself waking up without an alarm at all. (This is a prospective memory exercise from the MILD toolbox, if you're curious).

Another thought; You might consider tossing out the alarm altogether. We all wake up fairly frequently throughout the night, even if we don't remember doing so. What you might do is learn to simply get up during a wake-up that might occur around the time you set your alarm. Then you can do your WBTB without any concern for an alarm, and without the other problem alarms can cause: they wake you up too much.

Reality Breaker Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      Incomprehensible
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Redrivertears View Post
      Hey there,

Make sure you have enough sleep. If your body is too tired it may sleep straight through alarm noises. Also, place the alarm out of reach, preferably in a spot where you'd have to get out of bed to turn it off. That would force your body into activity and all but ensure you can't 'unconsciously' turn the alarm off.

If you have the means, it may be interesting to experiment with different types of alarms too (sound, vibration, light). Certain people respond better to certain types of alarms.

Lastly, don't give up too easily. Our bodies are often conditioned by routine sleep patterns and rhythmes. It can take a while to re-condition it to a new pattern, but with some persistance you can usually manage.

Just some thoughts,

-Redrivertears-
      I've been getting adequate sleep for a few days now, but I'm still sleeping through alarms . However, even though I'm getting adequate sleep, my sleep feels very shallow as of late. It feels as if I've been awake the whole night, though this isn't true as time seems to pass much faster and I even remembered a lucid dream one night. Also, I put my alarm on the other side of the room, but I still somehow manage to sleep-ish walk all the way to the alarm clock and unconsciously turn it off and return to my bed . I don't have any other means as I only have one alarm, no phone, and no car. Alright, I'll try to continue my sleep cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sageous View Post
      Also: You might try going to sleep with the intention of waking up to the alarm. Think about how you're going to wake up at the time to which the alarm is set, and really know that you will get up on time for your WBTB. Do this well enough, and you might just find yourself waking up without an alarm at all. (This is a prospective memory exercise from the MILD toolbox, if you're curious).

Another thought; You might consider tossing out the alarm altogether. We all wake up fairly frequently throughout the night, even if we don't remember doing so. What you might do is learn to simply get up during a wake-up that might occur around the time you set your alarm. Then you can do your WBTB without any concern for an alarm, and without the other problem alarms can cause: they wake you up too much.
      I'll try sleeping with the intention of waking up. Hopefully I won't sleep through the entire night anyways. Maybe if I learn how to wake up on my own, I'll be able to try a DEILD. I still doubt an alarm will wake me up too much due to the fact they don't even wake me up all the time and when they do, I'm barely awake.
      Last edited by spellbee2; 10-07-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Merged posts

"I'm back for 1 year on Dreamviews!"
      "And you get a balloon. And you get a balloon. And you get a balloon..."

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      A few
      DJ Entries
      I came to say what sageous had already said. You woud be surprised how easy it is to execute this simple waking up procedure when ur intent is pre-determined to wake up. The alarm clock really becomes secondary.

You mention ur quality of sleep is lacking. Mild and intention also prove useful in this. Intent to rest. And really feel ur muscles and the rest of ur body relax. I do this sometimes and it feels like im not really falling into sleep so much, rather i feel like im half conscious throughout most the night and feel my cells relaxing which feels great. I promise you this is 50% of the key to getting bedrest