• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 21 of 21
    Like Tree7Likes
    • 1 Post By Solarflare
    • 1 Post By Arra
    • 1 Post By DrunkenArse
    • 3 Post By <span class='glow_FFFFFF'>Maria92</span>
    • 1 Post By Arra

    Thread: Why are you religious? (or not) :p

    1. #1
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67

      Why are you religious? (or not) :p

      I personally think religion is BS and i am athiest..... but i was wondering why YOU are Christian, Muslim, Indian, atheist, agnostic, Buddhist, or whatever :p

      I am atheist because i don't think i should be worshiping something that clearly DOESN'T exist. I think that there's no proof of His existance. Also..... there is pain in the world thus, IF he does exist (which he doesn't) than he'd be a meanie

      So..... I'm just wondering why you ARE what you are when it comes to religion.....

    2. #2
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      +1 for originality?

      Atheist due to no evidence in favor of a creator, and because I tend to see religion as left-over wishful-thinking and irrational speculation about how natural processes occur.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    3. #3
      Miss Sixy <span class='glow_FFFFFF'>Maria92</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Gender
      Location
      Seiren
      Posts
      5,003
      Likes
      1408
      DJ Entries
      82
      When I became a man, I put away childish things.

      So I'm an atheist.

      Click the sig for my Dream Journal
      444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

    4. #4
      I've Returned Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class 10000 Hall Points
      Snowboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Gender
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,205
      Likes
      142
      Agnostic because of some stuff with shared dreams that made me put away those beliefs, but I am still open to the possibility of there being a God. Plus, I don't see what the whole point of being religious is if it doesn't do much more than give you false hopes, emotions, and whatnot.

    5. #5
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Arra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      3,838
      Likes
      3887
      DJ Entries
      50
      Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE976 View Post
      +1 for originality?
      Unoriginal, agreed. If I could think of the most generic post that could be made in this section, this would be it. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is a subject that interests a lot of people.

      As most people will probably reply, I take up the default position as atheist because I haven't seen evidence of any gods. I'd love if there was a god, since immortality is terrifying, so I'm definitely open to believing in a god if I witnessed proper evidence or proof. I would prefer to live forever, even if it was under the rule of an immoral leader like the biblical God, than die. And I think most people to claim to have witnessed evidence, a first-hand encounter with Jesus or something, simply don't realize how capable their brains are of inducing seemingly transcendent feelings.

    6. #6
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67
      Wow..... i heard that like 3% of the world is atheist..... did they all wind up here?????????

      THIS IS AWESOME..... my friends keep on saying that there is physical proof of god on earth like some stupid stone in Saudi Arabia that turns black when you touch it >.>

      Bt if that were real i would know about it!

      And then they put over other dumb arguments...... and then just call me stupid when they don't have any comebacks ^_^

      God is not natural..... It's a manmade this made outta ceramic and stone
      Snowboy likes this.

    7. #7
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Arra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      3,838
      Likes
      3887
      DJ Entries
      50
      Quote Originally Posted by gameoverlord345 View Post
      Wow..... i heard that like 3% of the world is atheist..... did they all wind up here?????????
      There are theists on this site, I imagine you'll get replies from some of them eventually.

      But most people on this site are young, and young people tend to lean more toward atheism. Also, lucid dreamers are probably more likely to be atheist. If someone has the independence and willingness to pursue something that society in general doesn't that it requires to take on lucid dreaming, they're probably more likely to think for themselves and become atheist. That's just my guess, I don't know. Also, I think the number is a bit higher than 3%, but I'm not sure.

    8. #8
      Miss Sixy <span class='glow_FFFFFF'>Maria92</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Gender
      Location
      Seiren
      Posts
      5,003
      Likes
      1408
      DJ Entries
      82

      Click the sig for my Dream Journal
      444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

    9. #9
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      Quote Originally Posted by Dianeva View Post
      Also, I think the number is a bit higher than 3%, but I'm not sure.
      He's wrong, but only by .5%.
      Wikipedia: Furthermore, atheists may not report themselves as such, to prevent suffering from social stigma, discrimination, and persecution in some countries,[citation needed] or, in cases where the situation is reversed, religious people may keep their beliefs secret in pro-atheist societies.[1] Despite these problems, one study classified 2.5% of the world's population as atheists, and a separate 12.7% as non-religious.[2]
      The citation has more information.

      Edit - Damnit, Mario.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    10. #10
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      386
      I am atheist because it makes sense to be so.

    11. #11
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Arra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      3,838
      Likes
      3887
      DJ Entries
      50
      Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE976 View Post
      one study classified 2.5% of the world's population as atheists, and a separate 12.7% as non-religious
      That makes sense while considering that a lot of religious people are technically, officially part of a religion, but they don't really believe in it or think about it much. They might believe it, but only because they haven't thought about it, they don't take it too seriously, it isn't a big part of their lives. They wouldn't label themselves 'atheists', but they might label themselves 'non-religious' because they aren't religious.
      Alric likes this.

    12. #12
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1092
      I'm a Christian because I got really stoned and lost my faculty for rational thought. Tomorrow, I'll probably come back to my senses and be an atheist again. But for the time being, I thought this thread needed some love and representation from the oppressed religious minority.

      Don't believe those "demographics" that got posted earlier. They're just a production of the evil scientist, atheist, alien, jewish, white, muslim, black, liberal media, multinational, conservative media conspiracy. Us GOD loving Christians are a persecuted minority.

      People only believe in atheism and Islam because of the devil.
      GavinGill likes this.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    13. #13
      Miss Sixy <span class='glow_FFFFFF'>Maria92</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Gender
      Location
      Seiren
      Posts
      5,003
      Likes
      1408
      DJ Entries
      82

      Click the sig for my Dream Journal
      444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

    14. #14
      I've Returned Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran Second Class 10000 Hall Points
      Snowboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Gender
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      1,205
      Likes
      142
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      I'm a Christian because I got really stoned and lost my faculty for rational thought. Tomorrow, I'll probably come back to my senses and be an atheist again. But for the time being, I thought this thread needed some love and representation from the oppressed religious minority.

      Don't believe those "demographics" that got posted earlier. They're just a production of the evil scientist, atheist, alien, jewish, white, muslim, black, liberal media, multinational, conservative media conspiracy. Us GOD loving Christians are a persecuted minority.

      People only believe in atheism and Islam because of the devil.
      You really were stoned... that sounds like a bunch of religious crap to me.

    15. #15
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Arra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      3,838
      Likes
      3887
      DJ Entries
      50
      Quote Originally Posted by Mario92 View Post
      that is great

    16. #16
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      People only believe in atheism and Islam because of the devil.
      That's not true, People are atheist because they don't BELIEVE in God OR the Devil..... NOT ONLY DO THEY NOT BELIEVE IN THEM...... They do not think they exist due to logic or the fact that they have realized the truth to life..... that we are NOT being controlled by God

      But that's just me

    17. #17
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Arra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      3,838
      Likes
      3887
      DJ Entries
      50
      Quote Originally Posted by gameoverlord345 View Post
      That's not true, People are atheist because they don't BELIEVE in God OR the Devil..... NOT ONLY DO THEY NOT BELIEVE IN THEM...... They do not think they exist due to logic or the fact that they have realized the truth to life..... that we are NOT being controlled by God

      But that's just me
      He was joking, I'm sure he's an atheist. (Or are you just joking about not getting the joke?)
      PhilosopherStoned likes this.

    18. #18
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2004
      Posts
      5,165
      Likes
      711
      Quote Originally Posted by Dianeva View Post
      That makes sense while considering that a lot of religious people are technically, officially part of a religion, but they don't really believe in it or think about it much. They might believe it, but only because they haven't thought about it, they don't take it too seriously, it isn't a big part of their lives. They wouldn't label themselves 'atheists', but they might label themselves 'non-religious' because they aren't religious.
      I remember when doing some research of Japan, I would find most people would say that everyone in the country is religious yet not religious at the same time. In their everyday life they were not religious at all, but in holidays, and on special circumstances(like weddings or funerals) suddenly they became religious. You know, it is the same way in the US. People are nonreligious 90% of the year, but become religious during weddings, holidays and stuff like that. If you don't count wishy washy people who are only religious during holidays, the number of religious people in the US is probably closer to 30-40%. Still a fairly big group but nothing like what statistics may show.

    19. #19
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67
      Quote Originally Posted by Dianeva View Post
      He was joking, I'm sure he's an atheist. (Or are you just joking about not getting the joke?)
      I'm joking about not getting the joke???????? >.> <.< >.< <.>

    20. #20
      Oneironaut Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      ThePreserver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      1,428
      Likes
      1047
      It's not in a "believing in a physical God" sense, rather a "connectivity of the universe" sense. My religion is one of practicality... instead of praying for forgiveness, ask he who you have wronged. Instead of praying for the starving to have food, help them out yourself! Active practicing of "religious" beliefs.

    21. #21
      The Fake Doctor Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class
      Klikko's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      LD Count
      Gender
      Location
      Herning
      Posts
      142
      Likes
      26
      DJ Entries
      18
      Why to be religious? To have a hope of paradise. To have someone to blame when you're having a bad time. To have a purpose?
      Slip inside my head
      Watch how my dreams unfold, watch my fantasy in work
      Watch the beauty, watch the details. Isn't it amazing?
      I love you, and I welcome you into my world
      If you are lucky, there will be music playing.

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 30
      Last Post: 07-24-2010, 03:57 AM
    2. Looking for Religious Texts
      By ExoByte in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 08-09-2009, 02:09 PM
    3. Religious wedding, ugh
      By Needcatscan in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: 06-09-2009, 05:21 AM
    4. Question for those who are religious.
      By Unelias in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 34
      Last Post: 01-15-2009, 07:15 AM
    5. How religious are you?
      By Pelirrojo in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 05-31-2006, 09:06 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •