• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 125
    Like Tree133Likes

    Thread: A (moral) question for Atheists

    1. #1
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      74
      Likes
      11

      Question A (moral) question for Atheists

      Scenario:

      You are on a deserted island where there is no police, no law, and no consequences for your actions. There is also a helpless man who is tied up.

      Question:

      What is stopping you from abusing this man?

    2. #2
      Lucid Shaman mcwillis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Posts
      1,470
      Likes
      458
      DJ Entries
      3
      I would initially be concerned about who tied him up. Then I would be concerned as to why the helpless man is tied up. I would feed and water him. Then that night I would use a secret occult technique that can only be performed during a lucid dream to interrogate the helpless man to find out the truth about him to make my decision as to whether it would be safe to let him free or not. Either way, free or tied up, I would have no desire to abuse him.
      OldNutter and The Sandman like this.

      Please click on the links below, more techniques under investigation to come soon...


    3. #3
      ... Michael's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Who counts?
      Gender
      Location
      Invisible Society
      Posts
      1,276
      Likes
      76
      why does being atheist in this situation matter? even if you believe in god, that doesn't mean you automatically believe you will be punished greatly for any wrong doings. And history proves even belief in hell or divine punishment doesn't stop anyone from hurting others.

      I'm not atheist, but empathy would be what stops me.
      DreiHundert likes this.

    4. #4
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      What kind of weird question is this?

      Why is it directed only at atheists?

      Abuse him how, and for what reason?

      You're not very good at setting up hypothetical situations. I don't see anything moral about it - you're basically just asking atheists if they're psychotic sadists.

      Is this directed only at people who admit they're atheists, or also at people who pay lip service to religions without actually believing?

    5. #5
      Wololo Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Supernova's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      LD Count
      Gender
      Location
      Spiral out, keep going.
      Posts
      2,909
      Likes
      906
      DJ Entries
      10
      Actually, to be honest, the idea that "immoral" acts shouldn't be carried out because one will be punished for them or because they violate an external set of rules is the weakest idea of morality I can think of. While you're trying to frame yourself as being more morally grounded than someone without such imposed values, you're really only proving the opposite, because simply to suggest that an atheist would lack moral guidance is to suggest that you believe in no such thing as simple empathy.
      Last edited by Supernova; 07-18-2012 at 12:50 AM.
      Marvo, StonedApe, niteLite and 7 others like this.

    6. #6
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      74
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      What kind of weird question is this?
      A very good one.

      Why is it directed only at atheists?
      Because if you eliminate God, the government, and the police, then there is nothing stopping this atheist from going ahead and abusing this man. Knowing he won't get caught, knowing he won't answer for his wrongdoings, and knowing there are absolutely no consequences for his actions, there is nothing to stop him.

      Abuse him how, and for what reason?
      I am talking about all kinds of abuse, both psychological (taunting) as well as physical (torture).

      You're not very good at setting up hypothetical situations. I don't see anything moral about it - you're basically just asking atheists if they're psychotic sadists.

      Is this directed only at people who admit they're atheists, or also at people who pay lip service to religions without actually believing?
      It is directed only at atheists.

    7. #7
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      74
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
      This is pretty sad.
      What's sad is that you can't answer the question. The correct answer to my question would be "nothing."

      If I were an atheist, there would be nothing to stop me from having a little fun. If I know that I won't be punished, why not abuse him?

      Punch punch...
      Kick kick...
      Cut cut...


    8. #8
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Ok, so then you do believe all atheists are psychotic sadists.

      You say it is directed only at atheists - I ask again, do you mean only admitted atheists, or does it include the millions upon millions who really are atheists but claim not to be?

      Also, are you saying that religious people don't harm other people? What if you're a good Christian and you knew this tied-up guy had done something unforgiveable, like raped and murdered your mom, or worked on the sabbath? Or say you're a good Allah-fearing Muslim and the tied-up guy was a heretic or infidel?

    9. #9
      Wololo Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Supernova's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      LD Count
      Gender
      Location
      Spiral out, keep going.
      Posts
      2,909
      Likes
      906
      DJ Entries
      10
      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post
      What's sad is that you can't answer the question. The correct answer to my question would be "nothing."

      If I were an atheist, there would be nothing to stop me from having a little fun. If I know that I won't be punished, why not abuse him?

      Punch punch...
      Kick kick...
      Cut cut...

      My bad for leaving that edit open so long, please reread that though. Apparently you DON'T believe in simple empathy, which is disappointing.

    10. #10
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      74
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
      My bad for leaving that edit open so long, please reread that though. Apparently you DON'T believe in simple empathy, which is disappointing.
      I have re-read it, but it isn't good enough. Empathy alone isn't a strong emotion in many cases, and it isn't found in alot of people, at least not much of it!

      Empathy can also diminish if you are faced with a scenario such as the one I described. When you choose between pleasure and empathy, most people will choose pleasure.

      The point of the thread is, where do atheists get their morals from?

    11. #11
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post

      Punch punch...
      Kick kick...
      Cut cut...

      ... And how long have you been harboring these sick fantasies... ?




      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post
      Empathy can also diminish if you are faced with a scenario such as the one I described. When you choose between pleasure and empathy, most people will choose pleasure.


      Wait - so, you think it would be pleasurable to abuse a poor tied-up man, and the only reason you wouldn't is because you fear going to hell?

    12. #12
      Wololo Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Supernova's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      LD Count
      Gender
      Location
      Spiral out, keep going.
      Posts
      2,909
      Likes
      906
      DJ Entries
      10
      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post
      I have re-read it, but it isn't good enough. Empathy alone isn't a strong emotion in many cases, and it isn't found in alot of people, at least not much of it!

      Empathy can also diminish if you are faced with a scenario such as the one I described. When you choose between pleasure and empathy, most people will choose pleasure.

      The point of the thread is, where do atheists get their morals from?
      Yeah, pleasure....problem with that is, as several people have pointed out to you already, the only people who derive pleasure from abusing others are violent sociopaths.

    13. #13
      ... Michael's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Who counts?
      Gender
      Location
      Invisible Society
      Posts
      1,276
      Likes
      76
      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post
      I have re-read it, but it isn't good enough. Empathy alone isn't a strong emotion in many cases, and it isn't found in alot of people, at least not much of it!

      Empathy can also diminish if you are faced with a scenario such as the one I described. When you choose between pleasure and empathy, most people will choose pleasure.

      The point of the thread is, where do atheists get their morals from?
      Why would "most people" harm an innocent person tied up.... rather than helping them? You think it's because of their belief in god??? Only sick people would harm the person... and belief in god is irrelevant.

      You think morals come from religion.... but they come from tradition and feelings. The morals of certain religions stem from peoples' feelings... once again... belief in god is irrelevant.

      everyone gets their morals the same way... different experiences... but same basic way....
      Last edited by Michael; 07-18-2012 at 01:02 AM.

    14. #14
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      74
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      Wait - so, you think it would be pleasurable to abuse a poor tied-up man, and the only reason you wouldn't is because you fear going to hell?
      I am saying that there is no way I would do it.

    15. #15
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      74
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
      Why would "most people" harm an innocent person tied up.... rather than helping them? You think it's because of their belief in god??? Only sick people would harm the person... and belief in god is irrelevant.

      You think morals come from religion.... but they come from tradition and feelings. The morals of certain religions stem from peoples' feelings... once again... belief in god is irrelevant.
      Oh, really? No way, Jose. Tell me why it would be wrong to kill this man.

      Where/what is your guidance? Empathy isn't good enough.

    16. #16
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Ok, looking at Fechtel's other posts, it's clear this is a twisted religious fanatic - possibly another Mayflow alt.

      I'm done wasting my time here.

    17. #17
      ... Michael's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Who counts?
      Gender
      Location
      Invisible Society
      Posts
      1,276
      Likes
      76
      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post
      Oh, really? No way, Jose. Tell me why it would be wrong to kill this man.

      Where/what is your guidance? Empathy isn't good enough.
      I tried. You are stubborn... not willing to learn... and dumb.

    18. #18
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      74
      Likes
      11
      I am not saying that every single atheist would torture this man, but what I am saying is that those who DO have such tendencies wouldn't have anything to stop them, because of their disbelief in God. They would fear no consequences, because there are none! Perhaps I was misunderstood.

    19. #19
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Yeah 'cause - no atrocities were ever committed by religious people, right? Or, like, commanded by God or anything?

    20. #20
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      74
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      Yeah 'cause - no atrocities were ever committed by religious people, right? Or, like, commanded by God or anything?
      People commanded by God? No.

      There are people who think they are commanded by God to kill, like the Muslims for example.

      You also need to make a distinction between true Christians and counterfeit Christians (like Hitler).

    21. #21
      Wololo Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Supernova's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      LD Count
      Gender
      Location
      Spiral out, keep going.
      Posts
      2,909
      Likes
      906
      DJ Entries
      10
      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post
      Empathy isn't good enough.
      And who the fuck are you to decide that? And weather or not it's good enough for YOU is irrelevant.

      And in the way you mean it here, saying that is like asking someone for their opinion and then saying "no. you're wrong. Because I said so".

    22. #22
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      God commanded all kinds of genocides in the Bible. He commanded that people be stoned to death for all kinds of trivial reasons. Like working on the Sabbath for instance. Plus there were the Crusades.

      "You also need to make a distinction between true Christians and counterfeit Christians (like Hitler)."

      Ah ok, so then you do admit that many self-professed Christians actually are false? Good to know. So your question is aimed at all atheists then. No telling how many there are - most people claim some religious affiliation just for social reasons or because it's how they were brought up.
      Last edited by Darkmatters; 07-18-2012 at 01:22 AM.

    23. #23
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      74
      Likes
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      God commanded all kinds of genocides in the Bible. He commanded that people be stoned to death for all kinds of trivial reasons. Like working on the Sabbath for instance.
      Old Testament stuff, not applicable today at all.

      Plus there were the Crusades.
      The crusades were NOT commanded by God!

      Ah ok, so then you do admit that many self-professed Christians actually are false? Good to know.
      I have no problem with that. Even many preachers are counterfeit Christians. Examples: Joel Osteen, Robert Schuller, etc.

      So your question is aimed at all atheists then. No telling how many there are - most people claim some religious affiliation just for social reasons or because it's how they were brought up.
      I am religious because I truly believe. Not because I want to belong to some group.

    24. #24
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post
      Old Testament stuff, not applicable today at all.
      Oh really? Well that's interesting. So parts of the Bible are not applicable. How do you know which parts to ignore? And your own judgement isn't good enough (if empathy isn't good enough) - it needs to be specifically stated somewhere in the Bible itself.

      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post
      The crusades were NOT commanded by God!
      I didn't say they were - I said God himself decreed some murders and genocides, and that other atrocities were committed by religious fanatics in the name of their god. It's a known fact that the moralistic certainties of religion tends to attract a lot of mentally abberrant people - many of whom are violent or sadistic. I'm not saying all religious people are like this of course - people are people, there are all different types in religion as well as outside of it. But there's a fringe element of crazies who are powerfully attracted to religion. They get themselves all fired up on righteous indignation and believe they have been chosen by God to be his scourge. So - seems like religion is no more a hedge against immorality than atheism, hmmmn?

      Quote Originally Posted by Fechtel View Post
      I have no problem with that. Even many preachers are counterfeit Christians. Examples: Joel Osteen, Robert Schuller, etc.
      Yes, and all the Catholic priests diddling children - again, it seems fear of God doesn't really stop people from abusing others, does it?

    25. #25
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      I get really tired of this "can't be good without God" nonsense.





      Darkmatters and TimeDragon97 like this.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. A Question to all Atheists on Dreamviews
      By Melisa in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 46
      Last Post: 07-09-2011, 04:52 AM
    2. Question for Atheists.
      By sora12 in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 461
      Last Post: 12-07-2010, 11:14 AM
    3. Just a question for the atheists
      By NeoSioType in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 77
      Last Post: 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM
    4. any moral support? =[
      By drmrgrl in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 28
      Last Post: 03-14-2008, 06:10 AM
    5. To Atheists, Question For You.
      By blade5x in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 43
      Last Post: 03-19-2007, 05:39 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •