• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Thread: Kava

Undisclosed location

Kava

Kava is a term used for both the plant and the beverage made from it.
      aslo known as kavakava, awa and yagona.
      It is used for:
      1.Anxiety Disorders
      2.Panic disorders
      3.Everyday stress
      4.Phobias
      5.Muscle reaxation
      6.Pain relief

As an anxiety sufferer myself I tend to take notice when somthing is brought up to control it.
      I have tried it and I like it.
      The main reason is because it is like a muscle relaxent as opposed to somthing like valarian which sedates you. You can maintain mental alertness and not feel groggy like you would on prescription SSRIs or tranquilizers.
      It is noted that if you are prescribed an anti anxiety med then you should consult your doctor before using Kava.

It is recommened to start with 40 milligrams.

Undisclosed location
      My wife has a book on Kava that I did not even know about
      (Kava, The miracle antianxiety herb) By Ray Sahelian, M.D.

TRADITIONAL KAVA PREPARATION

Place approximately 3 to 6 rounded tablespoons of kava (more or less depending on your preference) in a filter cloth and immerse in one quart of room temperature water; there is no need to either heat or chill the water. We recommend using a filter cloth such as our Authentic Fiji Strainer Bag; other fabrics that work well are pantyhose, paint strainer bags, cloth tea bags, etc. For at least 1 -2 minutes massage the cloth to thoroughly extract the fine wet powder into the water while retaining the coarse left-overs in the bag, for stronger flavor massage longer. You need to really squeeze and work the kava while it is in the strainer bag, not just let it soak like a bag of tea! At the end of this process wring out the cloth (and coarse left-overs) of any excess water and the kava is ready to drink. For a kava party use about 4 to 6 oz. of kava powder to 1 gal. of water. Drink and enjoy! This is the way kava is prepared throughout the Polynesian islands of the South Pacific. Learn to enjoy the unique flavor of kava, but if you wish to enhance the flavor, sweetener may be added as well as fruit juice or your favorite herbs such as: licorice powder, fresh grated ginger, etc. Kava is not soluble in water therefore you try to release as much fine powder as possible into the water and keep it suspended with frequent stirring. Below are some more imaginative kava recipes from Kule'a Farm Kava drinkers!
      KAVA CHAI A recipe I've been working on perfecting is spiced chai-style kava. I found straight kava to be a little strange, so I like to brew a pot of concentrated spiced-chai style kava to be mixed with the desired amount of hot milk, & sweetened with the desired amount of honey. I just simmer a smallish pot of water with a double-load of kava, healthy measures of cloves, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, cardamom, and nutmeg. After it's brewed to the desired strength, I'll pour the mixture through the straining bag to filter out the solids, which leaves me with the brew that I can add any amount of hot milk I like. The spice amounts to add will vary depending on how spicy people like their beverage. You can make large batches of the concentrate to refrigerate once your favorite measurements are established, to avoid doing the brewing process each time you want a cup. You can even froth your milk & make it a kava-latte! Hope you enjoy!

S. Mcgourty (Oakland, CA)
      VANILLA KAVA Like your ideas of sharing stories & recipes. Here is a short recipe. This will be for the people that like something QUICK & EASY!! Just add a few drops of vanilla extract to each cup of Kava made. It mellows the flavour. ....Enjoy....

K. Woodcock (Ontario, Canada)
      KAVA MILK SHAKE Here's a Kava recipe I tried and liked: Take Kava powder and mix it through a strainer bag into milk, just like you do with water. Then, put this milk into your blender and add your favorite ice cream. You could add anything else you want, too. Mix it up and you have a Kava milk shake! It is very refreshing, es
      pecially if you use mint chocolate chip ice cream (my favorite kind). Hope you like it!

R. Nelson (Provo, UT)
      FIZZY KAVA Wish I had a neat recipe to contribute, but I've gotten to like the taste of Kava. Occasionally I'll use seltzer water for fizzy kava, but that's not particularly imaginative.

G. Crowley (Washington, DC)

LEMON KAVA I mix about one half cup of kava with 32 oz of water and flavor it with just a touch of lemon flavored crystal light(it has to be lemon). The secret is to NOT make it taste like lemonade, but just to mask and add a hint of lemon to the natural kava taste.(approx. 1 tsp, and it has to be sugar free).

L. Mitchell (Gilbert, AZ)
      CINNAMON SPICE KAVA This is the recipe for a 3 cup batch "Espresso" style brew... Warning: this may exceed the recommended daily FDA limitations, so drink with caution! For smoothest flavor, temperature of water is very important, hence the different temps. of water. Anyways, here it is: Fill bowl with: 2 cups ice cold water, 1 cup room temp. water. Fill fine mesh strainer with: 6 heaping teaspoons of Kule'a Farm Kava powder, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon powder. Dip strainer bag in water and be sure to agitate contents thoroughly for full dispersion of the magic Kava. ENJOY!

Thanks for the information man, I will try and read this sometime as I am fascinated by Kava Kava. I myself suffer from Anxiety, I used Kava Kava for a while but its illegal in the UK (don’t know the reason) I haven’t ordered any in ages, have to re-order soon as my anxiety have been getting worse! I find that using this type of medicine makes me feel better about myself, the kava root tastes amazing as a tea, with lots of honey (Yum Yum).
      "I was looking back to see if you were looking back at me to see me looking back at you".

Be Here Now

Yeah Kava has a nice effect on me, just not so keen on the taste. I did it a while ago at boarding school (looking for cheap, legal highs) and instead of straining it just boiled couple of spoonfuls in water and drank it 'roots and all'. Kinda tastes like detergent... nice. But it was soooo relaxing, and I had very nice, deep sleeps for the remainder of the week. I haven't tried it since, but I will do so the next time I get the chance. Might try a few of those recipies to try nd mask the taste.

I'm not sure if the sleep induction from this will make you sleep too heavily for proper use with lucid dreaming. Maybe I was taking too much, but I remember that during the time I took it I could not easily remember my dreams.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Created Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points
      Zagreb
      DJ Entries
      I have nothing to say about this topic except that kava in my language (Croatian) means coffee!

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      USA
      I use this herb frequently. And yes, it does rule. I take kava in capsule form, again for anxiety, and it works extremely well. I have recommended it to others who share this anxiety business. As far as sleep is concerned, I have noticed that it has the tendency to intensify dream recall and substance. If you can get your hands on this stuff, do so! Thanks, Howetzer, for posting this uber-informative bit. As a kava advocate, it's cool to see more folk showing interest.

Manhattan
      I have used kava in high doses and in low doses....my opinion as far as dreaming goes is it isn't that great . It relaxes the body while heightening mental cognitive functioning. However, your consciousness thinking level is not heightened but your unconscious thinking level is. SO, you will think of really cool things without even trying. But, if you try to focus on those things and bring them to the conscious level they are lost so it can make it hard to fall asleep. I have never experienced any good dream qualities from this expensive herb. I may try it again. Just my thoughts and findings.

Undisclosed location
      Some Kave comes with valarian in it. Kava alone is like a muscle relaxent and does little to alter your cognitive functioning. But mixed with Valarian root it adds the addition of a tranquilizer effect. As valium is made from Valrian root extract. Speaking of extract, this form works more efficiantly than a capsule -for Kava.