• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 22 of 22
    Like Tree9Likes
    • 2 Post By lilfrankster101
    • 1 Post By Mosake
    • 1 Post By ty4TheAdventure
    • 1 Post By gab
    • 1 Post By Taffy
    • 1 Post By lilfrankster101
    • 1 Post By gab
    • 1 Post By LucidRaider

    Thread: ever tried staying up all night to lucid dream?

    1. #1
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11

      Lightbulb ever tried staying up all night to lucid dream?

      -This is pretty long, but I promise you won't regret reading it

      Ok first of all don't try to stop me, minds set on doing this. Anyways im planning on staying up all night then go to sleep at like 5 or 6 am. The plan is to keep awareness while laying down after staying up the night(which should be easy because im going to exercise or do some math problem to get my mind a little awake).

      Im sure this is going to work, at least for me because, i've found that i had more success with LD when my body is really tired. i know one of the risks is obviously sleep deprivation and i've concluded that this technique isnt something i'll perform day by day. if i am successful, i'll only do this once or twice a month (which is way more frequent than the amount of lucid dreams i get now [one every other month]). Another risk can probably be that it will affect your normal sleep cycle. I don't think thats a problem because you can always re-adjust. A problem that some of you might also find is that when you try it your body will go to deep sleep 1st and not REM cycle. i think it doesn't matter though because having lucids during deep sleep phase isn't impossible and it might even be very likely under these circumstances.

      It'll be nice if some other people here on this site can try this test TONIGHT if your not doing anything tomorrow. A few trials would make the results more accurate, especially because i cant deprive myself of sleep 2 nights in a row. If you're willing to help out and stay up the night with me, pm me or reply here. again, if this work, you must note that doing this every day just isn't practical. At the very least, you should do it on weekends.

      Lastly, I would like it if I can take credit for this technique if it works and give this technique a name. i want to see if this will work first before thinking about it though. I will also give credit for those who will participate in this experiment.

      -thank you for taking time to read this. Any questions, concerns, or lab rats are welcomed
      LucidRaider and Kage64 like this.

    2. #2
      Upside down Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      Taffy's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      LD Count
      ~40
      Gender
      Posts
      1,416
      Likes
      807
      DJ Entries
      163
      Sleep deprivation is a rather commonly used tactic when it comes to lucid dreaming. It basically takes all of the REM you missed and, when you finally go to sleep, stacks up. It's called a REM rebound.

    3. #3
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
      Sleep deprivation is a rather commonly used tactic when it comes to lucid dreaming. It basically takes all of the REM you missed and, when you finally go to sleep, stacks up. It's called a REM rebound.
      so you think this might work Taffy? i'm trying regardless Would you like to deprive yourself of sleep tonight for the name of lucididty?

    4. #4
      Upside down Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      Taffy's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      LD Count
      ~40
      Gender
      Posts
      1,416
      Likes
      807
      DJ Entries
      163
      Quote Originally Posted by lilfrankster101 View Post
      so you think this might work Taffy? i'm trying regardless Would you like to deprive yourself of sleep tonight for the name of lucididty?
      Meh, I'm already exhausted as it is. I'd pass out halfway through. I have a strong feeling that it will work for you, though, since the one time I've tried it in the past I've actually gotten lucid.

    5. #5
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11
      Thanks Taffy, and no problem

    6. #6
      Member Mosake's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      LD Count
      A lot
      Gender
      Location
      Southern CA
      Posts
      31
      Likes
      3
      Seeing as I'm staying up for 24 hours starting at 10 AM today, I'll give this a go when I take a nap tomorrow at 10am. I'll let you know if I get any results or not.
      lilfrankster101 likes this.

    7. #7
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosake View Post
      Seeing as I'm staying up for 24 hours starting at 10 AM today, I'll give this a go when I take a nap tomorrow at 10am. I'll let you know if I get any results or not.
      thanks Mosake. thats one lab rat. muahahaha

    8. #8
      Member Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      LD Count
      Lost Count
      Gender
      Posts
      470
      Likes
      515
      Yea, but for me it was unintentional!

      I used to pull many overnighters for exams, and would come back around some time in the afternoon, completely exhausted and so I would fall asleep. However, a majority of these times, I would not lose consciousness and instead, I ended up in sleep paralysis. I absolutely HATED this because I just wanted to rest and SP, for me, often comes with all sorts of strange hypnagogia. Sometimes frightening and other times just confusing.

      I learned to start WILDing through these experiences. However, whenever I woke up from non-lucids afterwards, I usually thought I overslept WAY passed the exam time and then I'd freak out for the first few minutes!
      lilfrankster101 likes this.
      Stop Panic[/FONT]

    9. #9
      Lucid Dreamer Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Veteran Second Class
      siuol's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      LD Count
      40
      Gender
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      418
      Likes
      92
      DJ Entries
      42
      Usually every monday I'm doing hmwk untill 5, I only get 2 hours of sleep afterwards but I do have dreams during it, which is good for only 2 hours. If I had longer there would probably be results but I don't feel like staying up tonight, so sorry I can't help.
      Lucid Dreaming since 3/30/10

    10. #10
      Member Kage64's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      LD Count
      三 (3) (I
      Gender
      Location
      東京、日本 (I wish)
      Posts
      18
      Likes
      7
      DJ Entries
      5
      Ive tried it before and definataly got positive resaults. (sry for bad spelling im tired)

    11. #11
      gab
      USA gab is offline
      Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      gab's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      LD Count
      306 events
      Gender
      Location
      California Republic
      Posts
      9,574
      Likes
      10552
      DJ Entries
      783
      The idea behind it is solid, as after sleep deprivation you go practically straight to REM. That's because you missed out on regular REM. If you don't mind taking supplements, REM rebound can be achieved by taking 5-HTP you can buy in drugstore without prescription. You take it before going to sleep and for about 4-5 hours, it will supress your REM part of the sleep. So in later part of your sleep your REMs are longer, thus your dreams are longer and possibly more vivid, so you have better chance of geting lucid. This will work even better, if you do a WBTB, for both WILD and MILD/DILD. happy dreams

    12. #12
      Upside down Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      Taffy's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      LD Count
      ~40
      Gender
      Posts
      1,416
      Likes
      807
      DJ Entries
      163
      Quote Originally Posted by niteLite View Post
      Yea, but for me it was unintentional!

      I used to pull many overnighters for exams, and would come back around some time in the afternoon, completely exhausted and so I would fall asleep. However, a majority of these times, I would not lose consciousness and instead, I ended up in sleep paralysis. I absolutely HATED this because I just wanted to rest and SP, for me, often comes with all sorts of strange hypnagogia. Sometimes frightening and other times just confusing.

      I learned to start WILDing through these experiences. However, whenever I woke up from non-lucids afterwards, I usually thought I overslept WAY passed the exam time and then I'd freak out for the first few minutes!
      Screw studying, I'm doing a WILD!
      niteLite likes this.

    13. #13
      Member Mosake's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      LD Count
      A lot
      Gender
      Location
      Southern CA
      Posts
      31
      Likes
      3
      Well, tried to do this after being deprived of sleep for 24 hours as I said I would, and I had no luck, I don't even know if I dreamed or not. Simply did what I usually do to WILD, closed my eyes and started to relax and next thing I know my alarm is going off telling me my nap is over.

    14. #14
      Member Robot_Butler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Tons
      Gender
      Location
      Bay Area, California
      Posts
      6,320
      Likes
      797
      DJ Entries
      75
      I used to miss a lot of sleep. I would stay awake for two or three days on end. It wouldn't always lead to lucid dreams, but it would always lead to CRAZY dreams. Be careful. Sometimes people sleep walk, or do strange stuff when they are sleep deprived.

      My friend just got back from a trip. She hadn't slept for a while, and hadn't slept well for even longer. Halfway through the night, she freaked out, jumped out of bed, starting talking about weird stuff, tripped on the furniture, and fell hard.

      One time, I woke up in the middle of the night terrified my captors would beat me if I woke them to use the bathroom. I peed in the Brita pitcher.

    15. #15
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosake View Post
      Well, tried to do this after being deprived of sleep for 24 hours as I said I would, and I had no luck, I don't even know if I dreamed or not. Simply did what I usually do to WILD, closed my eyes and started to relax and next thing I know my alarm is going off telling me my nap is over.
      thanks for your help Mosake. last night was a little bumpy for me. im pretty satisfied with my results though. ok heres what happened: i watch movies to pass the time all the way up to 4:00. i planned on staying up until 5 but decided to go with 4 (im just simply impatient). I close my eyes for about 30 seconds and then i how a "whooshing" sound that gradually gets louder. i ended up opening my eyes and the sound stops. the thing was that i wasnt even trying to WILD yet. i just wanted to close my eyes for a little bit just to gather my thought. im amazed that i heard audio hallucination just from me keeping my eyes close for a little bit. ii wasnt even necessarily comfortable. just still. anyways, as i said, i opened my eyes and the sound stops. i close my eyes to try to hear the HH again with no luck. I end up falling asleep, and like you Mosake dont remember any of my dreams. i consider this a success however. i was able to hear hallucination with just bout 30 seconds of shut eye. if i had kept my eyes closed, i'm sure i would have gotten more interesting results. i will try this experiment again in exactly one week. i would love it if some other people here can help out and try themselves.

    16. #16
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Robot_Butler View Post
      I used to miss a lot of sleep. I would stay awake for two or three days on end. It wouldn't always lead to lucid dreams, but it would always lead to CRAZY dreams. Be careful. Sometimes people sleep walk, or do strange stuff when they are sleep deprived.

      My friend just got back from a trip. She hadn't slept for a while, and hadn't slept well for even longer. Halfway through the night, she freaked out, jumped out of bed, starting talking about weird stuff, tripped on the furniture, and fell hard.

      One time, I woke up in the middle of the night terrified my captors would beat me if I woke them to use the bathroom. I peed in the Brita pitcher.
      lmao, thats why im planning on doing this only about twice a month so i dont go insane~ . haha

    17. #17
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by gab View Post
      The idea behind it is solid, as after sleep deprivation you go practically straight to REM. That's because you missed out on regular REM. If you don't mind taking supplements, REM rebound can be achieved by taking 5-HTP you can buy in drugstore without prescription. You take it before going to sleep and for about 4-5 hours, it will supress your REM part of the sleep. So in later part of your sleep your REMs are longer, thus your dreams are longer and possibly more vivid, so you have better chance of geting lucid. This will work even better, if you do a WBTB, for both WILD and MILD/DILD. happy dreams
      5- HTP? can you please tell me more about this. is it similar to melatonin?

    18. #18
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Kage64 View Post
      Ive tried it before and definataly got positive resaults. (sry for bad spelling im tired)
      i'll love to hear your experience with this topic.

    19. #19
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by siuol View Post
      Usually every monday I'm doing hmwk untill 5, I only get 2 hours of sleep afterwards but I do have dreams during it, which is good for only 2 hours. If I had longer there would probably be results but I don't feel like staying up tonight, so sorry I can't help.
      No problem man. keep an eye out on this topic.

    20. #20
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Posts
      37
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by niteLite View Post
      Yea, but for me it was unintentional!

      I used to pull many overnighters for exams, and would come back around some time in the afternoon, completely exhausted and so I would fall asleep. However, a majority of these times, I would not lose consciousness and instead, I ended up in sleep paralysis. I absolutely HATED this because I just wanted to rest and SP, for me, often comes with all sorts of strange hypnagogia. Sometimes frightening and other times just confusing.


      I learned to start WILDing through these experiences. However, whenever I woke up from non-lucids afterwards, I usually thought I overslept WAY passed the exam time and then I'd freak out for the first few minutes!
      thanks nitelite!!
      niteLite likes this.

    21. #21
      gab
      USA gab is offline
      Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      gab's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      LD Count
      306 events
      Gender
      Location
      California Republic
      Posts
      9,574
      Likes
      10552
      DJ Entries
      783
      Quote Originally Posted by lilfrankster101 View Post
      5- HTP? can you please tell me more about this. is it similar to melatonin?
      5-HTP (5 hydroxytryptophan) is the direct metabolic precursor of seratonin and it's important for the production of melatonin. (it says it on the bottle).

    22. #22
      Is any of this for real? Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class
      LucidRaider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      LD Count
      34
      Gender
      Location
      ∂яєαмℓαи∂...
      Posts
      261
      Likes
      97
      DJ Entries
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by lilfrankster101 View Post
      thanks Mosake. thats one lab rat. muahahaha
      rofl!!!!
      your funny.
      all aside, I think this is a good idea! <3
      lilfrankster101 likes this.
      ~ wonk uoy naht noitceffa erom deen I ~

    Similar Threads

    1. I'm staying up all night. What can I do tomrrow to become lucid?
      By Tobias A. in forum Attaining Lucidity
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 12-21-2008, 06:02 PM
    2. Staying in a lucid dream
      By LoveDeathTravel in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 04-15-2008, 04:49 AM
    3. Staying Up All Night Huh?
      By seaoharrwhy in forum Senseless Banter
      Replies: 31
      Last Post: 03-12-2007, 12:51 AM
    4. Staying lucid longer, by staying in a common place?
      By tryured in forum Attaining Lucidity
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 06-08-2005, 08:46 AM
    5. Staying in a Lucid dream?
      By CharlesKennedy in forum Dream Control
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 03-31-2005, 10:40 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •