• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 33
    Like Tree27Likes

    Thread: Do you believe in anything supernatural?

    1. #1
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      MrBlonde's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      LD Count
      None
      Posts
      594
      Likes
      60
      DJ Entries
      11

      Do you believe in anything supernatural?

      Do you believe in anything that could be considered supernatural? Or do you think it's a all natural world.

    2. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      LD Count
      15
      Gender
      Location
      christchurch
      Posts
      12
      Likes
      1
      no or atleast i dont think so i might change my mide when im older lol

    3. #3
      Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      LD Count
      Counts fingers
      Gender
      Location
      Austin
      Posts
      4,118
      Likes
      4859
      DJ Entries
      111
      Quote Originally Posted by UcouldBdreaming View Post
      no or atleast i dont think so i might change my mide when im older lol
      How old are you now?


      I believed a few things when I was a kid...but I was pretty certain that most of the things I encountered or felt could be explained.

      I often found myself talking to God...sometimes I still do. I think I did it more when I was scared or feeling alone.

      I don't believe in ghosts though I acknowledge that I can not explain many things.

    4. #4
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      I saw a ghost once. Not even a shadow person but a full blown apparition directly in front of me. I could control my ability to see them, too. If I focus on the objects behind them, they would fade. If I let my vision rest, they would re-emerge. I still neither believe nor disbelieve in anything paranormal and I don't know what the word supernatural is supposed to mean. Transcendental? Non-causal?

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    5. #5
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      No. I doubt I'd be able to comprehend the concept of something supernatural either.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    6. #6
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      <s><span class='glow_9ACD32'>DeletePlease</span></s>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Posts
      2,685
      Likes
      2883
      DJ Entries
      12
      Sort of. I believe in chi/ki/whatever you want to call it. Except I don't think it's some sort of mystical force like the Chinese do; I think it's just your mind allocating resources (for lack of a better term), "powering down" certain parts of the body and concentrating on one specific part. Hopefully that makes sense.

      I also think there's a possibility a North American primate (or "Sasquath") might exist, but I guess that isn't exactly supernatural.

    7. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2004
      Posts
      5,165
      Likes
      709
      I don't believe in the supernatural at all. To me, supernatural just means fake. Everything in the world is natural. People claim things are supernatural as a cop out to avoid trying to explain something.
      Dianeva and KingVincent like this.

    8. #8
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Arra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      3,838
      Likes
      3886
      DJ Entries
      50
      No, not at all. I care about the truth. I find most people who believe in supernatural things either don't care about the truth and prefer to believe things that sound cool, or are just really bad at determining what the truth is.

    9. #9
      Sleeping Dragon juroara's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Gender
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      3,865
      Likes
      1171
      DJ Entries
      144
      I believe in a lot of things that others call supernatural. But i dont think its supernatural, I just believe we haven't understood yet where it fits in the natural world.

    10. #10
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Dianeva View Post
      No, not at all. I care about the truth. I find most people who believe in supernatural things either don't care about the truth and prefer to believe things that sound cool, or are just really bad at determining what the truth is.
      I don't think it's possible to determine what truth is. I would say disregarding the possibility of things which are erroneously labeled "supernatural" makes one more likely to be wrong than if you remain open minded. Granted this goes back to the thread in philosophy about belief. Like I said in this thread, even though I have "evidence" of the paranormal I still don't actually believe in anything. But I also don't hold anything that comes out of a scholarly textbook to be "true." Words are not true, they are translations. Statements are not true, though they may agree with the parameters of the statement. For instance 2+2=4 is a math statement which agrees with the logical parameters set for the language of math. Mathematical equations can either agree or disagree with these parameters, but truth remains something separate.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    11. #11
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Arra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      3,838
      Likes
      3886
      DJ Entries
      50
      Quote Originally Posted by Original Poster View Post
      I don't think it's possible to determine what truth is.
      You mean for certain? If so I agree. But we can sometimes determine what the truth likely is or in some cases almost certainly is.

      Quote Originally Posted by Original Poster View Post
      I would say disregarding the possibility of things which are erroneously labeled "supernatural" makes one more likely to be wrong than if you remain open minded. Granted this goes back to the thread in philosophy about belief. Like I said in this thread, even though I have "evidence" of the paranormal I still don't actually believe in anything.
      I agree with this too. Like you I'm only saying I don't believe it, not that I'm not open to the possibility. I just think there comes a point at which something (like telepathy) is so improbable that we might as well just treat it as impossible until some really amazing evidence comes forth.

      Quote Originally Posted by Original Poster View Post
      I also don't hold anything that comes out of a scholarly textbook to be "true." Words are not true, they are translations. Statements are not true, though they may agree with the parameters of the statement. For instance 2+2=4 is a math statement which agrees with the logical parameters set for the language of math. Mathematical equations can either agree or disagree with these parameters, but truth remains something separate.
      I'm not sure why you think this is relevant. Words written on a page can be either true or false. I mean of course if the language it's expressed in is unknown, it won't make sense and won't mean anything. It's true that the text, ink, etc. is physical and meaningless on its own. But when we say those words are 'true' we're assuming that a person has read it and has correctly comprehended what the writer was trying to express, and that the idea is true.

    12. #12
      My Stunt Double Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Carrot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      LD Count
      30+
      Gender
      Posts
      3,015
      Likes
      3662
      DJ Entries
      70
      It's hard not to because there are so many unexplainable things in the world.
      Woodstock likes this.

    13. #13
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      Quote Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
      It's hard not to because there are so many unexplainable things in the world.
      Unexplainable =/= supernatural.

      Yay logic.
      ixsetf and StonedApe like this.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    14. #14
      Banned
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      1,590
      Likes
      521
      "Supernatural" is a self-refuting concept. It's literally meaningless, since describing any "supernatural" event must always lead back to appeals to the natural. Why? Because supernatural events are detected by people, and people are natural. Therefore, anything they can detect, regardless of the cause, must also be natural. Even hallucinations are natural because they involve real changes in neuron firing patterns.

      So if you say, for example, that ghosts exist, and they're not hallucinations, then you will eventually have to cite physical evidence. But physical evidence is natural! Therefore ghosts are a natural hypothesis!

    15. #15
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2004
      Posts
      5,165
      Likes
      709
      Of course, and that is why supernatural stuff never exist. People appeal to supernatural things as a final grasp to explain something existing when all natural means fail. The moment you call something supernatural you have given up all hope of explaining what it really was.

    16. #16
      My Stunt Double Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Carrot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      LD Count
      30+
      Gender
      Posts
      3,015
      Likes
      3662
      DJ Entries
      70
      Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE976 View Post
      Unexplainable =/= supernatural.

      Yay logic.
      Of course the unexplainable isn't supernatural.

      But try explain something unexplainable without using any supernatural terms.
      Woodstock likes this.

    17. #17
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      dutchraptor's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Gender
      Location
      Tranquility
      Posts
      2,913
      Likes
      3041
      DJ Entries
      6
      I think a better word would have been esoteric (correct me if I'm worng) or paranormal than supernatural. The problem is that there is no true agreement on the meaning of natural or it's limits. Unlike the word paranormal which implies that it falls out of our understanding of normal (normal is subjective as it is based on our observations allowing for modifications to be made), supernatural would suggest that it falls outside what is natural (Objective, the laws of the unniverse) meaning that no explanation can be given ever which should never be assumed from a scientific standpoint.
      I hope I phrased this right, i'm kinda tired.

      As for the question, I believe that telepathy might exist, like original poster I like to keep my choices open and believe that it is neither true or false.

    18. #18
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      Quote Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
      Of course the unexplainable isn't supernatural.

      But try explain something unexplainable without using any supernatural terms.
      Try explaining something unexplainable using ANY terms. That's sort of what "unexplainable" means.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    19. #19
      Banned
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      1,590
      Likes
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by dutchraptor View Post
      I think a better word would have been esoteric (correct me if I'm worng) or paranormal than supernatural. The problem is that there is no true agreement on the meaning of natural or it's limits. Unlike the word paranormal which implies that it falls out of our understanding of normal (normal is subjective as it is based on our observations allowing for modifications to be made), supernatural would suggest that it falls outside what is natural (Objective, the laws of the unniverse) meaning that no explanation can be given ever which should never be assumed from a scientific standpoint.
      I hope I phrased this right, i'm kinda tired.

      As for the question, I believe that telepathy might exist, like original poster I like to keep my choices open and believe that it is neither true or false.
      In that case, I must fall back to the scientific method, and thus far no good science has been done to verify any paranormal hypotheses as stated by their adherents (although some things have been explained in other ways, such as alien abductions being sleep paralysis events). As for telepathy, I don't think it exists but humans might just go ahead and make it real using BCIs and whatnot.

    20. #20
      Lurker Send's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      4
      Likes
      2
      DJ Entries
      2
      Of course I do.
      At least in Spirit Guides - one of them proved that he's real. Many times. Which is awesome, 'cause I don't have to worry about death. Well, I wasn't worried earlier, but... in any case, I know it. XD
      Don't need anything more.

    21. #21
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      2,503
      Likes
      217
      Quote Originally Posted by Send View Post
      Of course I do.
      At least in Spirit Guides - one of them proved that he's real. Many times.
      Describe plz.

    22. #22
      ... Michael's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Who counts?
      Gender
      Location
      Invisible Society
      Posts
      1,276
      Likes
      76
      Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
      Do you believe in anything that could be considered supernatural? Or do you think it's a all natural world.
      it's all natural. there are things we (most people) still do not know about, and they could be considered supernatural... since we (most people) don't know anything/much about them. but it's all natural after you understand.
      dutchraptor likes this.

    23. #23
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class Created Dream Journal Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      BobbyLance's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      LD Count
      ~200
      Posts
      1,089
      Likes
      658
      DJ Entries
      29
      I believe everything in the universe is natural. Most people only label things paranormal/supernatural if it has no solid explanation. Ghosts, miracles, telekinesis, etc. at some point of time, man will have the needed knowledge and technology to explain these "paranormal" things.
      Known as Weakamon

    24. #24
      Member Woodstock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      680
      Likes
      599
      DJ Entries
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
      Do you believe in anything that could be considered supernatural? Or do you think it's a all natural world.
      Like everyone else has already said, anything "supernatural" is still natural. Psychic powers, aliens, ghosts, spirits, etc. aren't supernatural if they're real, that would make them natural. Do I believe in anything that could be considered supernatural? Yes. I do believe that shared dreams and mind communication (sounds better than "psychic") are real, but not because someone on the internet says they are. I believe it because of my own experiences. No one else should believe any of it exists just because I say I experienced it, but they shouldn't say it's all fake just because they haven't had any experience. I doubted (but hoped) it was real until the IOSDP's Lucid Daydreaming experiment.

    25. #25
      Existential Hero Achievements:
      25000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Huge Dream Journal Populated Wall Veteran First Class Referrer Gold
      <span class='glow_008000'>Linkzelda</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      LD Count
      210+
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,723
      Likes
      8612
      DJ Entries
      637
      Quote Originally Posted by Replicon
      Describe plz.
      People who believe in spirit guides, it's really just something personal that can't be explained properly because there's so many associations with them. The only example one could use (but it still doesn't provide actual evidence of course) is:

      Spirit guides are essentially what a person assumes to be a higher being, whether it's their higher self, or someone emitting high frequencies that the person who's seeking them has to be a match of to align to their presence. Some people think it's really just you in a higher sense, a missing part of your brain that you've been trying to connect to all long (being noted important reminders, how to handle incoming situations and challenges in your life, etc.)

      ---

      When it comes to just that person's point of view, if they make those phenomena static in their reality (spirit guides and such), and really believe they are real, the mind will shift according to their desires, if they really want them to be present in their perception. Now how can one prove that? It's improbable.

      ---

      One could argue the same for tulpa. Even though you can't really provide physical evidence (since it's really in terms of a person's perception), you can only go by anecdotes of people's success stories with tulpaforcing/tulpaforging a thought form into their reality.

      Then people who aren't informed on what tulpa really is start assuming it's out beings you're inviting to control your mind, or to nest inside of it. Which is completely absurd, since it's really a part of you as a whole, and you're just extending an aspect of yourself to become a reality based on how much faith you put into it.

      ---

      But other than that, spirit guides, tulpa, etc., are going to be sustained through anecdotes, and it's just one of those things where you have to let someone live whatever reality they want to, until some big discovery that can repeatedly prove those events to be tangible in all people's reality.

      That would be a difficult task, especially with mental filtering and all that fun stuff.

      ---

      I just think that anything that doesn't really fit the norm of practice in society is based on how everyone aligns themselves mentally to perceiving whatever it is that is intangible is because they're just blocking it off from their reality.

      ---

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Possible supernatural encounter, please help?
      By AnthonyDavid in forum Nightmares and Recurring Dreams
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 12-15-2012, 05:11 AM
    2. Supernatural
      By NeAvO in forum Entertainment
      Replies: 48
      Last Post: 09-30-2010, 04:11 AM
    3. SuperNatural?
      By MrBlonde in forum Entertainment
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 09-28-2010, 09:36 PM
    4. Supernatural?
      By Tyler in forum Beyond Dreaming
      Replies: 36
      Last Post: 11-26-2008, 07:42 PM
    5. Supernatural . . .
      By Jin in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 42
      Last Post: 08-06-2004, 08:49 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •