• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Incubating Dream Signs

Waterbender Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV
      LD Count
      Not enough
      Ba Sing Se
      DJ Entries

Lightbulb Incubating Dream Signs

Hello! Well this is gonna be long, please bear with me.

A few weeks ago we were discussing dream incubation on DVA chat, and an idea came to mind. Instead of incubating a dream, why not incubate a dream sign? This particularly struck me because I suck so much at visualization, and I have a hard time imagining/visualizing full dream scenes in my head. On the other hand, incubating a dream sign would require a bit less visualization, and they're fairly quick and easy to carry out throughout the day.

I've been doing it for a couple of weeks now, and it seems to be working. Here's what I do:

1. I go through my DJ and pick a dream sign I want to incubate, preferably a prominent dream sign. In this case I will choose snakes, as they often pop up in my dreams.

2. Throughout the day, when I remember to do it, I pause (or sometimes I don't pause at all) and imagine seeing the dream sign (snakes) pop up at random places. I think this part is good, since in dreams, objects often appear out of nowhere, and we don't really think about it. Training myself to react to random appearing things would be good, and it would help build up awareness as well.

3. Once I have imagined my dream sign popping up, I do a reality check -- not just a mindless RC but an RC with conviction, so to speak -- as if it were really a dream and snakes really did pop up.

So that's basically it. I do it several times a day. Ever since I started doing this, the certain dream sign I'm incubating would pop up even more frequently in my dreams, and I've been lucky enough to get lucid through most of them. I think that the best thing about this is that even though they don't appear randomly in your dream, you yourself can make them appear (even when non-lucid), since you are used to imagining them pop up on your own -- kind of like manifesting/summoning. Moreover, I like doing this because I don't see most of my dream signs in everyday life, as they are a bit strange and uncommon.

I've also tried this with large-scale dream signs such as a beach, where I would imagine hearing/seeing ocean waves in the distance. Or even stranger, waterbending. I would imagine manipulating any pool of water I see, and even though I can't really control it, I would follow it up with a reality check so it bleeds into my subconscious. You may also incubate emotions, or events as well, such as recounting the feeling of being chased, etc.

Lastly, I would like to emphasize that it is not good to rely on dream signs alone. This is only an idea I would like to share. Awareness is always key, as it is the utmost thing that makes you realize something's wrong in the dream, and thus makes you lucid. That's why it's good to incorporate an RC to prove/disprove the suspicion.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that made as much sense as I hoped it would. Lol. But I'd love to get your input on it! If you want, you can try it out and tell me if it works for you or not. Good luck, and see ya around!

CLICK THIS FOR THE DREAM INCUBATION TUTORIAL
      Last edited by paigeyemps; 07-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Maybe it's a dream and if I scream, it will burst at the seams.

sigpic by kraom

Melting Rainbows Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Great idea! Probably the best way I've seen to counter the problem that people have with dream signs not showing up in their waking life.

Next time I get some more prominent dream signs, I'll go ahead and give this a shot.
      Check out my DreamViews Podcast with OpheliaBlue!

The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary.

No sailor controls the sea. Only a foolish sailor would say such a thing. Similarly, no lucid dreamer controls the dream.
      Like a sailor on the sea, we lucid dreamers direct our perceptual awareness within the larger state of dreaming.

MILDer Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class Populated Wall Referrer Silver Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      ?
      Away
      DJ Entries
      I like the idea. Especially since i currently incubate my own dreams. Hopefully this will make my incubation more effective or i will have to kill you . I'm gonna try incubate my dreamsign where I find that there are never many people in my dreams and i will RC when i am alone or only with family and friends.
      Like i said if it doesn't work. You dead.

Banned
      Sunny Scotland
      Good idea for shizzle! Seriously, a lot of people don't put enough emphasis on their dream signs, hopefully this will help.

Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV
      LD Count
      Not enough
      Ba Sing Se
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
      Hopefully this will make my incubation more effective or i will have to kill you

Like i said if it doesn't work. You dead.
      O____________________O

lmfao you almost gave me a heart attack. I'm so going to choke you in chat.

sigpic by kraom

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Tranquility
      DJ Entries
      I always thought it was unusual why you would try to find dreamsigns and then use them in real life, when I still tried Mild I would just RC and do some awareness mantras everytime I saw a door because they pop up in all my dreams. It makes more sense to me, making something significant in walking life then hoping it pops up in a dream than the other way around.

Sound Manipulator Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      London
      DJ Entries
      Great idea, as I too suffer from infrequent dream signs, the main one being fights - I'm a softie at heart

I'll be sure to try this!
      GOALS - GLORY FOR TEAM INSTINCT
      DILD [ ] /// Chain a Lucid Dream [ ] /// Stabilise [ ] /// Ask someone what the time is [ ]
      Turn on a computer and jump into it [ ] /// Fly out the Earth's atmosphere [ ] /// Telekinesis [ ] /// Jump through door [ ]
      Listen to my favourite record [ ] /// Jump down two flights of steps without breaking the old kneecaps [ ] /// Smoke a fatty [ ]

Banned
      LD Count
      Counts fingers
      Austin
      DJ Entries
      It sounds like a great idea.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Great idea! I wish I had a dream sign though. ):
      DILD: 9 | MILD: - | DEILD: - | WILD: 2
      OBE: 3 | AP: -

I can see you sleep through your bedroom window. You're killing yourself with lucid dreaming.

Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      London
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Crashyy View Post
      You don't have anything that recurs from time to time in your dreams?
      DILD [ ] /// Chain a Lucid Dream [ ] /// Stabilise [ ] /// Ask someone what the time is [ ]
      Turn on a computer and jump into it [ ] /// Fly out the Earth's atmosphere [ ] /// Telekinesis [ ] /// Jump through door [ ]
      Listen to my favourite record [ ] /// Jump down two flights of steps without breaking the old kneecaps [ ] /// Smoke a fatty [ ]

San Antonio, TX
      DJ Entries
      I was wondering if anyone else had done this and what kind of sucess they had with it :3

The very first time I tried making my own dream sign I doodled an orange tree and kept imagining I'd see the tree in my bedroom. In my dream the tree wasn't in my bedroom, but it was just outside. It helped me affirm the dreamstate and it was tasty too (no wait butterscotch is horrible)

But, I couldn't get my orange tree to show up again in my dreams. Incubating dream signs is fun, but its kinda a hit-n-miss.

Banned
      USA
      DJ Entries
      Nice post. Any technique that utilizes visualization is definitely on the right path , IMHO. This is because we dream and we imagine in the same area of our big brain.

LD Count
      Not enough
      Ba Sing Se
      DJ Entries
      Awww that's alright! If you want, you can still try to incubate a dream sign you would like to have. It might still work And you'll end up having that as a dream sign for real

But, I couldn't get my orange tree to show up again in my dreams. Incubating dream signs is fun, but its kinda a hit-n-miss.
      You're right, it is kind of hit-n-miss D: But then again, I think everything is, to a certain extent, as everything is subjective and works different for everyone. Whatever works for you, I guess. Thank you for your insight

Thanks everyone
      Crashyy likes this.

sigpic by kraom

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by moSh View Post
      You don't have anything that recurs from time to time in your dreams?
      Well I do, Sometimes I dream about a certain place in my town. But my dream characters are most of the time different and there isn't an item that keeps appearing. :L

I can see you sleep through your bedroom window. You're killing yourself with lucid dreaming.

LD Count
      London
      DJ Entries
      Well I do, Sometimes I dream about a certain place in my town. But my dream characters are most of the time different and there isn't an item that keeps appearing. :L
      How about a theme or event? For example there's often a fight or angry confrontation in mine. It doesn't necessarily have to be something physical, it might be that you always find yourself feeling a certain emotion, or in some sort of situation.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      How about a theme or event? For example there's often a fight or angry confrontation in mine. It doesn't necessarily have to be something physical, it might be that you always find yourself feeling a certain emotion, or in some sort of situation.
      I just went through my dream journal again and I couldn't find an event or emotions that occur in my dreams. I just feel 'normal' in my dreams with hardly any emotions

LD Count
      London
      DJ Entries
      I just went through my dream journal again and I couldn't find an event or emotions that occur in my dreams. I just feel 'normal' in my dreams with hardly any emotions
      That's a shame... Maybe you could look into incubating dreams? I don't know how easy it is, but maybe you could somehow influence which dream signs arise?

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      That's a shame... Maybe you could look into incubating dreams? I don't know how easy it is, but maybe you could somehow influence which dream signs arise?
      So you mean like just choose an item which you want as a dream signs. And keep doing reality checks to that?

LD Count
      London
      DJ Entries
      I suppose, and also trying to force it into your dreams at the same time. I've not tried it before, but some people have sworn by mantras before bed, so maybe reciting 'I will dream about toothbrushes' every night will work?
      paigeyemps likes this.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      I suppose, and also trying to force it into your dreams at the same time. I've not tried it before, but some people have sworn by mantras before bed, so maybe reciting 'I will dream about toothbrushes' every night will work?
      That's a great idea man! Thanks for all your help, I'm definately going to try tha!!

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Tranquility
      DJ Entries
      That's a great idea man! Thanks for all your help, I'm definately going to try tha!!
      Just remember like paigeyemps said in her OP, awareness is still key, up to 90% of your dreams won't be cause by a dreamsign or an RC unless your quite good at LDing already. Along with any extra techniques your main focus should stilll be no awareness.
      Crashyy likes this.

LD Count
      Not enough
      Ba Sing Se
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by dutchraptor View Post
      Just remember like paigeyemps said in her OP, awareness is still key, up to 90% of your dreams won't be cause by a dreamsign or an RC unless your quite good at LDing already. Along with any extra techniques your main focus should stilll be no awareness.

I really hope that 2nd to the last word was a typo. Lmao

Oh, and I agree with moSh, mantras and autosuggestion can work wonders! You can give it a try, and see if it works well with you. Mantras are, in some way, a form of incubation -- just more on the verbal part I guess.

sigpic by kraom

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      In DV +216
      In a Universe
      DJ Entries
      I knew it was possible!! Let me express you my most sincere congratulations because of I wouldn't be able to find the way by my own... I would like to try it now and then I would like to give you some feedback.
      paigeyemps likes this.

LD Count
      Not enough
      Ba Sing Se
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Box77 View Post
      I knew it was possible!! Let me express you my most sincere congratulations because of I wouldn't be able to find the way by my own... I would like to try it now and then I would like to give you some feedback.
      That's really great to hear. Please do tell me how it turns out for you, I would love to hear your feedback. If it works, awesome! If it doesn't, at least you'll know. Good luck! And happy dreaming
      Box77 likes this.

sigpic by kraom

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      In DV +216
      In a Universe
      DJ Entries
      Wonderful! By now, It's awesome the way how increased my awareness. I'm using coins since it was one of my first dream signs when I was a kid.

Edit: This dream sign has not appeared since a very long time in my dreams and, curiously, my 2 year old kid started to play with her piggy spreading her coins all around. Perhaps it could intensify the incubation process although basically I'm using your point 2.
      Last edited by Box77; 08-04-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast