• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 23 of 23
    1. #1
      Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,775
      Likes
      36

      Smile A video (I think made my a theist...). "Atheists aren't that bad."

      Hey check this out (I hope I remember the youtube tags correctly):



      There is a heck of a lot of intolerance toward atheists in the United States, and I think this is a really nice video that tries to pacify some of the more aggressive ones. I would absolutely LOVE to see one for theists... I'm gonna search for one now, but let me know if you already know of one.

      Edit: Oh for goodness' sake, it's supposed to say BY a theist, not MY.
      Last edited by Mes Tarrant; 01-26-2008 at 01:07 AM.

    2. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      5,964
      Likes
      230
      That was cool, Mes.


      (Isaac Asimov, Steven Jay Gould, Carl Sagan...I loved those guys. )

    3. #3
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,833
      Likes
      6
      "my a theist", please try to get it right!

    4. #4
      Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,775
      Likes
      36
      Thanks MB!

      Quote Originally Posted by psychology student View Post
      "my a theist", please try to get it right!
      Yesss, did you read my "edit?" What a way to avoid the purpose of the topic.

    5. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,833
      Likes
      6
      That is athiest propaganda at its best.


      "tries to pacify some of the more aggressive ones".

      Ha!

    6. #6
      Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,775
      Likes
      36
      Quote Originally Posted by psychology student View Post
      That is athiest propaganda at its best.


      "tries to pacify some of the more aggressive ones".

      Ha!

      Ohhhh boy. You are such a problematic child. What is your problem with that video? There is nothing made up about it. If there was a similar one regarding theists, I would absolutely love to see it because I think I would definitely benefit from it. Honestly, could you please try to be a little bit more mature? And spell "atheist" correctly.

    7. #7
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,833
      Likes
      6
      I told you about the spelling thing, does it really matter.

      The video is not progressive at all: it takes a bible quote, and then contradicts it by giving a biography of great atheists. And amazingly that is the video.

      It could have shown down to earth accounts, but no.

      If there was a similar one by theists, it would recieve the same response from atheists that i have given, and I would bow my head in shame as it would be highly misrepresentative.

      It doesn't build bridges or preach understanding at all.

      It doesn't help atheism either.

    8. #8
      Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,775
      Likes
      36
      Quote Originally Posted by psychology student View Post
      The video is not progressive at all: it takes a bible quote, and then contradicts it by giving a biography of great atheists. And amazingly that is the video.
      Watch the rest of the video. There are nice statistics after about the middle or so of it, and then it shows some actors that most people look up to who happen to be atheists.

      About the contradicting the bible thing.. wellllll that's the point, isn't it? That the bible is wrong, at least in places?

      I really don't think you have a valid complaint. You're just annoyed.

    9. #9
      Consciousness Itself Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Everywhere
      Posts
      12,871
      Likes
      1046
      Mes, that is an excellent video.

      Quote Originally Posted by psychology student View Post
      That is athiest propaganda at its best.


      "tries to pacify some of the more aggressive ones".

      Ha!
      Is that all you have to say about it? Tell us where the video is incorrect or irrelevant. Thanks.

      Mystic, we will be looking forward to your reply, even though it will probably be some Youtube video that has nothing to do with anything or a collage of irrelevant photographs. You do remember saying that atheists are worthless, don't you?
      How do you know you are not dreaming right now? Maybe you are.

    10. #10
      Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,775
      Likes
      36
      Thanks UM!

    11. #11
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,833
      Likes
      6
      You implied that it was a progresive video:

      "tries to pacify some of the more aggressive ones".

      "made by a theist"

      It isn't. It certainly isn't "excellent" in this light.

      It uses a bible quote thats says that all those who don't believe in God are "vile" e.t.c, but without the acknowledgement of context. In the time it was written, more or less everyone was religious, and atheism was unheard of. Today this is not true, atheists are common thing and they are not "vile", they are normal people. The bad thing about this is that it implies that all religious persons have bibles for mouths and are defunct of independent speech; and that they all hold this intolerant view that all athiests are "vile", evil bastards who are going to burn in hell (thats the gist of it). It completely fails to acknowledge any diversity in the Christian, even theist perspective. Which is ironic, as I am a big fan of Steven Pinker, who was mentioned in the video, and yet I am a theist.

      I hope you understand what I'm saying.




      "I really don't think you have a valid complaint. You're just annoyed".
      No I think that I do. Annoyed? About what, I knew it was an atheist video before watching it, and it was factual, in a biased, un-contextual way.


      Although, it is less of a problem, I loved the irony of showing Watson, in an anti religious video (religion often accused by atheism of being unnecessarily intolerant) when he has, although a great contributer to science, demonstrated potential intolerance to race and sexuality in his lifetime!

    12. #12
      Consciousness Itself Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Everywhere
      Posts
      12,871
      Likes
      1046
      Quote Originally Posted by psychology student View Post
      It uses a bible quote thats says that all those who don't believe in God are "vile" e.t.c, but without the acknowledgement of context. In the time it was written, more or less everyone was religious, and atheism was unheard of. Today this is not true, atheists are common thing and they are not "vile", they are normal people. The bad thing about this is that it implies that all religious persons have bibles for mouths and are defunct of independent speech; and that they all hold this intolerant view that all athiests are "vile", evil bastards who are going to burn in hell (thats the gist of it). It completely fails to acknowledge any diversity in the Christian, even theist perspective. Which is ironic, as I am a big fan of Steven Pinker, who was mentioned in the video, and yet I am a theist.
      I keep coming across that sort of argument. Every time I see somebody posting a freaky quote from the Bible, a religious person jumps in and talks about how that is just how people thought at the time. Is the Bible the word of God, or is it not?
      How do you know you are not dreaming right now? Maybe you are.

    13. #13
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,833
      Likes
      6
      Who knows?
      But the point is that religious persons aren't as is implied in the video.

    14. #14
      Member Needcatscan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      602
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      Is the Bible the word of God, or is it not?
      Only when they want it to be. They're called "moderates". Just another facet of religion in need of eradicating. Either follow your holy book or don't.

      That's it! I'm posting in the unofficial pissed off thread!
      Last edited by Needcatscan; 01-26-2008 at 03:19 AM.

    15. #15
      Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,775
      Likes
      36
      Psych student, it implied no such thing to me. I wonder why it did for you.... ?

    16. #16
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,833
      Likes
      6
      didn't I explain it.

    17. #17
      Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Mes Tarrant's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Location
      New Zea-la-land
      Posts
      6,775
      Likes
      36
      Quote Originally Posted by psychology student View Post
      Who knows?
      But the point is that religious persons aren't as is implied in the video.
      Okie. This video is about atheists, if you haven't noticed. It's not about religious people. All the things that I said to introduce it in my first post came from me alone, not from the makers of the video.

      So I still don't see your problem with it. The likeliest explanation is that there really is nothing wrong with it.

    18. #18
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,833
      Likes
      6
      Well the video is fine, just not progressive. I just wonder what the militant ones are like?

    19. #19
      I love cuddling!! cuddleyperson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Gender
      Location
      England
      Posts
      848
      Likes
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by psychology student View Post
      Who knows?
      But the point is that religious persons aren't as is implied in the video.
      ah you are an agnostic, i was trying to work out what believe you had.

      Yes the video does take only a positive spin. As in no mention of Atheist murder's, rapists etc etc, it only covers the positive. It also only includes supportive statistics

      But we saw a similar video for Christians we would again see only the positive and only supporting statistics.

      Quote Originally Posted by psychology student
      Well the video is fine, just not progressive. I just wonder what the militant ones are like?
      I spend a few minutes looking online. I can't find any militant Atheist sites or videos that actually threaten. I find a lot of satire and insults to the concept of religion, how it is stupid, hateful, examples of religious people and how they are horrible people for it etc etc.

      Searching for militant Islam and Christian videos and sites, i quite quickly find death threats against on believers, often the two faiths fighting each other, but also threats against all non religious people, homosexuals etc

      Of course i didn't search taht well i simply looked at the first few google results, those sites and their links.

      So from my small investigation i can not find any attacks from Atheists or threats to hurt people. But i am probably not looking very well and ithey may be some death threats by Atheists, see if you can find any.
      Last edited by cuddleyperson; 01-27-2008 at 02:26 AM.
      Lugggs and cuddles and hugs for all!!

    20. #20
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,833
      Likes
      6
      I know!


      Agnostic?

    21. #21
      Banned
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      4,571
      Likes
      1070
      Quote Originally Posted by psychology student View Post
      But the point is that religious persons aren't as is implied in the video.
      Now who's making sweeping generalizations? If you honestly believe that there aren't people out there who think atheists are worthless, evil and vile, you might as well just down a jug of bleach; You're deluding yourself and there's just no hope for you at this point.


      Oh, wait, I forgot. They aren't Real Christians, are they? Real Christians know which parts of the Bible are lies. My mistake!

    22. #22
      I love cuddling!! cuddleyperson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Gender
      Location
      England
      Posts
      848
      Likes
      1
      oh... well here's is the definition of an agnostic:

      An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.

      SO basically they just say don't know and carry on with life.

      Since you replied to UM's question, " So is it the word of God?" when he was saying how he assumed the bible wouldn't change over time if it were the word of an all knowing never changing being, with " who knows?". I assumed that meant you took the view it is impossible to know if there is a God.

      Sorry if that "who knows" was aimed at another question and i am completely mistaken.
      Lugggs and cuddles and hugs for all!!

    23. #23
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,833
      Likes
      6
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
      Now who's making sweeping generalizations? If you honestly believe that there aren't people out there who think atheists are worthless, evil and vile, you might as well just down a jug of bleach; You're deluding yourself and there's just no hope for you at this point.

      I was trying to say that I'm not like that, and Im sure that there are majority are like me. Are you depressed and disillusioned with life? Because even if I made that mistake I wouldn't drink bleach.

      Quote Originally Posted by cuddleyperson View Post
      oh... well here's is the definition of an agnostic:

      An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.

      SO basically they just say don't know and carry on with life.

      Since you replied to UM's question, " So is it the word of God?" when he was saying how he assumed the bible wouldn't change over time if it were the word of an all knowing never changing being, with " who knows?". I assumed that meant you took the view it is impossible to know if there is a God.

      Sorry if that "who knows" was aimed at another question and i am completely mistaken.
      I can see how you could have deduced that. But, who knows?

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •