• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Things To Run Away From Really Fast!

Adversary Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      DJ Entries

Things To Run Away From Really Fast!

...or Samael's Dream Journal.

I believe I've already established myself as a somewhat flaky individual who spends far too much time looking for wiki articles to link to, so let's jump straight in, shall we?

I love to discuss my dreams, and tear them apart to reveal their innards. This is all in fun, so please go ahead and leave a comment.

I briefly considered colour coding before realizing that I had no idea how nightmares would overlap with normal, semi-lucid, and lucid states. Most of my dreams are semi-lucid anyway. Almost all of my nightmares are. A typical scene:

"I'm dreaming; you can't hurt me."
      "Yooouuu reeeeally thiiiink sooooo?"
      "...you're creepy as fuck, you realize that?"

What follows is usually an epic battle to the death.

In its place, I have the Scariness Meter. Ratings go from 1 (flowers and rainbows and kittens) to 10 (I run out of the house and spend the rest of the night in a 24-hour fast food restaurant drinking terrible hot cocoa).

Edit: Dreams are now non-lucidsemilucidlucid

Quote Originally Posted by Recurring Characters
      The Lunar God: Usually appears as an old man, doesn't seem to like me much. Tried to kill me at least once, may have accepted a truce. (00A, 19, 29, 34)

Johanna: Because I can't keep Mia Wasikowska and Jayne Wisener straight. Resembles both actresses, tends to appear as a friend and ally and occasional enemy. (19, 21, 49, 58)

Elaine: First showed up in June 2009. (4, 34)
      Quote Originally Posted by Recurring Alternate Me's
      Lucifer: started off as the actual fallen-angel ruler of hell. Has since evolved into an entirely different character: a personification of certain aspects I admire in the story. (00B, 4, 19, 31, 35, 43, 44, 54, 62)
      Quote Originally Posted by Recurring Fictional Characters
      Angel (31, 59)
      Batgirl/Barbara Gordon (33, 35)
      Batman/Bruce Wayne (26, 63)
      Buffy (31)
      Carlton Lassiter (2)
      Castiel (33)
      Dean Winchester (5, 8, 35, 39, 52)
      Harry Potter (8, 50)
      Jack O'Neill (35)
      Joker (34)
      Kate Beckett (27, 37)
      Linkara (64)
      Mac (The Dresden Files) (34)
      Mazikeen (62)
      Sam Carter (35, 42)
      Sam Winchester (8, 39, 52)
      Shawn Spencer (2, 36)
      Quote Originally Posted by Recurring Actors/Celebrities
      Eliza Dushku (44)
      Jensen Ackles (27)
      Johnny Depp (22, 36)
      Misha Collins (48, 57, 62)
      Robert Downey Jr. (36)
      Quote Originally Posted by Recurring People
      Ben: My brother. Bad driver. (9, 29, 32, 44, 59)
      Mom: Occasionally has superpowers. (9, 44, 59)
      Dad: Self-explanatory. (9, 59)
      Quote Originally Posted by Recurring Places
      Quickton: Nickname for the town I'm living in.
      Ixburg: Nickname for my hometown.
      Others: Halifax, Vancouver, Squamish.
      Quote Originally Posted by Recurring Themes
      Bright Blue Energy (49, 59, 62)
      Orange Lighting (19, 27, 41)
      My Own Neutral/Dark Energy (44, 62)
      Zombies (43, 60)
      Quote Originally Posted by DV Members
      Walms, trying to find (46, 47, 51, 55, 60, 61)
      Walms, actual appearances (47)
      Loaf (63)
      MoSH (63)
      Serenity (63, 65)
      Things to Run Away From Really Fast:

#00A: First Appearances. I need to get away, because something horrible is about to happen. First appearance of The Lunar God. 9.

#00B: Bureaucratic Hell. My name is Lucifer, and I'm busy. 3.

#1. The Other Mother. I talk to my mom about dream interpretation, but she turns out to be the monster from Coraline. 6.

#2. Doomed Underwater Research Stations. As Shawn Spencer, I argue with Lassiter about how to escape from a flooding underwater station. 3.

#3. High School Classmates Near Water. We're supposed to be swimming, but most of the group is just standing on the shore, crowded together in a circle. 2.

#4. The Narrator. The devil, Sam, curses Sleeping Beauty with infinite will, which backfires when she's faced with a runaway princess several years later. 2.

#5. Bad Fanfiction. As Dean Winchester, I try to find Sam Winchester, only to be thwarted by The Trickster in an alternate dimension. 2.

#6. Mental Institutions with Lax Security. A little girl tries to save her fellow patients, but may actually be the one committing the murders. 2.

#7. Allegiant Little Kids. I hang out with the Nostalgia Chick at my high school; kids throw rocks. 1.

#8. Pissed Off Teachers. As Harry Potter, I participate in a dueling tournament, repeatedly humiliating Snape. Fleur is impressed. 2.

#9. Family Vacations. My dad drives us through a potential horror movie. 2.

#10. Homicidal Robots. As Jubilee (X-Men), I sabotage the Sentinels in a shopping mall. 2.

#11. Third Person Narration. I have an extensive resume: spy, tomb raider, babysitter... 2.

#12. Voices Trying To Limit Your Dream Control. Water grounds my dream-powers and I almost make it to the moon. 2.

#13. Dream-Style Karate Tournaments. I almost forget my kata as I shift through one ridiculous costume after another. 3.5.

#14. Restaurants With Poor Customer Service. Also, Missiles. People fire me; people fire at me. 2.

#15. Hey, but I thought I was supposed to be the - Apparently, there's more than one devil. 2.

#16. Mortality. I'm a spectator to a previous life, in which I fatally wound my wife trying to protect her. 8.

#17. The Ninja Maid. I pose as maid service, and later blackmail an ambassador into an alliance. 2.

#18. Gravity Hack. I drift up a mountain and talk to a minotaur. 1.

#19. Alternate Perspective Disorientation. I'm the devil, I'm a driver, I'm an old lady, and Alice, and I'm talking to the Lunar God. 3.

#20. This is Your Church on Twitter. The best way to escape the clutches of the Catholic Church? Add a twitter feed to their webpage. 3.

#21. Nitwit Protagonists. My dream-avatar would like to solve the murder of her friend, who might not actually be dead yet. 3.

#22. Bible Camp. I go back in time and try not to get exorcized. I also meet Johnny Depp. Kind of. 2.

#23. Nitwit Protagonists Take 2. My protagonists bury the eggs of the monster they just destroyed. 3.

#24. Really Mad Hostages. I've been kidnapped. I attack him with a box-cutter. 3.

#25. Amestrian Conspiracies. I track down Edward Elric to warn him about a massive government conspiracy. Again. 2.

#26. Teletubbies are attacking the earth. 2.

#27. Skinwalkers. I'm a shapeshifter helping the police investigate my own disappearance. 2.

#28. Dude, Where's My Car? I remember my license plate number. 1.

#29. LG's Got a Gun. The Lunar God drops in and threatens to kill me. 4.5.

#30. City-Fusions. I'm driven through Quickton-Halifax by a crazy person, and we try to find a vegetarian restaurant. 1.

#31. Buffy, When You're Quite Possibly Evil Maybe. I get a bucket of holy water dumped on me. 2.

#32. Unconscious Desire to Move. Again. Now. Family Reunion, a plot to save "the farm". Random lucidity. 1.

#33. Familiar Places. BC tries to steal my digital photos and Castiel wants to go to Halifax. 1.

#34. Failed Interrogations. Why does the Lunar God want to kill me? 3.

#35. A Pirate's Life. You're trying to sell the combined forces of SG-1 and Lucifer into slavery? You should know better. 3.

#36. Demon Barbers, Malfunctioning Portals. Sweeney Todd chases me and I end up on an asteroid. 3.

#37. Murder Mysteries. Main character did it. 2.

#38. Witch Trials. I have to try really hard to not set this DC on fire. 2.

#39. Misogynists, Scientists, Doctors, Little Girls, Monsters, and Faeries. I run away from everything in the title. 2.

#40. Dream Games. We keep breaking the water balloons. 1.

#41. Bees. I run away from them and start jumping down stairwells. 3.

#42. Girlfriends, Dead People. I hang out with a dream-girlfriend and explore a spooky little town. 2.

#43. The Devil You Know. The devil helps out the survivors of the apocalypse. I get shot in the head. 2.

#44. I Am Legend. I kill people. In an alternate dimension, my brother is captured by vampires and my mom has superpowers. 5.

#45. Silence in the Library. The Compendium of All Human Knowledge needs a new Librarian. 2.

#46. Walmart. I try to find Walms in the parking lot. 1.

#47. Dream Goals. Three stories is too far to fall, and I give a pink rose to a pretty girl. 2.

#48. Soylent Green. A man is fed, alive and screaming, into a meat grinder. His son watches impassively. 3.5.

#49. Ghost Ship. I fight a boss battle using bright blue energy. Also, humanity isn't doing so well, post-apocalypse. 3.

#50. Oh, There Goes Gravity. An elementary school, Harry Potter, and PARKOUR! 2.

#51. Puddles. "Derek" thinks my teleportation abilities are lacking. 2.

#52. Lady Gaga. RUN AWAY! 2.

#53. Nail Polish. Do you have an appointment? 2.

#54. Riddles. I confuse "sleep-deprivation induced hallucinations" with "dreams". N/A.

#55. A CAT! Fragmented dreams include vampires, Star Wars, the Twin Towers, and random cat appearances. 3.

#56. Climbing Classes. Buildering on high school buildings. 1.

#57. Q&A. Unprofessional actor is unprofessional. 2.

#58. The Heist. Johanna and I attempt to rob an art gallery, and are thwarted when a little kid kills our catgirl. 3.

#59. The Hunt. Angel and I are tracked down by the Wild Hunt, led by the Faerie Queen Mab. 3.5

#60. Zombieland. Telekinesis + Zombies = Fun. 3.

#61. Penguins. I realize that being chased by mutant penguins isn't nearly as scary as I think it is. 3.

#62. Stray Little Devils. I try to avoid the minions/allies of another Lucifer. 2.

#63. College.I run into Loaf at an art school, and I manage to shapeshift for the first time. 2.

#64. Time Management. Six. Million. Pokemon. 2.

#65. Choosing Sides. Two southern men argue about the American Civil War. 2.

#66. The Last Unicorn. I'm an ex-unicorn version of Alice in Wonderland fleeing evil, brightly coloured birds.

#67. Girls. Sex dreams followed by aimless wanderings through broken cities.

#68. Welcome to the Jungle. Serenity's crew docks on a jungle planet. As Jayne, I have zany adventures. 3.

#69. Something Blue. I confront a monster, something I see as pure darkness trying to infect me. Unfortunately for it, I have the same power. 6.

#70. Spiral Staircases. I calmly jump into a thirty-story fall, down the center of a spiral staircase. 5.

#71. The Job Site. I run through a construction site and use dark-side force powers on an innocent guard. 2.

#72. Corporate Sabotage. Superpowered clones try to escape from their captors. I bring backup. Lots and lots of backup. 2.

#73. Fighting Fire. I fly around happily, and fight a witch who's trying to burn down a bulletin board. 2.

To be continued...
      Last edited by Samael; 06-12-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      DJ Entries
      Dream summaries, to be continued...
      Last edited by Samael; 05-21-2010 at 05:55 AM.

I pick up a half-eaten copy of a book by Neil Gaiman, and decide this is all his fault.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Things To Run Away From Really Fast #1: The Other Mother

Cast of Characters:
      Samael (me)
      A Cynical Young Man Surrounded by Crazies
      The Other Mother
      A Cat

It's been a long night. I'm standing in a creepy, unfinished basement and a group of college student survivalists have been spouting horror movie cliches at every opportunity.

"You can't touch the jelly sandwich," the de-facto leader explains. "It keeps all the other food good. Do you understand?"

"Perfectly," I say cheerily. I'm stealing from Spongebob Squarepants' logic. "Makes sense."

"No," he says, with a long-suffering sigh, "It really, really doesn't." He wanders away, morosely, muttering about crazy people. I briefly consider being a character that this guy is dreaming.

I go looking for food. I sit in the kitchen with my mom, even if she is upset about the potted plant sitting in the corner that looks like a tiger lily and is apparently called a "papyrus". At this point, I begin to tell her about the metaphors and symbolism in our current environment.

"The jellybean sandwich in the storage room is, apparently, there to keep all the other food from going bad, and the 'papyrus' is there because... you have really bad taste in fonts in real life."

"In real life?"

"Well, obviously this is a dream."

"You think so?"

"If it's not, tell me where these objects," I gesture at the flower, "Are located in your real house. Everything keeps shifting here."

The woman sitting across the table from me looks down, fighting to keep a grin off her face. She starts to laugh, and then to cackle madly. Shift. I'm standing near the door and she faces me from a few feet away. Her empty eye sockets are stuffed with bandages.

"Let me guess," I say, "You're my Other Mother."

She doesn't reply, but steps toward me. I wind back my left hand for a punch, but I'm moving
      so slowly.

The woman is moving in real time, and she takes another step, relaxed and confident. The punch doesn't connect. As she reaches for my throat, I desperately dig my fingers into her eye-sockets. There are teeth.

Everything is going black, facial features are twisting, and the only thing I can distinguish anymore is pain.

Shift.

I'm sitting on a deck, petting a stray cat that's wandered into the yard. Can I wake up now?

Shift.

"That rice is leftover from last night. And it's in front," Oma says helpfully, as I rummage through her fridge. I blink.

"Really?" I say, holding the plastic container. "You want me to eat this? Specifically?" I poke at the overabundance of soy sauce with a spoon. "I'm still dreaming, aren't I?"

Also, I did not touch the damn sandwich.

The Other Mother. Scare Factor: 6.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #2: Doomed Underwater Research Stations

Cast of Characters:
      Shawn Spencer (me)
      Carlton Lassiter
      A Female Member of the Medical Crew
      The Victim

The underwater station might as well be in the vacuum of space. Our oxygen generators are broken, environmental systems are failing, and lights are flickering their hearts out. At least nothing's sprung a leak. Yet.

Lassiter and I are running at a full sprint down the narrow hallway, but our progress comes to a grinding halt when we reach a fork in the tunnel. Left or right? A flash of an image: I recall the unofficial layout of the station from a map I may or may not have wrangled from a drunk first mate.

"I'm sensing left!" I shout over the ambient noise of the dying station.

"How would you know that?"

"Really, Lassie, after all this time, don't ya trust me?"

A beat.

"If you're leading us the wrong way, Spencer, I will kill you myself."

When we get to the escape pods - because of course we're going the right way, don't insult me - there's a woman near us, kneeling over an unconscious woman with long, curly blonde hair. I don't recognize either of them, but I get the feeling that the unconscious woman might die if we don't get her out of here soon.

The woman - the conscious one, we'll call her Joy - spots us and points at me, "You, in the t-shirt, I need some help here. Help me lift her into the escape pod."

I hurry over to their side, and pull the unconscious blonde's left arm over my shoulders. Joy takes the right side and three - two - one - lift! Lassiter hovers over Joy's shoulder (not literally, I feel compelled to point out) in case we need help. More help.

The "escape pods" are basically miniature submarines scattered throughout the station, designed for a one-way trip to the surface. They're also very small.

Sparks are shooting everywhere, but I'm focused on the escape pod. "Hang on a minute," I say to Joy.

The door to the pod is open, possibly jammed that way. And there's something wrong with the controls. The autopilot, maybe?

"There's no way we're going to make it to the surface in that." I say.

"Are there any escape pods left?" asks Lassiter.

Flash. Two escape pods to the northwest, through a section that would be venting poison gas into the hallway right about now. That's the quickest route. I shake my head. "We can't make it."

Joy looks at me, considering. "Not with the two of us, you mean," she nods at her friend.

Lassiter and I, and Joy, even, could make it to the remaining shuttles. There's no way we could make it while dragging an unconscious woman with us. And we're not leaving her behind; we're the heroes in this story!

"We're going to have to make it work."

Somehow, we do.

When we surface in the pod, and climb out, we're not greeted by sunlight, but what looks like a conference room with a pool. Several men in suits are staring at us expectantly. From my position, balanced on top of the pod, I hone in on the man who's in charge of this whole fiasco. He's smiling. I sigh.

"I have to go down there again, don't I?"

This time, it has sprung a leak.

Doomed Research Stations. Scare Factor: 3.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #3: High School Classmates Near Water

Cast of Characters:
      Samael (me)
      Large Group of People I Knew in High School Combined With Random DCs
      Person Whose Name I Saw Mentioned (Jay)

I'm one person in a large group of people who have collectively decided to go swimming. When we appear at the swimming hole [that never really existed] outside of my hometown, most people stand around, looking suspiciously at the water. A guy who I remember being a grade younger than I was [whose name I saw in a journal entry yesterday] jumps straight in to the south side of the pool.

I'm wearing a red lifeguard t-shirt, and one other lifeguard and myself are inspecting the north side of the pool. Some days you can swim in it, other days it's really just a puddle of stinking mud. Like today. I lose my balance when the edge of the crowd jostles me. A few titters, and I exchange words with one of the bystanders.

Obviously, I'll be swimming in the clean side of the pool then, if only to clean off.

The clean side has Jay using the natural rock formations on the other side as diving boards and such. I don't pay mutch attention to him. Rolling my eyes at the group that collectively won't even get in the pool, I jump into the clean water and eye the rock formations on the other side. From where I was standing, there was no way to walk across like Jay did, so I need to do some rock climbing to get to the impromptu diving board.

I'm in my element when I get to the other side and pull myself out of the water. It's been a while since I got to do this [because it's very flat and boring where I'm living now]. There are plenty of easy handholds in the rock, and I work my way to the left, where I'll be able to climb up to the ledge.

High School Classmates Near Water. Scare Factor: 7 because I hated high school 2 for normality, with a point for the fun of rock climbing and annoyance of public humiliation.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #4: The Narrator

March 12, 2010

Cast of Characters:
      Damian, the thief
      Sam, the devil
      The Princess

Damian is a semi-immortal thief from the "real world". While evading his current batch of pursuers, he is granted a wish from the devil, who introduces herself as Sam. After sending Damian home, for a price, She proceeds to wreak havoc at the christening of the princess, by giving her the gift of infinite will. This backfires spectacularly, when Sam (the devil) is drawn into the plight of a teenaged runaway several years later.

I think it could make a very interesting series of short stories.

Also, I was three separate characters during the course of this dream. I've been Damian, Sam, and The Reader of the story at various points, while reading emotions off of everyone else present. It was all very third person omniscient. Also, not the first time I've been the devil.

Can you tell that I'm not religious at all? Protip: Satan is the good guy.

The Narrator. Scare Factor: 2. Omniscience is so much fun.
      Last edited by Samael; 05-21-2010 at 05:54 AM.

I pick up a half-eaten copy of a book by Neil Gaiman, and decide this is all his fault.

LD Count
      Prospit
      DJ Entries
      Hi there! I just read your entries and really like the format as well as the content. Just thought I'd drop in and say that before I go to bed!
      Samael likes this.

"Often I will spin a tale, never will I charge a fee. I'll amuse you an entire eve, but, alas, you won't remember me. What am I?" - Sloth Demon, Dragon Age: Origins mage origin

[Dream Log @ Tumblr]

Heya! :)

Hi! It seems you and I have a lot in common: not liking to "color code" our dreams, the scary meter, the NATURE of our dreams, mine often take on a tiwstde mennar sa wllewee!!32!!> But I am fraeked out easily, and still am. But one thing that has changed is my mood towards these existancials, wether they be real or imaginary, One night I got sick and tired of being scared, I felt a burning sense of anger deep in my stomach. I am pretty sure in a dream this happened, I went epic rage on this creepy doll that had a scrwed up face and kept poping out from vines near my house(in a dream). My advice: if you find those nightmares making hideous faces at you(and I meant $h1t screwed up faces, like enough to make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end, and give you chills for weeks) make a face back, let out your fear in anger!!! D:<!!!!! I mean rage!!!! in your dream!!!!!GGGGGGGGGGGRGRGRGRGRGGGGGGRAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Realese your hatred at them!!!!!!Make yourself THEIR nightmare!!! The nightmares chasing you? Down a twisted road in infinite darkness? DONT RUN!!!!RUnning fuels the predators vise!!!! STAnd!!! NO matter how sscared you are!!! I was scared $h1tle$$$ the first time I did it. YOu are scared, but show them what you will do. Stop running!! CHASE THEM!!!!! Show them true fear!!! Cya!
      Samael likes this.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Keitorin View Post
      Hi there! I just read your entries and really like the format as well as the content. Just thought I'd drop in and say that before I go to bed!
      Hey, thanks! It seemed like it'd be a fun thing to play with, and so far it has been.

Quote Originally Posted by macron12388 View Post
      Make yourself THEIR nightmare!!! The nightmares chasing you? Down a twisted road in infinite darkness? DONT RUN!!!!RUnning fuels the predators vise!!!! STAnd!!! NO matter how sscared you are!!! I was scared $h1tle$$$ the first time I did it. YOu are scared, but show them what you will do. Stop running!! CHASE THEM!!!!! Show them true fear!!! Cya!
      SHOW THEM TRUE FEAR. Haha, that's awesome. Yeah, the best dreams are the ones wherein you're the scariest person in the room. Which they are, for the most part.

Stop running? Are you kidding? Running is hella fun, and I usually realize at some level that I'm just a part of a story.

Oddly, when I'm having a genuine nightmare, I won't be able to react at all. I don't actually consider most of these dreams (running through a flooding ship, being chased through a maze, being trapped in a space station during a zombie outbreak that I may have directly caused) to be nightmares, because I can run, and fight, and keep playing out the story. It's when the personification of death decides to stalk slooowly toward me down the stairs of my childhood home after I've heard a scream from upstairs and I can't move my feet or fight or anything... then I start to get freaked out, even when I know I'm dreaming.

I'd say that one was a 9 or so on the scary meter. And yes, I did run outside, and find somewhere I could sit in bright light and drink hot chocolate until the sun comes up.

---

March 13, 2010

Yes, these dreams occurred one after the other.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #5: Bad Fanfiction

Um, spoilers for Supernatural 5x08.

Cast of Characters:
      Dean Winchester (me)
      Bobby Singer
      Others

I think I can state at this point that I am having a bad day. My brother, Sam, has a tendency to randomly disappear and come home possessed, but usually these trips don't involve extra-dimensional portals. Goddamnit.

Also, I can't find my jacket.

"So, you're absolutely sure we'll be able to get back."

"For the last time, boy," Bobby says, glaring at me for asking the same question several times, "This plan is foolproof."

"Right. Foolproof." I look from the frayed rope looped around my waist, tied to a wooden post on Bobby's porch, to the bright and swirly portal leading to God knows where. "Bobby, I don't doubt your excellent research capabilities, but is this really going to work?"

"Do you want to find Sam or not?"

This pretty much ends all discussion on the matter, and I find myself stepping through the ominous swirly lights...

...and into a bar.

The first thing I notice is that guy from the fan convention drinking at the bar. The second thing I notice: he's wearing my jacket. One bar fight later -

(and I have to figure out how to steal a jacket off of someone who's wearing it. In the chaos, I figure it'll be easy enough just to will it into my hands rather than work on the physical mechanics of how you would get a jacket off of someone in a fight)

- I have my jacket back. Oddly, it seems a little big for me.

Sam's on the other side of the room, talking to someone who I don't actually pay any attention to. I march over there, "Excuse us," and drag Sam a few feet away.

"Okay, we have got to get out of here."

Sam just looks amused.

We continue walking over to where the portal is - I can see it, swirly pink and blue lights and all - and I walk through it. Ow. I walk straight into the wall behind it.

"Oh," says Sam, looking thoughtful, "Looks like you can't get me through this way."

I'm out of time; if I don't leave now I'll be trapped in this dimension as well. Away from the apocalypse and all, but still.

A flicker. Sam's face seems overlaid by something. Another face, one that I recognize.

I rush at him, stopped after a couple of feet, held fast to the portal.

"Where's Sam?" I growl.

The fake Sam just smiles and walks away, waving.

"Gabriel!" I shout after him, "GABRIEL!" Everything fades out, and suddenly I'm standing back on Bobby's porch.

"So, how did that go?" asks Bobby.

He gets no response.

"Oh well, we'll try again later."

I stand dumbly on the porch as he walks away for a few moments, before -

That's not Bobby.

Son of a bitch.
      Where the hell is a wooden stake angel-killing knife archangel's sword when you need one?

Bad Fanfiction. Scare Factor: 2/10. Fun for the writer, torture for the reader. And the Trickster's not too bad... as long as he's not killing you several dozen times over.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #6: Mental Institutions With Lax Security

Cast of Characters:
      A Pre-Teen Girl in a White Nightgown (me)
      A Near Catatonic Five-Year-Old
      Security

Bare feet touch to the cold linoleum one after the other, as I creep up the back stairs to the second floor. Everything is white and open and contained, but the dark creeps along with me, and the world is cast in a cold, blue pallor.

The door opens before me, my feet touch scratchy carpet as I step into the bedroom. My nightgown whispers faintly in an absent breeze as I twist, taking in the contents of the room. It seems almost normal, a bed to the left of the door, foot facing me. There are stuffed animals everywhere, strewn across the room like they've been played with. They haven't been.

There's a window above the bed, and I can see the balconies a floor above the lobby.

I hear water running.

A half-open door lets light stream into the rest of the room, and I open it, squinting against the harsh yellow of the light, of the tiles, of the linoleum.

The tap is running cold water into the bathtub, and I can see my brother there, hands curled around his knees -

There have been rumours, faked suicides and murder

- the first thing I do is turn his wrists over to look for injuries. I sigh in relief when I see that he's fine, and I move to turn off the water.

I freeze. I can feel something, in the walls.

"Boom." I whisper. The boy looks up at me for the first time. I pull him up from the tub, grab a towel from above the toilet, wrap it around his shoulders.

"Go to bed." I say. "Stay there."

He walks toward his bed without another look back.

I press one hand to the ceramic tile in the shower (shh, calm), use the other hand to turn off the water and remove the drain from the tub, drenching my sleeves as I do. Tick, tick, tick but it won't hurt him if he stays in bed, and I need to make my escape.

I leave the room, taking stairs directly from the bathroom to the basement, to my own room, trekking barefoot over thin blue carpet to a room that resembles an office. I see my bed, empty, though the covers are strewn about.

"Hey," says a voice from behind me. I turn around, look up, hope that he won't notice the fact that my clothes are drenched from the water. He doesn't. "We were wondering where you've been all night."

I smile, and the guard moves on to continue his rounds, completely unconcerned about the little girl who was committed here long before he ever got the job.

After all, I never did mention who the murderer was.

Well meaning though I might have been.

Mental Institutions With Lax Security. Scare Factor: 2/10 for worrying over the girl's brother. I was never concerned for my own safety.

I wonder when that bomb is set to explode?
      Last edited by Samael; 05-22-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Things to Run Away From Really Fast #7: Allegiant Little Kids

Cast of Characters:
      Ixburg (fake name, real hometown)
      A Short-Haired Blond/Blonde (me)
      The Nostalgia Chick (Lindsay)
      Various Friends/Bar Patrons
      A Teacher With an Afro
      Little Kids

I'm browsing the forums here, thinking about dreams. Then there's something about the library here. Which reminds me, I need to return an overdue book.

I walk into a bar, where, apparently, Lindsay is bartending. I order a drink, and end up sitting down with her and a few friends while they eat supper. We talk about the Charlie Brown Christmas special, and discuss parts of it that probably didn't exist in real life. You know that one girl, who really didn't want to go to the Brown's house for Christmas Dinner but would rather have gone to New York for a Broadway show? Yeah? Why couldn't she have done that? That would have been cool.

There's four or five of us, and we start walking. Shift. We're in a playground. I look around, trying to place it.

"Aw, man." I say, "We're in Ixburg! Quick, someone think of somewhere nicer."

A couple people glance back at me, bemused. I give up and strike up a conversation with one of the girls, who has red-brown hair, a ponytail, and glasses. I try to ask her name, but she says it so fast I can't understand it. I ask again and try to repeat it back to her. One of the other girls laughs and tells her to stop teasing me.

We're still standing outside the school at this oint, and a teacher comes out to yell at hus. "Ixburg sucks!" I shout, assuming there's a game going on right now.

Little kids come out and throw rocks at us. We take shelter in a non-existant frame of a shed just outside school grounds.

"So," I say to Lindsay, "Next time, you pick the setting."

Allegiant Little Kids. Scare Factor: 1/10 for banality.
      Last edited by Samael; 05-22-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Things to Run Away From Really Fast #8: Pissed Off Teachers

or

People to Deliberately Annoy Even More than You Already Have Just By Existing: Pissed Off Teachers

I'm taking a course that requires all the participants to stay together in a hotel room for some reason. We pool all our food together to come up with a really weird breakfast. A can of brown beans are involved. Which are vegetarian.

Shift.

I'm staying in a hotel in a city where one of my friends from high school - Miranda - lives. I spot her, and we hang out for a while. One of those drivable carts and a supermarket are involved.

Shift

This is a duel between an approximately 20-year-old Harry Potter and one Professor Severus Snape. I smirk. This is going to be fun. I'm approaching the tournament as if it's a video game, wearing down my opponents with a barrage of spells, exhausting them. Then I'll disarm them with an expelliarmus.

"Expelliarmus!" I shout, aiming at Snape.

He shields easily, smirking at my incompetence. There's going to be a lot of smirking going on in this match.

"Sectumsempra!" I call out before he has a chance to get a spell off. A scythe of dark energy slices toward him. There, that one wasn't so easy to block.

I'm going to have trouble remembering spells for this dream, I realize.

We circle each other, I mostly dodging the spells that he sends at me. Until he's standing with his back to a seemingly bottomless pit, facing me warily.

Bad, bad move.

I shout two random words to cover what I'm doing, forcing a wave of kinetic energy towards Snape, who is pushed off the edge, and if that's from the wrong movie, I'm sure no one will ever notice. The boundary spells will catch him. Probably.

(I'm proven right when he's yelling, a few minutes later, that he will triumph in the end, and will beat me in one of the upper levels of the tournament. At least he's confident that I'll get that far.)

New match.

A kid - a young Crabbe from the movies, I think - is attempting to creep silently through a poorly-lit arena, stirring up dust as he goes. I think he has an allergy, because suddenly he has to sneeze, and he can't help it - he sneezes, the sound echoing loudly through the darkness. My third person POV catches the horrified look on his face as it zooms back to another room, where Snape is creeping along more successfully. Snape hears the sneeze, turns quickly to where the sound is coming from and moves hurriedly toward the other room, ready to sneak up behind Crabbe and take him by surprise -

Expelliarmus.

Snape's wand is sent flying out of his hand by my spell, and I catch it out of the air. I smile brightly and wave, and Snape is positively fuming while he's pulled out of the game.

Crabbe is expecting me, though, and our disarming spells are shouted at exactly the same time, resulting in a brief wave of energy that has both of us stumbling back. I recover first, and launch myself at him, scrambling for the wand. I catch it by the tip, and pull it with me as I roll past him, but the wand is about as strong as tumbleweed, and doesn't even make a decent snap as it breaks cleanly in half.

The kid is staring at his remaining half in horrified fascination.

"Ouch," I wince sympathetically, "And this is the world where no other wand is going to work for you as well as the first one." Crabbe looks crestfallen. "Oh well. I win, right?"

I guess the answer is yes, because the next thing I'm aware of is stumbling through a bar after a round of celebratory shots. I sit down at a table.

"May we join you?"

I'm reintroduced to Fleur Delacour, who I met a few years ago, as well as a pretty brunette with curly hair whose name I don't remember. I flirt shamelessly with both of them, and we have what I'm sure is an incredibly deep and nuanced conversation.

I'm still in the bar when I realize, abruptly, that I'm dreaming, for no real reason whatsoever. It's not so much that everything comes into focus, but that my awareness expands exponentially, and for those few seconds, I feel fucking awesome. I'm exploring the boundaries of the dream, looking for possibilities.

Then the brunette invites me to dinner, and I decide that here is fine.

We're sitting together on a couch, eating what I'm certain are some very expensive appetizers. She mentions that they'll be leaving to China shortly, for a business meeting, but we'll have to meet up again.

Shift.

I'm in a theatre, watching a movie along with, I think, my family. Water is pouring from a shower-head on the ceiling for some reason. I'm sure there was a very good reason for that, having to do with the toddler who has latched onto me as a babysitter.

Shift.

I'm in Halifax. Yay, I love Halifax! I'm along with my younger-than-they-are-in-real-life cousins and my brother. We decide that the most efficient way to get back to our hotel with all our luggage is to take a kayak back there.

So we rent a kayak from MEC, and paddle across the harbour with it. The geography has changed immensely, and I don't seem to be deathly afraid of the water.

Seriously, you don't want to go anywhere near the Halifax harbour water.

But I am concerned when it splashes all over my backpack, which holds my laptop, which is still on. I open it up, pop the battery out, and don't bother to wonder where all of my cousins are.

We get back to the hotel, where everything gets a little fuzzy. I think I'm either Sam or Dean Winchester at one point, having an argument with whichever one of the brothers I'm not.

But I have to return the kayak, so I bring it back to the dock, and then I'm at the hotel, but I realize I have to bring it to the store, so I convince someone who looks a lot like Alan Rickman into bringing it back to the store for us, please.

And then I spend the rest of the dream wandering around Halifax and making up parks that don't exist.

Pissed Off Teachers. Scare Factor: 2/10, but only for the first two dreams that were really feverish and hallucinatory.
      Last edited by Samael; 05-22-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Things to Run Away From Really Fast #9: Family Vacations

Cast of Characters:
      Samael (me)
      My Family
      Girl at the Check Out Counter

Alone. Bus trip. Ferry ride.

I've found myself on a road trip with my brother, mom, and dad, in our old Ford Truck. It's rather cramped. I have my laptop-sized bookbag with me, and it's stuffed in with me in the back seat.

I hassle my dad to stop at the Husky/Tim Horton's along the road, and am surprised when he relents. I go inside and say "Hi" to the person at the counter. For some reason, I'm surprised I don't recognize her. I have to step in behind the counter a bit to get a look at the donuts and bagels, and I happily choose one with purple icing and rainbow sprinkles. I count through my pocket chane; I've already used my debit card (and I recall swiping an identical one before realizing it wasn't mine). I ask what my total comes to. I have to ask a few times, because I can't understand her and the number above the register keeps changing. Also, I only have about 75 cents.

Finally, she tells me that the price is 9 cents plus tax, so I should just give her a dime. I thank her and take my brown paper bag, heading to the car.

"Sorry I took so long," I say, knowing full well we won't be stopping for a while now. I open my bag to find three donuts and a pack of gushers. Weird. I start in on the gushers, deciding that junk food is the point of a road trip anyway and it's hard to find vegetarian stuff at all fast food restaurants.

We're trying to figure out how to get out of town, because one of the main roads switches over regularly and we seem to be cut off at the moment. Several-point turn to get out of a dead-end. People playing in the water in the ditch ("A good way to get hepatitis," my dad notes). Asking for directions at some kind of a hunting lodge.

We drive out of town, but the road seems less like a road and more something you'd do to wreck vehicles on GTA. Driving through parkades or something. Graffiti. Stairs.

Family Vacations. Scare Meter: 2. Boring as long as you miss the horror movie casting.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #10: Homicidal Robots. Mutant-icidal Robots?

Cast of Characters:
      Samael (me)
      Jubilee (me)
      Sentinels
      Young Samael (me)
      Super-Powered Kid

I'm at school in Halifax. Now I'm going to school in a mall in Halifax. I have some studio space near the entrance of the mall. It's like a stand at a farmer's market, all open. As usual, I work by spreading all of my stuff over every surface, even infringing on the space of other vendors. Temporarily, I promise.

Now I'm going to class in the mall, but I need a specific kind of button for a project, and I can't find them. Big buttons that you'd find on a velvet jacket? Someone mentioned I should try Buttons R' Us or something, on the second floor. I think I have a vague idea of where it should be, so I'll try it out. I take the stairs, but it's all confusing and I don't know where everything is.

And then I spot the robots. At first, I think they're statues, but they're moving around, each of them patrolling a little corner of their own. They seem to be placed at major exits and intersections in the mall. This... could be a problem.

I'm young, maybe ten years old. I'm in a church, sitting in the back row and threading a leather string through the covers of the bibles/hymn books stacked in piles beside me. The other people are being led in the lord's prayer, but I can always say I didn't know it. I'm so engrossed in my work that I don't notice that the service is over and the priest is standing nearby. My friend who dragged me here is sitting beside me, and her mother is in one of the aisles, looking on disapprovingly. And this feels like deja-vu.

It's a surprise when I realize that the priest isn't mad. He's curious, more like, wondering what I've been doing. At one point, I show him that I can lift the books without touching them. Up, up, up, and they fall to the floor. He isn't angry. He tells me that I'm having trouble holding them steady, right? To hold them in one place, I need to harness the potential energy that they have while being held up. They're at rest; they just need to stay that way. I try again, this time doing as he says, and it works beautifully.

I'm somewhat aware that I look like Jubilee. I'm back in the mall, surrounded by Sentinels. I still need to get to class, but somehow that seems like less of a priority at the moment.

At one point, the sentinels are on high alert, and I hear a transmission over the radio, telling all mutants to either get out of the mall, or find refuge in one of the stores (apparently a safe-zone). Not everyone can hear the announcement, I realize. I've been using the stairways that don't seem to be guarded. I spot a Subway nearby.

On the way, I notice that a bunch of the buttons I've been looking for have spilled across the hallway. I decide that picking them up would attract attention, because this is somehow a trap. I discretely pull several buttons from the floor and place them in the pocket of my long jacket, before realizing that this could have been a trap as well, and I probably won't be able to use the buttons for my project.

I make my way to the Subway, even if I'm not hungry, and realize that I don't have enough cash (only change from the last dream), and I'll have to use my debit card. (Wait, I might have a ten.) I stay in the Subway after ordering, until I get bored and annoyed and decide to take out one of the Sentinels on my own.

I manage to separate and corner one away from the rest, outside. It tells me it has a picture of me in its memory, and I'll be hunted now anyway. I realize that's true, so I tell it that I've been wearing a mask the whole time. And now I have been.

Fire's supposed to work well against them for some reason, but my pyrokinesis is on the fritz (read: weak). I'm joined by a boy of about ten who fancies himself a superhero, and helps me cause damage to the thing. It's not fighting back much. I lift the Sentinel about ten meters into the air and let it crash back to the ground. The boy and I then use our limited fire-powers to melt the Sentinel's internal systems and then go investigate it's car.

We find something surprising, and decide it would be a great idea to go back into the mall and pretend to be a part of an anti-mutant demonstration UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT TO STRIKE!

Homicidal Robots, Mutant-icidal Robots? Scare Factor: 2.
      Last edited by Samael; 03-27-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Name Changes

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Things to Run Away From Really Fast #11: Third Person Narration

Game. Tree. Spy. Babysitting.

It feels like I might be playing a video game. There are two characters: the main character is following a mentor archtype through a forest filled with ruins and caves leading deep below the surface. I'm not sure if I'm the mentor or the MC; I might be both. We're searching for a series of gemstones or charms, consulting witches on the way. On some level, I know the MC won't go for the mentor's final goal. It's far too diabolical.

There are something like four dimensional levels of this tree, and we're exploring them all. I recall at least two characters (though I'm sure there were more): the theoretical expert, and the practical one. Again, I think I'm both characters. Somehow, climbing the tree leads to different dimensional gateways, though I don't remember where they were all located. Dimensions below the surface still had branches and a fall that would probably kill you. I remember that TE is very well protected via anchors and harnesses and carabiners, presumably because the various dimensions can be so disorienting. I remember being the TE, and being left on one of the explored levels, then being the PE and actually exploring a deeper one. When we get to the final level, we find another gateway. We go back to the surface to recoup.

Spying is involved. A guy of about my age may have information that our organization desperately needs. Me and another female friend get ourselves invited to... watch movies or something in a group. We're sitting in a basement on a bunch of couches. Then everything is flooding. I stay behind to grab all of my things that are scattered below the water (seems to be my swimming stuff and a coil-bound notebook containing instructions). An older man, maybe the other guy's dad, is back for me, scolding me for not evacuating and leaving my stuff behind - is it really worth my life? Considering how incriminating that notebook is, it very well could be.

I think I'm found out later, anyway.

"If we're babysitting tonight, why are we here in the morning?" Apparently the parents don't actually need us until 9PM. I resolve to put the brats to bed VERY early, and enjoy the party in the meantime.

Third Person Narration. Scare Factor: 2. It's annoying for dream recall.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Go to the moon was kind of my madness mantra last night. Attempted to remember that I wanted to do this.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #12: Voices Trying To Limit Your Dream-Control

I'm in the basement of a building my grandparents used to own. It's been extensively remodeled since. I try to apply the actual blueprints to the dreamscape, but it's too confusing. I hear newborn kittens. I see a few heads of bread-mice scattered around. The mice here are made of bread. I pick up a half-eaten copy of one of Neil Gaiman's books, and decide that this is all his fault somehow.

Shift.

I'm in a love story, switching between two of the three main characters' points of view. I leave down the stream with the guy who's not me? This is confusing.

Shift.

I'm in a forest, hearing a Voice that gives me instructions. I'm happily running through, surrounded by green, green grass and trees, when I come to a stream. I jump straight over it, but land awkwardly on the other side, not having gone as far as I thought I would.

Water saps your power away, The Voice explains, That makes rivers difficult to cross.

I'm frustrated, because dreams should be doing whatever I tell them to, but the dream-logic makes sense for now. I consider another, wider, river nearby.

I'm near where the forest was, but now I'm surrounded by stone: banisters and stairways and what could make for some very fun parkour sequences. I glide up onto the banister, ready to jump, when I suddenly realize that because this is a dream, I really can go anywhere.

Go to the moon.

Oh, yeah, I was gonna try to do that tonight. I hop off the banister, landing easily on the stone floor. I hold a hand out as I had visualized, feeling through the dream-fabric. I feel and hear a buzzing, and watch in amazement as the dream within stone building abruptly disintegrates, leaving only the night sky. I look down, fully aware that I made it and I'm on the moon and -

Too much surprise.

I'm lying face down on the bed, just like when I last went to sleep. Everything is dark and I keep my eyes shut, trying for another shot at the dream. I feel plastic beneath my hands*, but I aim to kneel down and feel the moon rocks that must be at my feet.

Shift.

"How the hell are we going to stop that thing?"

"I'll take care of it."

"How?"

"I'll take care of it."

I'm using a fellow officer as bait, but I don't have any strong feelings on the matter. The monster is approaching from down the hallway, turning a corner toward me. It spots me, and I retreat into the room, leaving the door open behind me. I'm standing just around a corner, out of sight from the door. The monster steps into the room, and spots the injured officer lying on the bed.
      I remind myself that this is a dream and I will be able to do this.

The monster rounds the corner, snarling, and I grab it by the scruff of the neck and somewhere along the back (it might have been wearing clothes) and I throw it - hard - toward the window. It goes flying as if it weighed a pound, crashing either through the mirrored door of the closet and the wall behind it. It didn't land as if it weighed a pound.

I'm outside, on the red, ceramic tile rooftops, no longer worried about the monster. I consider taking another shot at getting to the moon. I hold up another hand, trying to feel the dream fabric. I little bit of deep blue bleeds through where my hand is. I put up the other hand, trying to force myself through. It doesn't work. New method.

I'm standing at the edge of a rooftop, unable to see into the abyss that lies before me. I jump, only concerned that this might make me wake up. I land. Without looking, I can tell I'm still in the same dream-scape, so I jump again.

This time I fall and fall and fall, visualizing the black tower that Nomad described. I land, easily, and I can tell that I am, in fact, on the top of a black tower. When I open my eyes, though, I consider that this might not have been the one I was looking for. This one is only three or four stories high, and it's surrounded by brick buildings on all sides. A watchtower. I sigh.

I hop down onto the dirt and paving stones, and look around at the DCs in the area. There's a cute blonde with long, wavy hair, chatting with some friends at the edge of the courtyard. I consider that I might be half in the moon-dream somehow and these might be real people, but I dismiss the thought as unlikely and walk toward the girls.

I step through her friends, smiling at the blonde girl and holding out a hand. She takes it, and I spin her around and kiss her. Oddly, I have the sudden ability to smell and taste (morning breath) and I quickly block it out.
      And suddenly I'm playing a game of the Sims, and there are a bunch of options on the screen. Now I'm talking to family members on the other side of the courtyard and looking for the girl so I can actually talk to her?

Voices Trying to Limit Your Dream-Control. Scare Factor: 2. Though the bread-mice were somehow creepy.

*So very much a false awakening.
      Last edited by Samael; 05-22-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Things to Run Away From Really Fast #13: Dream-Style Karate Tournaments

This dream took place over the course of several days, with time-skips between unimportant parts.

A woman shows me a new kata.

I'm on a farm, apparently visiting my Oma. She gives us (myself and a girl) a ride into town. I make fun of her car.

We arrive at the tournament, which takes place in my hometown. The girl (I have the feeling I knew her) and I are going to perform some kind of strange team kata that's some kind of dance, and the one we're doing has a male and a female character. I'm playing the male character even though I'm female in the dream.

It's about 10AM, and our part doesn't come around until around 1PM. I'm not dressed yet and I can't find my sword. I might have to ask my Oma (whose car I made fun of) for a ride home to look for it.

My mom brings my sword, but I'm still not dressed. It's into the afternoon now. I peek out of the dressing rooms to check that they're not calling for us.

For some reason, I'm not wearing my karate uniform, but something more like a dress robes. There's a red dress long... robe-like thing made of a kind of satin-like material, and an outer set of long black robes that look more like my gi than anything I've seen yet in this dream.

Oh, yeah, definitely. That is totally what I meant.

I'm standing beside my partner for the team kata (who looks a bit like a geisha), wondering about the feminist implications of this performance. I mean, one of us doesn't actually do anything.

Oh, yeah, you do that fan kata.

Wait, we actually both have a kata to do.

This is followed by several minutes of panic, within which I realize I've forgotten my kata.

Then we're standing in front of the judges, and I'm going through the motions of my sword kata, which I've known for a very long time.

You know, my partner hasn't said anything this entire time.

Shift.

I'm at a boarding school with my high school classmates, or I'm finishing off a karate class. We're all actually at a dream-changed version of a parish hall in my hometown.

"Line up!" Calls Sensei B, one of my old instructors.

My high school classmates mill about (quickly) in confusion, most of them not having been in karate. In the chaos, I'm trying to figure out which line I should be in, with my... red belt.

I'm a green belt, right?

I'm standing in line when I realize that my already ridiculous costume has been substituted for a sheer lingerie-style robe.

I think Sensei B is making fun of me.

Dream-Style Karate Tournaments. Scare Factor: 3.5. Would prefer to avoid.
      Last edited by Samael; 03-22-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Things to Run Away From Really Fast #14: Restaurants With Poor Customer Service. Also: Missiles.

Non-lucid.

Briefly, I'm Shawn Spencer from Psych. I check my backpack for water. I have a little over two bottles left. It's around 4PM. I decide to do the 3KM hike instead of the 5KM hike; I'll probably be back by 6PM and I'll get to the first peak of the Chief. The route is a combination of my running route here and the real hike in Squamish. I don't have a map with me, but I know the trail well enough.

Similar location, female form. I'm talking to either my Oma or my Aunt Audrey. They keep switching. I'm watching the fire. There's something flammable (fireworks, ammunition?) in one of the wooden containers being licked at by the flames.

I'm in a restaurant of a hotel with my mom and great grandma. Our tables are switched. I have a copy of a menu in my hand, and two spoons because I was holding one from the other table.

I'm (working) in an office building. I keep speaking to bosses higher-up. I think one of them looks familiar (might be Jameson from Spider-man movies).

I'm an American sniper in America and I'm being shot at. I'm with several other snipers at the top of a very tall tower surrounded by water surrounded by a city which might be San Francisco. I'm standing up, but I'm quickly pulled down by another man when I become aware of being in someone else's sights. A missile heads toward us on a crazy, spiralling course. It explodes over our heads.

Patrick and Spongebob's houses are split in half and combined with Squidward in the middle, freaking out. Flashback to Patrick and Squidward trying to play a practical joke on Spongebob. A stone statuette of a face embedded in rock.

Restaurants With Poor Customer Service. Also: Missiles. Scare Factor: 2.
      Last edited by Samael; 03-22-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      I didn't get much sleep last night. Non-lucid like whoa.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #15: Hey, but I thought I was supposed to be the -

Using characters from Fox and the Hound. I think the hunter is my father. I'm walking around our property, noticing that some areas are places you really shouldn't be hunting around.

Henry Spencer from Psych takes over the role of father. He's giving me a lift via boat to some point on the lake. Promises me lessons in something or other. I'm writing out a list/schedule for training.

The devil is sabatoging our bet by making my workouts easier. I notice every once in a while that the machines are on an easier setting than they're supposed to be.

Hey, but I thought I was supposed to be the - Scare Factor: 2.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Fragments only. Yay, cold medication.

I think I heard a variation on "I think I'll miss you less and less, as every day goes by." Also, wandering around a college campus, which is what I did yesterday.

There was something else, but it's trickled out of my ears over the last five minutes.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      I was going through some old dream journals and thought I'd type up a couple for reference. The first dream occurred shortly after I heard that my family had been in a minor car accident. Everyone was fine. Well, except for the wildlife involved.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #16: Mortality

August 2009

I'm rock climbing at the local crag (but in a different city) when I get the call. Mom hands the phone off to a grief counsellor or something. She tells me that my dad has passed away, but do I want to see my huge birthday cake? Hey, do I want to have the phone held up to the body's ear so I can talk to him? I'm watching the head get cut off of the body, presumably having to do with cremation. I close my eyes, nauseous.

Scrambling down a steep trail now, made of granite and overgrown with tree roots. I'm thrown into what seems like a very vivid memory on top of the dream I'm in. I'm a black man in South Africa, and I'm brandishing a knife, trying to fend off two men who attacked my wife.

Except with roots.

My dream-ego, still looking on from the first dream, hopes that I'm not going to hurt anyone.

My strike goes wide, and I injure my wife instead, watching with horror as her blood spills to the red ground. She's dead so, so quickly. Our local equivalent of a doctor appears, and she tries to slice my wife's body down from the roots that are binding her, thinking she might still be able to save her. She won't. Our son! Our son us still here. I take him and run.

Mortality. Scare Factor: 8. I remember chalking up this one as "The Nightmare of 2009".

I didn't remember the dream until I read about it though. It's not quite so scary when I remember "Dad's fine; I saw him yesterday."

Within the dream, the dream-within-the-dream was a memory of a previous life. It was so vivid, I practically felt the same way when I woke up.
      Last edited by Samael; 05-22-2010 at 05:34 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      I have the feeling that I ran into a recurring character last night, a woman I suspect might be my dream guide. I'm leaning toward a name along the lines of Elaine/Lane/Lana, and I think I used Elaine while I was talking to her. I don't remember what was said.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #17: The Ninja Maid

The people taking a first aid course become evil vampires and Quickton (nickname for the city I'm living in) becomes Sunnydale.

I'm arguing with a character from Naruto (which is odd, since I don't watch it). I think it might be Sasuke. We spot an ambassador for something and make a bet that I can't catch him.

The man is being driven either by a car or a coach, but it's black either way. I follow from the rooftops and then from within buildings, tracking my progress mentally while I can't see the car.

I take a shortcut, arrivin at his home before he does, coming across hostiles as soon as I do. Before I even realize that I've reacted, there are bodies on the floor. I inspect them, coming to the realization that these people were here to kill the ambassador. I just saved his life - this is an in.

Half a dozen people walk happily through the back door, as I wait around a corner for my entrance. Hm. Too many. Presumably the ambassador's wife and family. The bodies disappear with the lack of a thought, and I step out of my hiding place, all smiles.

Well, I'm the maid, of course! I tell them, playing on my gender, charm, and general blondeness. Who wouldn't trust a sweet, unarmed woman? (I tuck the knife/gun in the waistband of my jeans.) You mean you didn't order maid service? I say to the wife. Oh, dear, I say, the company must have made a mistake. Perhaps you can help me with the directions?

I take out a couple pieces of paper with scribbles on them, making up street addresses as I go.

An opportunity to talk to the ambassador arrives, and I take it. It's time to reveal my true purpose. I propose an alliance of sorts, leaning on his gratitude for saving the lives of his family. We have a common enemy after all. Blackmail is also involved.

The Ninja Maid. Scare Factor: 2.
      WakingNomad likes this.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      I think I used to have better dream control than I do now. More frequent lucidity, as well.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #18: Gravity Hack

September 2007

Why walk when you can fly? I have an impression of stone steps and pathways. They cling to the steep, grassy hilltop, jutting out into the wet, grey sky. The pathway seems to be large enough for only one person, but the pair of us climb the steps side by side.

I am looking ahead of us as the path ends at an alcove made of stone and concrete, similar to the one that used to be behind our apartment building in Ixburg, but it doesn't smell like mushrooms. If there is a smell, it's sharp, soft, clean. The smell of rain or of mountain air. On either side of the alcove, a trail begins, forking out from the steps. There the trail barely clings to the steep slope.

I can feel everything around me, imagining the texture of a surface as my eyes glance over it. The pebbles in the pathway, the grass and moss... everything tingles with the prospect of rain.

I let go of the ground, and drift upwards slowly until I am floating about a foot above the path. I am being pulled upward and pushed downward, and I hold on to the feeling. This is effortless.

Like a ghost - a painfully, ecstatically alive ghost - I drift alongside my companion. We discuss this phenomenon. I can still feel the ground, the sky, the grass. I simply didn't want to walk anymore, I explain.

The breeze doesn't occur to me. I am not bothered by rippling air currents. All that exists is the humming force which keeps me suspended in my dreamworld.

Gravity Hack. Scare Factor: 1. I wonder who my guide was in that dream. I think he was part-animal in the mythological sense, somewhat similar to a minotaur. Except more friendly.
      Last edited by Samael; 05-22-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      I really haven't been lucid much since I've joined DV. Odd.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #19: Alternate Perspective Disorientation

I'm in an afterlife version of downtown Quickton, wandering is separately from a group of people. There are at least four people here, but only one that I'm dealing with directly. I'm my female Lucifer character, and a female character is my main focus. I am, quite benevolently, her guide.

I look at the United Church. Cross streets on crosswalks. Generally being a smartass. There's a slight orange filter over everything.

Driving with the group, trying to retrieve something. The ground turns to water. Trying to swim out with buckets. There's a girl with long, blonde curly hair and her boyfriend there, trying to stay afloat with the bucket they're carrying together. Quite a bit of leather between them.

I'm myself, near an approximation of Quickton's high school. There's a lot of concrete. I'm dropping off something for my brother, Ben. I'm driving away down a dirt road when my car stalls, and won't start again. I put it in neutral and coast it down a dip in the road, out of the way. I get out of the car, take a shortcut through someone's house, nervous that the owner might catch me. Back yard, hallway, kitchen. Enter from the west, leave through the south. I have been here before.

I'm an old woman sitting in the third or fourth car of a train. I have the car all to myself. It's cozy, and I'm sipping tea. Bored now. I climb out of a window on the side of the car and haul myself onto the roof. Jump over the other two cars, after curiously investigating the occupants, and greet the driver in the engine. She's looking off to the side, staring at something out of a window. I demand to know what she's looking at, because it might be important. She points, and I guess she's talking about my car.

Ninja Grandma!

I jump from the train without waiting for it to stop and walk through the dark green grass to the orange-lit streets. Traffic is backed up, though people are surprisingly patient. I walk to the very front of the traffic jam, and climb into my car.

I'm a little girl, Alice, and I'm being forced to drive the car by my father/uncle/evil stepfather. I keep adjusting the seat so I can see properly. Driving down a highway, then down a hill under a tunnel in a city.

Wandering through a grand manor full of rich red and orange hues to find my character sitting on the balcony. She looks extremely depressed, but it might actually be a spell. The other characters are concerned.

We're in a cute little house on a hill, all pastels and green grass. I'm either the male or the female main character. Both are magic-users/witches/wizards. The family is almost identical to the Dursleys. Petunia has immaculately permed hair, Dudley looks like Harry, and so does Vernon, really. Except older. I'm aware that Vernon has been making deals with a minor demon/god who, in his true form, looks suspiciously like the Cheschire Cat.

A conversation with the family ends with us being locked in the cellar. I'm a Mia Wasikowska version of Alice, unrelated to the Dursleys. I doubt I've ever met them before. Harry and I plot our escape.

Later, I'm trapped at the kitchen table with Petunia and raspberry jam. Petunia's put on a veneer of politeness (while Harry is still in the cellar), using teatime as an excuse for an interrogation. Petunia doesn't think it's fair that our people keep secrets from her and her family* when the Dursleys are very obviously involved and in danger. Dudley lets us know from the door that Vernon is coming up the hill.

Vernon isn't alone. He steps into the house, perfectly blank in every way. An old man in a bowler hat walks calmly up the trail. He's a dead ringer for the man from a previous nightmare. Or God.

Petunia rushes to Vernon, asking what's wrong as Vernon stands motionlessly as a doll. I keep my attention on the man in the bowler hat, and nod slowly.

"The Lunar God," I say.

The man laughs and says yes, that's him, and Vernon's been dealing with him for quite some time.

He's given up control to you, I say quietly. For everything.

Well of course, but he didn't tell Vernon that beforehand. That would be a poor way to attract followers.

And then I wake up.

Alternate Perspective Disorientation. Scare Factor: 3.

I always wake up when I meet that character.

*She has a point.

ETA: 100th post!
      Last edited by Samael; 03-23-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Edit: Old DC list. Replaced with index in the first post.
      Last edited by Samael; 05-22-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Things to Run Away From Really Fast #20: This is Your Church on Twitter

I meet Willow Rosenburg in yet another universe where Buffy (me) never arrived in Sunnydale. She's actually alive in this one, and seems to be a successful something going to school somewhere.

Cue shenanigans. Running through a mall after a bad guy, considering a shirt on a mannequin. Then there's a car chase through Ixburg.

We've been captured by someone relatively benevolent. I'm not Buffy, but another superhero. I go to sleep, and am treated to a fast-forward view of myself tossing and turning.

I wake up when I realize that there's an old man staring at me creepily, and I find that I'm somewhat glad I'm playing a male character. Probably. My dream-self looks like Nicki Aycox right now, but everyone sees me as a guy? Yeah, I've done this before in a dream. Some interesting conversations happen. Kind of like on the forums here, actually.

Anyway, I'm sitting in the kitchen of the farmhouse, plotting my escape and working on the projects I've been assigned. Willow's here, too. I think they want me to illustrate a comic book, and the people they're working with want me to design a website for them, the Catholic Church in Ixburg. I endeavor to cause their brains to liquefy and dribble out their ears, and decide to add a twitter feed to their homepage.

This is Your Church on Twitter. Scare Factor: 3 for the creepy old guy.
      Last edited by Samael; 03-25-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Forgetting to censor sensitive place-names.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Remember the no colour-coding rule? I lied. Lucidity.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #21: Nitwit Protagonists

Alice and I are having grand adventures in a very big store that, oddly, doesn't change at all throughout the dream. Well, maybe a bit.

A young Draco Malfoy is trying to get me in trouble during class for using a fixative over my charcoal drawing. Prove it, Draco. They like me better than you here.

Horseback riding. I touch my friend on the shoulder and am surprised when a sudden movement causes her to be knocked to the ground. She hits her head on the ground / a rock, hard. After dismounting, my character quickly decides that Alice is dead and she should try to figure out who the murderer is. She gives a Sherlock-style monologue to the two evil stepsisters nearby, also on horseback, about figuring out the murder. In the background, from a third person POV, I'm screaming at my character, "Why don't you start CPR, already?!"

Nitwit Protagonists. Scare Factor: 3. Grr.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #22: Bible Camp.

I'm standing in one of the cabins at a bible camp I used to attend. There are two girls in the room, and the first asks if I'll be staying here. I'm a bit confused, so I say that's possible, as I move my stuff across the room to an empty bed. This is an empty bed, right?

"What year is it?" I ask.

Without even blinking, the first girl replies, "1995". I do some quick calculations and realize that I'm pretty sure I didn't go to bible camp until '96 or '97. Briefly, my dream-self is my present-me, though no one other than me notices. I concentrate on shrinking myself to a point where I'll fit the story.

The first girl wants to make me feel better, so she hands me a 1995 issue of Climbing, still in plastic. I'm pretty excited, so I thank her and take the package, tearing it open. I ask if I can use the poster insert for the week, to hang on the wall. (Note: my real bedroom walls are plastered with climbing posters, art, postcards, and maps.) I notice that I've ripped the cover up the spine a bit, so I look for some tape to fix it.

Girl #1 asks me not to tell on her for using the word "hell".

I look around my suitcase and find a spiral bound notebook small enough to fit in the pocket of my cargo pants. The front pages are already filled with dream journal entries prefixed by the "~" I use in my written journal. I grab a pen, too. Might as well start on the kid genius routine to get a few writings published early.

Girl #2 is reading a book when the counsellor walks in, a girl with black curly hair who, huh, would actually be younger than me in real life. Weird. She praises the little girl with long blonde hair, who just looks more and more annoyed as she's praised and showered with gold stars and cabin points.

Hey, I remember that. In grade three. With the book on volcanoes. Hm.

Girl #1 immediately scoops up a book and pretends she was reading the whole time. The cabin counsellor looks at me expectantly.

"Eh heh, no." I say flatly, "I just finished reading The Great Gatsby; I'm going outside."

I wander away, looking for something to do. None of my contingency plans for time travel to bible camp go farther than "try not to get exorcised".

I sit on a swing and recognize a few relatives from an inlawish side of the family that doesn't actually exist yet. As I probably haven't met them, I resolve to swing on swings. And ask people what they would do if they got to relive their respective childhoods. Other than die of boredom.

Whatever it was that I decided to do, it got me in trouble, all right. There's a boy from the swing set crying in the kitchen we've been left in, repeatedly saying, "I'm going to hell!" I try to reassure him by saying that there's no such thing as hell; it's just a story. I stop short of saying "There's also no God, Easter Bunny, or Santa Claus," because that would just be mean. Oddly, the boy doesn't seem to have calmed down at all. So I ignore him.

From what they tell me, I'm half-sure they're going to get me to do their accounting for them. It turns out that the Mad Hatter intervened and I get to serve my time in the kitchen developing new flavours of candy. Mad Hatter, Willy Wonka, either way, I get to hang out with Johnny Depp.

Lucid moments while I'm waking up, or they wake me up. Dream scenes fade, swirling away into a brown-black nothing, while I hold on to the feeling of whatever I'm touching at the moment.

Bible Camp. Scare Factor: 2, oddly enough.
      Last edited by Samael; 05-22-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Things to Run Away From Really Fast #23: Nitwit Protagonists Take 2

Perspective switches like whoa.

Mad Scientists in Halifax. There's a pool ready for some Olympic event, and there are a lot of people crowded throughout the room, but no one in the pool.

Sex dream with a random dream-guy.

I'm travelling through a Middle Eastern country by car. Two families are in the car together, neither is mine, and the characters who are sitting in the 5-person capacity car keep rotating out on me. We/They are passing farms on either side, scattered across the hilly prairie like they are, well, on the prairies. The hills are practically mountainous, they're so steep, and the grid road has been built up a lot so that it doesn't have to follow such a treacherous path. I see people wandering the hills on camels, and wonder if I'm driving through a stereotype. Miranda's driving. I collaborate with a girl in the backseat, trying to find a way to make bread on the road. Just... because.

We/They are walking into a tourist trap.

"McDonald's!" I cry with faux glee. They really are everywhere, goddamnit.

The group heads to a sign that says bathrooms, and also has baths. We've been on the road for a while, and would really appreciate a chance to get clean. These are public baths, divided by gender. The group crowds around the front desk, looking at the signs on the desk for how much it would cost them to use the baths.

Somehow, this represents prices.

One of the girls catches up just as the rest of the group goes in. She doesn't have enough money? So she/I go(es) into one of the unisex bathrooms that are supposed to be private. Some random freaky guy shows up and she/I kick(s) his ass in a fight and then she takes off. Then I'm collectively the entire group of girls trying to figure out what happened and making up the story as they go.

Someone who looks like Cordelia Chase shows up and starts insulting everyone who works at the front desk no matter what their nationality is. DC behind the desk shifts into four different people.

I might be in an episode of a made-up season of Digimon, except there are no Digimon. There is an attempt to peer and squint at my handwriting, before I give up and just make shit up a group of characters that are replaced by new people when the original characters are taken out of the game die. A girl named Risa Cooper becomes the new Joy to much fanfare. She might be the girl from the previous dream.

There are two boys who seem to be best enemies. I alternate between their points of view for a while. Apparently, one of them is destined to kill the other, but neither of them wants to very much. They keep getting near to finishing the other one off, then backing off and doing it all again. They work together to defeat a monster. Then they put the eggs of the monster in the ground with the body and a bunch of fish or something. Then they bury it and decide that will hold them for a few years. Zooming back into a view of the desert.

I'm watching the episode online, and think about leaving a review via Stumbleupon along the lines of "You fucking idiots, why do you not smash things to pieces then bury everything in separate fucking places so they do not immediately have something to feed on upon hatching."

Nitwit Protagonists Take 2. Scare Factor: 3. Reaction: WTF.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Three weeks without missing a day and suddenly something interesting happens on the weekend.

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #24: Really Mad Hostages.

A man is holding me and two other woman captive. We're being kept in the employee section of a motel in Ixburg, and though I pretty much wander around as I do in other dreams, the women who are with me are terrified.

I'm left alone in the laundry room, which comes complete with all the stuff involved in running a motel. I idly search through needle-nosed pliers and other vaguely pointy things, before I pull a box cutter from the cleaning cart on the west wall. I use the pliers to pry the safety-features from the knife. I hear footsteps. The man walks into the room.

I have him pinned to the wall with a knife to his throat before he can blink. I can feel the savage grin splitting my face as I call to one of the other women. Lucy - long, curly brown hair - is standing down the hallway, looking nervous. I tell the man not to move; I won't hesitate to cut him open.

"You wouldn't dare."

"Oh, I really, really would."

Lucy hands me the phone in lieu of phoning 911 herself. I'm wondering if she can still speak.

"They're not going to believe you," says the man. "They're going to think you did this."

I ignore him.

"Amy speaking."

Confused, I ask, "Um, this is 911?"

"Yes."

"Wait, Amy?"

"Sam? Is that you?"

I break myself out of my reverie. "Amy, I need police -" I glance at Lucy, "and an ambulance at the Ixburg Inn." I briefly explain the situation.

"Phone number?" Remembrances of the first aid course I took.

I list off the phone number for the motel, as I remember it.

The man laughs. "It's been a while since you've lived here, hasn't it? We changed the phone number!"

"I gave them the address!"

The man may or may not have lived to stand trial.

Really Mad Hostages. Scare Factor: 3.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he did live, considering he was following me through a museum later on. Any tips for dealing with in-dream stalkers? Anyone?

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #25: Amestrian Conspiracies Involving Your Protagonist.

Overlooking a dirt street from the rooftops. A man is talking to a thief-girl he saw on the street. She bolts, and he makes no move to catch her. The girl swings her way onto the rooftops, moving directly past my hiding place. I'm immediately in pursuit. She panics, makes her way to a pillar jutting from the roof, hoping for a reprieve. It should be impossible to climb, but I use my momentum to move upwards and find handholds where there are none.

I may not be an alchemist, but I have my own talents.

I face off against the girl on top of an eight foot circle of concrete.

"I'm not going to hurt you," I say, "I just need to know what he told you."

The girl lashes out at me, shrieking. I dodge her easily. She strikes again, goes wide, and loses her footing - I grab onto her tattered cloak, and her momentum pulls me with her from the top of the tower. I'm holding onto the edge with one hand, but if I want to keep the girl from falling, I have to let go.

I let go of the wall entirely, touching only with my feet. I'm holding the girl in my arms and am standing at a ninety degree angle to the wall. There's a moment of breathless surprise from the girl in my arms before I jump -

We land easily on the roof below the tower.

I have a quick conversation with the dazed pickpocket, who takes off after giving me the information I need. I don't follow.

"Elric!" I shout to the street. The man from before, with long, dark hair and glasses, looks up at me, quietly amused. I drop down to the dirt road in order to interrogate him more quietly. Alphonse doesn't back down. "I need to talk to your brother."

The conversation goes nowhere, and I find myself tailing the younger Elric brother from the rooftops. I stay low, watching the reactions of the AS2-style city guards so I don't have to keep him in my direct line of sight.

I follow him to a building with glass double-doors, and I drop down onto the street. I walk toward the guard. I think about giving him a three-digit code for "I'm following that guy; don't get in my way," but I'm bad with numbers while I'm dreaming. I nod at the DC, willing him to pass on the message. It worked. As I walk down the hallway, I'm aware of the DC passing it on to the other guards in the area.

Alphonse is reporting to someone in an office with a glass wall. I can't keep the woman from seeing me, but Alphonse has his back to me, and I walk past the office as if I belong there, into an L-shaped corridor. As I round the corner I have a brief 3rd person glimpse of myself wearing Assassin's White. I stand at the edge of the glass wall, behind curtains, trying to hear what's being said.

((Note: Deliberate perspective leaps could be useful while spying. Try to induce these deliberately.))

The meeting is over and I quickly move down the hallway into an unexplored room. As I open the door, I realize that this is Edward Elric's study. I notice the cot jammed into the far corner. Or bedroom. Black blankets are piled around the room and I briefly consider hiding under a pile as Alphonse opens the door. Only, that would be undignified.

No, it's time for a two-sided interrogation. This should be fun.

Amestrian Conspiracies Involving Your Protagonist. Scare Factor: 2.

Adversary Achievements:
      DJ Entries
      Yesterday:

Things to Run Away From Really Fast #26: Teletubbies

There's a tall building reaching to the sky in a giant spiral. It has something to do with Bruce Wayne, I think I met him, I don't know. I'm exploring the huge building when I happen onto a route outside. I've found a viewpoint from Assassin's Creed. For some reason, I need the eagle, so I sneak up to it and catch it! I'm holding onto the eagle as I jump, knowing that I'm about to fly up into the sky!

I fall. And fall, and fall, and fall, and (viewpoints are very high up, you know) fall. I twist around to protect the bird I'm holding in my hands, and land on my side without much of an impact. Aside from turning into a very small owl, the bird is fine. I'm glad, but I'm also very disappointed at the lack of flying.

I'm in a space station, trying to sabotage a robot, because it is evil. I pop the robot's cassette tape from a wall, and move over to a desk. Or a checkout. I think I'm resisting the change from space station to convenience store.

Two female DCs are freaking out on me (one is my fictional boss on the project), wondering what the hell I'm doing with that tape because it could ruin the whole project. They're not getting in my way, so I ignore them. I pop the tape into a recording device and record the ambient noise. I briefly consider reprogramming the robot by manipulating the sounds being recorded.

Teletubbies are attacking the earth.

They're flying in from outer space and attacking us. I zoom into the tall cylinder building from a previous dream and start fighting teletubbies.

Teletubbies. Scare Factor: 2. Reaction: Kill them.
      Last edited by Samael; 05-22-2010 at 06:55 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast