• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Magnum
      Canada

Waking Life (the movie)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/

A really amazing movie. I strongly recommend it for anyone interested in philosphy/dreaming.

which I'm sure many people here are

If you've seen it, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

LD Count
      maryland
      A lot of people have posted on here about that movie, so you might want to search for their posts on it, but I saw it and it was very interesting.

Magnum
      Canada
      oh awesome! i'll go look around

Spoooky, I'm watching it right now!

Magnum
      Canada
      ooooooh.

well enjoy, haha.

first time watching it?

Yes, I've got about 30 minutes left!

Magnum
      Canada
      it stays good all the way through

I love that movie, not only is the content just about the most interesting thing Ive ever seen, but the graphic design is amazing. One of my favorite movies of all time.
      Pardon me while I burn,
      and rise above the flames.
      Helpless as a stinger without a bee.

Goals: -see a new color-----Properly stabilize my dreams--

Magnum
      Canada
      it's the kind of movie I could watch over and over again and still benefit from it.

I absolutely loved the animation, but I think sometimes it was distracting. I don't mind though. It gave me reason to watch the scenes again, haha.

I wonder how they did it. I'm not really familiar with that kind of stuff. Because they filmed the movie first and then animated it. anyway, amazing stuff, really.

DJ Entries
      If you want to see what they can do with that animation style now, watch 'A Scanner Darkly." I believe the same production team and they improved their style drastically, not quite as philosophical as "Waking Life" though. Also the animation style is called Rotoscope, first the movie is shot live action then edited, I do not know much about the editing process however.
      Last edited by Eyeofnight; 01-07-2009 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryOrdinary View Post
      it's the kind of movie I could watch over and over again and still benefit from it.

I absolutely loved the animation, but I think sometimes it was distracting. I don't mind though. It gave me reason to watch the scenes again, haha.

I wonder how they did it. I'm not really familiar with that kind of stuff. Because they filmed the movie first and then animated it. anyway, amazing stuff, really.
      What they did was, after filming the scenes in live action, they used a special art software to draw over the video, frame-by-frame, all by hand. Because they did it by hand the lines are different in each frame and it gives it that effect. I love the atmosphere it gives the entire thing.
      Pardon me while I burn,
      and rise above the flames.
      Helpless as a stinger without a bee.

Goals: -see a new color-----Properly stabilize my dreams--

Magnum
      Canada
      I thought it might be something like that, drawing over the actual frames. But i wasn't sure if it was possible.

and I've been trying to find A Scanner Darkly for a while. As much as I get frustrated with Keanu Reeves sometimes, I have to appreciate his coolness for making indie movies.

Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      New Zea-la-land
      Hey let me know if you find a link to A Scanner Darkly! I forgot that movie exists.. gotta watch!

I totally didn't know they filmed Waking Life live action first. Cool!

Lurker
      Philadelphia
      I wanted to start a topic containing interpretations for this movie but I figured there is no reason in making another topic about this movie after the previous 30 but since this new one is here, I'm thinking you guys and gals might not mind me changing the direction here a bit. I really would like to know what you guys think of this movie in a more introspective way.

Boatcar intro-I think this has to do with the ludicrous nature of dreams. I liked it, reminds me of my weird dreams. I think it is supposed to be a cue for a lucid dream like..."ok..it's a boat..and a car...this must be a dream"

Blond woman in the house-She discussed "ideas" such as love and anger, what you cannot physically touch or comprehend for that matter. This really makes one realize the ineffectiveness of words. I can sit here on my laptop at nearly midnight now and say I was moved by this movie (disregard the pun). You would all interpret that in a different way. "By moved does he mean he thoroughly enjoyed and understood the movie or moved as in his whole life is forever changed after watching this movie...etc". She is right, words are useless.

The scene with the two ladies in the cafe- The one talked about reaching a "plateau" in life, somewhere in her 30's where her life would just settle down. I realized this is how I always thought it would be for myself as well. She goes on to say mans inquisitive nature leads us to always be "up to" something. This really got me thinking as to what I might be doing with my life when I am older.

The red guy in jail-Someone else can feel free to shed some light on this, I did not understand the placement of this scene at all

Guy who lights himself on fire- I understood the self destructive nature of man bit but not much else.

Asian (?) guy on roof top- For some reason I think it has to about suicide. "same pattern over and over", "nothing here for me now, nothing at all"

You know what? I think it would be nearly pointless for me to put all this organization into this. How about we just discuss?

LD Count
      Over 9,000
      If I had a nickel for every time a waking life thread was created...
      Things are not as they seem

Agazian

Guy on roof

Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post

Asian (?) guy on roof top- For some reason I think it has to about suicide. "same pattern over and over", "nothing here for me now, nothing at all"
      In my opinion the guy is an enlightened being, he has finished the cycles of rebirth & is moving on to the next level.

Agazian

Guy on roof

Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post

I dont think it is about suicide, In my opinion the guy is an enlightened being, he has finished the cycles of rebirth & is moving on to the next level. you know like buddha or christ.

Lurker
      Philadelphia
      That's a good thought, I never considered it like that. Seems more reasonable than my idea.

Member Achievements:
      5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      it's just a DC expressing some facet of the dreamers subconsciousness.
      TAKE DV members advice with caution! some have had zero or 1-2 LD's yet act like gurus
      TOTAL LD's (almost all DILD/MILD) =160!!
      new goals: have more LD's than Shift[X]
      10-15min LD [ X] Article: A day in the life of an LD-er
      the "Mind V.S. Body" Induction technique
      Everyman 2 LD's/ sleep schedule progress

Magnum
      Canada
      I kind of thought that the whole jail scene represented just how much anger and hate imprisons you.

and consumes you. and all that.