• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 20 of 20
    1. #1
      Member NeoSioType's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      557
      Likes
      11

      Here's a philosophical question

      Does man love another person, or does he love the other's love for him?
      Last edited by NeoSioType; 07-26-2008 at 09:37 PM.

    2. #2
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2
      That's not a philosophical question.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

      Ich brauche keine Waffe.

      Ich ermittle ausschlie▀lich mit dem Gehirn!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

    3. #3
      Member NeoSioType's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      557
      Likes
      11
      Does man love another person, or does he love the other's love for him?

      1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

      My question can be shaped very easily into one by provide an answer dealing with the conduct two people share with each other in regards to this.

    4. #4
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2
      It's still not a philosophical question. It's psychological at best. The answer varies from person to person, there's no "man".
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

      Ich brauche keine Waffe.

      Ich ermittle ausschlie▀lich mit dem Gehirn!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

    5. #5
      Be NOW Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      NonDualistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Quad Cities , Illinois USA
      Posts
      987
      Likes
      80
      DJ Entries
      21
      Love in the context of attraction

      Being attracted to someone not attracted to you is a vexation

      Being attracted to one who is attracted to you as well is sheer delight

      Thus attraction itself has its own weight it would seem

      This from personal observation over the years

      Signature work courtesy of Cloud

    6. #6
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      SLC, UT
      Posts
      834
      Likes
      0
      it depends I think. there's no such thing as love, because the quantity in that its given is always limited by missing pieces and we are all missing them

    7. #7
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Uh generally a man loves another person. See unrequited love, for example. But I suppose in very strong relationships love can become quite mutual like that, yes.

    8. #8
      not on boats
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Posts
      403
      Likes
      1
      Which man?

    9. #9
      :3 :3 :3
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Castaic, CA
      Posts
      152
      Likes
      0
      I say it depends,
      someone might love someone just because the other person loves him...
      :3 :3 :3
      AIM: hollingsXD
      MODEST MOUSE <3
      Fell free to laugh about my music taste lol

    10. #10
      Member JET73L's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      854
      Likes
      1
      depends what you mean by love. For example, in a purely measurable 3-axis system of lust, chemical compatibility, and psychological compatibility, yes, said man would love the other person. In a 1-axis system of definition based on "Is he willing to give up his sense of self, or his life, for this person?" then yes, he would love that person partly for them, but mostly the love that the femalke has for him, or will have, and he would effectiely do anything to increase that love.

      Really, it all depends on the definition. I worked out several effective definitions years ago, nearly all of them contradictory.
      Goals completed since joining: 10 -- Last goal completed: February 17, 2009
      Uncontrolled lucid dreams:23.5--controlled lucid dreams:24.5
      --WILDs:16.5--MILDs:1.5--DILDs:22--DEILDs:8--Quasilucids(do not count):3--
      --LTotMBasic:0--LTotMAdvanced:1--LTotY:0--
      JET73L's dream journal

    11. #11
      Member ChaybaChayba's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Skypedia
      Posts
      1,903
      Likes
      70
      My answer is; man should love all other persons, because they are just like him. My question is, why would you not love all people? How will not loving all people bring you any profit? Sure, you have more love for your family and friends, but in the end, you have infinite love, so you can just love everyone... the more love you give, the more love you will get...
      "Reject common sense to make the impossible possible." -Kamina

    12. #12
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2
      Quote Originally Posted by ChaybaChayba View Post
      My answer is; man should love all other persons, because they are just like him. My question is, why would you not love all people? How will not loving all people bring you any profit?
      For one, you would keep the ability to protect yourself against criminals, idiots and assholes. Also, the meaning of love is lost when you love everybody.
      Sure, you have more love for your family and friends, but in the end, you have infinite love, so you can just love everyone... the more love you give, the more love you will get...
      Yeah, except when the other person doesn't care and kills you because they're deranged.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

      Ich brauche keine Waffe.

      Ich ermittle ausschlie▀lich mit dem Gehirn!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

    13. #13
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      You don't really love any actual real people in the first place...You love the idea of them. There is no way any person can truly know another person to actually love that "person."

      For example...I love X person...However my definition of X person includes him being a loving person...so by that definition if he were a murderer and I didn't know, then I would actually love him, I would love the idea of him.

      That example is over the top but it stresses the point. You love idea's of people not the actual person.

    14. #14
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      If a man could not love another person and could only love the other person's love for him, there would be nothing to love since the other person could not love him and could only love his love for him/her, which could not exist for the same reason, ad infinitum. So a person in such a case would only love the other person's love for his love for her love for his love for her love for his love for her love for his love for her love for.... There would never be a point of substance, so there would be no love.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    15. #15
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Hey UM I can't tell from just looking at it but is that an impossible shape in your avatar?

    16. #16
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Penrose triangle (yes).

    17. #17
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      I figured that it was something like that. Mind trippy.

    18. #18
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by Sandform View Post
      Hey UM I can't tell from just looking at it but is that an impossible shape in your avatar?
      Yeah, it's an impossibility. It goes from bottom to top and then back to the bottom by going horizontal. It reminds me of some of M.C. Escher's sketches, except it involves photographs.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    19. #19
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      M. C. Escher did actually use something very like that in the lithograph waterfall, and it was based off the work of Roger Penrose in fact. All his impossible objects were (ascending and descending for example).

      It's weird that these things were only thought of last century really, because I swear I used to make them up all the time as a kid.



      Sorry, tangent. Really should make an Escher thread.

    20. #20
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      It's weird that these things were only thought of last century really, because I swear I used to make them up all the time as a kid.
      Well to be fair, there may have been, and probably were, artistic designs like these before known dates. For example...you say you did it as a kid...how many people know about that? Hehe. I suppose it was hard to find the material to draw also even 200 years ago. Even if you could find material I doubt you could find people with the time, or desire.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •