• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 99
    Like Tree55Likes

    Thread: What makes you unique? How are you special?

    1. #26
      Member Savy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      182
      Likes
      103
      DJ Entries
      15
      Sure, we're all unique for our own conciousness and quirks, but based on what Seroquel asked:

      Quote Originally Posted by Seroquel
      Or maybe you're not special. Do you think you are far more mature, and intelligent than your acquaintances? For your age? Perhaps your family too. Do they not seem as smart now that you've grown up and even surpassed them intellectually.
      Do you feel like you are "enlightened" to a degree more than most people?
      I think it's false to feel more mature, intelligent or enlightened than your peers.
      Just how I feel.

    2. #27
      Haunted by entropy. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      sloth's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      LD Count
      20 years worth
      Gender
      Location
      Deep in the woods
      Posts
      2,122
      Likes
      573
      I disagree, based off of the experiences I have had in my life, and the fact that, scientifically speaking, some people ARE more intelligent than others.
      tommo, MadMonkey and Seroquel like this.
      ---o--- my DCs say I'm dreamy.

    3. #28
      Sleeping Dragon juroara's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Gender
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      3,865
      Likes
      1171
      DJ Entries
      144
      Scientifically speaking, your intelligence is heavily determined on your environment and the food and water you drink. Not genetics.

    4. #29
      Member Savy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      182
      Likes
      103
      DJ Entries
      15
      What? I was pretty sure that IQ was completely genetic. Well, whatever.

      My point is that even if you are superior in some way (intelligence, etc),you still shouldn't walk around thinking yourself superior.
      Though we are not born equal, we die that way.
      Every life is equal, and I just think its a bad practice to allow yourself to walk around, looking down upon others.
      Last edited by Savy; 07-29-2011 at 09:32 PM.

    5. #30
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
      My point is that even if you are superior in some way (intelligence, etc),
      you still shouldn't walk around thinking yourself superior.
      Is what you mean to say that intelligence doesn't make you superior? Because as it stands, you're advocating self delusion. If you are superior, then why not think so?

      Also, the differences in intelligence between yourself and a chimpanzee are entirely of a genetic nature. Saying that genetics doesn't influence intelligence is a mistake. As far as I know, the variation due to environment may outweigh the variation due to genetics but I don't think that that's been determined (or reached concensus) yet.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    6. #31
      Member Savy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      182
      Likes
      103
      DJ Entries
      15
      I'm not advocating self-delusion so much as I'm advocating humility.
      Although you may be better than someone at something (intelligence, sports, whatever)
      it still doesn't mean you are superior to that person.
      You can never know someone 100%, and every person on this planet has secrets and depth that you'll never know about.
      Thinking you're better than everyone just because you're more intelligent is wrong (or for any other reason).

    7. #32
      Haunted by entropy. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      sloth's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      LD Count
      20 years worth
      Gender
      Location
      Deep in the woods
      Posts
      2,122
      Likes
      573
      Believing that one is more intelligent than another does not mean that one believes that he is superior. Therefore, humility can still be present while still understanding that one's intelligence is one particular aspect about oneself that is more advanced than another. I think that I practice this everyday. Just because I am smrter than another person does not mean that I am "better" than them. They may be faster, stronger, bigger, more handome, or they may be able to pee farther. Not only that, but I am fully aware that even if I was "superior" to another in every way, it still does not make me a better person, as this requires there to be a universal, perfect judge of such things. If such a being does exist, surely he does not report his findings to us anyway.

      Also, if your life-long environment consists of a room full of gasoline fumes, you are most likely not going to have the intelligence of the next guy which shows that the environment can surely play a part in intelligence. I think that genetics determine the overall potential of how well your brain can process information, however.
      tommo, MadMonkey and Savy like this.
      ---o--- my DCs say I'm dreamy.

    8. #33
      Member Savy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      182
      Likes
      103
      DJ Entries
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by sloth
      Believing that one is more intelligent than another does not mean that one believes that he is superior. Therefore, humility can still be present while still understanding that one's intelligence is one particular aspect about oneself that is more advanced than another. I think that I practice this everyday. Just because I am smrter than another person does not mean that I am "better" than them. They may be faster, stronger, bigger, more handome, or they may be able to pee farther. Not only that, but I am fully aware that even if I was "superior" to another in every way, it still does not make me a better person, as this requires there to be a universal, perfect judge of such things. If such a being does exist, surely he does not report his findings to us anyway.
      Well. That's pretty much what I was trying to say, only you're more eloquent about it.

    9. #34
      Haunted by entropy. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      sloth's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      LD Count
      20 years worth
      Gender
      Location
      Deep in the woods
      Posts
      2,122
      Likes
      573
      I have gas.

    10. #35
      Once again. Raspberry's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      1,983
      Likes
      815
      DJ Entries
      88
      I seem to be able to put myself in others shoes, see their point of view and how they feel better than people I know. It's handy for situations that need help, and understanding how people feel. Also let's me pick out lies and figure out what they're gonna do next.

    11. #36
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7
      I can do that too. So you're not unique now

      I'm not unique. I am smarter than most people I know.
      But there are probably hundreds of thousands of people that are smarter than me.

      I don't like this thread. Everyone is unique. But not at the same time.
      It's mostly experiences that make us unique. And the small genetic differences.
      So overall a very, very slight difference between people.

      Then there's the bigger differences, like top athletes, artists, scientists etc.
      I would call them unique. But even then, they are probably still only slightly different
      to everyone else.

      I've never met an animal (excluding humans) that didn't like me.
      I'm good at a lot of things, but not great at any, so it seems.

      That is all.
      Raspberry and fOrceez like this.

    12. #37
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
      I'm not advocating self-delusion so much as I'm advocating humility.
      Although you may be better than someone at something (intelligence, sports, whatever)
      it still doesn't mean you are superior to that person.
      You can never know someone 100%, and every person on this planet has secrets and depth that you'll never know about.
      Thinking you're better than everyone just because you're more intelligent is wrong (or for any other reason).
      You're the one that associated intelligence with superiority, not me. I was just asking.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    13. #38
      Prone to AWOL Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Burke's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      LD Count
      ~A lot
      Gender
      Location
      Buffalo
      Posts
      1,301
      Likes
      797
      DJ Entries
      68
      I am unique in some ways, but not others. I am most likely the only person who is on dreamviews that has the same name as i do (full name) but i am not the only person who is named what i am named. It depends on the situation . I believe special is a matter of opinion, but no, as of right now i do not consider my self special.
      Have a question? Send me a pm.

      ...We are all connected...

      Multiple Induction Technique (MIT) - Consistently have several lucids each night!

      2016 TotY: Dragon [ ] Fairy [ ] Unicorn [ ] Gnome [ ] Leprechaun [ ] Phoenix [ ] Chimera [ ]

    14. #39
      widdershins modality Taosaur's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Ohiopolis
      Posts
      4,843
      Likes
      1003
      DJ Entries
      19
      I think we've had enough responses to fill a short bus, so we probably don't need to hear from any more 'special' people.
      If you have a sense of caring for others, you will manifest a kind of inner strength in spite of your own difficulties and problems. With this strength, your own problems will seem less significant and bothersome to you. By going beyond your own problems and taking care of others, you gain inner strength, self-confidence, courage, and a greater sense of calm.Dalai Lama



    15. #40
      <span class='glow_9400D3'>saltyseedog</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      LD Count
      eternally
      Gender
      Location
      land of the lost pets
      Posts
      2,380
      Likes
      1520
      DJ Entries
      15
      Everyone is special. Everyone is equally important. We are all equally deserving of love. Although we have done stupid doesn't mean we should be condemned and treated as lower life forms. all life forms are special. And all are equally deserving of love.
      Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake

    16. #41
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,951
      Likes
      5833
      DJ Entries
      172
      Quote Originally Posted by saltyseedog View Post
      Although we have done stupid doesn't mean we should be condemned and treated as lower life forms. all life forms are special. And all are equally deserving of love.
      ... Then why would it bother you to be treated as a "lower" life form... ?

    17. #42
      <span class='glow_9400D3'>saltyseedog</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      LD Count
      eternally
      Gender
      Location
      land of the lost pets
      Posts
      2,380
      Likes
      1520
      DJ Entries
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      ... Then why would it bother you to be treated as a "lower" life form... ?
      Because it goes against the principle I choose to live my life by
      fOrceez likes this.
      Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake

    18. #43
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      1,373
      Likes
      1887
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by juroara View Post
      Scientifically speaking, your intelligence is heavily determined on your environment and the food and water you drink. Not genetics.
      Apparently not.

      ScienceDaily (Apr. 27, 2006) — Psychiatric researchers at The Zucker Hillside Hospital campus of The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research have uncovered evidence of a gene that appears to influence intelligence. Working in conjunction with researchers at Harvard Partners Center for Genetics and Genomics in Boston, the Zucker Hillside team examined the genetic blueprints of individuals with schizophrenia, a neuropsychiatric disorder characterized by cognitive impairment, and compared them with healthy volunteers. They discovered that the dysbindin-1 gene (DTNBP1), which they previously demonstrated to be associated with schizophrenia, may also be linked to general cognitive ability. The study is published in the May 15 print issue of Human Molecular Genetics.

      Intelligence Gene Identified

    19. #44
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,951
      Likes
      5833
      DJ Entries
      172
      Wait... but didn't you just say all life forms are equal? How then can it be insulting to be called a "lower" life form? Something here doesn't compute.

    20. #45
      <span class='glow_9400D3'>saltyseedog</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      LD Count
      eternally
      Gender
      Location
      land of the lost pets
      Posts
      2,380
      Likes
      1520
      DJ Entries
      15
      lol. wellllll. let me self analyse for a second

      Well I said all life forms are of equal importance. Everything is of equal importance although from our perspective it may not seem that way. It kind of depends on your definition of lower life form. Some humans I see. if not most. See humans as kind of more important than all other animals. as if we are so special and unique that we are more deserving of life and so on. yet we are all life forms. Because we are all life forms that is a limited view of kind of self importance. Everything is interdependent. To act against that is to act against the nature of your soul. some humans see other humans as lower life forms. Because of who they are, what they've done, what they look like even. And that is to condemn rather than to love. People do things because of their concept of self. Condemning someone doesn't change their concept of self. it changes nothing about the person. It doesn't help the good of the whole. We are all interdependent. We cannot exist in this world alone. And everything that exists has a purpose or it wouldn't exist. So thats what I'm saying. I'm pretty sure......
      Last edited by saltyseedog; 08-01-2011 at 07:26 AM.
      Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake

    21. #46
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,951
      Likes
      5833
      DJ Entries
      172
      Ok, I gotcha! I wasn't disagreeing with the concept, just thought the way you worded it came out funny. Kind of a paradox. It's the kind of thing that, if a scientist in a 50's movie input it into a computer, would have shorted out all its circuits, ya know?

    22. #47
      Perception Quantiq's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Ottawa, Canada
      Posts
      445
      Likes
      270
      DJ Entries
      7


      Thought I would share this to the thread and rant about medicority and ignorance later. I need breakfast first.
      Last edited by Quantiq; 08-02-2011 at 06:33 AM.

    23. #48
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      1,373
      Likes
      1887
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by saltyseedog View Post
      lol. wellllll. let me self analyse for a second

      Well I said all life forms are of equal importance. Everything is of equal importance although from our perspective it may not seem that way. It kind of depends on your definition of lower life form. Some humans I see. if not most. See humans as kind of more important than all other animals. as if we are so special and unique that we are more deserving of life and so on. yet we are all life forms. Because we are all life forms that is a limited view of kind of self importance. Everything is interdependent. To act against that is to act against the nature of your soul. some humans see other humans as lower life forms. Because of who they are, what they've done, what they look like even. And that is to condemn rather than to love. People do things because of their concept of self. Condemning someone doesn't change their concept of self. it changes nothing about the person. It doesn't help the good of the whole. We are all interdependent. We cannot exist in this world alone. And everything that exists has a purpose or it wouldn't exist. So thats what I'm saying. I'm pretty sure......


      Your argument is now invalid.
      Quantiq likes this.

    24. #49
      <span class='glow_9400D3'>saltyseedog</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      LD Count
      eternally
      Gender
      Location
      land of the lost pets
      Posts
      2,380
      Likes
      1520
      DJ Entries
      15
      Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake

    25. #50
      Oneironaut Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      ThePreserver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      1,428
      Likes
      1044
      I find it humorous that there's an argument over the origin of intelligence. Being "right" about it will probably make people feel special, while making other people feel less special because they were wrong. A UNIQUE thing to do would be not take a side, and watch it unfold, wouldn't it?

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. One thing that makes you unique
      By Drawsher in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 39
      Last Post: 09-30-2009, 09:49 PM
    2. What makes you unique, great, and awesome?
      By Maestro in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 07-17-2008, 02:47 AM
    3. My unique case.
      By Mr.Dicul in forum Lucid Experiences
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 02-11-2008, 05:29 AM
    4. Everyone Is Unique
      By ezekiel7 in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 07-06-2007, 12:59 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •