• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 24 of 24
    Like Tree9Likes
    • 1 Post By Laurelindo
    • 3 Post By ibseth
    • 1 Post By ibseth
    • 1 Post By Maxis
    • 3 Post By StephL

    Thread: I've never had a "normal" dream. I'm never not aware.

    1. #1
      Member Annabunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      LD Count
      Every Dream
      Gender
      Posts
      9
      Likes
      1

      Question I've never had a "normal" dream. I'm never not aware.

      Hi! I'm new to the forum and I actually just learned about lucid dreams for a friend that has been trying to achieve them. I've always been aware that I'm dreaming and can almost always change my dreams or wake up. So, essentially my dreams are almost like thoughts. I've read things that say that you shouldn't look at mirrors and that's got me kind of freaked out. Is that actually true? And it is a bad thing that I lucid all the time..? What does a "normal" dream feel like? Also during the day I get into deep thoughts that are kind of like dreams but I'm awake. Does anyone think the two are connected? Thanks for reading

    2. #2
      Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      splodeymissile's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      LD Count
      I've lost count
      Gender
      Location
      omicron persei 8
      Posts
      535
      Likes
      264
      DJ Entries
      32
      Welcome.
      If you think a mirrors going to get you, its going to get you. Thankfully, the opposite holds true, as well. As for being a bad thing, no. In fact, you are very lucky. A normal dream is like......watching a really great film and getting so engrossed that you forget you're sat on the sofa. Add in natural, virtual reality and a starring role for yourself and you've got a normal dream.

    3. #3
      ex-Lucario Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Veteran Second Class
      <span class='glow_0000FF'>Jacob46719</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      LD Count
      1364
      Gender
      Location
      Equestria
      Posts
      400
      Likes
      276
      DJ Entries
      101
      Always aware?!? you make me jealous man
      7/5/19
      LDs this month: 1
      Highest: 48
      Lucidity Rate: 17.1 LDs per month (since 9/16/12)
      Active Lucid Dreaming Time: 77.5 months
      Lucid Time this month: 0-0 minutes

    4. #4
      Member Annabunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      LD Count
      Every Dream
      Gender
      Posts
      9
      Likes
      1
      Why is it a good thing? And Jacob I wouldn't be cuz I tend to think myself into nightmares and even though I wake myself up it's annoying.

    5. #5
      Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      splodeymissile's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      LD Count
      I've lost count
      Gender
      Location
      omicron persei 8
      Posts
      535
      Likes
      264
      DJ Entries
      32
      I could pose the opposite question, why is it a bad thing? Quite a few people would like to have lucids regularly like that. As for thinking yourself into nightmares, certainly a problem, but one that be rectified by a bit of dream control. Remember, its your mind and it bends to your will above all else. You just have to exercise that will.

    6. #6
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      Laurelindo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      LD Count
      52
      Gender
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      705
      Likes
      623
      A normal dream is a dream where you have no direct control over your own behaviour, and where you never question anything that happens.
      Your free will is "shut off", so that all you can do is passively watch the events, and you never question where you are - anything can happen, and no matter how bizarre it is, you never actually stop and question it.
      Everything is on autopilot, and you never think anything is "strange" or "peculiar".

      It's pretty ridiculous really, it's almost as if your mind is trolling you and preventing you from experiencing the wonderful freedom of lucid dreaming.
      Why would your logic center, of all things, be the thing that shuts off during sleep?
      If your brain is highly active during sleep otherwise then why does the logic center have to go and turn itself off?
      Bah.
      Last edited by Laurelindo; 01-26-2014 at 09:43 PM.
      JJFrank likes this.

    7. #7
      Member Annabunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      LD Count
      Every Dream
      Gender
      Posts
      9
      Likes
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by splodeymissile View Post
      I could pose the opposite question, why is it a bad thing? Quite a few people would like to have lucids regularly like that. As for thinking yourself into nightmares, certainly a problem, but one that be rectified by a bit of dream control. Remember, its your mind and it bends to your will above all else. You just have to exercise that will.
      You're right I'm gonna to try and experiment with this.

    8. #8
      Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      splodeymissile's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      LD Count
      I've lost count
      Gender
      Location
      omicron persei 8
      Posts
      535
      Likes
      264
      DJ Entries
      32
      I wish you luck.

    9. #9
      ex-Lucario Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Veteran Second Class
      <span class='glow_0000FF'>Jacob46719</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      LD Count
      1364
      Gender
      Location
      Equestria
      Posts
      400
      Likes
      276
      DJ Entries
      101
      So how are you always aware? is there a procedure?
      7/5/19
      LDs this month: 1
      Highest: 48
      Lucidity Rate: 17.1 LDs per month (since 9/16/12)
      Active Lucid Dreaming Time: 77.5 months
      Lucid Time this month: 0-0 minutes

    10. #10
      Student Oneironaut Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Bharmo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      377
      Likes
      561
      DJ Entries
      43
      Quote Originally Posted by Annabunny View Post
      Why is it a good thing? And Jacob I wouldn't be cuz I tend to think myself into nightmares and even though I wake myself up it's annoying.
      You could try signing up at the Dream Control class of the DreamViews Academy, the teachers there will help you a lot.
      You can sign up for the course here: http://www.dreamviews.com/dream-cont...n-up-here.html

    11. #11
      Member Annabunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      LD Count
      Every Dream
      Gender
      Posts
      9
      Likes
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Jacob46719 View Post
      So how are you always aware? is there a procedure?
      I actually just found out that lucid dreaming is a thing. So I guess it's natural. What do you think is the reason you don't regularly LD?

    12. #12
      ex-Lucario Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Veteran Second Class
      <span class='glow_0000FF'>Jacob46719</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      LD Count
      1364
      Gender
      Location
      Equestria
      Posts
      400
      Likes
      276
      DJ Entries
      101
      Well right now the reason is that I don't reality check in dreams and I continue to screw up DEILDs unintentionally(I move right when I wake up out of habit).
      7/5/19
      LDs this month: 1
      Highest: 48
      Lucidity Rate: 17.1 LDs per month (since 9/16/12)
      Active Lucid Dreaming Time: 77.5 months
      Lucid Time this month: 0-0 minutes

    13. #13
      Member JJFrank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      60
      Likes
      65
      really good description of muggle dreams. Thanks

      Sorry. This was in response to Laurelindo's description (above) of a normal dream.

      I'm new here and don't know how to communicate clearly in this medium

      JJ
      Last edited by JJFrank; 01-28-2014 at 02:33 AM.

    14. #14
      Member JJFrank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      60
      Likes
      65
      Anna,

      I knew someone like you who every night just laid down in bed and just walked through a door into the dream world. No transition.

      It could be useful to know that you have a gift that is not common to most people.

      You should ask yourself, "what can I do with this exceptional ability?"

      What is possible for someone in the waking world with your ability?

      How can you utillize your gift to access fields of awareness that others cannot?

      It is an amazing power. What do you see are the possibilities?

      JJ


      Quote Originally Posted by Annabunny View Post
      Hi! I'm new to the forum and I actually just learned about lucid dreams for a friend that has been trying to achieve them. I've always been aware that I'm dreaming and can almost always change my dreams or wake up. So, essentially my dreams are almost like thoughts. I've read things that say that you shouldn't look at mirrors and that's got me kind of freaked out. Is that actually true? And it is a bad thing that I lucid all the time..? What does a "normal" dream feel like? Also during the day I get into deep thoughts that are kind of like dreams but I'm awake. Does anyone think the two are connected? Thanks for reading

    15. #15
      Member Annabunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      LD Count
      Every Dream
      Gender
      Posts
      9
      Likes
      1
      I've recently gotten curious. I wanted to try some stuff out last night, but I didn't dream at all. Tonight I'll be trying an OBE..any tips JJ? Or anyone else that has experienced it?

      Quote Originally Posted by Jacob46719 View Post
      Well right now the reason is that I don't reality check in dreams and I continue to screw up DEILDs unintentionally(I move right when I wake up out of habit).
      What's DEILDs? Sorry I'm new at this..
      Last edited by gab; 01-28-2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: posts merged

    16. #16
      high mileage oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Stickie King Populated Wall Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Sageous's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      LD Count
      35+ Yrs' Worth
      Gender
      Location
      any quiet place
      Posts
      4,906
      Likes
      6912
      ^^ DEILD = Dream Exit Initiated Lucid Dream.

      It's where you basically maintain your self-awareness as you wake from one dream and carry it with you into the next. However, if you are self-aware at all times, as you say, this process shouldn't matter much to you.

    17. #17
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      LD Count
      10
      Gender
      Location
      California
      Posts
      13
      Likes
      14
      DJ Entries
      1
      Welcome to the Forum

      On average, people dream 4-6 times every night, for varying periods. I'm honestly a little skeptical you Lucid Dream ALL the time, because it's possible that you do have lucid dreams extremely frequently, and simply forget all your non-lucid dreams. But I can't speak for your experiences, so if you do experience 4-6 LD's every night, hey, good for you.
      If you suspect you may be forgetting non-lucid dreams, you may want to try waking yourself up earlier than usual with an alarm with the goal to interrupt a non-lucid dream. Hopefully, the interruption will allow you to recall it.
      Last edited by ibseth; 01-28-2014 at 04:41 AM.
      Jacob46719, StephL and Meskhetyw like this.

    18. #18
      Member Annabunny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      LD Count
      Every Dream
      Gender
      Posts
      9
      Likes
      1
      ^^^ you're right. Now I'm really confused because some nights I feel like I "didn't dream at all". I guess the the dreams I remember are the lucid ones. Idk. I didn't know people dreamt that often though..the most I remember in a night would be like 2 or three.

    19. #19
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      LD Count
      10
      Gender
      Location
      California
      Posts
      13
      Likes
      14
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Annabunny View Post
      ^^^ you're right. Now I'm really confused because some nights I feel like I "didn't dream at all". I guess the the dreams I remember are the lucid ones. Idk. I didn't know people dreamt that often though..the most I remember in a night would be like 2 or three.
      Well, that gives you opportunity to experience non-lucids, then . How well do you remember your lucid dreams? Do they fade quickly, or do you remember them completely through the day?
      StephL likes this.

    20. #20
      Still Dreaming Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      Maxis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      LD Count
      Gender
      Location
      The Alternate World
      Posts
      178
      Likes
      291
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by Jacob46719 View Post
      So how are you always aware? is there a procedure?
      I'm going to take a stab at it and go with what LouaiB always says (originally Sageous's words I believe)--someone who frequently has LDs, whether naturally or by practice, probably has a high level of self-awareness and may not practice specific procedures like WILD or MILD--I think essentially, lucid dreaming mostly goes down to self-awareness. Of course, extra effort can still help--clearer dreams, better dream control, longer dreams, better dream recall, etc.

      Anna--if you're not already aware, people tend to strive to lucid dream because being aware that you're dreaming results in you being able to control the dream and do whatever you want (you know, fly, walk on water, stab your boss with a sharpie). Like others have said, it can be used to stop nightmares as well. Also, writing your dreams down every morning (dream journaling) is helpful in improving dream recall. Even if you don't remember any dreams, it's still good to write down something like "I don't remember my dreams," to get you into the habit of it and to teach your brain it's important to remmeber them.
      StephL likes this.

      My name is Max. I write ambient music and play video games.
      Currently inactive.

      65% DILDs, 30% DEILDs, 5% WILDs.

      "Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire

    21. #21
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      LD Count
      10
      Gender
      Location
      California
      Posts
      13
      Likes
      14
      DJ Entries
      1
      Great point. Improving your dream recall by journaling can eventually help you remember those dreams you forget.

    22. #22
      CTX
      CzechRepublic CTX is offline
      Member CTX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      LD Count
      5
      Gender
      Posts
      30
      Likes
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by Annabunny View Post
      but I didn't dream at all.
      You dream every night 3-7 times. You just can't remember them.

    23. #23
      Member StephL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      LD Count
      84
      Gender
      Posts
      2,423
      Likes
      3291
      DJ Entries
      117
      Yupp - warm welcome to the forum Annabunny!



      Quote Originally Posted by Laurelindo View Post
      A normal dream is a dream where you have no direct control over your own behaviour, and where you never question anything that happens.
      Your free will is "shut off", so that all you can do is passively watch the events, and you never question where you are - anything can happen, and no matter how bizarre it is, you never actually stop and question it.
      Everything is on autopilot, and you never think anything is "strange" or "peculiar".

      It's pretty ridiculous really, it's almost as if your mind is trolling you and preventing you from experiencing the wonderful freedom of lucid dreaming.
      Why would your logic center, of all things, be the thing that shuts off during sleep?
      If your brain is highly active during sleep otherwise then why does the logic center have to go and turn itself off?
      Bah.
      This is wrong.
      If the "logic centre" (you should tell me, what you believe that actually is anyway..) wasn't working - there would be no narrative.
      Most every dream works just fine in terms of "boring logic".
      Your dreaming brain will come up with all sorts of unusual, but in itself "logical" explanations, when weird symbology turns up.
      I read lately - and soo loved, was a dreamer reasoning like this:
      That cow is flying, because it has a lucid dream, that's when you can fly - my do I envy that cow.

      Sorry got to look you up, you wonderful lucid-cow-dream-producer!!


      Quote Originally Posted by dreambh View Post
      You could try signing up at the Dream Control class of the DreamViews Academy, the teachers there will help you a lot.
      You can sign up for the course here: http://www.dreamviews.com/dream-cont...n-up-here.html
      Unfortunately - as I understood it a while back - this course is not active at the moment - no signing up.
      This following link leads to the source of most active dream control content stuff: Dream Control besides this article you cited.
      But opening a workbook in Intro Class or DILD is still possible - then there are Sageous and Sivason and their sections, which might interest you Annabunny.
      And I sure left out a lot I shouldn't - oh yeah - check the DreamViews Podcast and the TOTM-threads for learning dream control, too: Tasks of the Month & Year
      Have fun - and yupp - try to access your "normal dreams" as well - can be very interesting.

      And you also shed a light on other perceived only lucid dreamers - they might consistently forget their other dreams except some special examples.

    24. #24
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      Posts
      6
      Likes
      5
      Hi Annabunny,

      If you say you at the most recall 2 dreams a night, and all these dreams are lucid (lucid dreams are indeed easy to recall, because you are so concious at the moment, they are even hard not to recall), you sure have at least 1 or 2 non-lucid dreams, you just don't remember them. So if you wanne know what normal dreams feel like, just try your best to recall more dreams, indeed, as said before, write down your dreams, try to feel that your dreams, all of them are very important to you and ask yourself to be able to remember them better. I hope it works, maybe it is going to get you even more lucid dreams, because you raise your awareness even more, but for sure, you will recall some normal dreams too.

      But anyhow, it is good to have lot of lucid dreams, so you don't need the normal dreams, but I guess you want to experience the difference, so go for it.

      Good luck.

    Similar Threads

    1. Robert Sawyers "Webmind" consciousness "multitask" in lucid dream
      By InsaneInThBrain in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 09-16-2017, 07:04 PM
    2. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-27-2013, 03:04 AM
    3. What Frequency Is "Normal" For Experiencing Lucid Dreaming?
      By TheOneGoneLucid in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM
    4. Replies: 12
      Last Post: 02-12-2011, 06:40 PM
    5. Replies: 7
      Last Post: 08-22-2008, 07:32 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •