• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 484
    1. #76
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      You'll find that almost all of those are actually only true if you first assume that .999 is not 1.

      Except this one:

      3. .999~ + .111~ =1

      Which shows that you don't know what you're talking about at all. .999... + .111... is definitely not equal to 1. It's equal to 1.11...

      Do it on a calculator if you don't believe me.

      .999... + 0.00...1 recurring is 1, and 0.00...1 is 0, so .999 = 1.

    2. #77
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      385
      Quote Originally Posted by xXSomeGuyXx View Post
      I also have three ways to prove that it, in fact, is not 1.

      1. They have different points on a number line.
      2. .999~ in a fraction is .999~/1
      3. .999~ + .111~ =1
      For dem algebraic freeks out there:
      .999x = 1
      x = ...? I dunno. BECAUSE 1 AND .9999999999999~ ARE NOT EQUAL NUMBERS.
      2. Now get rid of the decimal.


      4.

      You fail at algebra.

      .999...x = 1

      x = 1/.999...

      x = 1

      Again, x = .9...; 10x = 9.9...; 9x = 9; x = 1

    3. #78
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      @ Xei

      Whoops, sorry. That doesn't make sense. I just did that on my calculator, and I give you that one.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    4. #79
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by A Roxxor View Post
      2. Now get rid of the decimal.


      4.

      You fail at algebra.

      .999...x = 1

      x = 1/.999...

      x = 1

      Again, x = .9...; 10x = 9.9...; 9x = 9; x = 1
      In case you haven't noticed, that post was edited...

      And I don't fail at algebra.


      @ Xei, what's wrong with the Density Property reason?

      2. Now get rid of the decimal.


      4.

      You fail at algebra.
      Whait...what? If you take away the decimal, it's not the same number. That doesn't make sensu unless you divide the answer by...1000.
      Last edited by [SomeGuy]; 10-24-2008 at 11:21 PM.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    5. #80
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Well all of your other 'proofs' are wrong because you first have to assume that .999 is not 1 in order for them to work. Try it.

      I've never heard of density property and Wikipedia has nothing to say about it.

    6. #81
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      385
      Quote Originally Posted by xXSomeGuyXx View Post
      In case you haven't noticed, that post was edited...

      And I don't fail at algebra.
      Well, your first last proof didn't make any sense

      And y = .999... is the same as y = 1. Because .999... = 1.


    7. #82
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      If you took the time (IMPOSSIBILITY AHEAD!!!) to make a graph with every single decimal between 0 and 1 and the graphed y=.999~ and y=0, you would see that they are on different positions. Especially if you made the intervals big enough. Picture it. Please.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    8. #83
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      y=1 you mean.

      And no. There would be an infinitely small difference between them.

      Imagine you've got a meter rule where 0cm is marked 0 and 100cm is marked 1.

      How many times bigger would you have to make the meter rule so that the distance between 0.999... and 1 was 1cm wide?

    9. #84
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      depends on how you mark the points.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    10. #85
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      There's no ambiguity at all about my question.

    11. #86
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Lol, we've been at this for pages!

      7. .999~ doesn't even look like 1!

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    12. #87
      Eprac Diem arby's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      LD Count
      i/0
      Gender
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      1,957
      Likes
      50
      lolwut?

      How is that rational? A rational can be written as p/q where p and q are both integers.

      How do you write 0.99999... as p/q?

    13. #88
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Posts
      330
      Likes
      2
      The density property is one way of proving .99... equals 1, and not a way of disproving it.

      http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/56025.html

      If .999... and 1 are different numbers, then I challenge you to find a number between them. That would effectively prove that they are different numbers.

      No matter how you try, you wont' find any numbers between them.

      Then what is the fractional equivalent of .999...?
      9/9. Surely you know that a number like 45/99 is equal to .45454545... with the 45's repeating. Likewise, 7/9 is .777....

      9/9 is .999... and, unless you're mathematically challenged, equal to 1.

      Quote Originally Posted by arby
      The big problem I have with these proofs is that you are applying rules meant for rational numbers on irrational ones.
      .999... is not irrational. An irrational number is a number with a non-repeating, non-terminating decimal. I'm pretty sure .99... is a repeating decimal.

      Besides, by your logic 5 is an irrational number. Since 5 = 5.000....

      And I don't fail at algebra.
      You do:
      .999~ + .111~ =1
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnius Deus View Post
      Hungrymanz, you just NEED it to be 1 so the universe can exist in a logical, fluid way.
      I don't need anything to be anything, .99.. equals 1 because it does, and not because anyone needs it to. You're posting stupid comments.

      It [the universe] doesn't [exist in a logical way].
      You're right. There is no logic in the universe. Every single logical deduction you've ever made is wrong. Please stop using logic and go join the animals in the wilderness. Logic is not for you. Your universe is not logical, apparently.

      I, and several others, have proved that .99... equals 1. As yet there have been no correct proofs to the contrary.

    14. #89
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      362
      Likes
      122
      Quote Originally Posted by A Roxxor View Post
      Sort of.

      Let's try this, though:

      .9999... != 1, because, actually, it's .3333...(3) that equals one, which means that .3333... != .9999...

      You have been disproved.
      This is like saying that 2 != 6/3 because, actually, it's 4/2.

    15. #90
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      7. .999~ doesn't even look like 1!
      Are you trolling?

      10 doesn't look like 1+2+3+4.
      lolwut?

      How is that rational? A rational can be written as p/q where p and q are both integers.

      How do you write 0.99999... as p/q?
      You're not a mathematician. A few of the people here are.

      It can be written as 1/1.

    16. #91
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Posts
      330
      Likes
      2
      Quote Originally Posted by xXSomeGuyXx View Post
      Lol, we've been at this for pages!

      7. .999~ doesn't even look like 1!
      5*1 + 3*2 - 3*3 != 2

      by your own logic.

    17. #92
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      2,119
      Likes
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post

      I've never heard of density property and Wikipedia has nothing to say about it.
      He's referring to the fact that the reals are constructed from Cauchy sequences of rational numbers, and it's said that the reals are "dense in the rationals" because a real number can be found between every two distinct rational numbers. Ironically, the density of the reals forms the basis of the analysis-based proof that 0.9~ DOES equal 1:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999#Analytic

      Quote Originally Posted by xXSomeGuyXx View Post
      If you took the time (IMPOSSIBILITY AHEAD!!!) to make a graph with every single decimal between 0 and 1 and the graphed y=.999~ and y=0, you would see that they are on different positions. Especially if you made the intervals big enough. Picture it. Please.
      Who said 0.9~ = 0? I don't remember saying that.

    18. #93
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      385
      Quote Originally Posted by arby View Post
      lolwut?

      How is that rational? A rational can be written as p/q where p and q are both integers.

      How do you write 0.99999... as p/q?
      Rational numbers are numbers that, in decimal form, either repeat in a pattern or terminate. 0.999... is rational.

      9/9 is .999... and, unless you're mathematically challenged, equal to 1.
      Exactly

    19. #94
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      If only we had 6 fingers on each hand instead of 5, and had a mathematical system based on the number 12.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    20. #95
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by hungrymanz View Post

      If .999... and 1 are different numbers, then I challenge you to find a number between them. That would effectively prove that they are different numbers.

      I'll sit here untill I do.

      No matter how you try, you wont' find any numbers between them.


      9/9. Surely you know that a number like 45/99 is equal to .45454545... with the 45's repeating. Likewise, 7/9 is .777....

      9/9 is .999... and, unless you're mathematically challenged, equal to 1.

      You are wrong. 9/9 is one. .999~/1 = .999~. Yes you are correct 9/9 equals 1, but 9/9 does not equal .999~.


      .999... is not irrational. An irrational number is a number with a non-repeating, non-terminating decimal. I'm pretty sure .99... is a repeating decimal.

      Who said it wasn't? Really?
      Besides, by your logic 5 is an irrational number. Since 5 = 5.000....


      You do:
      That isn't even close to algebra. That is a numerical expression, not an algebraic expression. ERGO, I do not suck a algebra. Test me. Give me a loong ass algebraic equation and I'll find x for ya.


      I don't need anything to be anything, .99.. equals 1 because it does, and not because anyone needs it to. You're posting stupid comments.

      Oh, because that REALLY makes sense. God exists because he does.
      Mine are in bold.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    21. #96
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Rational numbers are numbers that, in decimal form, either repeat in a pattern or terminate. 0.999... is rational.
      No. They are fractions of whole numbers.

    22. #97
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      0.999~ doesn't terminate.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    23. #98
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      I wish you'd terminate.

    24. #99
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Posts
      330
      Likes
      2
      You are wrong. 9/9 is one. .999~/1 = .999~. Yes you are correct 9/9 equals 1, but 9/9 does not equal .999~.
      SomeGuy you are deliberately trolling.
      1/9 = .11...
      2/9 = .22...
      etc etc
      9/9 = .99...
      9/9 also = 1

      We've shown this dozens of times. For instance 3/9 = 1/3 = .33...
      1/3 * 3 = .33... * 3 = 3/3 = 1 = .99...

      Oh, because that REALLY makes sense. God exists because he does.
      I proved .999... = 1 whereas God has not been proved.

    25. #100
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Okay, okay, okay.

      I believe .999~ is .999~.

      I believe 1 is 1.

      Xei, i don't want you to terminate. Then we can't debate about 1!

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •