• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 202
    1. #26
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by RedfishBluefish View Post
      If I entered a blissful state right now, it would feel pretty damn blissful. Then if I froze the universe like that...
      Then you'd be a blissful potato effectively. No time, no awareness, no new memories to remind you of the state of bliss you are in, nothing.
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    2. #27
      adversary RedfishBluefish's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Now
      Posts
      495
      Likes
      4
      Well...The point is you don't need reminding. Physically, if you can be blissful now, you can be blissful at any other time, simply by replicating the same brainstate - or a similar one. So any point in the future can be just as pleasant as now.
      Of course you don't have to freeze your brainstate at all - you could just "reset" when you get sick of it. I suppose that's what reincarnation's for, if it exists.

    3. #28
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by RedfishBluefish View Post
      Well...The point is you don't need reminding. Physically, if you can be blissful now, you can be blissful at any other time, simply by replicating the same brainstate - or a similar one. So any point in the future can be just as pleasant as now.
      Of course you don't have to freeze your brainstate at all - you could just "reset" when you get sick of it. I suppose that's what reincarnation's for, if it exists.
      The problem with the "no/frozen time" argument is its subsequent effective on our awareness. No time = no awareness, likewise, infinite time = infinite awareness. With no time, you have no future, past or present, because all three are concepts of time, and so without the progression of time, how can one be aware of the state one is in? In dreamless sleep, you are often not aware of the progression of time between the point you fall asleep and the point where you wake up. But the key thing is awareness. Any form of awareness so to allow recognition of a certain emotional state will inevitably require some form of progression of time. One can't simply be aware of an emotion in a timeless situation.
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    4. #29
      Member Amethyst Star's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Atashermi
      Posts
      6,856
      Likes
      63
      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      A blissful eternal state wouldn't really be blissful without something to distinguish/contrast with it. Otherwise, it'll simply be a normal, neutral state. Plus having to stay within a status quo for an eternity is not my idea of heaven. Even with all sorts of people coming and providing new conversation and all that, after let's say 1000 years, you would start to see similarities in people's lives and their stories. Eventually, there will come to a point where humanity has long ended and the universe would have faded away into a cold, dark place and no new people would enter heaven. Add the remaining infinite period of time after that, and it will become more of a drudgery than a heaven.
      Who said humanity would end? What if, by some miracle, humanity turned around and formed the earth into a paradise rather than a cesspool? And with things constantly changing (though a lot of things really do remain the same), I don't think "new" would be hard to come by.

      "If there was one thing the lucid dreaming ninja writer could not stand, it was used car salesmen."

    5. #30
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst Star View Post
      Who said humanity would end? What if, by some miracle, humanity turned around and formed the earth into a paradise rather than a cesspool? And with things constantly changing (though a lot of things really do remain the same), I don't think "new" would be hard to come by.
      Firstly, the sun won't last forever (before it explodes as a nova, it'll expand and consume the earth), and neither will the universe (if humans do manage to escape this solar-system). And if one is in a heaven for an eternity, one would be around for such things to occur and thus would experience the ceasing of the flow of humans into heaven. In an infinite existence, one would pretty much not only see everything else come to an end, but be stuck with an eternity ahead with no end in sight for yourself. Unless, one was to end when the universe ends, if heaven happens to be linked in any way to this reality.

      Also, I think there already is 'heaven' on earth if you are willing to look for it. We can strive to make sure it reaches everyone in some way. The only thing I'm really arguing against is on the notion of eternal existence being a 'reward'.
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    6. #31
      Member Bonsay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Location
      In a pot.
      Posts
      2,706
      Likes
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by lseadragon View Post
      My best theory is that heaven is actually nothingness. When you are nothing, you do not want for anything, and thus you are eternally content.
      Isn't this usually the atheistic idea of death?
      C:\Documents and Settings\Akul\My Documents\My Pictures\Sig.gif

    7. #32
      Your friendly naga Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger Second Class Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Lseadragon's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      The funny farm, Chalfont...
      Posts
      723
      Likes
      58
      DJ Entries
      9
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonsay View Post
      Isn't this usually the atheistic idea of death?
      Yes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Taosaur
      How are we not a forklift? All that contraction and elongation to raise and lower objects...

    8. #33
      I love cuddling!! cuddleyperson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Gender
      Location
      England
      Posts
      848
      Likes
      0
      a big problem with a Heaven that is perfect for you is that most of not all humans deepest desires are at least somewhat sinful, however i would assume sin can not occur in Heaven, Heaven is perfect after all. Having sex for pleasure is a sin so people couldn't for fill sexual fantasies in heaven,eating when it is not necessary(gluttony) is a sin, so no eating your favorite food in having, same goes with drink. there are many other examples but the point is if you keep your human consciousness in heaven, what you want would generally not be allowed.

      Interestingly on a site called gotquestions.com( recommend this site they email you back quickly and their answers are interesting and without bias, useful for when i want a Christian view on something, well at least what a Christian should think), a site which answers any question you put forward to it using scripture and a bit of their opinion but mainly focusing on scripture, claims that when you go to Heaven and see God, anything else wont matter anymore. You wont want to see family members who died, it wont cross your mind, you will bow before the glory of God himself, you will worship him for all eternity, you'd never want to stop because he is so amazing.
      Lugggs and cuddles and hugs for all!!

    9. #34
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by lseadragon View Post
      Is there anything wrong with this argument?
      Yes: You think there might be a problem with heaven.

    10. #35
      Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Victoria B.C. Canada
      Posts
      2,868
      Likes
      60
      There is nothing wrong with heaven, try and stop thinking like a human and go beyond your own ego. The ego is the one keeping you guys "i don't get it".
      The world has it's own things to worry about with society now a days. I have never seen past my own ego, but i will know it will stop me from seeing the truth. What's the truth? definatly not this....we made all this up. Afterall, if you look deep into yourself, how can it be a lie, and all this stuff we made up the truth? all this as in all the things we have in the world.

    11. #36
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by LucidFlanders View Post
      There is nothing wrong with heaven, try and stop thinking like a human and go beyond your own ego. The ego is the one keeping you guys "i don't get it".
      The world has it's own things to worry about with society now a days. I have never seen past my own ego, but i will know it will stop me from seeing the truth. What's the truth? definatly not this....we made all this up. Afterall, if you look deep into yourself, how can it be a lie, and all this stuff we made up the truth? all this as in all the things we have in the world.
      There is everything wrong with heaven (the concept that is). You say to stop thinking as a human, well bud, how else does one think? I get the concept of heaven, which is why I argue against it. Let me break the argument down for you:
      1. The implication of Eternity. When something is eternal, you will exist far beyond the end of the universe. You will end up witnessing firsthand or indirectly the end of humanity and the end of this universe. After that, after no more people enter heaven, you are left with an eternity ahead with a set amount of people and with the prospect of no escape, nothing new to occupy yourself with, left to wander in heaven or simply worship God forever.
      2. You lose your memories or some part of what makes you you and then somehow everything will be fine for coping with an eternal existence. The mindless drone syndrome.
      That's what my argument breaks down to. Heaven is horrible concept, the whole idea of an eternal existence is actually more akin to torture. Oh, so you are in a blissful state for eternity. How is that any different from being in pain for an eternity? As with hell, there's only so long you can continue to scream before you get accustomed to the pain. Likewise, with an eternal state of bliss, there's only so long before you grow accustomed to the feeling, and thus it becomes your normal state.

      The prospect of having to exist for an eternity is much more frightening then knowing one is going to die, because of the implications of what it means to experience eternity.
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    12. #37
      Below are Some Random Schmaven's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      LD Count
      Numbers
      Gender
      Location
      Green Mountains
      Posts
      1,042
      Likes
      307
      DJ Entries
      141
      Does the universe have to end? Who knows, it could go on for eternity. And I think heaven isn't just for humans. If you don't deny that other life exists in the universe, why shouldn't it have a place in heaven as well? So even if the human race becomes extinct, there would still be new beings entering heaven as long as there's still life in the universe.
      "Above All, Love"
      ~Unknown~

    13. #38
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Schmaven View Post
      Does the universe have to end? Who knows, it could go on for eternity. And I think heaven isn't just for humans. If you don't deny that other life exists in the universe, why shouldn't it have a place in heaven as well? So even if the human race becomes extinct, there would still be new beings entering heaven as long as there's still life in the universe.
      First of all, there will come a point where every single star will fade, as the essential elements required for fusion will be consumed, with matter either ending ending within black holes or simply floating in dark cloud of matter, and if proton decay is ever observed and proven, eventually all matter would decay and the universe will end up as a soup of low-energy radiation and particles. And if one had an eternal existence, they will witness such progression from a bright, dynamic universe to a cold, dark void (don't forget the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate).

      There will come a point the universe will end in some way or another. Any sort of eternal existence will put you in such a position that one will exist not only long enough to witness such events (which will drag on for billions of year), they will have to continue to exist far beyond after the universe itself has ended.
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    14. #39
      Discredited Wackjob Maroon_Sweater's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Nova Scotia
      Posts
      79
      Likes
      1
      I`m not sure. I think if there is a heaven, that's probably not where people go if they die. I`m not trying to start any religious argument here, but I`m just using it to prove my point.
      I`m going to go with the definition "A better place." and then that ironic "My mother just died" situation. For a parent, isn't the best place for them to be, with their child? So if they died and went to heaven, it wouldn't be a better place, because they've lost their purpose for existance, wouldn't they?

      Just throwing this out there.
      When I close my eyes it looks like this...


    15. #40
      Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Victoria B.C. Canada
      Posts
      2,868
      Likes
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      There is everything wrong with heaven (the concept that is). You say to stop thinking as a human, well bud, how else does one think? I get the concept of heaven, which is why I argue against it. Let me break the argument down for you:
      1. The implication of Eternity. When something is eternal, you will exist far beyond the end of the universe. You will end up witnessing firsthand or indirectly the end of humanity and the end of this universe. After that, after no more people enter heaven, you are left with an eternity ahead with a set amount of people and with the prospect of no escape, nothing new to occupy yourself with, left to wander in heaven or simply worship God forever.
      2. You lose your memories or some part of what makes you you and then somehow everything will be fine for coping with an eternal existence. The mindless drone syndrome.
      That's what my argument breaks down to. Heaven is horrible concept, the whole idea of an eternal existence is actually more akin to torture. Oh, so you are in a blissful state for eternity. How is that any different from being in pain for an eternity? As with hell, there's only so long you can continue to scream before you get accustomed to the pain. Likewise, with an eternal state of bliss, there's only so long before you grow accustomed to the feeling, and thus it becomes your normal state.

      The prospect of having to exist for an eternity is much more frightening then knowing one is going to die, because of the implications of what it means to experience eternity.


      Nothing wrong with heaven at all, and to stop thinking like a human i mean like meditate. People seem to be completly changed in their views when they look deep within themselves. While it's just yourself, if there is a soul i'm sure that also has some part of it. Connect to your soul, know the truth.

    16. #41
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by LucidFlanders View Post
      Nothing wrong with heaven at all, and to stop thinking like a human i mean like meditate. People seem to be completly changed in their views when they look deep within themselves. While it's just yourself, if there is a soul i'm sure that also has some part of it. Connect to your soul, know the truth.
      Connect to my soul huh... is that the best you can come up with? Essentially, you are saying that I must have some form of confirmation bias in order to "see that it isn't so bad" or " know the truth".

      I really don't understand religion's daemonisation of humanity. What is wrong with being human? Really... explain that to me. As for Meditation, all it does is help relax and focus. Nothing more. Also, how the fuck will I 'completely' change if I simply meditate? Am I trying to listen for this playing deep within my own mind?

      Let me spell it out to you where my position is on this whole thing... AGAIN. An eternal existence is effectively pointless, meaningless and is probably the worst thing you can have happen to a sentient being. You can't simply say that you'll be different in heaven so that this isn't an issue, because you are effectively implying that one becomes a mindless drone devoid of anything that made him/her who he/she was in life. In other words "Lobotomies for Jeebus!".

      At least tackle with the argument I've set out, not encourage me to take up another form of confirmation bias.
      Last edited by bluefinger; 06-15-2008 at 12:29 PM.
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    17. #42
      ˚șoș˚șoș˚ syzygy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Posts
      263
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      I really don't understand religion's daemonisation of humanity. What is wrong with being human? Really... explain that to me.
      There is nothing inherently wrong with being human, but the human mind contains the possibility of doubting that which gives the self its existence, its Being. This inevitably leads to an unnecessary limiting of the self (e.g. the physical self or the ego-self), and gives one a distorted view of 'Reality'. It is from this self-imposing limitation that Religion offers to set one free. By Religion, I am not referring to what most people today consider it to be, i.e. a purely social and sentimental institution, but rather to what it is in its truest sense - a re-linking between one's current limited state of being and the divine Principle that gives it its existence through the contemplation and meditation of the Self, by the Self, through the Self, and for the Self. Without this reflection on the self, ultimately leading to a true Realization of the higher Self, one cannot hope to understand what is beyond its self-imposed limitation because it will inevitably reduce all spiritual knowledge to the level of the physical and therefore completely distort it to the point of absurdity.

      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      As for Meditation, all it does is help relax and focus. Nothing more. Also, how the fuck will I 'completely' change if I simply meditate? Am I trying to listen for this playing deep within my own mind?
      It is a curious thing that you say things such as "all it does" or "nothing more". Why are you putting these limitations on it? I agree that it helps one relax and focus; the purpose of meditation is to calm the mind so that it can exist in a more pure state of being. When the mind is calm, it is free from all that is not essential to its Being and can only then recognize what it is not - Being in itself. Once it realizes this for itself, it is able to transcend the limitations of accidental properties and identify itself with a more pure and true state of being, a Heaven. It is by raising the self up to this state of being that one effectively changes the self.

      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      An eternal existence is effectively pointless, meaningless and is probably the worst thing you can have happen to a sentient being. You can't simply say that you'll be different in heaven so that this isn't an issue, because you are effectively implying that one becomes a mindless drone devoid of anything that made him/her who he/she was in life. In other words "Lobotomies for Jeebus!".
      Your assumption that in Heaven one is a "mindless drone" is a symptom of this limitation that I'm speaking of. It seems, from the way you describe your version of heaven, that you are confusing the limited, physical self with the infinite, spiritual Self. You are reducing the spiritual world to the physical, i.e. conceiving of eternity in terms of physical time, and are coming up with some pretty absurd conclusions.
      Eternity is not simply an irreversible, physical time that extends on indefinitely, but is rather the Moment where past, present, and future exist simultaneously. This dimensionless point is free from all limitation (physical space and time) and is therefore Infinite. One could never become "bored" of this state of being because it is filled with infinite possibility. "Boredom" can only occur in a state where one is not interested in their activity. In the spiritual world, one's space and time, one's activity, is their desire for that state. Boredom would therefore be a state reserved for a Hell, and not a Heaven, because an existence of boredom is a result of becoming trapped within one's limited self.
      ars sine scientia nihil

    18. #43
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Ahh, finally someone with some decent answers!

      Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
      There is nothing inherently wrong with being human, but the human mind contains the possibility of doubting that which gives the self its existence, its Being. This inevitably leads to an unnecessary limiting of the self (e.g. the physical self or the ego-self), and gives one a distorted view of 'Reality'. It is from this self-imposing limitation that Religion offers to set one free. By Religion, I am not referring to what most people today consider it to be, i.e. a purely social and sentimental institution, but rather to what it is in its truest sense - a re-linking between one's current limited state of being and the divine Principle that gives it its existence through the contemplation and meditation of the Self, by the Self, through the Self, and for the Self. Without this reflection on the self, ultimately leading to a true Realization of the higher Self, one cannot hope to understand what is beyond its self-imposed limitation because it will inevitably reduce all spiritual knowledge to the level of the physical and therefore completely distort it to the point of absurdity.
      First of all, Religion, by definition, is an organisation that holds to a key set of doctrines. What you are talking about here is Spirituality. Just to make sure certain definitions are clear.

      Also, I'm not in agreement with the idea of spiritual knowledge being reduced by a questioning 'limited' mind. If anything, a questioning mind discerns and investigates itself and thus is able to decipher what the Self is. You can't simply say that one has to spiritually enlighten oneself in order to come the realisation of Self. The only limitations of the mind is when it refuses to use logic and reasoning, holds onto conformed ideas and speculations without trying to analyse and understand. THAT is when the mind is hamstrung and 'limited'.

      Effectively, the whole daemonisation of humanity is because are inherently self-limiting? Well, no shit sherlock, as humans are bound with all sorts of limitations. However, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

      Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
      It is a curious thing that you say things such as "all it does" or "nothing more". Why are you putting these limitations on it? I agree that it helps one relax and focus; the purpose of meditation is to calm the mind so that it can exist in a more pure state of being. When the mind is calm, it is free from all that is not essential to its Being and can only then recognize what it is not - Being in itself. Once it realizes this for itself, it is able to transcend the limitations of accidental properties and identify itself with a more pure and true state of being, a Heaven. It is by raising the self up to this state of being that one effectively changes the self.
      As someone who meditates from time to time, I don't feel any changes to my self, I only derive sensations of relaxation and focus. I come out still being me, and not something less of me (or more, depending on what viewpoint you have on the matter). There is no empirical evidence to suggest that meditation does anything of the sort you claim, and thus I don't have to accept any of these claims. Basically, I try to adhere to the principle that "Though I want to believe in as many true things as possible, I want to get rid of as many false beliefs I have in order to achieve the former".

      Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
      Your assumption that in Heaven one is a "mindless drone" is a symptom of this limitation that I'm speaking of. It seems, from the way you describe your version of heaven, that you are confusing the limited, physical self with the infinite, spiritual Self. You are reducing the spiritual world to the physical, i.e. conceiving of eternity in terms of physical time, and are coming up with some pretty absurd conclusions.
      Eternity is not simply an irreversible, physical time that extends on indefinitely, but is rather the Moment where past, present, and future exist simultaneously. This dimensionless point is free from all limitation (physical space and time) and is therefore Infinite. One could never become "bored" of this state of being because it is filled with infinite possibility. "Boredom" can only occur in a state where one is not interested in their activity. In the spiritual world, one's space and time, one's activity, is their desire for that state. Boredom would therefore be a state reserved for a Hell, and not a Heaven, because an existence of boredom is a result of becoming trapped within one's limited self.
      First of all, how can anyone suggest that your spiritual self would be any different from your physical self? Without one being similar to the other, then you lose the whole definition of Self. Thus my conclusion of the whole mindless-drone syndrome. Also, Eternity does not equate to all time converging onto one point. That is lack of time, if there is no progression of some sort. Eternity is the infinite passage of time, not the convergence of time.

      Secondly, with all this infinite possibility... in an eternal existence, what is the point of all that possibility? What is the meaning, the purpose of it? What achievement can you gain in an existence that is essentially purposeless. Without some sort of limit, you lose not only your self, but also the purpose of your existence and any meaning it had. You say that I am putting things into physical contexts, but anything other than that is only pure speculation. To become anything other than who you are in this moment, enlightened or not, is essentially losing the very things that form your awareness and identity. And then to have an eternal existence stuck in a situation with no derivable purpose or meaning (despite the infinite potential), THAT is more akin to hell. There is no point of infinite potential, because if you can do everything and never run out of time, then what's the point of doing anything?

      I still see no reason as to why a 'spiritually enlightened state' will somehow give me the ability to withstand an eternity. Also, what purpose do I gain out of such a thing? Do I simply kick-back and relax for all eternity?
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    19. #44
      Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Victoria B.C. Canada
      Posts
      2,868
      Likes
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      Connect to my soul huh... is that the best you can come up with? Essentially, you are saying that I must have some form of confirmation bias in order to "see that it isn't so bad" or " know the truth".

      I really don't understand religion's daemonisation of humanity. What is wrong with being human? Really... explain that to me. As for Meditation, all it does is help relax and focus. Nothing more. Also, how the fuck will I 'completely' change if I simply meditate? Am I trying to listen for this playing deep within my own mind?

      Let me spell it out to you where my position is on this whole thing... AGAIN. An eternal existence is effectively pointless, meaningless and is probably the worst thing you can have happen to a sentient being. You can't simply say that you'll be different in heaven so that this isn't an issue, because you are effectively implying that one becomes a mindless drone devoid of anything that made him/her who he/she was in life. In other words "Lobotomies for Jeebus!".

      At least tackle with the argument I've set out, not encourage me to take up another form of confirmation bias.

      If you're gonna start swearing at things you don't like then it's pointless to even respond to you. Also, i was not talking about religion. I was also tackleing what you said with the whole ego talk.

    20. #45
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by LucidFlanders View Post
      If you're gonna start swearing at things you don't like then it's pointless to even respond to you. Also, i was not talking about religion. I was also tackleing what you said with the whole ego talk.
      Oh for goodness sake, one word. Because a few colloquialisms slip by somehow you don't feel the need to respond. Also, the reason I got a little heated was because of all the suggestions of confirmation bias (a logical fallacy if I might add), something I do not take kindly to. It doesn't tackle the issues I bring up, it is an attempt to 'sweep them under the rug'. At least syzygy tried to offer some more substantial answers (though I may not agree with them, I still felt it was a better attempt).
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    21. #46
      Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Victoria B.C. Canada
      Posts
      2,868
      Likes
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      Oh for goodness sake, one word. Because a few colloquialisms slip by somehow you don't feel the need to respond. Also, the reason I got a little heated was because of all the suggestions of confirmation bias (a logical fallacy if I might add), something I do not take kindly to. It doesn't tackle the issues I bring up, it is an attempt to 'sweep them under the rug'. At least syzygy tried to offer some more substantial answers (though I may not agree with them, I still felt it was a better attempt).

      Yeah 1 word, just means you can slip again at some other time you feel some "nonsense" comes up. Anyway you think heaven can't exist, and i gave you a reason why you believe that and think of it as you want, but it's true. The ego wont let you believe in things like "heaven", "the easter bunny","santa clause", etc etc. For a simple reason too...it's illogical to believe in silly things such as those. I doubt i will have an answer that will please you, because i have no idea if you will be pleased by anything that goes against what you believe, and that i am not here to make you believe, just to answer. You can make do with what you want since it's your choice to believe, or not to believe. I'm half and half.

    22. #47
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by LucidFlanders View Post
      Yeah 1 word, just means you can slip again at some other time you feel some "nonsense" comes up. Anyway you think heaven can't exist, and i gave you a reason why you believe that and think of it as you want, but it's true. The ego wont let you believe in things like "heaven", "the easter bunny","santa clause", etc etc. For a simple reason too...it's illogical to believe in silly things such as those. I doubt i will have an answer that will please you, because i have no idea if you will be pleased by anything that goes against what you believe, and that i am not here to make you believe, just to answer. You can make do with what you want since it's your choice to believe, or not to believe. I'm half and half.
      Listen. You gave answers, and I pointed out what I saw was wrong with them. Also, the whole ego thing is misguided, because the ego is simply one part of what makes who you are. And if you were to remove that, you'd be missing a good piece of who you are.

      All I'm doing is applying a critical line of thought here. And yes, you are correct to point out that certain things are completely illogical to believe in, and what I was doing was pointing out how illogical it is to perceive an eternal existence of some sort being a reward, considering the implications I pointed out.

      Now, hopefully, I explained well enough where I am coming at. As for my occasional slip of the tongue, it happens all the time, whether I'm talking to friends, family, or debating on the net. Does it mean anything? No... so don't take it personally.
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    23. #48
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      You say to stop thinking as a human, well bud, how else does one think?
      Stop thinking: Surrender thought.

      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      The prospect of having to exist for an eternity is much more frightening then knowing one is going to die,
      There is nothing to be afraid of. Absolutely nothing. On the contrary, a glimpse of God - the swelling of Perfection is a Bliss that is beyond mind-blowing, may scare the ego in its fears of its own dissolution (for foolish reasons).

      Quote Originally Posted by bluefinger View Post
      because of the implications of what it means to experience eternity.
      Your listed implications are very far from the Truth. Heaven is Perfect, that is that. (Words are very cheap).
      Last edited by really; 06-16-2008 at 09:43 AM.

    24. #49
      The Blue dreamer bluefinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,629
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      Stop thinking: Surrender thought.
      Ăgain, mindless drone... "Don't think! It's bad! D:"

      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      There is nothing to be afraid of. Absolutely nothing. On the contrary, a glimpse of God - the swelling of Perfection is a Bliss that is beyond mind-blowing, may scare the ego in its fears of its own dissolution (for foolish reasons).
      So kissing God's ass is what you do for an eternity?

      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      Your listed implications are very far from the Truth. Heaven is Perfect, that is that. (Words are very cheap).
      Truth is what you make of it. There is no absolute truth in the sense you are insinuating. Also, perfection is boring. If it was perfect, you can't improve upon it, you have no purpose to fulfil, and you gain no meaning to your existence. You basically would sit around kissing God's ass for eternity...
      -Bluefinger v1.25- Enter the madness that are my dreams (DJ Update, non-LD)

      "When you reject the scientific method in order to believe what you want, you know that you have failed at life. Sorry, but there is no justification, no matter how wordy you make it."

      - Xei

      DILD: 6, WILD: 1

    25. #50
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      bluefinger, if you want to understand, it requires patience, maturity and humility. I don't teach to kindergarten. Be honest with yourself.

    Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •