• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

View Poll Results: How Long Did it Take to Have Your Fist Lucid Dream?

Voters
    152. You may not vote on this poll
    • Less than a week

39 25.66%
    • 1 to 2 weeks

26 17.11%
    • 2 weeks to 1 month

32 21.05%
    • 1 to 3 months

17 11.18%
    • Over 3 months

38 25.00%
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Like Tree34Likes

Thread: How Long Did it Take to Have Your First Lucid Dream?

Prone to AWOL Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      ~A lot
      Buffalo
      DJ Entries

How Long Did it Take to Have Your First Lucid Dream?

I've seen this question posted a lot lately and figured it'd be best to put it into poll form so people could easily see.

It took me about 3 weeks, which is what I'd expect to be average, but I may be wrong! Feel free to post specifics and any tips or tricks that worked for you!
      Last edited by Burke; 05-24-2016 at 04:53 AM.
      spellbee2 likes this.
      Have a question? Send me a pm.

...We are all connected...

Multiple Induction Technique (MIT) - Consistently have several lucids each night!

2016 TotY: Dragon [ ] Fairy [ ] Unicorn [ ] Gnome [ ] Leprechaun [ ] Phoenix [ ] Chimera [ ]

Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points 1000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Like a lot
      Florida
      DJ Entries
      Great thread, Burke.

For me, it took almost 6 months from when I started practicing to when I had my first one, but to be fair, I wasn't following good tutorials online, and there was a short gap in there where I didn't practice too much. But it was only about a month or two after finding DV that I had my first.
      Burke, Sensei, Spock and 1 others like this.
      "Going through life worrying about the little things is like cooking with motor oil instead of cooking oil. Sure, you can still probably pull it off, but it'll leave a bad taste in your mouth in retrospect." - Me, apparently

2015: 101 LDs, 2016: 114 LDs, 2017: 38 LDs, 2018: 20 LDs, 2019: 8 LDs

DreamViews Discord!

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Tagger First Class Veteran Second Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      70+
      Here
      DJ Entries
      For me it was hard. Took like 2 months for my first one and I don't have any now. Mainy because I don't put much effort into it and don't practice often. Sleep schedule is also bad. But its my goal over summer to accomplish having many LDs.
      "Dream look real, but they're in your mind, so you realize that the physical world is also a construction, which shows that the mind can affect reality in more ways than you can imagine." ~Stephen Laberge

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV 6 months registered
      LD Count
      Apr 2016: 23
      DJ Entries
      Not sure if I should vote on this poll, since I had some "natural" lucids as a kid here and there...

But in my teens, I noticed that I had no LDs for more than a year (and before that had one or two per year) - so I had to practice... To get DILDs again it took me about a month (not sure 3 or 5 weeks so I'm voting 1 to 3 months, as it took me ~4 months to get the first WILD). At the time I could only find really bad tutorials online and didn't really know what to expect (most of my kid lucids were either nightmare associated or very very short)...

Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      It took me around a week or less to have my first lucid dream. I was super determined and excited to see what it would be like so I basically spammed my mind with everything lucid dreaming related until I had one.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Vivid Dream Journal
      LD Count
      México
      DJ Entries
      8 years to freaking induce one single lucid, but it was worth it yep.

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      I've lost count
      omicron persei 8
      DJ Entries
      First day, followed by a week long dry spell.
      rastro13 likes this.

Lurker Achievements:
      6 months registered

I have been trying for 6 months (but a lot more in the past week bc of summer) and have had no lucid over a few seconds, but I have had a TON of false awakenings and dreams about lucid dreaming.
      Last edited by TheMadHatter; 06-02-2016 at 01:06 AM.

Long Time Lucid Explorer Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 3 years registered Tagger First Class Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Huge Dream Journal
      <span class='glow_FF1493'>DawnEye11</span>'s Avatar
      On A Special Star
      DJ Entries
      Less than a week. I knew about lucid dreaming when I was a child. I was honestly surprised when I found out some people didn't even know about it.
      "Be the best You, you can be...Relax...Listen...Imagine...*Silence*...Zzzzz"

DreamCafe11----DawnEye11
      DreamBuddy-Jadegreen

Stay lucid Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Veteran First Class Referrer Bronze Made Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      527+
      DJ Entries
      Took me a week to get the realization, but I woke up immediately. Then after another week I had a proper 7 minute long lucid. It was all because of the realization that : " Holy crap! You can actually LEARN to lucid dream?? Dude!" The rest is history Even before I began practicing LDing, I always wanted to have them and they seemed super cool.
      rastro13 likes this.

Lurker Achievements:
      3 years registered 1000 Hall Points

LD Count
      Buenos Aires
      Just under a month. Heard a Robert Waggoner interview on Conscious TV and took it from there.

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV 3 years registered
      LD Count
      Dream realm
      DJ Entries
      I've just taken the poll. It took me about a month, I would assume this is the average, but seeing the results, there is no average... I see it can vary greatly from one person to the other.
      krnt likes this.
      "If you must sleep a third of your life, why should you sleep through your dreams?"

Stephen LaBerge

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      It took me 2 1/2 weeks of constantly RCing and thinking about lucid dreaming and trying WBTB three times I think. I was 12 and I found all my information on LD4all (just reading the tutorials, not really the forum).

While I think it's good to read a lot of information about lucid dreaming while you're trying I think it's important to try not to absorb and internalize anyone's negativity, because I remember at that time that a lot of very discouraged people got online and said that LDing was too hard, not that cool, or fake. You have to believe!
      Jacob46719 likes this.

Hetrochromic Oneironaut Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Made lots of Friends on DV Huge Dream Journal Populated Wall Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Not a contest
      Here and Now
      DJ Entries
      Had a few natural LDs as a kid and growing up, maybe about one or two a year.

When I first learned about lucid dreaming and how to induce them, I successfully LDed the first night that I tried. But it took me about two months to get to the next good one after that.

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      300+
      Indiana
      I had one within two days of really reading up on what to do. The second took two weeks, and from there my LD rate was very spotty for a long time. I always seem to have good beginner's luck with things.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      Lost Count
      Dallas, Texas
      DJ Entries
      Had natural LD's arbitrarily (about 3) throughout my teenage and early adult years. Didn't understand what they were, and usually woke up out of them pretty quickly. After having 2 big ones in the past year and a half, I decided to make a conscious effort in having them regularly and at will. I started with a DJ and it took 15 days to induce the first one. So roughly 2 weeks. I had recorded 18 non-lucid dreams and 1 false awakening in the meantime.
      KingCobra likes this.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      i need 19 days to succeed my first and second lucid dream with DILD after practicing RC habit. i hopefully to get more soon

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class 6 months registered

LD Count
      not sure/ 1
      USA, NZ, Aussie
      DJ Entries
      I got many a long time ago, like some nights I would have three lucid dreams. Then I stopped caring about it, thinking oh well I'll watch my dreams. I got back into wanting to interpret dreams, and what better than to do the same thing within the dream, and understand myself and understand and remember God's Visions to me? So I started again and after a week I had one lucid dream but it's been a week and a half and no more. I tried WILD three times and today I am trying dream incubation. If I dream about my question I am asking God I will know I am dreaming hopefully.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      304 since 6/16
      Oregon, USA
      DJ Entries
      Three weeks of consistent practice a few days a week plus galantamine. I had had one or two a year spontaneously most of my life so I think that helped get things rolling.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered

negative 1.5 years

my first was before I knew what lucid dreaming was
      Lang likes this.

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class

I think I taught myself to lucid dream as a way of escaping nightmares when I was little. At least I developed and implemented 'strategies' for escaping monsters, which probably wouldn't have worked if I hadn't been at least a bit lucid. But when I sat down to read LaBerge's book and teach myself how it was really done, I remember I had some successes pretty quickly...given that it was a library book on a 2-week loan, I was probably lucid dreaming within a few weeks.
      Lang likes this.

da best Random Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made Friends on DV

DJ Entries
      I haven't have one yet, but I've been doing well and I am extremely close to having one. (I use to have it where I said 2 LDs, But I have realized That those where dreams about LDing)

loves the moon
      Quote Originally Posted by Hukif View Post
      8 years to freaking induce one single lucid, but it was worth it yep.
      Same, but without a real lucid dream yet. I've had a handful of lucid moments over the years, but they all occurred right at the end of dreams because those are the most vivid times I suppose.
      It's not like I wasn't trying my best all last year too, but it might still be 8 years for me as my 8th year is just starting and I'm still trying my best. I've had the REM-Dreamer for a couple months now, maybe it'll actually work eventually. The single sensor below the eye is pretty iffy.

But it will definitely be worth it. Don't care if it's 8 years or 80 years. ... Well, I certainly care, but my point is I won't give up.
      Last edited by Luminesce; 01-07-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      Center of the universe
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Luminesce View Post
      a handful of lucid moments over the years, but they all occurred right at the end of dreams because those are the most vivid times I suppose.
      The end of dreams, or as you're waking up? This is very common - happens to me a lot. It's because you're waking up - nothing to do with vividness. In fact lucidity itself has nothing to go with vividness, it's just awareness. The reason it happens frequently just as you're waking up is because your conscious mind is starting to go online while you're still dreaming. The dream is ending, sleep is concluding, but for just a moment it's like the sun and moon are both in the sky at the same time. Usually this kind of lucidity is very weird and unstable because the dream is falling apart. Pretty frustrating.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Vivid Dream Journal
      LD Count
      México
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Luminesce View Post
      Same, but without a real lucid dream yet. I've had a handful of lucid moments over the years, but they all occurred right at the end of dreams because those are the most vivid times I suppose.
      It's not like I wasn't trying my best all last year too, but it might still be 8 years for me as my 8th year is just starting and I'm still trying my best. I've had the REM-Dreamer for a couple months now, maybe it'll actually work eventually. The single sensor below the eye is pretty iffy.

But it will definitely be worth it. Don't care if it's 8 years or 80 years. ... Well, I certainly care, but my point is I won't give up.
      I know the feeling bro. It certainly is frustrating.
      At least you are having lucid moments. All I had was normal dreams straight for those 8 years

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast