• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

Thread: "New" Method: RC-MILD

The world is open source <span class='glow_FFA500'>LiveInTheDream</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      where you are not
      DJ Entries

"New" Method: RC-MILD

Last night I spontaneously thought up this new mixture of techniques, gave it a shot, and it worked first try, so I figured it might be worth sharing with everyone else

Summary:

I call it RC-MILD, because basically what you do is MILD, only you drop the mantra and replace it with one solid, thorough reality check in hopes that this will be the last thing you really think about, and thus it will bleed into your dreams (possibly even multiple times in one night!)

How to do it:

~0: (Optional) Do reality checks during the day

~1: Get in bed and begin to go to sleep normally, but don't actually fall asleep! The point is to get close to sleep before you do the RC so as to make sure that it is the last thing you remember doing before falling completely asleep. How long you'll want to wait before forcing yourself to set up varies greatly from person to person and even night to night. Some people fall asleep faster than others, and even then everyone falls asleep faster or slower than usual based on what they did/didn't do during the day. So don't set an alarm or anything; just wait until you feel like you could fall asleep very soon, no matter how long or short of a time it takes to get there.

~2: When you feel like you're close to falling asleep, sit up and ask yourself: "Am I dreaming?" Really think about that question; don't just let it idly pass by! Look around your room, see if anything is out of the ordinary, notice little details, etc. For me, eventually this all proves inconclusive, as anything that is out of the ordinary could just be real life, but it could be a dream, and if nothing is out of the ordinary, it could be real life, but it could be a false awakening. But whether or not you feel it is conclusive evidence of your state, you should do a final check by pinching your nose and trying to breath in. I find it helpful to do this multiple times, pinching my nose with different fingers each time, or pinching it with my knuckles instead of my fingertips, so I don't accidentally really pinch my nose IRL during the dream and mess up the RC.

~3: Go to sleep. Simple as that. Don't think about anything else after this; just lay back down and let yourself go to sleep. Optimal circumstance would be that you are completely asleep within the next couple minutes and have not let your mind wander to anything else.

~4: Reality check in the dream when the impulse to do so comes.

~5: Enjoy being lucid!

Final Thoughts:

And that's about it! Last night I tried this and had an LD very quickly, and I hadn't done an RC during the day even once! I'd given thought to lucid dreams, but no more than usual, so I can't pin my LD on simply thinking about it, either. I really think this is what got it for me, and I'll be sure to keep trying it. Hope you all find it helpful!
      Last edited by LiveInTheDream; 05-04-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: cleanup and additional details

Click on the sig to view my dream journal!
      Click here to check out the Facebook page for 'The Lucid Dream' (1 & 2) short films!
      "What is an RC-MILD?" Click here to find out!

MY Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      5000+
      US
      DJ Entries
      Wow! Very Interesting. It may just work for me. Thumbs up.

-CV
      Having Trouble With Dream Control and Clarity? Reflex Stabilization Technique

The world is open source <span class='glow_FFA500'>LiveInTheDream</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      where you are not
      DJ Entries
      Let us know how it works out!

Click here to check out the Facebook page for 'The Lucid Dream' (1 & 2) short films!

MY Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      5000+
      US
      DJ Entries
      Will do LiveInTheDream, I am sure that this might work exceptionally well. I am also trying my own technique, but I will try this one tonight instead.
      If you want to check out another cool idea, look at this tut:
      http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...ad.php?t=96389

-CV
      Having Trouble With Dream Control and Clarity? Reflex Stabilization Technique

http://bit.ly/GoToCME Clyde Machine's Avatar
      LD Count
      Above 31.
      Midland, Michigan
      DJ Entries
      Sounds like a pretty cool method, I like that it requires that you REALLY check your surroundings, and really have to prove to yourself that you're really awake - I haven't seen as much emphasis on this particular aspect of other methods that just say to RC and make your conclusion. This one comes off as, "RC, then really RC, then REALLY RC." I like it! Good luck to everyone who tries this method.
      DV Dictionary. / Verious: a definition. /

I'm not on DV much these days, but I'll try to toss a cool dream or two into my DJ.

Flailing chicken barnacle Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Earth
      DJ Entries
      This is absolute genius.
      I've GOT to try this tonight.
      Alex is greatest. He <i>is</i> the Master Flan.

LD Count
      where you are not
      DJ Entries
      Let us know how it goes! I'd be interested to see if it works for anyone else

Realm apprentice Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Over 10
      Bulgaria
      I think I've actually managed something similar several times already. Good tactic.

Canada
      Im one of those people who fall asleep very fast, so I am going to try this tonight. Thanks for the post!!
      Ld's: 2 (DILD: 2)
      Dreams remembered since joining DV: 161

A fundamental mistake of man's:
      "To think that he is alive, when he has merely fallen asleep in life's waiting room." Idries Shah

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      thanx, i'll give it a shot!

thanks good idea, ill try this right now

The i's are invisible. Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      Interesting.

I'll give it a shot in place of a standard MILD the next time I feel like putting forth some effort.

LD Count
      111 +
      DJ Entries
      This is very interesting.

Are you still having success with this technique, LiveInTheDream?

Anyone else getting results?
      My LDing record, if you want to hear about it, is about 4 WILDs, 1 DEILD, and the rest DILDs.

LD Count
      where you are not
      DJ Entries
      Well I have succeeded more than once, as you can see in my sig, but to be honest I haven't tried this method--or any method, really--in a very long time. Life's just been too crazy

Things are about to calm down for me though, so hopefully I can put more effort into experimenting with RC-MILD soon.

Anime addict Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Thanks LiveInTheDream, for the awesome new variation on the MILD technique. I tried it last night for the first time and it worked great. I had an awesome ld! I was surprised at how little effort it took to preform the technique and yet have such great results. I just laid in bed for a while and let my thoughts run wild as i was getting closer to sleep. When i thought that i could fall asleep easily, i sat up and looked at both my alarm clock and the clock on my vcr. I would look at the clocks, turn my head, say some random time in my mind and look back to see if they changed. Of course they didn't change because i wasn't dreaming...yet. Then just to make perfectly sure that it wasn't a dream, i did the nose-pinch rc (which is what i've found to be the easiest and most reliable rc). After doing a thorough rc, i kept that as the last thought as i fell asleep. Then in one of my dreams before 6 a.m. i spontaneously thought to become lucid.

Thanks alot for the awesome technique! I'm definitely going to try an make this a routine thing before going to sleep everynight. If this worked so great the first night, i'm sure it will work again.
      LiveInTheDream likes this.
      LD Goals: [] Have a successful VILD [] Take crazy, hallucinogenic, euphoric drug [] Fly through multi-colored ice cavern while "Surfing with the Alien" by Joe Satriani plays [] Fight a hollow, while using Zangetsu

"Lucid dreaming. Where you're limited only by your imagination and your ability to control it." - by me

LD Count
      where you are not
      DJ Entries
      Awesome! Glad to hear it's working for someone else! Nice job

DJ Entries
      I don't tend to fall asleep very quickly so this technique isn't ideal for me personally.

For those trying it, though, instead of asking yourself, "Am I dreaming?" and testing before you fall asleep... another possibility would be stating, "I'm dreaming!", believing it, and holding that perception as steadily as possible for the remainder of your waking time, so it might carry over.
      whiterain likes this.

LD Count
      where you are not
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Lakona View Post
      I don't tend to fall asleep very quickly so this technique isn't ideal for me personally.
      Actually, it doesn't really matter how quickly you fall asleep. What matters is just that you can tell when you're close, however long it may take to get there. Everybody gets there sooner or later, it just may be harder for some to recognize when they're almost asleep, but not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakona View Post
      For those trying it, though, instead of asking yourself, "Am I dreaming?" and testing before you fall asleep... another possibility would be stating, "I'm dreaming!", believing it, and holding that perception as steadily as possible for the remainder of your waking time, so it might carry over.
      I can verify this works. Did that a few months ago with success

I just found out about LD yesterday, but I remember when i was a kid whenever I want to wake up early at a specific time like 6am i keep repeating myself "wake up at 6, wake up at 6" and imagine the 6 in the clock. And it work all the time, I woke up at exact 6am, without using alarm clock of course. Kinda related to the OP's method i guess.

Anime addict Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      I tried it again last night. I didn't go lucid this time, but i got about as close as i could without actually getting lucid. I had a very long portion of a dream trying to teach my mom about lding. I was showing her youtube videos related to lding. It's ashame i didn't get lucid, but i believe it was the RC-MILD that gave the dream the theme of lucid dreaming. I'm going to give it another shot tonight and see if i can get another success. I'm feeling confident about it.
      LD Goals: [] Have a successful VILD [] Take crazy, hallucinogenic, euphoric drug [] Fly through multi-colored ice cavern while "Surfing with the Alien" by Joe Satriani plays [] Fight a hollow, while using Zangetsu

"Lucid dreaming. Where you're limited only by your imagination and your ability to control it." - by me

Dreamer Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Gastonia,NC
      DJ Entries
      Thanks for the method!

I'll give it a go tonight and update with results in the morning

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Not enough
      I was hoping you could tell me
      interesting... what about combining this technique with your hipnosis technique? like do the hipnosis technique and replace the mantra with the thourough RC? i'll try this technique tonight by itself and see what happens. Thanks for sharing!
      I have returned, but I'm not the same
      I'm a shadow, a shell, it's no longer a game
      Peace is dead, peace is gone
      All that remains is a chilling song

LD Count
      48LD 2AP
      DJ Entries
      Definitely worth a try and seems easy!
      "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience" ~Chardin~

I've Returned Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class 10000 Hall Points
      USA
      Awesome! I'm going to try this!

Web of dreams Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger Second Class Created Dream Journal Populated Wall Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Miami, ok
      DJ Entries
      So it's a DILD? I see no difference.

I do like how you emphasis the "really question" it part. But really people should know that. Of course this will help with the noobs.

And sense you took out the mantra it's no longer a MILD.

That's like saying "I'm going to make a toasted peanut butter sandwich, but instead of peanut butter I'm going to use butter." well that's just toast.

I was always a dreamer, in childhood especially. People thought I was a little strange.-Charley pride

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast