• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 530
    Like Tree73Likes

    Thread: Are you afraid of death?

    1. #51
      Drivel's Advocate Xaqaria's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      WhoIsJohnGalt?
      Gender
      Location
      Denver, CO Catchphrase: BullCockie!
      Posts
      5,589
      Likes
      929
      DJ Entries
      9
      What I want to know is, who is afraid of eating shit?

      The ability to happily respond to any adversity is the divine.
      Art
      Dream Journal Shaman Apprentice Chronicles

    2. #52
      Drowning in Dreams Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal
      <span class='glow_8B0000'>Zhaylin</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      LD Count
      c. 6 since join
      Gender
      Location
      Central West Virginia, USA
      Posts
      5,767
      Likes
      4703
      DJ Entries
      199
      UM, lol! I had a similar experience.
      When I lived in Pensacola, FL I was swimming and went too far out, not paying attention.
      I looked under me and I saw a shark. I swam to the shore as fast as my frog paddle would allow- both above water and under somewhat (I swim best completely under water). I was SO terrified. My dad and boyfriend nearly swam out to me thinking I was drowning lol
      In retrospect, I concluded it was most likely a nurse shark that meant me no harm... but I was never very fond of the ocean after that

    3. #53
      Antagonist Invader's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Discordia
      Posts
      3,239
      Likes
      533
      Please bear in mind that "death" and "dying" are two different things.
      Dying is the process.
      Death is what comes after the process of dying is complete.

      I think the pictures posted by UM illustrate a fear of dying due to the pain, not due to the death that comes afterwards.

      Dying can be made painful or painless.
      Death is something we currently no little to nothing about (besides the fact that our bodies are kaput).

      So the title of the thread is asking if you are afraid of the hereafter (or not-hereafter depending on what you do or do not believe in), not about whether you fear the method that gets you there.

    4. #54
      Rifter
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Gender
      Posts
      135
      Likes
      0
      Well invader in that case I still do not fear death nor do I fear dying. For dying, it's utterly pointless to be scared, it WILL happen to everyone. As for what happens after death, who cares? If there is an after life okay awesome! If there is "nothingness" then meh, who gives a crap? You won't care, you won't have thoughts, emotions, or people pissing you off so it's the most peaceful idea ever. I guess you could say I am pretty laid back towards death, I see it as a good thing.

    5. #55
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      I don't think fear of pain is the dominant fear when it comes to those pictures. If Mrs. Bates has a reputation for going straight to the brain with the knife, she is still just as scary, if not scarier. I don't think you even feel a Black Widow bite, but they are still plenty freaky.
      Ah yeah, I know what you mean. Fear is self-created, in the end. And our minds can intensify and create suffering from pain, but we can also ease it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Xaqaria View Post
      What I want to know is, who is afraid of eating shit?
      Well that is pretty disgusting. The main reason one wouldn't want to do that is because "shit" is made up of all the things one wanted to dispose of to begin with, and nothing but that.

    6. #56
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4023
      DJ Entries
      149
      Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
      Please bear in mind that "death" and "dying" are two different things.
      Dying is the process.
      Death is what comes after the process of dying is complete.

      I think the pictures posted by UM illustrate a fear of dying due to the pain, not due to the death that comes afterwards.

      Dying can be made painful or painless.
      Death is something we currently no little to nothing about (besides the fact that our bodies are kaput).
      Exactly.

      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      You said you would run just as fast if you were being chased by a limb mutilator as you would if you were running from a killer. I said that made it sound like you were suggesting that you are equally afraid of the two. Then I said I think you would feel more fear while running from the killler even if you were running just as fast.
      Of course I would be running from the killer. He's got a knife, he's going to hack and slash me to death. I don't want to experience that. I'm afraid of experiencing that. Definitely not the way I want to go. Am I "afraid" of (as Invader said) the hereafter? No.


      Quote Originally Posted by UM
      So, if you were swimming in Florida water and looked down and noticed that school of hammerheads you would just think, "Hmmm, I don't really want to die. Wow, it's a pretty day."? I think you would be thinking, " AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
      Again, getting torn limb from limb by a school of hammerhead sharks is nothing that anybody is going to just welcome - myself included.

      You seem to be missing my point.
      I'm afraid of how I die. Yes. Deathly afraid (no pun intended). But the concept of death doesn't scare me the way that most people that get into existential discussions about it illustrate. The "nothingness" doesn't scare me, and I have no fear of "Hell". Here's another way of putting it:

      I've always said (and I will always say) that when I get to a point where I can't take care of myself (due to an accident or old age), and I have to depend on others to assist me in my most basic functions, I really don't want to live that way. I would welcome a painless death. I'd be ready to go. For many other people, the simple idea of death would have them terrified, and keep them hanging on for as long as was possible. It is that sense of death that I'm not afraid of. Get it over with. Just put me out of my misery.

      That is a stark difference from a school of hammerhead sharks, which are going to eat you alive. I'm terrified of that. I have a pretty heavy fear of open water, for that very reason.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    7. #57
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Zhaylin, welcome to the club. However, I love the ocean way too much to not swim in it, but I do look around for sharks a lot.

      Everybody else, it is not just pain that freaks you out about those pictures. It is your innate fear of death. You aren't simply going, "Woes, Mrs. Bates... that would just hurt." You are thinking, "," because your brain recognizes it as something that would end your life. That mechanism keeps you alive. Without it, you would die. Are you afraid of lethal doses of heroin? If Herschel Walker (world class sprinter and running back) was chasing you with a lethal dose of heroin in a needle with an anaesthetic on the end of it to prevent you from feeling the stick, and you knew all of that, you would still be pissing in your pants, not because of fear of pain, obviously. If you were on an airplane and found out there was an enormous bomb on it, a bomb you would not even have time to feel, you would be petrified. Would you not?

      Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
      I've always said (and I will always say) that when I get to a point where I can't take care of myself (due to an accident or old age), and I have to depend on others to assist me in my most basic functions, I really don't want to live that way. I would welcome a painless death. I'd be ready to go.
      It would still wig you out. I know some people commit suicide, but that is because life freaks them out more than death, not because death does not freak them out.
      Last edited by Universal Mind; 03-10-2009 at 04:49 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    8. #58
      Spi
      Spi is offline
      arcane adventurer Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 1 year registered 1000 Hall Points
      Spi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Rainbow Palace
      Posts
      88
      Likes
      8
      Please bear in mind that "death" and "dying" are two different things.
      Dying is the process.
      Death is what comes after the process of dying is complete.
      THANK YOU!

      Most people are afraid of death because of several reasons. Most of them, because of attachment reasons. When you reach death, you would have the thought of not accomplishing goals or not experiencing what comes in your life. And losing pretty much everything.

      For my goals not being accomplished, bah, whatever!

      The way I see death is that it isn't the end of everything for me. But a fresh start or a new beginning. And to experience the mystery of death. I would say death is just another way of life expressing itself.

      If death is the state when you reach "nothingness" and end up as nothing, then ok. CEASE TO EXIST!!! WOOOOOOHOOOO I don't really care, lol.

      For dying...
      I need to die epically. EPICALLY. Die as a hero, a kind of hero who opens his eyes to everything and risks his life for others and himself!! YEAH!!

      *KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

    9. #59
      Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      4,904
      Likes
      63
      I am not afraid of life ending. I am afraid of the numerous very bad ways I may go out, and I am afraid that my absence on the earth may bring pain or inconvenience or loneliness to my loved ones. Besides that, I don't fear death in the slightest.

      It's like rollercoasters. I was on a rollercoaster the other day and I was MISERABLE. When I got off and my friends were making fun of how scared I am they were like, "It really is scary because it feels like you're falling out and you're going to die!" and I was like "... I wasn't afraid of death, I just can't stand that falling feeling. I was actually kind of hoping I would fly out and die so that I wouldn't have to fall anymore!"

      Same when I went scuba diving. I went down to dive with the sharks, because I was so miserable and seasick on the surface that I felt like if a shark ate me, it would be a relatively cool way to die and I'd no longer be seasick. (I was also too seasick to process how much shark bites would hurt )
      Last edited by Shift; 03-10-2009 at 09:23 PM.

    10. #60
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4023
      DJ Entries
      149
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      Everybody else, it is not just pain that freaks you out about those pictures. It is your innate fear of death. You aren't simply going, "Woes, Mrs. Bates... that would just hurt." You are thinking, "," because your brain recognizes it as something that would end your life. That mechanism keeps you alive. Without it, you would die. Are you afraid of lethal doses of heroin? If Herschel Walker (world class sprinter and running back) was chasing you with a lethal dose of heroin in a needle with an anaesthetic on the end of it to prevent you from feeling the stick, and you knew all of that, you would still be pissing in your pants, not because of fear of pain, obviously. If you were on an airplane and found out there was an enormous bomb on it, a bomb you would not even have time to feel, you would be petrified. Would you not?



      It would still wig you out. I know some people commit suicide, but that is because life freaks them out more than death, not because death does not freak them out.
      I dunno. I guess if your argument hinges on "you have to be afraid of death because you have an innate fear of death," then there's nothing I can say to argue that. I don't want to die, but I don't believe I'm afraid of "death," itself. Maybe I interpret the meaning of the OP differently. Many people are afraid of the state of "death." I don't believe I am. Sure, I am fiercely opposed to this life that I'm enjoying just stopping. Who wouldn't be? If that's the "fear" you want to ascribe it to, then so be it. I've explained plenty of times the "death" I was interpreting the OP as to mean (the nothingness, the void, etc) and I still don't believe I'm afraid of it. I am opposed to it.

      Does a fighter have an innate/unyielding fear of his opponent?

      That is the way I see "death." I oppose it. I will fight it to my last breath, but I'm not afraid of it. What I'm actually afraid of is suffering.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    11. #61
      Drowning in Dreams Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal
      <span class='glow_8B0000'>Zhaylin</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      LD Count
      c. 6 since join
      Gender
      Location
      Central West Virginia, USA
      Posts
      5,767
      Likes
      4703
      DJ Entries
      199
      This thread has made me do a lot of thinking.

      If I was on a plane that was about to crash, I'm pretty sure I would embrace death peacefully.
      If I was falling from the roof of a tall building I would be absolutely terrified.

      Maybe it's fear of perceived pain or suffering that wigs me out most of all.

    12. #62
      Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Victoria B.C. Canada
      Posts
      2,868
      Likes
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      So, if you were swimming in Florida water and looked down and noticed that school of hammerheads you would just think, "Hmmm, I don't really want to die. Wow, it's a pretty day."? I think you would be thinking, " AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
      I once swam in the ocean in Florida, but there was no pack of hammerheads swimming under me, there was only a zillion tropical fish swimming near my balls. I was like "cool".

    13. #63
      Mew Hunter Lucid Warrior's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      LD Count
      28
      Gender
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      151
      Likes
      2
      I think intellectually, I'm not afraid of what will happen to me when I die.
      Instinctually and physically, I am of course very afraid.

    14. #64
      q t pi
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      LD Count
      90009
      Gender
      Location
      Paraguay
      Posts
      1,897
      Likes
      24
      DJ Entries
      5
      I am not afraid, It's just depressing what will happen to my loved ones when I die.
      if you can read this then you are about to be punched

    15. #65
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    16. #66
      q t pi
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      LD Count
      90009
      Gender
      Location
      Paraguay
      Posts
      1,897
      Likes
      24
      DJ Entries
      5
      Spoiler for Image:


      What's that?
      if you can read this then you are about to be punched

    17. #67
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4023
      DJ Entries
      149
      Quote Originally Posted by hellohihello View Post

      What's that?
      Drew Barrymore, back when she was in the movie Firestarter.

      Awesome movie, but I'm not too sure why he keeps posting it.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    18. #68
      ex-redhat ClouD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      4,760
      Likes
      129
      DJ Entries
      1
      may be
      You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.

    19. #69
      q t pi
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      LD Count
      90009
      Gender
      Location
      Paraguay
      Posts
      1,897
      Likes
      24
      DJ Entries
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
      Drew Barrymore, back when she was in the movie Firestarter.

      Awesome movie, but I'm not too sure why he keeps posting it.
      Gotcha, thanks
      if you can read this then you are about to be punched

    20. #70
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
      Awesome movie, but I'm not too sure why he keeps posting it.
      Just a friendly heebee geebees reminder.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    21. #71
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4023
      DJ Entries
      149
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      Just a friendly heebee geebees reminder.
      Heh. Fair enough. I would have to agree that any lil girl that could light my ass on fire with a stray thought would give me the heebee geebees.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    22. #72
      Dreamer/Writer/Reporter Liberty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Austin
      Posts
      151
      Likes
      2
      Nope.

    23. #73
      feel my noodly appendage Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Gender
      Location
      New Zealand
      Posts
      259
      Likes
      173
      DJ Entries
      14
      i'm afraid of dying before the grand finale of LOST.

    24. #74
      Sleeping Dragon juroara's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Gender
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      3,865
      Likes
      1171
      DJ Entries
      144
      im afraid of pain, me weak. I wouldn't want a physically painful death. I don't want my death to be a tragedy. Let me die in my sleep, the way it was meant to be.

      I'm afraid of dying before my parents, most especially. Leaving my sisters and friends behind. I don't want to put anyone through that kind of pain.

      I'm afraid of dying before experiencing that which I want to experience in life. Or that which I'm supposed to experience

      but I think really..im more worried for my parents. Sometimes I like to imagine a bomb kills me and everyone I know this way no one has to suffer seperation. . . yay!

    25. #75
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      People are just afraid because of what they think.

      Is anyone afraid of thoughts?

    Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •