• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    Like Tree8Likes
    • 4 Post By tommo
    • 1 Post By khh
    • 1 Post By Quantiq
    • 1 Post By khh
    • 1 Post By Oneironaut Zero

    Thread: Quantum "levitation" magnets. MUST SEE VIDEO

    1. #1
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7

      Quantum "levitation" magnets. MUST SEE VIDEO

      Seriously this is fucking insane lol

      http://youtu.be/Ws6AAhTw7RA

      For some reason the video isn't embedding.
      Just click the link.

      Here's an article too, a stupid one, but nevertheless an article
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ar-behind.html
      Last edited by tommo; 10-20-2011 at 01:49 PM.

    2. #2
      khh
      khh is offline
      Remember Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      khh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      2,482
      Likes
      1309
      Wow, that really is awesome. I've seen another video describing this phenomenon before, but that video was much better.

      You've got to love super-conductors.
      tommo likes this.
      April Ryan is my friend,
      Every sorrow she can mend.
      When i visit her dark realm,
      Does it simply overwhelm.

    3. #3
      Perception Quantiq's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Ottawa, Canada
      Posts
      445
      Likes
      270
      DJ Entries
      7
      Neat.

      But I believe that this is actually a demonstration of Flux Pinning. Its nothing new really, the magnets are becoming pinned to the Type II Superconductor under extremely cold conditions.
      tommo likes this.

    4. #4
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by Quantiq View Post
      Neat.

      But I believe that this is actually a demonstration of Flux Pinning. Its nothing new really, the magnets are becoming pinned to the Type II Superconductor under extremely cold conditions.
      Haha! I was just doing some more reading and coming back to write that lol

      Yep it is called flux pinning and they renamed it for some reason. Still, really cool!

    5. #5
      Member AngelZlayer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Gender
      Posts
      164
      Likes
      42


      Woah! That was awesome! I'm not good at physics, so I wonder how the "locking" works
      Main LD goals:
      - Futuristic/sci-fi/cyberpunk big city
      - Fantasy role-playing game
      - Flight and other super powers
      - Use lucid dreaming as a study-aid
      - Personal development, inner peace etc

    6. #6
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7
      Apparently it's not really known how it works.

    7. #7
      khh
      khh is offline
      Remember Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      khh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      2,482
      Likes
      1309
      Quote Originally Posted by tommo View Post
      Apparently it's not really known how it works.
      The guy in the video said that the super-conductor's internal magnetic field attunes to the magnetic field it is in. It stands to reason that it would then be resistant to change (though obviously not very resistant as he quite easily manipulates it). That would explain why it's locked in place on all axis in a asymmetrical magnetic field, but able to move around a set path in a symmetrical field. Because obviously the internal magnetic field of the super-conductor and the external magnetic field from the magnets would still match in the latter case.

      Also, it stands to reason that the super-conductor would attune to the magnetic field it is in. Because conductors in a changing magnetic field (relative to the conducing material) will have currents induced, and because these (minute, localised) currents will remain in the super-conductor due to it's total lack of electrical resistance, that magnetic field would be permanent (until disturbed by an external force).

      It seems to make perfect sense to me.
      Arch likes this.
      April Ryan is my friend,
      Every sorrow she can mend.
      When i visit her dark realm,
      Does it simply overwhelm.

    8. #8
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by khh View Post
      The guy in the video said that the super-conductor's internal magnetic field attunes to the magnetic field it is in. It stands to reason that it would then be resistant to change (though obviously not very resistant as he quite easily manipulates it). That would explain why it's locked in place on all axis in a asymmetrical magnetic field, but able to move around a set path in a symmetrical field. Because obviously the internal magnetic field of the super-conductor and the external magnetic field from the magnets would still match in the latter case.

      Also, it stands to reason that the super-conductor would attune to the magnetic field it is in. Because conductors in a changing magnetic field (relative to the conducing material) will have currents induced, and because these (minute, localised) currents will remain in the super-conductor due to it's total lack of electrical resistance, that magnetic field would be permanent (until disturbed by an external force).

      It seems to make perfect sense to me.
      Can someone translate this to English? Cheers.

    9. #9
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Gender
      Location
      ʇsǝɹɔpooʍ
      Posts
      3,207
      Likes
      176
      Hoverboards here we come!


    10. #10
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4023
      DJ Entries
      149
      I was checking this out the other day. Coolest superconductor vid I've seen, so far.

      Now if we could only find superconductors that worked at room temperature.
      tommo likes this.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    11. #11
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7
      Yeah, I think they're getting there. I was reading an article a couple of months ago, I think they have got up to about -53 degrees Celsius.

    12. #12
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Arra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      3,838
      Likes
      3884
      DJ Entries
      50
      Quote Originally Posted by tommo View Post
      they renamed it for some reason
      Anything with the word 'quantum' in it seems to get people excited these days.

    13. #13
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by Dianeva View Post
      Anything with the word 'quantum' in it seems to get people excited these days.
      Yep, it is quite sad. Even though I myself got excited over this lol
      Still, I did recognise that the quantum was seemingly ambiguous, irrelevant.

    Similar Threads

    1. disturbing "video game" dream loop
      By jwg in forum Lucid Experiences
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 05-22-2011, 04:15 PM
    2. "5 Creepy Ways Video Games Are Trying to Get You Addicted"
      By Invader in forum Extended Discussion
      Replies: 33
      Last Post: 04-22-2010, 01:57 AM
    3. Video that "induces" AP. People find it works.
      By hellohihello in forum Beyond Dreaming
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 01-08-2009, 02:24 AM
    4. A video (I think made my a theist...). "Atheists aren't that bad."
      By Mes Tarrant in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 01-27-2008, 02:37 AM
    5. Video games on "Easy" mode
      By skysaw in forum Entertainment
      Replies: 41
      Last Post: 12-13-2007, 08:04 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •