• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 15 of 15

    Thread: Reincarnation

    1. #1
      Member Belisarius's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2004
      Posts
      678
      Likes
      0

      Lightbulb Reincarnation

      Riding the greyhound back to school gave me alot of time to think, so this is my hypothesis about reincarnation:

      Reincarnation is real, but it doesn't follow an objective timescale. What this means is that when you die you could be reborn as anyone at any time in history or in the future. This would solve the "new souls" problem , or maybe over time there is only one consciousness being born and reborn into everyone who ever lived and ever will live. This means that everyone you meet is a past life or future incarnation of yourself. So anything we do to others we are really doing to ourselves, justifying the golden rule.
      Super profundo on the early eve of your day

    2. #2
      Be NOW Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      NonDualistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Quad Cities , Illinois USA
      Posts
      987
      Likes
      80
      DJ Entries
      21
      Great insight.

      At the moment I am starting to percieve that consciousness itself has different aspects, or different layers to it. At least this is how I choose to describe it now from my experiences and observations.

    3. #3
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      The Weak and the Wounded
      Posts
      4,925
      Likes
      485
      So what are your reasons for youre belief in reincarnation?

      I'm curious. I understand how it can work like this.. but why should it be anymore true than "heaven and hell"?

    4. #4
      Il Buoиo Siиdяed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Location
      иowheяe
      Posts
      3,846
      Likes
      390
      Have you any reasoning to support your argument?

      I'd be interested in an expansion of this 'new souls problem', it isn't something I've come across.

    5. #5
      Member Belisarius's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2004
      Posts
      678
      Likes
      0
      I'm not actually saying I have any reason to believe this. Obviously we can't know what happens after death, but it is fun to think about sometimes.

      As for the new souls problem, the Earth's population has grown exponentially over the past few centuries, if reincarnation is true, then where do all of the new souls come from?
      Super profundo on the early eve of your day

    6. #6
      The Wondering Gnome Achievements:
      1 year registered Referrer Silver Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      thegnome54's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Sector ZZ 9 Plural Z Alpha
      Posts
      1,534
      Likes
      21
      Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
      Earth's population has grown exponentially over the past few centuries, if reincarnation is true, then where do all of the new souls come from?
      Honestly, the obvious and not-grasping-at-straws answer to that question is that reincarnation is not true.

      Why go to such great lengths to try to bend reality to fit these concepts? It's a little ridiculous, really.

    7. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      20
      why do people think that when you are reincarnated you have to come back to earth? Couldnt you go to a completely different planet with differnet beings? Has no one thought about this?
      ld's since joining....28
      dreams are real while they last, what more can be said about life??
      Adopted: SuperDuck

    8. #8
      The Wondering Gnome Achievements:
      1 year registered Referrer Silver Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      thegnome54's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Sector ZZ 9 Plural Z Alpha
      Posts
      1,534
      Likes
      21
      Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
      why do people think that when you are reincarnated you have to come back to earth? Couldnt you go to a completely different planet with differnet beings? Has no one thought about this?
      Why do people think you get reincarnated at all?!

      I mean, have you considered that maybe we're all really aliens who will be reincarnated as toasters and spend our next lives in someone's kitchen? It's pointless to make such random, baseless speculation. You can say whatever you want and nothing has any more evidence than anything else.

      The best solution is to adopt the model which assumes the least things possible and still makes the same amount of useful predictions as the more 'imaginative' models.

    9. #9
      Member Belisarius's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2004
      Posts
      678
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      The best solution is to adopt the model which assumes the least things possible and still makes the same amount of useful predictions as the more 'imaginative' models.
      Why is that model any better? If we don't have evidence either way I'd rather consider a model that gives our lives a little more significance.
      Super profundo on the early eve of your day

    10. #10
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      20
      I never said i believed in it........i just said what i said
      Why do you make the assumption i believed in it? Just because you assumed it since i replied in this thread??
      Thats like assuming because of faith right? I thought you werent supposed to believe in something just because of faith in your words????
      ld's since joining....28
      dreams are real while they last, what more can be said about life??
      Adopted: SuperDuck

    11. #11
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2
      Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius View Post
      or maybe over time there is only one consciousness being born and reborn into everyone who ever lived and ever will live. This means that everyone you meet is a past life or future incarnation of yourself.
      Very much so. Except it is also the rock, the sky, the photon and the rabbit and it is called existence, manifesting itself in many different ways, pretending to be different each time. And since energy and matter are constant, there is no 'new souls' problem.
      Last edited by Serkat; 12-16-2007 at 12:31 PM.

    12. #12
      Wanderer Merlock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Gender
      Location
      On a journey
      Posts
      2,039
      Likes
      2
      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54
      Why go to such great lengths to try to bend reality to fit these concepts? It's a little ridiculous, really.
      Take an analogy: if I wanted to, I could train myself in martial arts, the use of cold weapons, and then I could find you and slaughter you ruthlessly. You would not be able to defend against my onslaught because I would make it my goal to kill you.

      Why then, if you are so bent on "reality" and think you are so wise and powerful while considering others deluded, do you obey the world instead of shaping it to fit your needs?

      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54
      Why do people think you get reincarnated at all?!
      No one gets anything. You and you alone can decide what you do. At any given moment in time when you don't have unlimited power and knowledge, yes, other beings can overpower you. But the world doesn't impose anything on you. You can choose to follow what you have or do what you really want, not caring about anything but your wish.

      You want to be able to fly of your own accord? Don't care about gravity and find a way to fly, on your own, without help, and defying gravity.

      Gods, reincarnation, the "truth" of all things...there is no objective truth.
      You can do anything due to being a conscious self-aware being.
      Why choose to be anything less and follow rules instead of making them?

      Please, someone fill me in, because I just can't grasp why everyone thinks the world, gods, anyone is more important and more powerful than them.
      Global depression much?
      Last edited by Merlock; 12-16-2007 at 12:58 PM.

    13. #13
      Drivel's Advocate Xaqaria's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      WhoIsJohnGalt?
      Gender
      Location
      Denver, CO Catchphrase: BullCockie!
      Posts
      5,589
      Likes
      929
      DJ Entries
      9
      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      Honestly, the obvious and not-grasping-at-straws answer to that question is that reincarnation is not true.

      Why go to such great lengths to try to bend reality to fit these concepts? It's a little ridiculous, really.
      What do you get out of this section, Gnome? You resemble a broken record. Save yourself some time and write a macro to respond to threads for you.

      The ability to happily respond to any adversity is the divine.
      Art
      Dream Journal Shaman Apprentice Chronicles

    14. #14
      Wanderer Merlock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Gender
      Location
      On a journey
      Posts
      2,039
      Likes
      2
      Quote Originally Posted by Xaqaria View Post
      What do you get out of this section, Gnome? You resemble a broken record. Save yourself some time and write a macro to respond to threads for you.
      Well, this is the Religion/Spirituality section, not Beyond Dreaming.
      Hence all the warnings and such.

      "Danger! Here be dragons! Enter at your own risk!"

    15. #15
      Drivel's Advocate Xaqaria's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      WhoIsJohnGalt?
      Gender
      Location
      Denver, CO Catchphrase: BullCockie!
      Posts
      5,589
      Likes
      929
      DJ Entries
      9
      Quote Originally Posted by Merlock View Post
      Well, this is the Religion/Spirituality section, not Beyond Dreaming.
      Hence all the warnings and such.

      "Danger! Here be dragons! Enter at your own risk!"
      Well I didn't mean to imply that I am offended in any way by his posts, only that he never seems to offer any real insight other than his basic "there is no evidence of anything more than the physical, therefore all religions are false" mantra and doesn't really seem to gather any new information out of the discussions he posts in. I could be wrong, which is why I ask. I'm pretty good at understanding people and why they do the things they do but gnome's motivations for posting in this section are a mystery to me.

      The ability to happily respond to any adversity is the divine.
      Art
      Dream Journal Shaman Apprentice Chronicles

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •