• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 298
    Like Tree21Likes

    Thread: The Devastatingly Controversial Abortion Thread

    1. #51
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4023
      DJ Entries
      149
      Quote Originally Posted by O'nus View Post
      Thank you, I knew someone agreed with me.

      *Shakes fist at Oneironaut*

      ~
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    2. #52
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by zeneyes View Post
      Abortion should be legal for one reasonl...overpopulation. Abortion is one of the few choices to help with this problem. Euthanasia is the other. Most other options are ethically wrong. We live in a world that supports us with a limited amount of arable land to create food. At some point human population will surpass the ability for the earth to support our existance. We have already surpassed the point where the Earth can support us via renewable means. If it were not for the massive petroleum inputs into the soil via herbacides, pestacides, fungacides, and plain fuel to power the food manufacturing process, we would have tapped out around 6 billion I believe. Petroleum is a limited resource that will eventually peak...at that point something will have to give. The only intelligent thing that mankind can do to curtail this innevitable problem is to deal with our population problem. Abortion is a viable solution. Each new pregnancy is another mouth the Earth has to feed. Why add unwanted/unfortunate babies to the already stressed food supply? We should not only keep abortion legal but the gov. should give birth control away freely, as well as contraceptives. Abortion should be paid for with tax money, and there should not be a social stigma attached. The alternatives are a hell of a lot nastier than abortion.
      If you want to lower the birthrate in America we need to stop giving people money for having babies. I speak with a guidance counselor often from one of my old schools, she talks about her experiences with students. She says she gets girls coming into her office crying saying "I can't get pregnant." Girls in high school. They are purposely getting pregnant so they can receive money from the government, they think that they are getting something from this but they are only hurting themselves so that they can't ever get out of their circumstances, and more than likely they will teach their children to have children to get money as well.

    3. #53
      DUCK FA POLICE lysergic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Evermore
      Posts
      215
      Likes
      1
      well... i've read a lot of really good opinions in here. i'd have to say my perspective has been somewhat broadened.
      e-x--p---a----n-----d------> yourself.

    4. #54
      Member zeneyes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Gender
      Location
      South Carolina
      Posts
      78
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Sandform View Post
      If you want to lower the birthrate in America we need to stop giving people money for having babies. I speak with a guidance counselor often from one of my old schools, she talks about her experiences with students. She says she gets girls coming into her office crying saying "I can't get pregnant." Girls in high school. They are purposely getting pregnant so they can receive money from the government, they think that they are getting something from this but they are only hurting themselves so that they can't ever get out of their circumstances, and more than likely they will teach their children to have children to get money as well.
      I agree with you that children having babies for government money is a huge problem. I see this nonsense almost daily with my work. I didn't bring up overpopulation to talk about it so much as I did to use it as a valid reason why abortion should be legal. It's insanity to force an unwanted baby into the world simply because you believe it's somehow morally wrong to abort when the world is facing problems due to there being to many babies. That's like saying "smoking causes cancer, we need to fix this problem and eradicate cancer as best we can, here is your free pack of government sponsored cigarettes!!" Personally I think it's murder to kill a baby when it has been detached from the umbilical cord and is breathing on it's own. That said, there should be no excuse for aborting past the first trimester, and I would be okay with it being illegal past the second. Bottom line is that unitl the baby is out of the womb it's part of the mother's body and she should have the right to make her own decision.

    5. #55
      Queen of insomnia marlie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      342
      Likes
      4
      DJ Entries
      1
      If your not responsible enough to stop an unwanted pregnancy then you arent responsible enough to have a child so get rid. No child is better than a badly treated one.


      My Dream Journal
      An erection doesnt count as personal growth.

    6. #56
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      2,119
      Likes
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by zeneyes View Post
      Bottom line is that unitl the baby is out of the womb it's part of the mother's body and she should have the right to make her own decision.
      Not only should, but has as a matter of universal morality. There is a small set of rights that apply to all human beings that are not mandated by any government or organization; they are intrinsic to all thinking, sentient beings. These intrinsic rights are defined by the fact that to argue they do not exist leads to some sort of absurdity, as I've pointed out in this thread. One of them is the right to abortion. A couple others are the right to absolute control over ones body and the right of property.

    7. #57
      Worst title ever Grod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      LD Count
      breathe for me
      Gender
      Location
      gliding in the absolute
      Posts
      3,550
      Likes
      194
      There is no difference in the instant before a baby comes out of a mothers vag and when it comes out.

    8. #58
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      2,119
      Likes
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by Grod View Post
      There is no difference in the instant before a baby comes out of a mothers vag and when it comes out.
      That's true. But I propose we set the line at a much less arbitrary point, such as when the baby is able to be removed and be expected to live. This happens at around the 7 month mark usually.

    9. #59
      The Anti-Member spockman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,500
      Likes
      132
      If your not responsible enough to stop an unwanted pregnancy then you arent responsible enough to have a child so get rid. No child is better than a badly treated one.
      Whenever I hear this argument I view it as pretty arrogant, actually. No-one has the right to tell someone else that thier life isn't worth living because of thier own standards.
      Paul is Dead




    10. #60
      Queen of insomnia marlie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      342
      Likes
      4
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by spockman View Post
      Whenever I hear this argument I view it as pretty arrogant, actually. No-one has the right to tell someone else that thier life isn't worth living because of thier own standards.
      spoke like a true teenage parent


      My Dream Journal
      An erection doesnt count as personal growth.

    11. #61
      The Anti-Member spockman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,500
      Likes
      132
      spoke like a true teenage parent
      Paul is Dead




    12. #62
      the life to live. Rozzy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Gender
      Location
      colorado
      Posts
      723
      Likes
      17
      a friend of mine told me earlier today about a great analogy he discovered on abortion.

      a huge argument that gets brought up is the fact that it is alive, it is not alive, it's a baby, it's a mass of cells.

      okay here's that analogy,

      i have a shotgun. there is a deer behind a bush, i know because i saw it, i shoot it. there is a man behind a bush, i know because i saw him, i don't shoot. what if there is something behind the bush, i don't know if it is a man or a deer because of the fact that well, i didn't see it. do i shoot it? no!!!! why because if it is a man, it's murder.

      there.

      one question though to all the pro-choice, how is it that you can stand to legalizing the murder of an innocent human life, and yet negate the murder of convicted criminals. not all of you i know, c ause generalization, leads to stupidity and ignorance, but alot of pro-choice people i meet seem to think that.
      War never solved anything... except slavery, oppression, genocide, communism, fascism, and nazism
      Quote Originally Posted by Bearsy View Post
      Feel free to help yourself to all the GTFO you can stuff in your pockets as you're walking out the door
      [CarmineEternity] 4:54 pm: I LOVE ANA
      Quote Originally Posted by NeoSioType View Post
      The reason people don't like questioning their beliefs is because it threatens their inner security. People have a habit of looking for what only comforts them.

    13. #63
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      385
      Quote Originally Posted by aorozco View Post
      a friend of mine told me earlier today about a great analogy he discovered on abortion.

      a huge argument that gets brought up is the fact that it is alive, it is not alive, it's a baby, it's a mass of cells.

      okay here's that analogy,

      i have a shotgun. there is a deer behind a bush, i know because i saw it, i shoot it. there is a man behind a bush, i know because i saw him, i don't shoot. what if there is something behind the bush, i don't know if it is a man or a deer because of the fact that well, i didn't see it. do i shoot it? no!!!! why because if it is a man, it's murder.

      there.

      one question though to all the pro-choice, how is it that you can stand to legalizing the murder of an innocent human life, and yet negate the murder of convicted criminals. not all of you i know, c ause generalization, leads to stupidity and ignorance, but alot of pro-choice people i meet seem to think that.
      Ignorance.

      Fetuses are parasites. They are a part of the mother and she has the choice, not you.

      And no, I happen to NOT oppose capital punishment.

    14. #64
      Haha. Hehe. Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,774
      Likes
      32
      Yeah the whole point is that the fetus is NOT considered to be a human life by those who are pro-choice. So that analogy does not hold.

    15. #65
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by O'nus View Post
      Thank you, I knew someone agreed with me.

      *Shakes fist at Oneironaut*

      ~
      HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!! HE EXISTS!!!!!!!


      I just witnessed a god.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    16. #66
      Member bradybaker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      2,160
      Likes
      3
      Over 30% of conceptions are aborted naturally in the first weeks of pregnancy. I would say that makes God the most prolific abortionist of them all.
      "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."



      The Emancipator MySpace

    17. #67
      The Anti-Member spockman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,500
      Likes
      132
      Or it's just the evolutionary process being the biggest abortionist, with God being the one who implemented the system.
      Paul is Dead




    18. #68
      the life to live. Rozzy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      Gender
      Location
      colorado
      Posts
      723
      Likes
      17
      Quote Originally Posted by A Roxxor View Post
      Ignorance.

      Fetuses are parasites. They are a part of the mother and she has the choice, not you.

      And no, I happen to NOT oppose capital punishment.
      i didn't say all pro-choice people are against cappital punishment, i said the ones i know. and well she already made a choice of doing a specific task that can lead to that. don't get me wrong, if the mother is in danger or something then the fetus should be remove, only in that case.

      Quote Originally Posted by Mes Tarrant View Post
      Yeah the whole point is that the fetus is NOT considered to be a human life by those who are pro-choice. So that analogy does not hold.
      uh the analogy is basically saying if we aren't 100% sure that the "mass of cells" is technically alive, then we shouldn't terminate it in the case that it is... so the analogy does stand.
      War never solved anything... except slavery, oppression, genocide, communism, fascism, and nazism
      Quote Originally Posted by Bearsy View Post
      Feel free to help yourself to all the GTFO you can stuff in your pockets as you're walking out the door
      [CarmineEternity] 4:54 pm: I LOVE ANA
      Quote Originally Posted by NeoSioType View Post
      The reason people don't like questioning their beliefs is because it threatens their inner security. People have a habit of looking for what only comforts them.

    19. #69
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by aorozco View Post
      uh the analogy is basically saying if we aren't 100&#37; sure that the "mass of cells" is technically alive, then we shouldn't terminate it in the case that it is... so the analogy does stand.
      I think what you're failing to understand about Mes T. is that she is saying that pro-choice people are 100% sure that a lump of cells are not alive.

    20. #70
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      362
      Likes
      122
      I have actually spoken with a woman who was born 5 months premature. I'd always been against late term abortion, but just the fact of this woman being born after only 4 months in the womb, and being perfectly fine today really sewed up my opposition to all but the earliest abortions.

      Oh and the way you guys equate abortion with contraception bugs me. Contraception should come first, thus avoiding the need for abortion, and if that fails, abortion should be carried out as early as possible. Waiting till you have a viable baby to go and kill it is wrong IMO.

    21. #71
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      So let me get this straight, I'm the only one in this entire forum that thinks not only is a fetus alive, but it deserves to die just as much as every other human being?

      I recommend not only should abortion be mandatory for women with low scores on standarized tests, but there should also be a random system of catch and abort just to break people's poor little hearts every once in a while.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    22. #72
      Haha. Hehe. Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,774
      Likes
      32
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnius Deus View Post
      So let me get this straight, I'm the only one in this entire forum that thinks not only is a fetus alive, but it deserves to die just as much as every other human being?
      Pretty much. Btw, I'm assuming you meant "live" instead of "die."

    23. #73
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      No if you keep reading I think we should kill them, not terminate them, and make that distinction because they are alive, and aborting them makes them dead, and that's murder. There's nothing wrong with murder, though. We should also kill random unborn babies sometimes even when the parents didn't want an abortion just to instill fear on the population.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    24. #74
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by Mes Tarrant View Post
      Pretty much. Btw, I'm assuming you meant "live" instead of "die."
      Lol he probably means die he is a homocidal maniac.

    25. #75
      Haha. Hehe. Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,774
      Likes
      32
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnius Deus View Post
      No if you keep reading I think we should kill them, not terminate them, and make that distinction because they are alive, and aborting them makes them dead, and that's murder. There's nothing wrong with murder, though. We should also kill random unborn babies sometimes even when the parents didn't want an abortion just to instill fear on the population.
      That is not a valid distinction because, as most pro-choice people have said, the fetus is a cluster of cells like your fingernail or a boil or something. Nothing more.

    Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •