• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Budapest

Best book you've ever read.

What are the best books you've ever read? Give a description of them as well.

Fight Club

A book that questions the power that the everyday man has. A very unique style.

The Northern Lights

A great fantasy book. Superbly written with believable characters and an interesting plot.
      Last edited by Goldney; 06-01-2007 at 11:06 PM.
      *............*............*

AIDS ,CA
      The Voyage of The Jerle Shannara All of the series! 3 in that one. The best fantasy books ive EVER read!!

The Third Policeman by Flann O'brien. Fantastic! Strange, funny, clever, well written.

Although i'm reading Molloy by Samuel Beckett at the moment, and it could surpass The Third Policeman. Beckett just has a way with words.

Undisclosed location

So many to choose from

Hmmm. I have not read any of those.

I am typically not a thrill seeking fiction reader. But I was truly enthrawled with Koontz's "Intensity."

ETWOLD Too!!!!

pj
      Wow - sooo many good books.

Nothing approaches The Lord Of The Rings series for incredibly well thought out and constructed fantasy.

Nothing approaches Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series for Scifi Lunacy.

I am reading and thoroughly enjoying Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance right now. Good book.

And then for a clear view of reality, there's my all-time favorite by Ayn Rand: Atlas Shrugged

If I had to pick just one book to have with me on a desert island, though, it would be The Bible.
      On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.
      --Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Raised and raised by Eligos
      Dream Journal
      The Fine Print: Unless otherwise stated, the views expressed are MINE.

AIDS ,CA
      Hey pj if you want to read a fantasy book better than LOTR then read the Shannara series, I absolutely love The Hobbit but The Voyage of The Jerle Shannara DESTROYS it 1/10, im not even close to joking. But you have to be patient in the beginnings cause it tells the prologue, sort of.

Xox
      cloudless climes
      DJ Entries
      harry potter! lol and
      money power respect

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
      Hey pj if you want to read a fantasy book better than LOTR then read the Shannara series, I absolutely love The Hobbit but The Voyage of The Jerle Shannara DESTROYS it 1/10, im not even close to joking. But you have to be patient in the beginnings cause it tells the prologue, sort of.
      Thank you for the recommendation!

The Hobbit was actually pretty flawed. He got his act together big time before tackling the rest. If you haven't read those, you owe it to yourself.

I will make note of the Shannara series. I only usually read one or two fiction books each year, because they are so hard for me to put down once I start if they are good. (I read a LOT of non-fiction.) A series makes this tendency even worse.

Dune wiped out most of a summer for me some years back.

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

AIDS ,CA
      So would you reccomend dune?

AIDS ,CA
      Yeah the Shannara series is extremely good and I think flawless. Theres had to of been A LOT of thinking before Terry Brooks wrote it. They're also pretty damn
      gory. For instance.(exact quote from The First King) " Then the Warlock Lord nodded, and the Skull Bearer struck with terrible swiftness, tearing Athabasca's heart from his chest while he still lived. The Druid threw back his head and shrieked as his chest exploded, then slumped forward and died. For several long moments the Warlock Lord held him suspended over his fellows like a rag doll, the blood draining from his body.He swung him this way and that, back and forth, and finally let him drop to the stone in a sodden mass of ruined flesh and bone."

Yeah pretty gory!

Banned
      Utah
      The Book of Mormon

little mexico
      the blood meridian by cormac mccarthy.
      clear eyes. strong hands.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

Seattle, WA
      I can't just pick one, it's gotta be split by genre in some way...

- Sci-fi: Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card

- Philosophical thought-provoking: Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid, by Douglas Hofstadter

- Funny fantasy novel: tie between Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams and Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman.

- Sorta spiritual Novel: The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho (his works are all really good)

- Political: Don't Think of an Elephant, by George Lakoff

- Cyberpunk: Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson

...too... many... books!! hehe

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
      So would you reccomend dune?
      Oh yeah - all the ones written by Frank. Skip all the rest.

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

The Netherlands
      I feel like such a retard now.

(I need to read more books)
      “What a peculiar privilege has this little agitation of the brain which we call 'thought'” -Hume

ıpǝɾǝɔɹnos
      Go forth and read... Hmm, the ones that first spring to mind have been taken. I'm hard pushed to beat Enders Game.

Replicon only mentioned Good Omens, but I think Terry Pratchett is worth a post in his own right. The first few books in his Diskworld universe are fairly run of the mill humorous fantasy, though still well written. But he seems to get better with each book, striking further out from the beaten path to bring you a world suspiciously like our own. And there's a lot of better to get; there are about 30 of his books in this room with me.

Monstrous Regiment is probably the most distinctive of the last few Discworld novels. A slightly disturbing take on female equality, war and modernisation and utterly hilarious to boot.

In terms of books solely mainly for kids, I have yet to work out why So You Want To Be A Wizard and the books that follow it aren't more popular (compared to, for example, a certain female writer in the same genre who I shall refer to only as Rowling).

On a journey
      The Hobbit is not flawed! It beats the Lord of the Rings by far simply for its elusive fantasy nature. In the Lord of the Rings series it's a straight out story about the war of the Ring. In the Hobbit it's an intriguing fantasy tale where everything is hidden - things are spoken of lightly that hint at great events and such but they are kept within an elusive wrap that keeps intrigue present.

But, aye, the best books I've ever read are The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series.

Member Achievements:
      Bay Area, CA (USA)
      Quote Originally Posted by Merlock View Post
      But, aye, the best books I've ever read are The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series.
      I was very happy to have read them as well. I'm not a big book reader, but after watching the second movie, I couldn't wait for the third movie to come out. Since I worked at a bookstore at the time, I bought, and read The Hobbit and LOTR in a few months, before the third movie came out. Great books!

Adopted: mystqjaq
      Raised by: Seeker
      My Dream Journal | My Aquarium | Myspace | Facebook Me | Stickam

platypus Achievements:
      1 year registered Made Friends on DV Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

Fever 1793
      Hawaiian....nuff sed.

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by Merlock View Post
      The Hobbit is not flawed! It beats the Lord of the Rings by far simply for its elusive fantasy nature. In the Lord of the Rings series it's a straight out story about the war of the Ring. In the Hobbit it's an intriguing fantasy tale where everything is hidden - things are spoken of lightly that hint at great events and such but they are kept within an elusive wrap that keeps intrigue present.
      Tolkien himself would have said otherwise, and in fact had to go back and do some changing to make The Hobbit more consistent with what would come after it. The Hobbit was a beginning. "Flawed" doesn't make it a bad book... it just isn't in the same league as the rest of 'em.

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

Member Achievements:

Seattle, WA
      OH how could I forget: The Catcher in the Rye, by Salinger. That was a great read.

I'm gonna get killed for this, but I think Tolkien's a crappy writer. Don't get me wrong, his story is brilliantly marvelous, but the movies were better than the books. I read the Hobbit, and the three Rings books, but they didn't do all that much for me. It felt like it was drawn out and stretched thin, and the writing style was not keeping me motivated. It's nothing for tokien's ghost to be ashamed of. I mean, George Lucas comes up with amazing stories, but his directing skills suck balls. Same kind of thing hehe.

Atashermi
      Dune is probably the best book I've read to date. I've only read the first three books, but I fully intend to read at least the next two.

And just out of personal preference (and the fact that I'm reading one of her newest books right now), I'd say that Robin Hobb is absolutely one of the best fantasy authors of our day! If you haven't read any of her books, start with "Assassin's Apprentice" (her first major book) and read through her trilogies. There's the Farseer Trilogy, the Lifeship Traders trilogy, and The Tawny Man trilogy (which picks up where Farseer left off).... I was upset when I went into Barnes and Noble, though, as they didn't have a copy of "Forest Mage," the next book in the trilogy I'm on. *crosses arms*

I'll also throw in another vote for Ender's Game.

Also, if any Christian women haven't read "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers, find a way to get that book! It will be well worth your time.

"If there was one thing the lucid dreaming ninja writer could not stand, it was used car salesmen."

Vancouver Washington

my favorite book ever!

The Time Travelers Wife. Enthralling. It will stay with you for a long time.

"O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Central Florida
      DJ Entries
      Off the top of my head, it was probably either:

Anne Rice's Memnoch, the Devil from The Vampire Chronicles - Best book in the series, that I've read so far. It's about Lestat's 'descent' into atheism and being subsequently stalked by a being who claims to be the Devil. He is then taken, consciously, through time to experience the timeline of holy events, throughout history. It's badass. Anne Rice has one of the most immersive writing styles I've read, and it Really sucks you in, in this book.

Preston & Childs' Brimstone - Really good detective novel that begins with a high-profile murder case where the victim's body was seemingly burned from the inside out - eventually leaving nothing but a crucifix necklace, untouched, on the charred body. The door was locked from the inside, the entire room reeks of sulphur and there is a single hoof-print scorched into the floor. A genius of a detective and scholar, Agent Aloysius Pendergast, then goes on this case to find the killer. Once news of the story gets out, and other murders of the same type begin happening, many believe it is the Devil, himself and an almost pre-apocalyptic hysteria breaks out. Others remain skeptical and refuse to believe any supernatural explanations. Really tight book and written in a very illustrious (but with a subtly- and refreshingly-urban) tone. I'm reading the sequel, now, which is called Dance of Death, where Agent Pendergast's brother, Diogenes, who is like the Anti-Aloysius - in that he is just as much a criminal genius as Aloysius is a detective genius - vows to commit his prophecized "perfect crime" if Aloysius and his partner can't stop him.

or

Michael Crichton's The Lost World - Much better than the movie (of course). Not too much detail to say about this one, as it's been years since I've read it. It was very detailed, and enthralling, though. Couldn't put it down. I once fell asleep while reading it till like 3 in the morning and had a dream about the portion I was reading (where the huge truck is hanging over the cliff - for those that have read it or seen the movie). Crichton has a great sense of suspense and some of the chases and attacks that the characters (who are all very well developed) go through are outstanding; one of which being a motorcycle chase through the fields to grab a key from around a sprinting velociraptor's neck. Probably the best part of the entire book, but that's a pretty bold claim, since the whole thing was so good. I'd like to read it again, now that I think about it.
      Last edited by Oneironaut Zero; 06-03-2007 at 12:01 PM.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

United Kingdom
      "IT" by Stephen King
      Ninjas killed my family, need money for kung-fu lessons

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast