• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 23 of 23
    1. #1
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Posts
      6
      Likes
      0

      Has anyone contemplated the meaning of You?

      Sometimes I think You is the one who created this fold in the universe. And if he created it in his own image, no wonder we all call each other You.

    2. #2
      MILD: 0, DILD: 1, LD: 1, SuperChoji's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Canada eh! lol
      Posts
      86
      Likes
      2
      DJ Entries
      1
      ... eh?

    3. #3
      chillin' you? hisnameistyler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      439
      Likes
      3
      elabroate elaborate!!!

    4. #4
      Rare cat moth lucid4sho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Da Zone
      Posts
      518
      Likes
      5
      So if you is I and me is you than why can I not mean you too ?

      i made a funny. :bravo:
      "If you realize Sunyata (the void), compassion will arise within your hearts; and when you lose all differentiation between yourself and others, then you will be fit to serve others." - Milarepa


    5. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Posts
      6
      Likes
      0
      I feel as though it is ignorant for us all to just take the meanings of the words we use for granted. What I'm basically saying is, why do we replace the name of the person we are talking to with the name You? Who made that word? Maybe the fact that we generalize everyone by giving them all the name You when we are talking to them has something to do with the fact that we treat each other like shadows or something. Maybe we are all just shadows of this god You, and that is why we feel so empty at times. Or maybe You is a term or word designed to aid consumerism, so that we can all identify with things that "you like or you want." But for all I know we could be in year 3498593 in some Matrix-esque pod being taken care of by the technologies we have developed. hah.

    6. #6
      Rare cat moth lucid4sho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Da Zone
      Posts
      518
      Likes
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by ZucchiniBetweeni View Post
      I feel as though it is ignorant for us all to just take the meanings of the words we use for granted. What I'm basically saying is, why do we replace the name of the person we are talking to with the name You? Who made that word? Maybe the fact that we generalize everyone by giving them all the name You when we are talking to them has something to do with the fact that we treat each other like shadows or something. Maybe we are all just shadows of this god You, and that is why we feel so empty at times. Or maybe You is a term or word designed to aid consumerism, so that we can all identify with things that "you like or you want." But for all I know we could be in year 3498593 in some Matrix-esque pod being taken care of by the technologies we have developed. hah.
      I thought who was on first base.

      Its just for the sake of conversation, its more efficient to say you and I than to be constantly saying names.
      "If you realize Sunyata (the void), compassion will arise within your hearts; and when you lose all differentiation between yourself and others, then you will be fit to serve others." - Milarepa


    7. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Posts
      6
      Likes
      0
      Yes I agree with you on that, but that is something that I learned a long time ago and already have come to assume. The minds evolutionary state today is all about efficiency, but is that where the future is leading us? Should we all just continue to make conversation using language we developed simply because we had a need to be efficient? It might be more than that or less than that, all I am saying is we need not take our language for granted anymore, new words, new thoughts, and new feelings are all waiting to be realized by the new humans that finally realize there is no need for something to be completely certain, or efficient.

    8. #8
      Rare cat moth lucid4sho's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Da Zone
      Posts
      518
      Likes
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by ZucchiniBetweeni View Post
      Yes I agree with you on that, but that is something that I learned a long time ago and already have come to assume. The minds evolutionary state today is all about efficiency, but is that where the future is leading us? Should we all just continue to make conversation using language we developed simply because we had a need to be efficient? It might be more than that or less than that, all I am saying is we need not take our language for granted anymore, new words, new thoughts, and new feelings are all waiting to be realized by the new humans that finally realize there is no need for something to be completely certain, or efficient.
      I think looking for words with increased certainty and efficiency is the current and future trend. The largest additions to language in the past hundred years have come from slang terminology. I think that is how our language will evolve, each generation will use increasingly more slang and it will be more rapidly accepted.
      "If you realize Sunyata (the void), compassion will arise within your hearts; and when you lose all differentiation between yourself and others, then you will be fit to serve others." - Milarepa


    9. #9
      Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      4,904
      Likes
      63
      I moved this to philosophy, no clue why it was in the noob section.

    10. #10
      Purple Dinosaur ClassyElf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      175
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
      I moved this to philosophy, no clue why it was in the noob section.
      Actually this thread is pseudo-philosophy. It doesn't belong anywhere, let alone these forums.
      Last edited by ClassyElf; 09-15-2008 at 02:47 AM.
      I live in your philosophy and religion forums.

    11. #11
      - Neruo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Gender
      Location
      The Netherlands
      Posts
      4,438
      Likes
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by ClassyElf View Post
      Actually this thread pseudo-philosophy. It doesn't belong anywhere, let alone these forums.
      There maybe really should be a pseudo-philosophy subforum.

      We just started using the word 'you' or a grunt or sound like it, as a way to be able to talk about the person you are having a conversation with. There is no reason to use a name when it is clear who you mean with 'you'.

      I am sure there are some evolutionary / linguistic theories about the origin of the word 'you'. Really not a big mystery there. To make up metaphysical out-there worlds is quite silly.

      ---

      (in response to Shift's post below this one. I rather not spam this topic further.)

      This is the most-correct forum to move this thread. It think it will die by lack of actual argumentation, there is just nothing to say. Hard to debate, discuss and agree on random propositions. I think unicorns don't exist, but unicorns are green. Yeah. Okay. /*Thread dies*
      Last edited by Neruo; 09-15-2008 at 01:32 AM.
      “What a peculiar privilege has this little agitation of the brain which we call 'thought'” -Hume

    12. #12
      Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      4,904
      Likes
      63
      You guys can let it die out here then, but this forum seems best over everything else. Or you can bring some intelligence into the debate and make it true philosophy, or something.

    13. #13
      Member 4seaer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Gender
      Location
      levittown
      Posts
      7
      Likes
      0
      I think someone needs to remember he or she is awake?!

    14. #14
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Posts
      6
      Likes
      0
      For people who have such open minds it seems quite contradictory to be able to deny with such certainty any possibility of a thing.

    15. #15
      Drivel's Advocate Xaqaria's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      WhoIsJohnGalt?
      Gender
      Location
      Denver, CO Catchphrase: BullCockie!
      Posts
      5,589
      Likes
      929
      DJ Entries
      9
      You
      1 : the one or ones being addressed —used as the pronoun of the second person singular or plural in any grammatical relation except that of a possessive <you may sit in that chair><you are my friends><can I pour you a cup of tea> —used formerly only as a plural pronoun of the second person in the dative or accusative case as direct or indirect object of a verb or as object of a preposition — compare thee , thou , ye , your , yours

      The ability to happily respond to any adversity is the divine.
      Art
      Dream Journal Shaman Apprentice Chronicles

    16. #16
      DEATH TO FANATICS! StonedApe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      toledo,OH
      Posts
      2,269
      Likes
      415
      DJ Entries
      61
      I haven't really thought much about the word you, though I have thought about the the word I.

      I think that eye came after I and may on some level be related to how your perception(eyes) makes up your sense of self(I). The way you look at life makes up so much of who you are. Our experiences are really what make us who we are.
      157 is a prime number. The next prime is 163 and the previous prime is 151, which with 157 form a sexy prime triplet. Taking the arithmetic mean of those primes yields 157, thus it is a balanced prime.

      Women and rhythm section first - Jaco Pastorious

    17. #17
      Drivel's Advocate Xaqaria's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      WhoIsJohnGalt?
      Gender
      Location
      Denver, CO Catchphrase: BullCockie!
      Posts
      5,589
      Likes
      929
      DJ Entries
      9
      I- from old english Ic, which comes from the german Ich.

      Eye- from old english eage pronounced aye-guh which comes from the proto-germanic word augon. (ow-gun)

      Sometimes things evolve to be similar or even the same along completely different evolutionary paths.

      The ability to happily respond to any adversity is the divine.
      Art
      Dream Journal Shaman Apprentice Chronicles

    18. #18
      DEATH TO FANATICS! StonedApe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      toledo,OH
      Posts
      2,269
      Likes
      415
      DJ Entries
      61
      I know isn't it amazing.

      http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...t=55830&page=3

      Thats the kind of angle I was looking at it from, not a scientific or linguistic. I don't think theres much basis to what I said, though everything in life is deeply interconnected. If you learn to adjust your focus, all life starts to have meaning, similarities, patterns. Thats really all we experience in the outside world, complex patterns which we put meaning to and use over and over again only making alterations and juxtapositions of previous patterns.
      157 is a prime number. The next prime is 163 and the previous prime is 151, which with 157 form a sexy prime triplet. Taking the arithmetic mean of those primes yields 157, thus it is a balanced prime.

      Women and rhythm section first - Jaco Pastorious

    19. #19
      The Anti-Member spockman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,500
      Likes
      132
      Originally Posted by ZucchiniBetweeni
      I feel as though it is ignorant for us all to just take the meanings of the words we use for granted. What I'm basically saying is, why do we replace the name of the person we are talking to with the name You? Who made that word? Maybe the fact that we generalize everyone by giving them all the name You when we are talking to them has something to do with the fact that we treat each other like shadows or something. Maybe we are all just shadows of this god You, and that is why we feel so empty at times. Or maybe You is a term or word designed to aid consumerism, so that we can all identify with things that "you like or you want." But for all I know we could be in year 3498593 in some Matrix-esque pod being taken care of by the technologies we have developed. hah.
      I thought who was on first base.

      Its just for the sake of conversation, its more efficient to say you and I than to be constantly saying names.
      Or we could be a really creative autistic alien with twelve tentacles who made up this entire reality in our minds...

      Anyway how does the use of pronouns have anything to do with morality?!?
      Paul is Dead




    20. #20
      Drivel's Advocate Xaqaria's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      WhoIsJohnGalt?
      Gender
      Location
      Denver, CO Catchphrase: BullCockie!
      Posts
      5,589
      Likes
      929
      DJ Entries
      9
      Quote Originally Posted by stonedape View Post
      I know isn't it amazing.

      http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...t=55830&page=3

      Thats the kind of angle I was looking at it from, not a scientific or linguistic. I don't think theres much basis to what I said, though everything in life is deeply interconnected. If you learn to adjust your focus, all life starts to have meaning, similarities, patterns. Thats really all we experience in the outside world, complex patterns which we put meaning to and use over and over again only making alterations and juxtapositions of previous patterns.
      *Please don't be a link to the synchromysticism thread...Please don't be a link to the synchromysticism thread...Please don't be a link to the synchromysticism thread...*

      Damnit!

      Humans are pattern recognition machines. We thrive through making connections where other creatures might not. Our most important evolutionary skill, predicting the future, is based in this concept.

      Unfortunately, sometimes this skill can go to0 far and we start noticing patterns in the randomness of our world. Scizophrenics often have this problem; just watch A Beautiful Mind. Anyone who has done acid (like the creator of that thread) can tell you the same thing. I'm not saying these patterns aren't really there necessarily, but that there is a distinct difference between a pattern that has manifested randomly and a useful one.

      Randomly occuring patterns can be meaningful, but only in the right context. If we ascribe meaning to every pattern we find, then suddenly all patterns get equal attention and the stripes coming out of the forest to eat you become no different than the geometric tesalations in the bark of that tree.

      The ability to happily respond to any adversity is the divine.
      Art
      Dream Journal Shaman Apprentice Chronicles

    21. #21
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2
      The person referenced by the word You depends on the person saying it and the situation. It's not a "name", it's a pronoun. You use it to address people.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

      Ich brauche keine Waffe.

      Ich ermittle ausschließlich mit dem Gehirn!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

    22. #22
      Amateur Psychonaut pyroguy305's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      LD Count
      1.5
      Gender
      Location
      The horribly designed town of Cary.
      Posts
      238
      Likes
      2
      DJ Entries
      3
      Sounds like 1984 to me... You know what I'm talking about? NewSpeak?

    23. #23
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2
      Quote Originally Posted by pyroguy305 View Post
      Sounds like 1984 to me... You know what I'm talking about? NewSpeak?
      No. The English language wasn't engineered by some obscure tyrant. It evolved naturally.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

      Ich brauche keine Waffe.

      Ich ermittle ausschließlich mit dem Gehirn!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •