• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Thread: waking life

dreamer

waking life

continuing my lucid-themed film run (after The Science Of Sleep), i just finished watching Waking Life (2001).

if you haven't seen it it's about a guy stuck in a lucid dream and he keeps having false awakenings. he doesn't know what to do so he just wonders around and sees if he can learn anything by talking to his DCs. they mostly talk about philosophical subjects.

oh, and the entire film's been drawn over to look like a cartoon.
      but that's really a minor point here.

am i the only one who's seen this film?
      has anyone else learnt anything deep and insightful from their DCs?

i find it difficult to actually have an intellectual conversation with DCs. mostly mine seem to talk about themselves. or they just answer a question with a question...

Wales
      Quote Originally Posted by jeopardy2k7 View Post
      continuing my lucid-themed film run (after The Science Of Sleep), i just finished watching Waking Life (2001).

if you haven't seen it it's about a guy stuck in a lucid dream and he keeps having false awakenings. he doesn't know what to do so he just wonders around and sees if he can learn anything by talking to his DCs. they mostly talk about philosophical subjects.

i find it difficult to actually have an intellectual conversation with DCs. mostly mine seem to talk about themselves. or they just answer a question with a question...
      I'm sure many others have seen this film on Dream Views, i have just downloaded it so i will be watching it soon along with The Good Night. I haven't learned much from them but i have learnt that they can be very annoying, but also very tidy. I often converse with them and can have really fascinating conversations with them.

LD Count
      i/0
      Canada
      Yeah, thats a popular film around here. Personally, I didn't find it to give altogether too much insight but some of the analogies were good. Like the crayons =)

Neither Here nor There TravelerBetweenWorlds's Avatar
      In my mind only
      That movie is a classic amongst LDers... I havent had any conversations i can call "enlightening" with DCs... and most of it i cant remember in detail...

One observation though: have you noticed he is actually DEAD in the film, and the lucid dream is the "afterwards" of his death? At leats thats my interpretation...
      I support gay marriage... but only if both chicks are hot!

dreamer
      i think that's just something he comes to suspect rather than the whole truth...

honestly though, i thought Science of Sleep was a better film. For me the best thing about Waking Life was the style and visual imagery. which isn't really perfect - i'd seen A Scanner Darkly before this which is directed by the same director but uses a much improved-cartoonising technique.

by comparison, things in waking life constantly seem to be moving around and they do very much colour outside the lines. A Scanner Darkly is far more realistic, and has more of a plot (about drugs)...

kansas
      Quote Originally Posted by jeopardy2k7 View Post

that flicks what got me into lucid dreaming.

i actually met the main character, wiley wiggins (his actual name) and talked to him about this stuff before. the guys actually had LD's before which i found cool

but yeah tahts my favorite movie. check out my signature even lol
      LD's-11
      DILD's-9
      WILD's-2

super perfundo, on the early eve of your day!

Neither Here nor There TravelerBetweenWorlds's Avatar
      In my mind only
      i think the technique in W.Life is supposed to be less 'real' than S.Darkly, or perhpas is just an improvement on the software...

in fact, SDarkly is not a movie "about LD" so there is really no comparison in terms of plot etc.

"Science of Sleep" is a masterpiece, really great movie (from the same director of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, another fantastic movie, get it if you havent already!)... but i really think you cant compare them...
      I support gay marriage... but only if both chicks are hot!

LD Count
      Innumerable
      MA.
      Good flick reminded me of me. I always have a hard time determining whats real and dream. I enjoyed the style of it too.

Watch "Spirited away" Nother good film, the spirit world/real world is pretty much the same as the real world/dreamworld
      "A knight is sworn to valor.
      His heart knows only virtue.
      His blade defends the helpless.
      His might upholds the weak.
      His word speaks only truth.
      His wrath undoes the wicked."

Impossible is only that which has yet to be imagined