• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 18 of 18
    Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By nina
    • 1 Post By DrunkenArse
    • 1 Post By nina

    Thread: The Invasion has Begun

    1. #1
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11

      The Invasion has Begun

      This is an interview of Scientific Expert Tolec describing news which has been Scientifically Validated. What follows is a Scientific Discussion of the Scientific Events taking place and backed up by Scientific Evidence.



      The best part is the guy from Alabama.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    2. #2
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Just started watching. I bet I make it less than 2 minutes before the psuedo-science starts.

      Fuck. I was thinking there was gonna be a minute or two of filler.

      At 50 seconds, it's announced that the guest is here to talk about "reptilians".

      Sounds like alien stuff.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    3. #3
      Member nina's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Gender
      Posts
      10,788
      Likes
      2581
      DJ Entries
      17
      Pseudoscience/alien stuff belongs in Inner Sanctum, see forum descriptions if you are confused. Please stop posting this stuff in the sadist area, thanks.

      edit: I thought IS description mentions aliens, but it doesn't...oh, well it should.
      Last edited by nina; 03-30-2012 at 02:26 AM.
      PhilosopherStoned likes this.

    4. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2004
      Posts
      5,165
      Likes
      708
      They are talking about the illuminati/reptilians undersea base that was destroyed. Apparently they caught thousands of reptiles but they are being tried in the intergalactic court so I guess we are not allowed to actually put them on tv or scientifically study them. That might be against intergalactic law I guess.

      I guess it goes without saying that it doesn't matter how much you say 'scientific' it doesn't make something stupid real or scientific.

    5. #5
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      I guess intergalactic law isn't any more science friendly than law has traditionally been here on earth.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    6. #6
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
      Pseudoscience/alien stuff belongs in Inner Sanctum, see forum descriptions if you are confused. Please stop posting this stuff in the sadist area, thanks.
      Hmmm. Science person = sadist?

      Does not compute!

      I will now proceed to torture some sense into you.

      Could you explain it?
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    7. #7
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      I am merely bringing to attention your silly association between science and cynical falsification, nina. I find your dichotomy to be unhealthy.

      I place my threads where they belong, none of them have been misplaced. If I want to discuss aliens with people who take them seriously, I would post in IS. Obviously that is not my intention.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    8. #8
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnis Dei View Post
      I am merely bringing to attention your silly association between science and cynical falsification, nina. I find your dichotomy to be unhealthy.

      I place my threads where they belong, none of them have been misplaced. If I want to discuss aliens with people who take them seriously, I would post in IS. Obviously that is not my intention.
      It's not cynical falsification if nothing has been presented to falsify though. You must understand that to meaningfully discuss aliens with people that don't take them seriously, you're going to have to bring something serious to the table, right?
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    9. #9
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Define serious.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    10. #10
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Not easily and trivially explained by phenomena that allow us to retain the broad shape of our understanding of the universe. We will always favor explanations that do that for the simple reason that most of the time, that's the right thing to do. It's only when we run into something that forces us to overturn our understanding to explain it that we will do that.
      Wolfwood likes this.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    11. #11
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      I don't understand. Are you talking about not asserting counter-intuitive concepts without evidence? Because that guy has contacts in the andromeda government, man. And we're at war, which is deadly serious.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    12. #12
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2004
      Posts
      5,165
      Likes
      708
      I don't have a problem with alien talk on the science board but there is a big difference between talking about aliens in a scientific way and saying there are alien military bases all across the planet with thousands of aliens invading earth and no one has noticed yet, despite communication with other alien species being very common.

    13. #13
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnis Dei View Post
      I don't understand. Are you talking about not asserting counter-intuitive concepts without evidence?
      No, it has nothing to do with intuition. Suppose that you make some statement X. If, in order to accept your statement as being valid, I have to discount a good portion of what I believe I know about the universe, I'm not going to do it if I can find some other way to explain X that fits into what I already know about the universe.

      So for us to take you seriously, you're going to have to come up with evidence for extra-terrestrial visitation that can't be explained away.

      The ability to explain things away is very important for preserving world views. It's a good thing as long as we don't get carried away with it and end up tossing out correct statements. And remember, often times explaining something away is just pushing the boundaries of human knowledge in a way that's perhaps a little less radical than the originator of the statement X would have preferred.

      I don't think that anything you've posted on this thread with respect to aliens constitutes a serious statement.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    14. #14
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      How is that not intuitive? How do you hold a certain assumption over another without using your intuitive model of the universe?

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    15. #15
      Member nina's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2004
      Gender
      Posts
      10,788
      Likes
      2581
      DJ Entries
      17
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      Hmmm. Science person = sadist?

      Does not compute!

      I will now proceed to torture some sense into you.

      Could you explain it?
      Oh, I just said that because it's the "S&M" forum.

    16. #16
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnis Dei View Post
      How is that not intuitive? How do you hold a certain assumption over another without using your intuitive model of the universe?
      Because while individual scientists may use intuition to greater or lesser effect while deciding which ideas to pursue, science as a whole is not an intuitive field. The models which are constructed are based on the criteria of falsifiability, predictive power, and rational thought. Once science is done with a result, there should be zero intuition required to grasp it.

      So it's not that we're using an intuitive model of the universe, it's that we're using a rational model of the universe which our intuition tells us is the right one. If you want to sink it, try more effectively by using evidence that the rational mind must succumb to.

      Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
      Oh, I just said that because it's the "S&M" forum.
      Whoosh and that went right over my head. I've actually made that connection before but didn't get it this time. Probably because it wasn't staring me in the face.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    17. #17
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      There's all sorts of counter-intuitive scientific theory that is now regarded mostly as factual because the evidence has supported it to a great enough degree that it's become the only rational conclusion for anyone who's done the research. What makes science such a good field is its ability to take the intuitive model of the world and flip it on its head. However, there is still an intuitive model of the universe that scientists still utilize for the process of falsification. But my words are falling short at expressing the argument here. If you look up Wittgenstein's Poker, the book describes the conversation between Ludwig Wittgenstein and Karl Popper which is really a heated debate between Falsification and Validation.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    18. #18
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      You guys don't know what you're missing, this White Knights program is the best shit ever


      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    Similar Threads

    1. The 2nd Invasion....
      By Squaddle in forum Introduction Zone
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 02-04-2010, 11:26 AM
    2. Hi, I'm new, and I've already begun an annoying rant
      By widefinopen in forum Introduction Zone
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 10-01-2007, 03:24 AM
    3. Since I've begun practing LD, I can't fall asleep
      By Crono1000 in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 01-04-2006, 07:28 AM
    4. Forum collision has begun here!
      By l3xicon in forum Senseless Banter
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 06-14-2005, 09:11 PM
    5. The invasion of the flies
      By Death-Wuad in forum Senseless Banter
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 08-01-2004, 06:06 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •