• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 52
    Like Tree47Likes

    Thread: What's your favorite animal and why?

    1. #1
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11

      What's your favorite animal and why?

      Giraffes are pretty cool though I'm not sure why. I think it's because they bring a whole new meaning to deep throat.

      This is a subject very close to my heart. For some reason I feel a profound connection. I'm not sure exactly why, it's just the way I'm designed. But I'd like to see your thoughts regarding the subject and perhaps learn more about what makes my fellow DVers tick.

      You see the thread title is not accurately explaining what I want to talk about. It's purposely misleading. The reason for this and for the strange way I'm filling the introduction with excessive, inaccessibly vague filler is in the hopes many people will skip the introduction and just randomly answer the thread topic without reading the body of text. That's right, the thread title and opening sentence is a farce to catch the impatient, as well as the particular way in which I am describing what the topic is really about. It's a purposefully convoluted and agonizingly impenetrable mess of concise verbosity. And this is for good reason. There are, of course, so many different tricks that show us the way we read impetuously and presumptuously assume our way through life. And the making of the assholes from this or that, from the You and the Me, creates a charade of headbutting for the sake of pontificating because even if we agree we certainly don't agree in the same way and we certainly are original enough in our thoughts that they have value purely from their originality. But of course if something has value it must prove its value. We are perfectly willing to presume we're right about everything but completely unwilling to presume that any one else's thoughts have value. Worse yet we're positive we've heard it and learned it before, and the most they'll do is bore you out of sheer repetition. Even in cases where we do presume value, such as when we read the works of certain respected members of society, the authors of textbooks, the ordained preachers of our particular dogma, the role-models we keep until we realize just how bad their shit really stunk this whole time, we still take it in once, and that is enough. We presume the mind we had when we first read the words of Hume or Nietzsche is the same mind we have now, and reading it once means we've got it. We already understand it. We presume we absorbed the information, and that surely the shape of our mind had no effect on how we perceived the information. It becomes a very rare gift in the world to learn something, we grow accustomed to putting people's ideas into boxes, and these two boxes are most often labeled either irrational or unoriginal. We figure it's either not worth listening to because it's silly, or we already heard it before and therefore not worth listening to. We forget the transactional relationship between the mind and information.

      Teachability is a strange thing. It's almost as though the more you conceive of yourself as an open-minded individual, the less teachable you really are. Indeed, the moment it strikes your mind that you're an intelligent fellow respectful of any idea, the moment you close yourself off to a whole range of possibilities. After all, you're already open minded, so for what purpose must you now listen? It seems to work much like the moral teeter-totter where as the bad stuff piles up, we gain a need to be more moral, but if we give to charity and preach endlessly about how to be good and spend a couple hours every week listening to someone tell us about how good we are, then suddenly our chances of supplying nickels to street bums drops considerably. In fact even supplying nickels drops the chances of supplying nickels. We've given enough, today, so we'll ignore that bum. After all we can't give to everyone. That one before, he deserves it but this one needs to get a fucking job. But we know that's bullshit, don't we? We know we can't tell the difference between a good ant and a bad ant, so we just smite them all. And we feel good about it. After all, no matter how little your dick is if your profession is to whack off hamsters you're sure to gain the attitude that only a six foot throat could possibly handle your load.

      And that is why I like giraffes.
      Mzzkc, Burke, Dianeva and 3 others like this.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    2. #2
      Prone to AWOL Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Burke's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      LD Count
      ~A lot
      Gender
      Location
      Buffalo
      Posts
      1,301
      Likes
      797
      DJ Entries
      68
      I like dogs, though I agree with your point about giraffes. I can see how that would make them awesome and they may have just become my new favorite animal.

      Seabears also rank highly, though.
      Have a question? Send me a pm.

      ...We are all connected...

      Multiple Induction Technique (MIT) - Consistently have several lucids each night!

      2016 TotY: Dragon [ ] Fairy [ ] Unicorn [ ] Gnome [ ] Leprechaun [ ] Phoenix [ ] Chimera [ ]

    3. #3
      And Dream of Sheep. isthisit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      LD Count
      14
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      320
      Likes
      141
      DJ Entries
      37
      That gave me a headache... however I shall reply with the answer that rats are my favourite animal. Reasons? They are hugely misunderstood, with a negative attachment to them. They are however, amazingly intelligent, loving, social animals who need a lot of care and thrive on being with their own kind.

      I think this is because secretly, I am a rat.
      My Dream Journal = http://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/isthisit/ DILDs - 9 WILDs - 5
      Ooh, their breath is warm
      And they smell like sleep
      And they say they take me home
      Like poppies heavy with seed
      They take me deeper and deeper

    4. #4
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      dutchraptor's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Gender
      Location
      Tranquility
      Posts
      2,913
      Likes
      3041
      DJ Entries
      6
      Your post is completely irrational, has no meaning, idiotic. And I usually am very open to other people's ideas.
      I like ducks btw.
      littlezoe likes this.

    5. #5
      Gentlemen. Ladies. slayer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Right here... Reputation: 9999
      Posts
      4,900
      Likes
      469
      DJ Entries
      4
      guess
      moSh and littlezoe like this.

    6. #6
      Sound Manipulator moSh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      LD Count
      6
      Gender
      Location
      London
      Posts
      508
      Likes
      321
      DJ Entries
      60
      Unfortunately I couldn't see a link between the 3rd and 4th paragraphs, but it was in interesting read (can't believe I read the whole thing). What does not reading the whole of a post relate to not being open-minded?


      Quote Originally Posted by isthisit View Post
      That gave me a headache... however I shall reply with the answer that rats are my favourite animal. Reasons? They are hugely misunderstood, with a negative attachment to them. They are however, amazingly intelligent, loving, social animals who need a lot of care and thrive on being with their own kind.
      I'd say rats too. Used to have one, absolutely dude.
      isthisit likes this.
      GOALS - GLORY FOR TEAM INSTINCT
      DILD [ ] /// Chain a Lucid Dream [ ] /// Stabilise [ ] /// Ask someone what the time is [ ]
      Turn on a computer and jump into it [ ] /// Fly out the Earth's atmosphere [ ] /// Telekinesis [ ] /// Jump through door [ ]
      Listen to my favourite record [ ] /// Jump down two flights of steps without breaking the old kneecaps [ ] /// Smoke a fatty [ ]

    7. #7
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2008
      LD Count
      don't know
      Gender
      Posts
      1,602
      Likes
      1144
      DJ Entries
      17
      Otters because

      .
      littlezoe likes this.

    8. #8
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      1,373
      Likes
      1887
      DJ Entries
      1
      Cecropia moths :}

      Wayfaerer likes this.

    9. #9
      yawn smurfman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      LD Count
      -1 wait, what?
      Location
      probably infront of my computer
      Posts
      46
      Likes
      1
      DJ Entries
      9
      Platypi. Why? they are the only mammal to lay eggs and they have poisonious spines on ther hind legs. They are pretty cool and doesnt afraid of anything.
      I'd rather not have a signature, thanks.

    10. #10
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Tagger Second Class Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal Veteran Second Class
      OctoberWind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      467
      Likes
      720
      DJ Entries
      4
      Can't claim that I really have a favorite, but I would say jellyfish.

      My reason being that I enjoy how they're so unique and sometimes deadly.


      Cats
      Last edited by OctoberWind; 07-06-2012 at 12:55 AM.
      SnowyCat likes this.

    11. #11
      InSaNiTy Ekyu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      LD Count
      18
      Gender
      Location
      Behind you
      Posts
      349
      Likes
      327
      DJ Entries
      1
      Hmm, probably a koala bear cause they are cute and awesome!



      All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose.

      It's best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes.

    12. #12
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Atheist

    13. #13
      And Dream of Sheep. isthisit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      LD Count
      14
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      320
      Likes
      141
      DJ Entries
      37
      Quote Originally Posted by OctoberWind View Post
      Can't claim that I really have a favorite, but I would say jellyfish.

      My reason being that I enjoy how they're so unique and sometimes deadly.


      youre supposed to say cats!!!
      Carrot, OctoberWind and SnowyCat like this.
      My Dream Journal = http://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/isthisit/ DILDs - 9 WILDs - 5
      Ooh, their breath is warm
      And they smell like sleep
      And they say they take me home
      Like poppies heavy with seed
      They take me deeper and deeper

    14. #14
      InSaNiTy Ekyu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      LD Count
      18
      Gender
      Location
      Behind you
      Posts
      349
      Likes
      327
      DJ Entries
      1
      Nothing to see here, move along!
      Last edited by Ekyu; 07-06-2012 at 03:31 AM.


      All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose.

      It's best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes.

    15. #15
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Tagger Second Class Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal Veteran Second Class
      OctoberWind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      467
      Likes
      720
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by isthisit View Post
      youre supposed to say cats!!!
      fixed

    16. #16
      gab
      USA gab is offline
      Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      gab's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      LD Count
      306 events
      Gender
      Location
      California Republic
      Posts
      9,575
      Likes
      10556
      DJ Entries
      783
      Quote Originally Posted by Ekyu View Post
      Cats are overrated! That's right i said it!
      Oh, nos! I thought you liked me

      1. cats - that's right, I said it!
      2. meercats
      3. treefrogs and poison dart frogs
      4. cute beetles I had on my hand in last LD
      5. kittens
      6. pugs
      7. guinea pigs
      8. cute bird that likes sitting on my shoulder .... and many moooore...

      Oh yeah, I have read your OP, Omnis, but there was something about deception and I don't like that, so I told myself not to post here. So here I am, not posting.

    17. #17
      Prone to AWOL Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Burke's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      LD Count
      ~A lot
      Gender
      Location
      Buffalo
      Posts
      1,301
      Likes
      797
      DJ Entries
      68
      Quote Originally Posted by OctoberWind View Post
      fixed
      You forgot the apostrophe.

      Have a question? Send me a pm.

      ...We are all connected...

      Multiple Induction Technique (MIT) - Consistently have several lucids each night!

      2016 TotY: Dragon [ ] Fairy [ ] Unicorn [ ] Gnome [ ] Leprechaun [ ] Phoenix [ ] Chimera [ ]

    18. #18
      InSaNiTy Ekyu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      LD Count
      18
      Gender
      Location
      Behind you
      Posts
      349
      Likes
      327
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by gab View Post
      Oh, nos! I thought you liked me

      1. cats - that's right, I said it!
      2. meercats
      3. treefrogs and poison dart frogs
      4. cute beetles I had on my hand in last LD
      5. kittens
      6. pugs
      7. guinea pigs
      8. cute bird that likes sitting on my shoulder .... and many moooore...

      Oh yeah, I have read your OP, Omnis, but there was something about deception and I don't like that, so I told myself not to post here. So here I am, not posting.




      <3
      gab and littlezoe like this.


      All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose.

      It's best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes.

    19. #19
      gab
      USA gab is offline
      Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      gab's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      LD Count
      306 events
      Gender
      Location
      California Republic
      Posts
      9,575
      Likes
      10556
      DJ Entries
      783
      Quote Originally Posted by Ekyu View Post
      <3
      koala.jpg

      NEW list:
      1. cats - that's right, I said it!
      2. meercats
      3. koalas
      4. treefrogs and poison dart frogs
      5. cute beetles I had on my hand in last LD
      6. kittens
      7. pugs
      8. guinea pigs
      9. cute bird that likes sitting on my shoulder

    20. #20
      My Stunt Double Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Carrot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      LD Count
      30+
      Gender
      Posts
      3,015
      Likes
      3662
      DJ Entries
      70
      I feel intimidated to post after I was greeted by your lengthy post. I wanted to read what's so fascinating about giraffes to you but I wasn't in a reading mood yesterday. And your post gave me no reason to reply to the topic.
      dutchraptor likes this.

    21. #21
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      This was fun.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    22. #22
      Member Caenis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      LD Count
      10
      Gender
      Posts
      567
      Likes
      386
      DJ Entries
      25
      Quote Originally Posted by moSh View Post
      Unfortunately I couldn't see a link between the 3rd and 4th paragraphs, but it was in interesting read (can't believe I read the whole thing). What does not reading the whole of a post relate to not being open-minded?
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnis Dei
      We are perfectly willing to presume we're right about everything but completely unwilling to presume that any one else's thoughts have value. Worse yet we're positive we've heard it and learned it before, and the most they'll do is bore you out of sheer repetition.
      I might misunderstand, but I believe this is the connection: the impatience to read another's opinion reveals how little value people put in others' opinions, and how highly they think of their own thoughts. 'My thoughts are more important and original than yours, your opinion will bore me, so I'm not going to read about your ideas.' The lack of desire to spend time reading and considering others opinions implies that people are not truly accepting of others' ideas, and thus not open minded.

      If my interpretation is correct, then I do not entirely agree with the point Omnis Dei is making. People are adjusting to absorbing information in short and concise paragraphs, and like skimming to pick out the main points. That does not imply a closed mind, but merely a change in how people read and absorb information.

      I feel Omnis Dei would be happier if I had posted my favorite animal instead of responding to a portion of his wall of text. As such, my favorite animal is a hippo. It's fat and aggressive. It is beautifully round and powerful.
      Dianeva and gab like this.

    23. #23
      My Stunt Double Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Carrot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      LD Count
      30+
      Gender
      Posts
      3,015
      Likes
      3662
      DJ Entries
      70
      How much another's opinions matters to you also depends on how much that person meant to you. So it's not just about open-mindedness and close-mindedness. And the same idea phrased in two different ways will result in two different results too, so one's tone is highly important too.

    24. #24
      Member Chicken's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      LD Count
      15
      Gender
      Location
      Raxacoricofallapatorius
      Posts
      136
      Likes
      122
      DJ Entries
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by isthisit View Post
      That gave me a headache... however I shall reply with the answer that rats are my favourite animal. Reasons? They are hugely misunderstood, with a negative attachment to them. They are however, amazingly intelligent, loving, social animals who need a lot of care and thrive on being with their own kind.

      I think this is because secretly, I am a rat.
      I totally agree with you, I have had rats and they were amazing. Very smart, fun and loving. My rat followed me everywhere around the house.
      But....I also love my pet sheep, she is black, funny and very sweet. And she also has 4 nipples (instead of the normal 2) so she is a cowsheep
      Dianeva, Carrot, moSh and 1 others like this.

      Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good

    25. #25
      Sound Manipulator moSh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      LD Count
      6
      Gender
      Location
      London
      Posts
      508
      Likes
      321
      DJ Entries
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by Caenis View Post
      I might misunderstand, but I believe this is the connection: the impatience to read another's opinion reveals how little value people put in others' opinions, and how highly they think of their own thoughts. 'My thoughts are more important and original than yours, your opinion will bore me, so I'm not going to read about your ideas.' The lack of desire to spend time reading and considering others opinions implies that people are not truly accepting of others' ideas, and thus not open minded.
      Thanks for clearing things up, it makes a lot more sense to me now.

      I'm going to have to disagree partially as well, as I think your assumption is highly generalised. Sure, many (if not, the majority) will value their own knowledge and opinion higher than others, but, speaking for myself, I can safely say not all people do. My activity on this site is a good example - I'm still relatively new to the subject of dreaming, as well as spirituality (I only really started looking into it all at the start of this year), and I have no formal training in philosophy. Because of this, I rarely have much to say in the extended discussions about these 3 general topics, so most of my time is spent reading other peoples' inputs and opinions as I know there's a lot I can learn from doing so. Had you asked me a year ago what I thought of spirituality, I would have no doubt said it was a load of nonsense, but the fact that I am now trying to the follow the path of Buddhism shows I gave up that ignorant viewpoint due to someone else's influence (or many peoples').

      I hope this is a valid reply and I haven't misunderstood the post - but if I did you can blame Caenis
      Carrot, gab and Caenis like this.
      GOALS - GLORY FOR TEAM INSTINCT
      DILD [ ] /// Chain a Lucid Dream [ ] /// Stabilise [ ] /// Ask someone what the time is [ ]
      Turn on a computer and jump into it [ ] /// Fly out the Earth's atmosphere [ ] /// Telekinesis [ ] /// Jump through door [ ]
      Listen to my favourite record [ ] /// Jump down two flights of steps without breaking the old kneecaps [ ] /// Smoke a fatty [ ]

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 31
      Last Post: 12-17-2011, 11:20 AM
    2. What is your favorite animal? (new version)
      By peacock486 in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 62
      Last Post: 07-31-2010, 01:44 AM
    3. animal guides... animal foes
      By cygnus in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 12-05-2009, 07:48 PM
    4. Favorite Animal
      By Infraredkelp in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 64
      Last Post: 04-27-2007, 06:02 AM
    5. Replies: 70
      Last Post: 09-07-2004, 06:22 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •