• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17
    Results 401 to 413 of 413
    Like Tree1Likes

    Thread: The Law Of Attraction

    1. #401
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      the problem is that claiming objective morality implies some sort of authoritative source of morality - what is this?
      A better understanding for personal and universal gain.

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      Huh. I never thought of it that way. We are a part of the universe, after all... but still, it's not the universe as a whole reacting to the thoughts and wishes, it's only the tiny bits of it that are sentient - my argument is unchanged.
      Which is sentient and which is not?

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      There is no real Law of Attraction apart from the effects of simple interactions between human beings.
      This is the most obvious effects of the Law, though many fail to see the Universal connection. What are your thoughts of those Youtube Links mentioned over and over?

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      I believe in matter over matter, and the human brain is most certainly made of matter. Thoughts are also actually 'physical' things - they're electrical impulses in the brain.
      This is understandable. But what drives the thoughts - what moves movement? Does this go back to "determinism" and lack of "free will"? Things in this world are alive and physical, but I highly doubt for physical reasons. The color you see; the sound you hear are not physical, but they are derived from the physical. What then, is sight and sound to the observer?

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      I don't doubt that it's possible to convince yourself that you're dying to the point where you die... however, you can't actually freeze to death unless it's cold enough - that's physically impossible. The brain can fake the effects on the cognitive level, but you can't actually freeze the inter cellular fluids and things like that.
      Yes it may be impossible at this stage in time, to freeze literally to death by intention. But cognition is what matters; pardon the pun, it does more than you think; pardon the pun, again. Freezing to death in this context I take it that the brain has lowered the body temperature to deadly levels - that, therefore is possible by intention, but the intention must be very powerful, as use to anyone's destiny. Therefore "faking" isn't fake at all, here.

      By the way thegnome54, you can take your Christmas hat off now.

    2. #402
      Be NOW Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      NonDualistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Quad Cities , Illinois USA
      Posts
      987
      Likes
      80
      DJ Entries
      21
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      Originally Posted by NonDualistic :
      The individual is from before the beginning, and continues through to after the end.
      Where do you get this statement from; can you please explain it?

      Consciousness

      Inner and Outer

      Absolute and Relative

      The one expresses through the other

      One underlying the other

      Both in One View

      Two perceptions

    3. #403
      SwagTypeHeavy awoke's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Madcity Wisco
      Posts
      293
      Likes
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      Well, it's fine if you think that abortion and gay marriage have obvious solutions, but the problem is that claiming objective morality implies some sort of authoritative source of morality - what is this?

      hmm, not sure. but philosophy and paradoxes aside. don't you just 'know' in your gut what's right, and wrong? maybe we ourselves, are the authority. almost as though right and wrong is innate in us. and if not, our intelligence should be able to work out what's right, and what's not, if we're honest with ourselves. and i don't mean to imply right and wrong is always easy. there are grey areas. some times causing someone discomfort in the moment, is better for them and everyone in the long run. sometimes you have to be angry and aggressive. but it's in the name of love, not fear or control.



      Huh. I never thought of it that way. We are a part of the universe, after all... but still, it's not the universe as a whole reacting to the thoughts and wishes, it's only the tiny bits of it that are sentient - my argument is unchanged. There is no real Law of Attraction apart from the effects of simple interactions between human beings.

      I see your point. but how els can the universe put anything into action if not thru sentient beings? like, it's not that magic isn't real, it's just that we expect magic to be more than, or something different than what it is.
      if that makes any sense. like, we don't think its magic unless the brick stops in mid air moments before cracking our heads open. if a man walks by right before it hits us and catches it, thats not magic, thats coincidence or good luck. why? the end result is the same... your heads intact. maybe magic operates under the laws of physics as well. you know what i'm saying?




      I believe in matter over matter, and the human brain is most certainly made of matter. Thoughts are also actually 'physical' things - they're electrical impulses in the brain. I don't doubt that it's possible to convince yourself that you're dying to the point where you die... however, you can't actually freeze to death unless it's cold enough - that's physically impossible. The brain can fake the effects on the cognitive level, but you can't actually freeze the inter cellular fluids and things like that.

      the guy wrote a goodbye letter to his family. and they analyzed the handwriting, concluding that the shaking of his hands while writing, were congruent with how someone would shiver while freezing to death.
      try as you might, you can't make your muscles shake like that right now. you'd have to actually be freezing... or truly believe you were.

      I also read, (on the this board actually) about monks who meditated for warmth in a room set to 40 degrees F. then they placed wet blankets over their shoulders, and shortly after the blankets were steaming and drying out. that requires real heat. thats the mind manifesting something physical, by simply concentrating on it
      ...........(message was too short due to me typing in your quotes)
      High Head at Low Noon

    4. #404
      The Wondering Gnome Achievements:
      1 year registered Referrer Silver Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      thegnome54's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Sector ZZ 9 Plural Z Alpha
      Posts
      1,534
      Likes
      21
      don't you just 'know' in your gut what's right, and wrong? maybe we ourselves, are the authority. almost as though right and wrong is innate in us.

      Yes, but that's subjective morality - we all have different notions of 'right' and 'wrong'.

      I see your point. but how els can the universe put anything into action if not thru sentient beings?


      You're begging the question. You can't assume that the universe has 'will'.

      maybe magic operates under the laws of physics as well. you know what i'm saying?


      No, I don't, because that's not magic. It's just coincidence, by definition.

      try as you might, you can't make your muscles shake like that right now. you'd have to actually be freezing... or truly believe you were.

      Exactly. He truly believed. So what?

      I also read, (on the this board actually) about monks who meditated for warmth in a room set to 40 degrees F. then they placed wet blankets over their shoulders, and shortly after the blankets were steaming and drying out. that requires real heat. thats the mind manifesting something physical, by simply concentrating on it


      The "mind" IS physical. It's the brain. The brain regularly regulates (hah) our body temperature. Ever heard of a fever? We have energy stores, and can generate heat if we need to. So that's what they did. That doesn't mean that we can affect inanimate objects in ways which logically mesh with our wishes just by the act of wishing.

    5. #405
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      Gnome, can you please be bothered answering to my reply post instead of completely ignoring it?

      By the way, Mind is not matter. It's a spiritual thing you can't avoid.

    6. #406
      The Wondering Gnome Achievements:
      1 year registered Referrer Silver Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      thegnome54's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Sector ZZ 9 Plural Z Alpha
      Posts
      1,534
      Likes
      21
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      A better understanding for personal and universal gain.
      That really doesn't answer my question.

      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      Which is sentient and which is not?
      Living things are presumably sentient. It's unreasonable to extend this ability to things like rocks or soil.

      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      This is understandable. But what drives the thoughts - what moves movement? Does this go back to "determinism" and lack of "free will"? Things in this world are alive and physical, but I highly doubt for physical reasons. The color you see; the sound you hear are not physical, but they are derived from the physical. What then, is sight and sound to the observer?
      Why do you think it's not physical? These things are all driven by natural law. To look for anything else is foolish, you do not understand natural law.

      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      By the way thegnome54, you can take your Christmas hat off now.
      Never!
      ...maybe later.

      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      By the way, Mind is not matter. It's a spiritual thing you can't avoid.
      Why do you reject the scientific explanation of neuronal networks? Is this statement coming from any sort of research, or just a 'gut' feeling?

    7. #407
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by NonDualistic View Post
      Consciousness

      Inner and Outer

      Absolute and Relative

      The one expresses through the other

      One underlying the other

      Both in One View

      Two perceptions
      But the (before the) beginning and (after the) end of what?

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      That really doesn't answer my question.
      When you realize that having a good morality is something which can benefit naturally you will see that it is more than just a simple viewpoint; hence the authority.

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      Living things are presumably sentient. It's unreasonable to extend this ability to things like rocks or soil.
      I'd have to say living things are the most sentient and intelligent. But all substance is sentient, right down to the very quanta, at the very least. Living things are simply the most obvious of this sentience by their level of intelligence. This is why the Law of Attraction is not limited to our truest desires.


      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      Why do you think it's not physical? These things are all driven by natural law. To look for anything else is foolish, you do not understand natural law.
      Well, I don't think the feedback of our five objective senses are physical exactly, but they are felt through physical stimulation and interaction. Light is not physical, but you can feel it, where is this feeling - our sense of being? This is objective consciousness, it is not physical, but that is partly where it is united.

      What is natural law?

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      Why do you reject the scientific explanation of neuronal networks? Is this statement coming from any sort of research, or just a 'gut' feeling?
      What's the scientific explanation? I am aware of neurons. But I don't think there are "light" neurons and "sound" neurons and "taste" neurons for example, that's where I conclude: Spirit, feeling, living and being.
      Last edited by really; 02-05-2008 at 03:43 AM.

    8. #408
      Be NOW Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      NonDualistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Quad Cities , Illinois USA
      Posts
      987
      Likes
      80
      DJ Entries
      21
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      But the (before the) beginning and (after the) end of what?


      The embodied self, the person that most everyone looks into the mirror and believes themselves to be....


      Take a look in the "motion" topic I started and see if there is anything developing there that helps you get a better feel for what or how I am seeing.

    9. #409
      The Wondering Gnome Achievements:
      1 year registered Referrer Silver Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      thegnome54's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Sector ZZ 9 Plural Z Alpha
      Posts
      1,534
      Likes
      21
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      When you realize that having a good morality is something which can benefit naturally you will see that it is more than just a simple viewpoint; hence the authority.
      In order for something to "benefit" you, you need some sort of goal to be helped towards. In your case, it's survival. However, there is no reason for your survival to be objectively 'better' than your death. In this way, morality is only useful to individual humans, and is objectively irrelevant.

      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      I'd have to say living things are the most sentient and intelligent. But all substance is sentient, right down to the very quanta, at the very least. Living things are simply the most obvious of this sentience by their level of intelligence.
      Evidence? Reasoning? This seems pretty unfounded to me, considering we don't even know what the 'quanta' are, much less whether or not they are sentient.


      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      What is natural law?
      Physics. Gravity, electromagnetism, strong force, weak force.

      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      What's the scientific explanation? I am aware of neurons. But I don't think there are "light" neurons and "sound" neurons and "taste" neurons for example, that's where I conclude: Spirit, feeling, living and being.

      Of course there are!!! Ever heard of taste buds? There are gustatory axons which branch off of the cranial nerves to pick up tastes. As for "light neurons", there's a giant forest of them in the back of your eye - called the retina! There's a hole in the back of your eye for the optic nerve to pass through - this is what causes the blind spots in both eyes. There are bunches of "Sound nerves" making up the spiral ganglions which lead to the auditory nerve.

      I don't understand how you can draw conclusions, and be so certain of their verity, when you clearly have no understanding of the mechanisms at work. I'm not trying to say that I understand it perfectly, as no one does, but you should really check your facts before claiming with certainty that you "know" these things.

    10. #410
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by NonDualistic View Post
      The embodied self, the person that most everyone looks into the mirror and believes themselves to be....


      Take a look in the "motion" topic I started and see if there is anything developing there that helps you get a better feel for what or how I am seeing.
      Yeah I will soon, I'm still not clear on this.

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      In order for something to "benefit" you, you need some sort of goal to be helped towards. In your case, it's survival. However, there is no reason for your survival to be objectively 'better' than your death. In this way, morality is only useful to individual humans, and is objectively irrelevant.
      I think I see what your saying. Life benefits from no death, death benefits more life. So they're equal.

      However, subjectively I guess you'd have to feel this to know; that life and expression is the entire purpose of existence.

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      Evidence? Reasoning? This seems pretty unfounded to me, considering we don't even know what the 'quanta' are, much less whether or not they are sentient.
      Sorry. I'm just referring to anything in existence as moving (sentient), but that's clearly the wrong definition. Everything of substance moves; possesses some characteristic of life, the only difference being how much. That was my talk of sentience.

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      Physics. Gravity, electromagnetism, strong force, weak force.
      Ok thanks. I thought you were referring to one law, but I understand now.

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post

      Of course there are!!! Ever heard of taste buds? There are gustatory axons which branch off of the cranial nerves to pick up tastes. As for "light neurons", there's a giant forest of them in the back of your eye - called the retina! There's a hole in the back of your eye for the optic nerve to pass through - this is what causes the blind spots in both eyes. There are bunches of "Sound nerves" making up the spiral ganglions which lead to the auditory nerve.
      Yeah, sorry another of my flaws in communication. I'm finding this hard to explain. You're right, yes, but that's not my point. I'm saying that what transmits the information; neurons; nerves; is not the information itself. See:

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      Things in this world are alive and physical, but I highly doubt for physical reasons. The color you see; the sound you hear are not physical, but they are derived from the physical. What then, is sight and sound to the observer?
      Like, here's another computer analogy, relating neurons with bits. The electrical bits in a computer send all kinds of messages for all kinds of reasons. Let's talk about the monitor. Information is sent to the monitor as bits, and becomes image; from pixels - which have a specific individual color. What I am saying is that while the color is defined by the bits, it is not the bits themselves! How would you take this? Surely we can't be "watching" our retina, because then we'd need two pairs of eyes, so how do we see - do you know? How is this sensory information brought into such meaning and definition (apart from how the information is gathered from the world in the first place)?

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      I don't understand how you can draw conclusions, and be so certain of their verity, when you clearly have no understanding of the mechanisms at work. I'm not trying to say that I understand it perfectly, as no one does, but you should really check your facts before claiming with certainty that you "know" these things.
      This is where my communication is a problem, I understand the mechanisms but I am beginning to understand what is missing, on a greater plane of thought. I'm having trouble explaining it in common terms for those reasons.

      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      What are your thoughts of those Youtube Links mentioned over and over?
      Last edited by really; 02-07-2008 at 02:45 AM.

    11. #411
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      In front of a computer
      Posts
      156
      Likes
      1
      Its been a long time since I've logged into dreamviews and I gotta say, I never thought that this thread would go for almost a year! Anyway, that is all. Carry about your buisiness
      "The universe doesnt exist without life to understand it..."

    12. #412
      Unwilling, Improper EspadaInMyCloset's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      LD Count
      200
      Location
      Los Angeles, California
      Posts
      265
      Likes
      28
      Quote Originally Posted by Smileyguy597 View Post
      Its been a long time since I've logged into dreamviews and I gotta say, I never thought that this thread would go for almost a year! Anyway, that is all. Carry about your buisiness
      *rips thread away from you like a rabid dog*

      No!


      Go insane for me, I'm that selfish you see
      We're a wicked rhyme, a line followed
      By the darkest picture, making everyone cry

    13. #413
      Getting it hgld1234's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2010
      LD Count
      5 DLID 2 WILD
      Gender
      Posts
      281
      Likes
      16
      I think that the LOA MAY work, but it's not the Universe that attracts your thoughts:

      1) When we think about something in a positive way, we will notice when things work. Likewise, when we think negative, we notice when things DON'T work. Eg, 'I can become successful' will make you notice that you are successful. Thinking 'Everything's going wrong' will make you notice everything is going wrong.

      2) When we think about something, our subconscious goes to work, trying to make it true. However, the subconscious only understands positives, without the words 'don't' or 'not' etc. Thinking 'I can make myself a fourtune' drives your subconscious to making money. 'I don't need to have debt' will make your subconscious head for debt.

    Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •