• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Collection of Techniques and Methods for DILDs

gab
      Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries

Collection of Techniques and Methods for DILDs

I have put together a collection of techniques and methods mentioned on this site, that when practiced together, give you a very good chance at consistent DILDs.

All comments or questions are welcomed.

COLLECTION OF TECHNIQUES AND METHODS FOR DILDs

(Dream Journal - Mantras - Reality Checks - Daytime Awareness - WBTB - State of Mind)

To realize in a regular dream that you are dreaming and to become conscious, you need to train your mind by practicing methods that are described in this guide.

You can use just one or two of them, but if you want consistent DILDs, it's best to use all of them together. They are all very simple and they will take just a few minutes of your time, couple of times a day.

DILD vs. WILD

Dream Initiated Lucid Dream is a lucid dream, that starts out as a regular dream. The difference between DILD and other main induction technique called WILD is, that you go to sleep in normal fashion, there is no need to wake up at night for a WBTB.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

METHODS

DREAM JOURNAL - DREAM RECALL

Remembering your dreams is important. Otherwise, you may have a lucid and don't remember it. Dream recall may fluctuate, but writing in your Dream Journal will help you start remembering more dreams and in better details.

Recording your dreams
      For a DJ, you can use a paper notebook, a voice recording device or a word processor. I prefer paper notebook, just because I can read through my old dreams, highlight some important data, look for dream signs and other things. Voice recorder may be best to record just keywords that will help you remember your dream in the morning. Keep them handy on your night stand.

Dream recall
      Write in your dream journal, even if all you can remember is just a single word or feeling. If you don't remember anything at all, write that in your DJ and also write some kind of affirmation to help you remember.
      - I remember my dreams
      - I like my dreams
      - I have good memory and my recall is getting better every day

Writing in your DJ and thinking about your dreams tells your mind, that dreaming and remembering your dreams is important to you and it will help you achieve both. When you remember something, say thanks to your mind for your dream and for remembering it.

Additional help with recall:
      1. Drink water before bed and every time you wake up and write your dreams down.
      2. Repeat these or similar mantras as you falling asleep:
      - I wake up after each dream and remember it.
      - I remember my dreams in the morning
      3. Each time yu wake up, don't move, don't open your eyes. Relax for a bit and try to think of any dreams you may have had.

Here are some ideas about what to write in your DJ
      Date
      Bed time - wake up time - total hours of sleep
      Supplements and time taken to help you figure out the best time for taking them
      Mantras, RCs, awareness you did during day to see if they manifest in your dream and if there is a delay of manifestation - find out which work/don't work
      Stress level of the day - does it affect your recall?
      Time when you woke up from a dream and how long was it - figure out best time for WBTB
      WBTB time and how long, what did you do and ease of falling asleep - do you need to get up sooner/later for shorter/longer
      Dream itself
      • How good is your recall
      Type of a dream RD, DILD, WILD, DEILD
      Level of control, vividness, special features, stabilization
      HH - Hallucinations, effects, sensations

MANTRAS

Mantras are short phrases that you repeat to reinforce some idea. They should be always in present tense, never in future tense. So instead of "I will lucid dream tonight" you say "I lucid dream tonight". It is because, our minds interpret "I will" as anytime in the future, just not now.

Classic mantra to induce a DILD is:
      "Next time I'm dreaming, I look at my hands and realize I'm dreaming".
      You should say it during day together with your daytime awareness training (see RDAT section below) and also as you falling asleep. In that state between awake and asleep, our minds are most receptive to suggestions.

This technique teaches your mind by repeating mantra (affirmation) to remember to notice in a dream that you are dreaming.

Other mantras are best said when falling asleep, as a last thought before drifting off to sleep. They can be used for practically anything.

Mantra examples

- I wake up after each dream and remember it (wake up to write down your DR and for recall)
      - I remember my dreams in the morning (for recall)
      - My memory is good and recall getting better every day (if your recall is not so good)
      - I wake up and stay still (for DEILD)
      - I wake up at [x] o'clock (for WBTB)
      - I lucid dream (for an LD)
      - My dreams are long, stable, vivid, ... (dream control)

REALITY CHECKS (RCs)

The sequence of becoming lucid and doing an RC is usually really fast, so sometimes it feels like RC gets you lucid. When in fact, first you become lucid because of your mantras and daytime awareness training and then you do a quick RC to confirm that you are in a dream.

Some of the best RCs based on ease of practice in a dream and success rate:

1. Looking at hands + Counting fingers Very reliable
      2. Nose plug Very reliable
      3. Thumb/palm Very reliable
      4. Gravity Very reliable
      5. Try to change something Very reliable *NEW RC
      6. Switches Less reliable
      7. Reading Less reliable

1. In Waking Life (IWL) Look at your hands, palms up and notice details. Count your fingers. In dream, look at your hands. Do they look normal (color, shape, size, can you make your finger longer?) Count your fingers. Do you have the right amount? This is a good RC, because your hands are always there, IWL and in a dream and you can practice this discretely.

2. IWL - pinch your nose shut with your hand and try to breathe. If you can breathe, you are in a dream. Also a good RC, because your nose is always there, little less discrete to practice.

3. IWL - Try to gently push your thumb through a palm of your other hand. Pay attention to the sensation. Anticipate, that it will go through. In dream, do the same. If it goes through, you are dreaming. Good RC also because you don't have to go and look for them and quite discrete to practice.

4. IWL - Say, "If this was a dream, I could levitate" and expect to float up. Do the same in a dream. Good RC, you can do it anywhere and totally discrete.

5. IWL - look at something and say "if this was a dream, that [something] would be [something else]. You can think of an item being some other item, or try to change color, size, movement... It's fun and it transfers into your dream very well. Don't forget to use emotions when doing it - be sure you are in a dream, so the thing will change.

6. Try to turn on a light switch. In a dream, flipping a switch usually won't do anything. But people do report that they can turn on lights in a dream. And if there is no light switch near in a dream, you would have to look for one and waste your time.

7. Try to read. In a dream, you can read, but when you take a second look, it will say something different, or gibberish. Also time on a clock may have letters instead of numbers. But it can also look correct. And you have to find a clock in a dream before you can do RC.

RDAT - RANDOM DAYTIME AWARENESS TECHNIQUE

This is not really a new technique, just simplified technique from existing ones, that works for me. For more information about daytime awareness techniques, please visit Sporadic Awareness technique and All Day Awareness technique.

When I started reading about lucid dreaming, my biggest question was: "How in the world am I suppose to realize I'm dreaming?"

Well, for the realization to happen, first you need to teach your brain to ask the question: "Am I dreaming?" while you are in a regular dream. Later on, after you gain more experience, you may notice that even this question is skipped and out of the blue, you just realize you are dreaming.

You teach your brain to ask the question/realize you are dreaming by practicing daytime awareness technique.

AWARENESS +RC TECHNIQUE:

During day, pause what you doing and ask yourself a question "Wow, am I dreaming?" that jolts your attention and makes you stop doing whatever you doing. For a moment, entertain the idea, that you are sure this is a dream or false awakening and feel the excitement in the pit of your stomach. Just pretend, that you have had a lucid dream before that was indistinguishable from waking reality, so this moment could also be a dream and you don't know for sure until you RC. Really consider the answer. Don't just automatically answer "Of course I'm not".

Look around and notice details. Look at your hands and count your fingers. Do you have the right amount? Do they look normal? Do a reality check. Try to gently push your thumb through your palm and expect it to go through. Is it going through? Pinch your nose and expect to be able to breathe. Can you? Can you levitate? If not, tell yourself "Next time I'm dreaming, I look at my hands and realize I'm dreaming". Repeat this mantra a few times while looking at your hands.

Pretty soon, this behavior will start manifesting itself in your dreams and you'll be asking yourself if you dreaming, while in regular dream. That will make you lucid. You will do a couple of RCs to make sure.

WAKE BACK TO BED

WBTB is when you wake up after at least 4.5 hours of sleep, stay up for anywhere from 5-60 min. and then go back to sleep. During this time you need to get out of bed, put on the lights and do something lucid dreaming related (read, go on DV). Stay up only until you can think clearly, but you are still sleepy enough to fall asleep without any problems.

WBTB is used primarily with WILD technique. But you can use it also to get DILDs. The theory is, that you wake up your mind, when it would be normally sleeping, so when you go back to sleep it's easier to become aware in your dreams.

STATE OF MIND
      This is possibly the most important factor in you getting a lucid dream. You have to believe that you can and will lucid dream, otherwise it will not work. It may take you a day, a week, or a couple of month, but everybody can lucid dream and so can you.

You have to be motivated, practice the techniques and be excited about lucid dreaming. Read tutorials and posts to keep yourself motivated and to get some ideas for what to do in your first lucid. Write your idea down and daydream about it.

Happy dreams

Is any of this for real? Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      ∂яєαмℓαи∂...
      DJ Entries
      Another great guide. Thank you

gab likes this.
      ~ wonk uoy naht noitceffa erom deen I ~

DJ Entries
      Thanks for the guide. I've been looking for a way to improve my dream recall.
      gab likes this.

gab
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by PigeonSenpai View Post
      Thanks for the guide. I've been looking for a way to improve my dream recall.
      If you need more help with recall, let me know.

DJ Entries
      Alright I have a question. Do you sleep with any sound on?

I have come to the conclusion that when I sleep with sound on I don't remember my dreams. I looked at my DJ and noticed that on the day I slept with nothing on I remembered my dreams. The last three days I had my pc playing something and I didn't remember a thing on any of the days. I'm doing the mantras correctly. Today I'm gonna sleep without noise and see if what I believe is true.

Any advice is appreciated.

gab
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by PigeonSenpai View Post
      Alright I have a question. Do you sleep with any sound on?

I have come to the conclusion that when I sleep with sound on I don't remember my dreams. I looked at my DJ and noticed that on the day I slept with nothing on I remembered my dreams. The last three days I had my pc playing something and I didn't remember a thing on any of the days. I'm doing the mantras correctly. Today I'm gonna sleep without noise and see if what I believe is true.
      Do you mean a short sound to wake you up for DEILD or something like that, or you have music playing all night?

Is it possible that your sound is not letting you sleep as good as you would when it's quiet?

Otherwise, I'm not aware of sound directly having impact on recall. But, it's normal to have some periods of time when we have no/bad recall. If you noticed that from your DJ, it may be because of the music or just a coincidence.

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by gab View Post
      Do you mean a short sound to wake you up for DEILD or something like that, or you have music playing all night?

Is it possible that your sound is not letting you sleep as good as you would when it's quiet?

Otherwise, I'm not aware of sound directly having impact on recall. But, it's normal to have some periods of time when we have no/bad recall. If you noticed that from your DJ, it may be because of the music or just a coincidence.
      Yeah I have music playing all night but not for DEILDs.

That's my best guess.

I'm not gonna have music playing tonight so I report tomorrow to see if that's the problem.

DJ Entries
      Ok all I remembered today was grabbing someone by the shoulder. I also slept really late so that might of affected my dreams. Maybe I was just having a of bad recall like you said. I hate it when this happens, I was so happy when I remembered two dreams for the first time a week ago.

Houston, TX
      DJ Entries
      This is a great guide. Thank you for sharing.
      gab likes this.

Dreamer Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      A few a month
      USA
      DJ Entries
      I'm getting up around 4:30 am this morning for a meteor shower, I'll think I'll try a WBTB! Thanks for the great guide, very helpful!!
      gab likes this.

Absolutely amazing guide right here. I read the whole thing and I'm for sure going to try out the majority of it as much as I can.
      gab and StephL like this.

gab
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      I added a new RC - #5.

I find it fun to do because of endless possibilities of how you do it. It's exciting and I got it into my dream just after a day or two of practicing it. Got me lucid, too.

Slayer Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger Second Class 1 year registered Veteran Second Class 1000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      1 short one :(
      Near Chicago
      Next time I'm dreaming, I look at my hands and realize I'm dreaming
      gab and bbob619 like this.

gab
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by vinnym9999 View Post
      Next time I'm dreaming, I look at my hands and realize I'm dreaming
      It worked for me like a charm. Hope, it works for you too. Happy dreams

Banned Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 3 years registered

LD Count
      149 in 2016
      Bleep
      DJ Entries
      Wow this is great stuff! I am definitely going to use some of your tips. No wonder you got over 30 likes in just four days.... But why should you drink water before and after bed?

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal
      LD Count
      weekly
      Portugal ( Covilhã)
      DJ Entries
      SSILD is also a very good technique to induce DILDs, so it could be in this guide.

Personal Research: lately i have tryed WILD after 3, 5 hours of sleep and, despite failing at WILD, i have been getting DILDs ( 1-3 ) everynight i can try.
      Also, because of trying WILD i did actually improved at it and suceeded a couple times. i am having double benefits from it !
      So if i had the chance i would include WILD on this guide too, altough i don´t know for sure if it can be that helpful for most people

StephL and LucasBennett like this.
      Check your memory, did any suprising event happpen ? does the present make sense ? visualize what you will do when lucid, and how. Reality check as reminder of your intention to lucid dream tonight. Sleep as good as you can; when going to sleep, relax and invite whatever comes with curiosity. Grab your dream journal immediately as you awake and write everything you can recall (if only when you wake up for good). Keep calm, positive and persistent, and don't forget to have fun along the way

gab
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Ginsan View Post
      But why should you drink water before and after bed?
      Thank you!

I drink water before bed so it wakes me up after 2-4 hours. Then I can either do WBTB, or just write down my dreams. Then I have some more water to wake up again and do the same. Let me know if you have more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by VagalTone View Post
      SSILD ... could be in this guide.

... i would include WILD on this guide too
      This Collection is for classic DILD/MILD. I have not really tried SSILD, so I can't really comment on that, but it has it's own big tutorial.

And WILD... well, I have another guide for entering WILDs - Sensations, HH and types of entry into WILD.

Banned Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 3 years registered

LD Count
      149 in 2016
      Bleep
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by gab View Post
      Thank you!

I drink water before bed so it wakes me up after 2-4 hours. Then I can either do WBTB, or just write down my dreams. Then I have some more water to wake up again and do the same. Let me know if you have more questions.
      Aha, that never works for me though. I always drink water before bed hoping my urge to piss when I wake up is great enough to pull me out my bed
      gab likes this.

This guide has helped me a lot. Thanks man.
      gab likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      I'm going to do the RDAT thing. It sounds like it could work for me! Thank you for taking the time to post it, I really think it'll help me a lot.
      gab and StephL like this.

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Hey Gab, great tutorial! I have a few questions:

How long did it take you to have DILDs based on RDAT and the other techniques?

Will using a mantra to help me WBTB, as opposed to having a mantra to remind myself to RC, hurt my chances of a DILD significantly?

I've been practicing RDAT for a while (over a few months) and have only had one spontaneous DILD. I've also been DJing, doing WBTB, RCs, pretty much everything to do with DILD and WILD. I'm not sure what it is that's causing this "dry spell" (I've had 3 lucids from DEILD many months ago and can't seem to create that state of mind anymore when waking from a dream). Do you have any advice on what I can do about it? I persist with my attempts and am not sure whether I'm putting too much effort into LDing. I understand that it's different for everyone so if you can't really answer then it's fine!
      gab likes this.

gab
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Thank you all for your comments!

@MarcusQ

Well, it's best to do just one mantra per day. To make it clear to you mind what you want. So if you can't wake up on your own at night, use mantra for that, until you start noticing these small micro-awakenings we all have after every REM. Or until you get into habit of waking up on your own from mantras.

You can also try and set your intent instead of mantra. Maybe you have noticed, that if you have to get up at unusuall hour, and you tell yourself "man, I gotta get up at x hour", then you will wake up close to that set time. When i do this, I wake up a few times before, until I wake up at set time.

Or you can try and drink water before bed and then every time when you get up. I did this last night and woke up 3 times - each time with a long dream in my memory. It may not work for everybody, but it's worth the try.

So set your intent to wake up and then use a mantra for a DILD.

I got my first DILD after barely 1/2 a day of practicing the awareness question, RCs and mantras. So I'm not sure I got it from that practice. What I think really helped me, that I was super excited. I wasn't like "what if I have a LD". I was more like "omg, I'm having LD tonight". There is a difference between a wish and solid intent.

I have had about 50 DEILD. But they were all from a LD, none from regular dream. My first DEILD was the same night I have read about getting into another LD, when you unexpectedly wake up from a LD. As I was waking up, I suddenly remembered what to do and got DEILD. So for me, it's more of a wait for right conditions. I can't really get into DEILD from regular dream, it just has to happen for me by itself.

What I have found happening for me is that I remember a lot's of things from tutorials when in a dream/waking up state. It looks like the more you read about something and think about something, more likely it is to happen for you.

Too much effort - you can keep practicing, but don't wish it too much. More like be cool and KNOW that you can do it. Don't wish, KNOW. Good luck. Please ask if I didn't touch up on something.

DJ Entries
      Wonderful guide!
      gab likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Bucharest
      DJ Entries
      What do you mean by "special features"?
      gab likes this.

gab
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by scorqyon View Post
      What do you mean by "special features"?
      Sorry for not replying sooner.

Special features can be anything that makes this dream different from any other one. Like maybe special colors, or special power you had, or anything unusual. And then you can think about your day and see, if you did anything that day, or before, that may heve triggered that special feature. Or first time you threw a fireball, flew, ate something...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast