• 3 Post By Xei
    • 1 Post By Carrot
    • 1 Post By ThePreserver
    • 1 Post By ninja9578

Thread: SOPA: high-traffic sites may shut down in protest if law passes

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

SOPA: high-traffic sites may shut down in protest if law passes

SOPA opponents may go nuclear and other 2012 predictions | Privacy Inc. - CNET News

If SOPA passes and the government effectively breaks the internet (see thread http://www.dreamviews.com/f36/intern...orship-124757/ ) Google, Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, Amazon, and other large sites may protest in order to get an immediate repeal.

Do you think this would work? Would people be outraged enough by their favorite sites going down? (Personally, if SOPA does pass, I would rather like to see such a large-scale protest.) A Google co-founder proposed it and says it may be the only option they have if it passes.
      Last edited by ThePreserver; 01-01-2012 at 05:21 AM.
      tommo and Omnis Dei like this.

Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Block 4500-7000
      Can we stop using ridiculously sensationalist titles for threads in ED please? What is this, Fox News?
      Dianeva likes this.

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate View Post
      Can we stop using ridiculously sensationalist titles for threads in ED please? What is this, Fox News?
      It's directly derivative of the article title I put forth for extended discussion...

EDIT: I changed it to be more clear.
      Last edited by ThePreserver; 01-01-2012 at 05:20 AM.

├┼┼┼┼┤
      Equestria
      DJ Entries
      Going nuclear is entirely meaningless in the context though. Being unclear has no place in ED, unless you're religious.

---------
      Lost count of how many lucid dreams I've had
      ---------

Oneironaut Achievements:
      I tried changing the title but I guess it only works for the POST title...? I don't even know.

But the article being discussed uses the same terminology as the title I used...

Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      Center of the universe
      DJ Entries
      Edited. Happy New Year!

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      Edited. Happy New Year!
      Thank you! Right back atcha.

Banned
      I wouldn't think a blackout will have any affect. The congress simply doesn't care what the citizens want, the citizens aren't the ones paying for their campaigns, the lobbyists are. Still, 90,000 calls to congress from Tumblr is impressive. They are a tiny site compared to Google, Facebook, and Amazon.

Xei
      Banned
      Fuck you Google! Fuck you corporations -

Oh wait. Turns out the world is complicated.
      Carrot, ThePreserver and tommo like this.

My Stunt Double Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      30+
      DJ Entries
      If that article is too long for you / you're too lazy to read, here's a shorter version: 9GAG - Dislike if you think this is a c**p

Clearly the representatives for SOPA have no idea the differences between DNS, IM and MP3. What a joke. This act. Is stupid. If they pass it down, we are far better off without an internet.
      tommo likes this.

Oneironaut Achievements:
      I think the goal from Google, Facebook, Yahoo, and Amazon (the most-visited search, social media, news, and shopping sites respectively) is to shut down for a few days, piss off literally EVERY American (hopefully telling them on a blank page to call their Congressman for a repeal of SOPA) enough to get them to act. I feel like it could work, and if SOPA passes I'd like to see such a large-scale effort take place! I've already written to my congressman and Senators... But I'll gladly write again for a repeal if it passes (I'm one of those people who writes to congresspeople thinking it will actually mean something even when it rarely does.)
      tommo likes this.

I am nearly positive it will work. Stuff like that pisses people off, so they might just get serious.

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
      I am nearly positive it will work. Stuff like that pisses people off, so they might just get serious.
      Especially when the majority of the country is addicted to one of the above sites; either for searching, news, shopping, status-updating, etc. I'm kind of just excited to see this HAPPEN, because it might make even 1 or 2 people realize that they are way too addicted to the internet and could use a break! (Also the whole "freedom of information" thing, too.)

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
      I hope so, the recent congress has done very little to appease the people. The people don't fund their campaigns, special interests do. I still think Google should just buy their own lobbyists / congressmen. They have more money than Viacom and the other media networks combined. Hopefully the congress will realize that while the special interests pay their campaigns, the people still need to vote for them and I think the online backlash from supporting SOPA will remove a lot of supporters in swing areas from office.
      Omnis Dei likes this.

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Quote Originally Posted by ninja9578 View Post
      I hope so, the recent congress has done very little to appease the people. The people don't fund their campaigns, special interests do. I still think Google should just buy their own lobbyists / congressmen. They have more money than Viacom and the other media networks combined. Hopefully the congress will realize that while the special interests pay their campaigns, the people still need to vote for them and I think the online backlash from supporting SOPA will remove a lot of supporters in swing areas from office.
      Or they just fund their own campaigns like a few rich Congressmen around here. Hopefully younger people actually start voting in Congressional elections and outing incumbents (as well as participating in primaries). If anything happens to the internet, us young'ns would be inclined to participate!