• 1 Post By Washwaver
    • 1 Post By Sageous

Thread: Trying to Wrap My Head Around FILD

Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      50+

Trying to Wrap My Head Around FILD

I have been attempting FILD for 3 days and I find the finger movements to be a good anchor for keeping the mind aware during the transition into sleep. I did experience some extreme hypnogogia like a loud ringing noise, and intense visualizations that became real during finger movments. This is a common feeling for me during WILDs and DEILDs. So out of the 3 attempts I went lucid once, failed the second attempt because I couldnt keep my adrenaline from rushing due to all the extreme hallucinations which caused me to wake up, and the third one I just fell asleep.

Most users report doing the finger method for 10-30 seconds and doing a reality check. And achieve a false awakening. They dont feel any transition at all. Which I find very strange.

Its hard for me to explain my train of thought around why FILD works the way it does for people, so Im just going to ask a bunch of questions.

Do you feel the transition during FILD attempts or just a false awakening?
      Why stop finger movements after 30 seconds?
      Why attempt a reality check after 30 seconds and not a longer period of time?
      The reason I ask these questions is because FILD is the only WILD technique that Ive read that has a time limit. For example alot of people use visualization to WILD. This does not involve a time and just involves visualizing something until it becomes real. To me I would think alot of people fail this technique because of 10-30 seconds followed by a reality check step.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      lots
      DJ Entries
      I have used FILD a few times during my various WILD attempts. I never knew about the 30 second thing. I always have gone to FILD when I was drifting toward sleep too soon during WILD or to enhance the focused awareness of my body during SSILD cycles.

I'm not one to follow the strict protocols of the various induction techniques. I have learned, instead, to use them in a way that works with the situation at hand.

I would not be going to a RC unless I was feeling the onset of lucidity in some subtle way rather than after a prescribed period of time.
      The more I gaze....the more I crave to see

When you next stand at cliff's edge....will you finally learn to fly?

Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      50+
      Quote Originally Posted by lenscaper View Post
      I have used FILD a few times during my various WILD attempts. I never knew about the 30 second thing. I always have gone to FILD when I was drifting toward sleep too soon during WILD or to enhance the focused awareness of my body during SSILD cycles.

I'm not one to follow the strict protocols of the various induction techniques. I have learned, instead, to use them in a way that works with the situation at hand.

I would not be going to a RC unless I was feeling the onset of lucidity in some subtle way rather than after a prescribed period of time.
      Yeah so the guides say do the finger movements for about 30 seconds and do a reality check no matter what. Their reasoning behind this, is because somehow the transition into a dream while performing the finger movements is not noticable at all. To my surprise there's alot of people that swear by this method saying that they did not feel anything and we're expecting the RC to be worthless but soon found themselves in a dream.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      lots
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by xpin2winx View Post
      To my surprise there's alot of people that swear by this method saying that they did not feel anything and we're expecting the RC to be worthless but soon found themselves in a dream.
      That's pretty cool....I'll have to give FILD a closer look on its own with that in mind. Thanks.

EDIT:
      I just went back and reviewed FILD protocol. What stands out to me is that the FILD technique should not be started until you are very close to sleep. That 30 second RC protocol makes a great deal of sense to me with that in mind......as does the possibility of FA's. I have experience False Awakenings at that point during SSILD......but that is generally a time when lucidity is often sneaking up on me.

Definitely going to give FILD a little more attention in my training.
      Last edited by lenscaper; 07-17-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Member Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class Vivid Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      the Pacific Ocean
      DJ Entries
      When we do FILD, our fingers do not move much and they move slowly. The dream is created quickly, so it's difficult to be aware of significant changes in the location of our fingers during the dream, especially if what we dream about is not significantly different from waking life.

Member Achievements:
      LD Count
      lots
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
      When we do FILD, our fingers do not move much and they move slowly. The dream is created quickly, so it's difficult to be aware of significant changes in the location of our fingers during the dream, especially if what we dream about is not significantly different from waking life.
      That is extremely helpful....thanks. I worked on FILD last night.

Member Achievements:
      3 years registered 1 year registered 1000 Hall Points

LD Count
      10-15
      My first WILD was via FILD, and i failed my reality check since i had false awakening for the first time and I wasnt expecting much, i just pinched my nose and went straight back to sleep. I started working on it again and I will be more aware but yeah, I can see why ppl cant see the transition between dream and reality mostly because it doesn't really exist.
      Asami likes this.

high mileage oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King Populated Wall Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      40 + Yrs' Worth
      Here & Now
      Quote Originally Posted by Washwaver View Post
      ...I can see why ppl cant see the transition between dream and reality mostly because it doesn't really exist.
      Huh? That's news to me!
      Sensei likes this.